The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Harvesting and One Tamriel

GatheredMyst
GatheredMyst
✭✭✭
Haven't been here since One Tamriel launched, so I figured that i'd come and ask the folks who might know better :)

I recently returned to the game, and brought a few friends with me. With that, i've been trying to make some crafted armor for them so that they can level up with some nicer equipment.

However, i've noticed that in going back to the "older zones", or the "lower level zones", i'm not finding any Iron, Jute, or the like. It's all stuff that is more appropriate to my current crafting level. While this is nice in theory, I do find myself often needing earlier level materials also so that I can make stuff for friends.

The question is.... how do I get my hands on that lower level stuff? Everywhere i've looked, it's all current-tier.

A little help to get this figured out would be much appreciated :)
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy the materials from guild traders and sell the ones you harvest. You can also check the price of the materials you have and the ones you want, and trade them in amounts that equal the prices.

I, personally, got my good batches of each material when I reseted my skillpoints.
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't been here since One Tamriel launched, so I figured that i'd come and ask the folks who might know better :)

I recently returned to the game, and brought a few friends with me. With that, i've been trying to make some crafted armor for them so that they can level up with some nicer equipment.

However, i've noticed that in going back to the "older zones", or the "lower level zones", i'm not finding any Iron, Jute, or the like. It's all stuff that is more appropriate to my current crafting level. While this is nice in theory, I do find myself often needing earlier level materials also so that I can make stuff for friends.

The question is.... how do I get my hands on that lower level stuff? Everywhere i've looked, it's all current-tier.

This is the grand and glorious One Tamriel answer to easy-bake crafting.

If you need older mats, and the devs are scratching their heads trying to figure out why you would, you can buy they from guild traders.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Dhukath
    Dhukath
    ✭✭✭
    The only way I've found to achieve this is a skill reset, then only put skill points in matching the resource needed i.e. 1 point in blacksmithing will give you mixed nodes of iron (1skill point) and rubedite (Bs at lv 50).
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way they designed it was that half the time you get mats appropriate to your crafting passive level (points spent in the first crafting skill) and half the time you get your character level. This is all you should ever need, or so the devs assume. As I said above, it makes for great easy-bake crafting and people don't have to think about mats because we are up to our noses in what we need. It goes great with the automated crafting add-ons, at least until the player gets banned for using them.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 21, 2017 1:32AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easier way is to roll a new toon and collect low level mats, put skill points in when you have enough mats.

In 1T all areas now drop 50/50 between you character level and passive level. So if you were cp160 you would get rubedite and iron in a 50/50 split. That's why I rolled a new toon for nothing but low level mats as I can control what I recieve. Crafting writs also give lower level mats when you don't recieve a survey but they are hit and miss as to which mats you recieve.
  • Baronh2o
    Baronh2o
    ✭✭✭
    I would also like to mention that the lower level mats are still present in the zone that used to be dedicated to them.

I have my blacksmithing maxed and if I go to the faction starting zones (where iron used to be the only thing you could find pre one tamriel) I still find iron. MOST of what I find is rubedite but every once in a while I will find an iron node. I will admit though, the amount that I find in this manner is not enough for any significant crafting.
    "Not all who wander are lost." - Tolkien

• ELDARTHVADER
    ELDARTHVADER
    ✭✭
    You can get from trader, or have your lower level friend, go farm the Jute/Hide/Ore.

Also once they start to level up there either going to have to get mat's from kill drops and deconstruct for mats. or place skill point in to Blacksmith/clothier so they can farm Mats at thier lvl.

so best you sell all the items you get from drop and buy mats for your lvl. other the above does take to much time!.

• GatheredMyst
    GatheredMyst
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say that I appreciate the responses.

Very useful information so far. Thank you. :)
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have CP360 character and i am finding iron, jute, etc all the time
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »

if your craft skills in those are at iron/jute/maple you will find those half the time.

half your nodes are at your character level or cp160 whichever is higher.
    half are at your skill crafting material level for those types.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    MoTeets wrote: »

if your craft skills in those are at iron/jute/maple you will find those half the time.

half your nodes are at your character level or cp160 whichever is higher.
    half are at your skill crafting material level for those types.

^^^ This.

Just to expand on his description. If your crafting passives (metalworking/tailoring/woodworking) are at level 1 and you are CP160+ you will find level 1 nodes (iron/jute/maple) half the time and CP160 nodes (rubedite/ancestor silk/ruby ash) nodes half the time.

This will continue to be reflected as you put skill points into the respective passives. With 2 skill points in metalworking, 1 point in tailoring, and 2 points in woodworking and CP160+ you can then expect to find ruby items 50% of the time in all materials, high iron ore and oak 50% of the time, but jute will still be the clothing material since it's still at Level 1 passive. Rawhide scraps from mobs scale to the tailoring passive as well - I can just never remember the levels of these.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said you need to skill reset and lower you crafting skills or play on an alt.

The issue I have with this system is it's just causing mudflation of end game materials, unless they continue to push new materials we're going to reach a point where there are so many C150/160 materials that they become worthless.

Surely they can find some kind of system which makes 50% of nodes your crafting tier and 50% a random material and keep different tiers of materials flowing as well as cutting the mudflation rates.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just feel like mentioning this for completion sake, by doing the daily crafting writ I often get random raw materials anywhere in between. Not that that's a reliable source short term.

I think the system works really good for the crafter character him-/herself, but it's not perfect for an alt. I love not having to visit a special location for a particular resource though.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a more interesting system would be let the players who have invested in the crafting skills choose their preferred node types?

Add a slider which lets them farm what they need for crafting as it will help give those invested SP more meaning as well.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are crafting a set of Level 24 gear it is probably for a Level 24 character. Since nodes are now character level 50% of the time, the Level 24 character needing the gear can grab it for you. In any zone. No matter where that Level 24 player goes, half the nodes they harvest will be Level 24 materials.

Basically,
    Pre-One Tamriel = any character can go to a specific zone to get certain mats
    Post-One Tamriel - a specific character can go to any zone to get certain mats

Also, crafting writs now reward you 25 pieces of random refined material with each writ reward coffer. If you are a master crafter who does writs day in and day out, you will start to stockpile significant amounts of lower level materials.

So I think the idea was that you will no longer be in a situation where every player can get every material all the time. Having a complete stockpile of all materials and being able to create any level gear at any time is reserved for master crafters doing max level writs each day.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    As others have said you need to skill reset and lower you crafting skills or play on an alt.

The issue I have with this system is it's just causing mudflation of end game materials, unless they continue to push new materials we're going to reach a point where there are so many C150/160 materials that they become worthless.

Surely they can find some kind of system which makes 50% of nodes your crafting tier and 50% a random material and keep different tiers of materials flowing as well as cutting the mudflation rates.

yes they could do that but why in the world would that be better than what we have now?

When in the world does 50% random make more sense than 50% related to your capabilities/needs when applied to everyone?

Why would you want say 5% (50% random ten random tiers) of all cloth flowing into the world being voidcloth if noty one single character in the world playing today is at levels where they will be wearing voidcloth gear? Why guarantee that 1 in 20 clothing nodes will spew out mats nobody in the game is using and more over force that onto everybody?

Why the go-to solution is so often"make others get stuck" and not "let those with issues get more options" is always baffling to me.

higher rates of useless mats flowing into the system that nobody wants wont help.

thats why the current system is nice for the "mass" game - the flow of mats is directly tied to the mass of characters at given levels and the mass of crafting skills at given levels.

The reason there is so much cp160 mats flowing in is... not random... not because zos hates voidstone... not lunar cycles... not curse from gypsies once scared by kresh... but because there are a lot of folks at cp160 and above or at tier-10 crafting and above that are gathering mats and harvesting drops and so on.

Cant have that tho...

Not enough folks farming stuff thats unrelated to anything except random cuz, you know, more random and less targetted is better, everybody knows that.

IMO, they need to remove the lower gear cap on mats (so cp160 can craft any gear level and cp10 mats can craft anything cp10 and below) AND divorce appearance from mats (so you can pick any look for say "argonian cloth" of your gear level or lower when you craft in argonian style.)

that gives folks more uses for the mats that are flowing in and doesn't force random screw mats on anyone.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then that's why I have a crafter and a main.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with everyone farming their craftable tier only all the time is you see mudflation of end game materials.

With housing coming in there would be plenty of chance for them to make materials of all levels valuable again, make things require different tiers of material and create a demand and reason for their existence.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    The issue with everyone farming their craftable tier only all the time is you see mudflation of end game materials.

With housing coming in there would be plenty of chance for them to make materials of all levels valuable again, make things require different tiers of material and create a demand and reason for their existence.

So because everyone can casual gather in sufficient quantites materials they can use or that are relevant to them, others cannot make money off them as easily?

Yeah. thats an issue now for sure.

However, whether or not one agrees this is a problem or thinks its a boon, i would argue that the much much much large hit to "harvesting gold off players thru mats" in 1t was thru the massive uptick in useful drops sets, drop set scaling, jeweling-all-drop sets etc which combined to lower the demand for crafted sets quite a bit and provide lots more high end decon trash gear created mats than casual nodes do.

Over 75% of the gear equipped on my characters right now is drops - not crafted. thats up a lot since 1T and will go higher when i get around to re-gearing 5 of the 12 who haven't been looked at for gear since 1T. Their inventory is stocked with drops for them to consider. before 1t it was around 59% drops.

By contrast:
    100% of my consumables equipped are crafted, were that way before 1T and will remain that way after 1T.

and to be even more to the point - the "prices" for mats since 1T have not seen drops for consumable and their mats prices at the same magnitude as equipment and their mats have. The difference is - the demand for crafted sets is down.

look at prices for tempers and other quality tokens that can affect/improve drop sets - have they suffered this massive mudflation or what?

On the big scale the drop in demand for crafted equip is more impactful on mats and prices than the nodes are.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• solangesimondsen
    Writs are another way to get the lower materials. Generally they are mid-level (not iron or jute, for instance) but you get "Shipments" that drop a good quantity of the mid-level and up materials, but not the current ones. I believe this is in preparation for the furnishing crafting that's coming in with Homestead, but it is useful if you are low on earlier mats.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a short-term need, your best bet is to have the lower level characters farm the mats themselves and supply them to your crafter, or buy them from a guild trader. If you have a long term need, the refined shipments from crafting writs are pretty decent - but since you only get one per writ and there are many mat tiers, it will take a while to build up a reasonable stock for all the tiers.