Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Anyone mind taking the time to explain One Tamriel to an old fart like me? (24yr old)

Bradleyastab14_ESO
Bradleyastab14_ESO
✭✭✭
Ill keep this brief as possible

1. If levels have been normalized across the board- does this mean there is no benefit to leveling, other than adding complexity? Does a level 15 do literally the same amount of poop as a level 40?

2. If the answer to the above question is no, then are champion points still a substantial thing at all?

3. Was the world really opened up? I really disliked how zones felt so claustrophobic due to being surrounded by mountains like in WoW, which has flying mounts to make up for it.

4. Does this have any impact on pvp? Last time i went into pvp with my level 50 i got killed really fast by one person, despite being full heavy spec with sword and board. I died like, in 5 seconds to one person, never pvp'd after that

Now, just my opinion here (correct me if i'm wrong)

If the levels were normalized, wouldn't the game become stale? Skyrim and Oblivians mobs leveled up over time the longer you played, got better armor, and evolved. What was once a street side bandit in hide armor is now a full fledged highwayman with deadric armor and enchantments. This kept the formula fresh for a really long time.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Low level toons are overbuffed to compete against CP160 NPC enemies. The leveling process is still for unlocking attributes and earning skills. It feels a little weird at times during the leveling process but a level 49 is more powerful than a level 3 due to having more skills and passives/better armor.
    2. CP are still substantial and the REAL progression system in the game
    3. When they say opened up it means no more faction restrictions. At any level, at any point in the story line, you can go to any zone in the game. Nothing was changed on the maps.
    4. PVP is it's own beast entirely. The level scaling system in PVE with 1Tam is much the same battle leveling buff you get in PVP if you go in at a low level, but the way damage and healing works in Cyrodiil is much different. People in Cyro usually are built to be very survivable or built to burst people down very quickly. Your normal PVE builds don't work so well in PVP

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Yes and no. Basically, everything under CP160 is scaled up to "equalize" them. To compensate, early levels have their health, magicka, and stamina buffed to the moon, so it's not uncommon to see your attributes decreasing as you level. However, everything else still levels normally. Gear gets better, skills progress, etc.

2. CP are absolutely substantial. If anything, they're more powerful than before, because they're the thing that lift you above the 160CP cap that everyone else is leveled to.

3. Nope, zones are still bordered by mountains and slaughterfish. The geography has not actually changed. But you can travel from zone to zone freely and not have to worry about the local fauna being either too weak or too strong.

4. To my knowledge, PvP hasn't changed that way. If anything, the rest of the game has been changed to mimic how Cyrodiil and the DLC zones battle scale. Like I said, CP points matter, when everything else is equalized.

Staleness is entirely up to the individual. Some people think One Tamriel killed the game, others think it saved it. There is still some sense of progression, but it's more subtle than before. This frustrates some people. Others find that they don't really care about that sort of progression, and care more about advancing their skills and gear.

The best thing to do is just hop in and see if it's to your taste. You may be disappointed, or you may be pleasantly surprised.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on January 17, 2017 5:43PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

1. If levels have been normalized across the board- does this mean there is no benefit to leveling, other than adding complexity? Does a level 15 do literally the same amount of poop as a level 40?

2. If the answer to the above question is no, then are champion points still a substantial thing at all?

3. Was the world really opened up? I really disliked how zones felt so claustrophobic due to being surrounded by mountains like in WoW, which has flying mounts to make up for it.

4. Does this have any impact on pvp? Last time i went into pvp with my level 50 i got killed really fast by one person, despite being full heavy spec with sword and board. I died like, in 5 seconds to one person, never pvp'd after that

If the levels were normalized, wouldn't the game become stale? Skyrim and Oblivians mobs leveled up over time the longer you played, got better armor, and evolved. What was once a street side bandit in hide armor is now a full fledged highwayman with deadric armor and enchantments. This kept the formula fresh for a really long time.

1. Levels no longer effect stats in a linearly progressive way--the distribution of attributes still matters, and you accumulate passives and skills as you level. So yes-and-no: now a level 15 is close to doing the same amount of poop as a level 40. What this change really effects is that gear sets, quality, and level matter as you level up. A level 15 in level 15 gear will outperform a level 40 in level 30 gear.
    2. CP still matters, and it matters on early level characters as you can apply it right away.
    3. The geography hasn't opened up (the zones are the same), but you never have to wait to level into a zone now--you can go to them in any order and with members of any faction.
    4. Not really--but if you are rocking a basic questing setup, that's probably your problem. Try the nonvet or no-CP campaigns, perhaps?

In response to your last point: I think the perception of progression in Skyrim is equally fake--sure the bandit has daedric stuff now, but so do you. I never felt like the game stayed any fresher than other models of progression.

Yeah, you are never really going to run into more advanced enemies in topside PvE based on your level, but you run into different stuff constantly just by moving around the world.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The real leveling begins at 50. Otherwise known as CP grind. One Tam opens up the world for you to go all over to farm delves, public dungeons, world bosses, and even questing to grind out CPs without the requirements of Cadwell's Silver and Gold. Being able to go anywhere at any level is just a side effect to the real need it answered - CPs aka vertical progression.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people are really excited about the ability to do anything at any time. Others of us (a minority) definitely see the system becoming stale and "flat' and miss a feeling of progression and growth.

The bigger issue is the story, which is ESO's biggest strength, becomes complete gibberish if done out of order.

I'm not sure when Oblivion's greatest flaw metamorphosed into one of its strengths. I think, maybe, I'm the old fart here.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Levels are scaled. You may notice your toon feeling weaker the closer you get to level 50 and the scaling isn't helping as much.

For PvP or at least dueling, I noticed my level 27 felt much stronger than max level toon.
  • Mwnci
    Mwnci
    ✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    3. When they say opened up it means no more faction restrictions. At any level, at any point in the story line, you can go to any zone in the game. Nothing was changed on the maps.

Such as finishing the main Coldharbour quest line and
    defeating Molag Bal
    before you've hit level 20. Not too thrilled with that when it happened, :neutral:

I much preferred the original way, when walking into a certain area could get you killed, even from trash. Now the only thing to look out for are their nameplate gem level thingys (those red squares next to their name to indicate difficulty, not sure what they're called).
    Edited by Mwnci on January 17, 2017 5:46PM
    Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin,
    Wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
    Ahrk fin norok paal graan fod nust hon zindro zaan,
    Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If 24 is an old fart, put me in the grave already.

One Tamriel let people pick whatever race they want and still play PVE together without faction restriction. It's so that if you make an Altmer and your casual friend makes a Dunmer, you can both meet up in any starter city and do things together. They just can't go to Cyrodiil together. It made it so that "middle" level zones don't feel empty because now you have everyone every where.

I have some issues (regarding crafting) but it did bring a lot of new people to the game so it's a win in the end.
    Edited by max_only on January 17, 2017 6:16PM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »

This is similar to what I was thinking.... lol

24 is not old.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    max_only wrote: »

This is similar to what I was thinking.... lol

24 is not old.

(Psst, guys, I think that's the joke)

Also, I figured I'd link this concurrent thread in case you haven't run across it yet. It addresses your progression-related questions, with substantial points on both sides.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's basically the same system as in Skyrim and Oblivion.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.This is why I did not see any NPCs / enemies with a stated level. Honestly I am not sure if I like this idea or not. For one, no more steam rolling older content, one shoting things without much effort. That truly made me smile back in 2015. Oh well.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is now. I simply strolling along and working towards completing the main story as I work towards obtaining all of the skyshards that are available to me as I play.

• hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.This is why I did not see any NPCs / enemies with a stated level. Honestly I am not sure if I like this idea or not. For one, no more steam rolling older content, one shoting things without much effort. That truly made me smile back in 2015. Oh well.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is now. I simply strolling along and working towards completing the main story as I work towards obtaining all of the skyshards that are available to me as I play.

That system has been proven to be amazing in Oblivion and Skyrim. People love it there, and people love it here :)
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Levels haven't been normalized. Characters attributes are being scaled up if you're below 50 in many environments and cp160. The obvious benefit is leveling skills, unlocking skills as well as leveling and progressing different skill lines.

A. A Lower level or pre-50 can possibly produce similar damage to a higher leveled character but absent of passives and skills, they aren't nearly powerful or effective. Gear also plays into this in a positive and equally negating manner.

2. If the answer to the above question is no, then
    are champion points still a substantial thing at all?

A. Yes, CP are still substantial and noticeable regardless of how a character is being scaled.

A. The world is more open in terms of the required quest locking
    Take for example silver and gold zones.

4.Does this have any impact on pvp? Last time i went into pvp with my level 50 i got killed really fast by one person, despite being full heavy spec with sword and board. I died like, in 5 seconds to one person, never pvp'd after that

A. I can't answer His well as I don't PvP so to speak. I do PvEin th campaigns but I've not felt any noticeable changes between PvE and PvP on lower than 50 characters of mine.

You really need to jump in and play it for yourself. Your experiences will differ depending upon the character, gear, cp and real time decisions.

The game no longer forces certain paths in terms of PvE and other than the old veteran dungeon requirements, everything is now open once you hit level 10+ within reason.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. There is benefit. All those skill points to spend in nifty passives... all those skills that get unlocked, morphed and maxed... that is where the benefit is, not in mere levels these days... those count for much, even though lowbie characters are overbuffed to make up for that lack so they still have a chance in cyrodil...

2. Champion points are still the main thing to look at. That's where the real character progression is these days... (gear aside, of course)

3. Nope, and won't until someone invents much better computers and servers. Since those zones are mostly to keep lag down to a manageable level... but now you can go anywhere right from the start, instead of having to wait for cadwells silver/gold. if you want to - I personally prefer following the questlines anyhow.

4. Not so much. You still get wiped in seconds by the mastergankers, but everyone is battle-levelled, so even lower characters can have some successes against the more rank and file population of cyrodil... PvP in ESO can be nifty, or annoying. If you run with a warband, you can contribute nicely even if you are merely adequate at PvP (like me), but sometimes... the enemy just has the superior numbers and then you slink home in defeat (can still be fun though if the fight is close enough that it stays a -fight- and not a rout). And every so often you meet someone all too eager to show off their big PvPness, and then you end up feeling sore because they take you before you even know what is happening, and you wake up by the nearest respawn location and curse them for being such a pain in the bu... uhm... posterior.

But I would not consider the game stale... the "level equalization" just means you are always levelled to the content, no overlevelling mobs, but also no running into overlevelled enemies because your wandering feet took you on an exploration tour and you found the bridge from stonefalls to the rift, stormhaven to bangkorai, or something like that... no matter where you go, that bandit jumping out of the woods will be a threat, but always a manageable one. (soloing the world bosses on the other hand... well, better bring friends, maybe the best players can do it, but the buff means they are now a challenge for a even small group instead of the pushovers they sometimes were back before OT)

Of course, gear means very little now until you hit level 50 and CP160. But rejoice, all gear you find scales to your levgel too, so you can always spend some time farming one region for a nifty set... and never have the problem that you stumble upon a chest, but sigh as its in a lowbie region and the gear inside just wouldn't be worth it...

The -really- fun part is that with OT, all alliances are mixed up. No longer do AD, DC and EP quest in their own regions, now everyone is questing in shared regions. Which means... you can invite the guy who ganked you in cyrodil for a mug of mead in windhelm. Much better for roleplayers, lemme tellya.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That system has been proven to be amazing in Oblivion and Skyrim. People love it there, and people love it here :)

Let's not rewrite history here. The entire reason why enemy damage and resistance is not determined by gear in Skyrim is because of how clumsy and immersion-breaking it was in Oblivion. Dungeons full of Goblin Warlords or of Marauders in all Daedric were incredibly dumb.

The scaling system of Skyrim works precisely because Bethesda learned their lesson from how badly they implemented it in Oblivion.

(I swear, next we're going to start hearing about how great the cookie-cutter dungeons in Oblivion were.)
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's not rewrite history here. The entire reason why enemy damage and resistance is not determined by gear in Skyrim is because of how clumsy and immersion-breaking it was in Oblivion. Dungeons full of Goblin Warlords or of Marauders in all Daedric were incredibly dumb.

The scaling system of Skyrim works precisely because Bethesda learned their lesson from how badly they implemented it in Oblivion.

(I swear, next we're going to start hearing about how great the cookie-cutter dungeons in Oblivion were.)

OK, so that system has been proven to be amazing in Skyrim. People love it there, people love it here :)
  • Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, at 24 you are probably younger than the average player. Don't assume that Elder Scrolls players are in high-school and college, many of us fell in love with it twenty years ago when we were in high school and college!
  • ZOS_JohanaB
    ZOS_JohanaB
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've moved this thread to Players Helping Players
    Staff Post
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1 - no - the "gain is horizontal" now - as you level you unlock more skills more trees more options and gain capabilities like bar swapping and the like. there is a huge difference in what a lvl 40 magica sorc can do vs what a level 5 mag sorc can do as far as handling threats. That is why, for instance, you tend to see the starter zones" with fewer open air mobs of three and mostly just one guy or one wolf but when you get to DLC or final zones you see trios and up wit5h spellcaster, bruiser and archer or other diverse groups of threats.

2 - CP matter.

3 - yes - the characters i have leveled since !t have done so in vastly different ways than the ones from vet days or from post-vet pre-1t days.

4 - I think pvp always scaled but maybe not the same way.

But really, truly, for #1 there is almost no actual difference in scaled 1T and the old way "if you ran the old content as intended".

I the old days you got better stats but as you moved thru content following the path and breadcrumbs so did your opposition. You could go off the path but then odd things could happen like getting useless materials, reduced xp, etc. You would upgrade your gear as you advanced because "more powerful" gear became available.

Now, the difference is regardless of "the path" the scaling makes it play just like you "are on the path". Just like in the "on the path" days your enemies and you are on basically even keel. Your mats and rewards are suited to you. if you dont get your armor up to snuff as you level and let it lag behind then you start underperforming, just like it used to do if you did not get the higher bonus armor.

Difference now is everywhere is played at the "on the path" levels.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only ES game I played was the first, have not gotten into the other games as I was busy playing other solo RPG games.

I am here playing ESO due to other MMO games being super greedy. ESO has a nice balance has not moved to a P2W model that many MMO games are now moving towards.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    24! Far from old
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)