Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Farming mats

Wolfshead
Wolfshead
✭✭✭✭
I have been farming mats to make 160 gear now for while and i start to wonder if the are so much unevenly when to scraps the animal drop for if im lucky i get maybe 2 or 3 but most of time i get 1 scraps while when i farm ore, silk and wood i get always 3 of them.

If you have max lvl in carft 50 then you are master in this game which mean you should get same amount on all 4 type of mats you are farming at end game but that not fact i would like see that scraps get increase drop amount when kill a animal.

Honest it make no sense that ore, silk and wood i get always gave 3 mats and scraps most of time only gave 1 mats even if gather gang of animal drop is very uneven.
Edited by Wolfshead on January 7, 2017 11:37AM
If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • RazielDERF
    RazielDERF
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing since Beta and I have all crafting maxed out and I also do a ton of farming. I can say with experience that the drop rate for materials, even with emails from hirelins, is always random. If you try to make sense of it, it never will. You will always get an undetermined quantity of materials and it will never be too steady of an amount. This is why I made multiple characters have the ability to receive hirelin emails twice daily so I get plenty of materials all the time from several characters.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mats like you describe are not in short supply.
    i cannot say i have ever seen myself run into a shortage of mats for ruby hides.
    So whether its random but balanced, less per drop but more drops or whatever, it doesn't seem to me you find fewer of the hides in casual play.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• superleeds19
    superleeds19
    ✭✭
    Best way to get more mats is running dungeons and then deconstructing everything you get. I've built up huge supply of all doing this way and it's much more fun!
  • Vash747
    Vash747
    I killed every mid-range in sight
  • Vash747
    Vash747
    Mudcrab
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have keen powers of observation, OP. Many of us feel as you that there should be more uniformity in drop rates. Instead we have "zos logic".

th?id=OIP.M7cab4b5a5bffa6e2b55426b81d5bfeceH0&pid=15.1
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, when I first reached CP 160, I did feel the shortage of ruby mats at first, I even bought the mats from guild store to make my first legendary NMG and Hundings Rage, since I mostly soloed and at most did public dungeons I learned to play and also gathered a lot of mats.

Now I have over 20 stacks of each material type, and lots of tempers too. So as far as the OP is concerned I would suggest buying the mats if you are looking to craft, then later when you want to experiment you will be literally flowing in mats.

Coming to the point that you mentioned, the drop rates are all RNG, even for low level mats in case of leather/hide/ruby/whatever scraps. Why this is so well like the person said above it's ZOS Logic.
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    You have keen powers of observation, OP. Many of us feel as you that there should be more uniformity in drop rates. Instead we have "zos logic".

th?id=OIP.M7cab4b5a5bffa6e2b55426b81d5bfeceH0&pid=15.1

• Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different places to farm mats op. You want hide go to old Orsinium dungeon, kill harpies and bears. Ore Gold Coast, ore everywhere. All about finding a good farming route.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some areas in the game, public dungeons and overland, that are full of animals to abuse. Farm there.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reasoning might be that it's easier to find a good amount of animals to kill over nodes, or that animals also drop other things to sell.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    The reasoning might be that it's easier to find a good amount of animals to kill over nodes, or that animals also drop other things to sell.

I gave one big example of easy to farm hide. There are many, many more. The pig farm, the bears and wolves in Auridon, the delve in Orsinium that has the daily quest. I actually find farming for nodes more hit and miss than ore and hide. That being said, many nodes in starter islands as well, point is they are there the OP just hasn't figured out where to look yet.
  • ELDARTHVADER
    ELDARTHVADER
    ✭✭
    Wolfshead wrote: »
    I have been farming mats to make 160 gear now for while and i start to wonder if the are so much unevenly when to scraps the animal drop for if im lucky i get maybe 2 or 3 but most of time i get 1 scraps while when i farm ore, silk and wood i get always 3 of them.

If you have max lvl in carft 50 then you are master in this game which mean you should get same amount on all 4 type of mats you are farming at end game but that not fact i would like see that scraps get increase drop amount when kill a animal.

Honest it make no sense that ore, silk and wood i get always gave 3 mats and scraps most of time only gave 1 mats even if gather gang of animal drop is very uneven.

sorry dont agree, there are Animals everywhere. where ore's and plants not a little tougher to farm.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Collected over 3k Raw mats and 20+ Kutas in 6 hours.

Go to my twitch page and view my most recent videos showing the loop.

Now everyone can be a millionaire. PS. Don't take my nodes :smiley:

Luke
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lukums1 farming materials is good, but not good if you want to become a millionaire fast... it's actually pretty slowpoke compared to trading.

I don't want to think about the amount of time and my life I would have spent just on achieving this amount of mats. I prefer to buy them...
    24d0bbo.jpg
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on January 10, 2017 12:03PM
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    @failkiwib16_ESO

I don't know what to tell you I've made (realistically) 700k in 3 days...

I don't think that's too bad especially with people with no market knowledge and newbies starting out on there way to riches.

Granted that 700k is equated to estimated... 7-8 hours of farming.

BUT I think this is better than praying to RNG jesus to get let's say a spriggan sharpen or spinners or elegant where you may or may not get anything of value.

At least this way you're 100% guaranteed to get gold, and a lot of it.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    @RazielDERF

The are not random at all i get mini 3 ore, 3 wood, 3 silk but only 1 skins so drop are not random anymore sadly and i have also play since beta so i know who works.

@STEVIL

The point is that is shortsupply point is again the i always mini 3 ore, 3 wood, 3 silks at carft lvl 50 and 8 out 10 time as i kill a animal only get 1 skins the point is at lvl 50 in carft you are master and i should get same amount from all mats even if is a animal i kill which we dont get.

@ELDARTHVADER

I have disagree with you since one tamriel went live it is alot easy to farm ores, woods and silks now then before but skins is same as was before one tamriel went live.
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    .@Lukums1 I didn't mean that it was bad, it's just slowpoke compared to buying low and selling high, of course if you're new and don't have gold to begin with, then collecting flower & raw mat is the fastest way of obtaining a steady income.

Farming for the right sets and motifs, praying to RNG is the worst of all grinds, my friends have done that and cashed in the same amount of gold, then if they had just farmed mobs for gold & vendored all their loot lol

@Wolfshead the drop rate is much lower, but it is not unobtainable, it's actually the most sold and traded raw material. It's also the only raw material you can farm by killing and gaining xp, and the spawn rate of these creatures are often higher than that of other materials.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfshead wrote: »
    @RazielDERF

The are not random at all i get mini 3 ore, 3 wood, 3 silk but only 1 skins so drop are not random anymore sadly and i have also play since beta so i know who works.

@STEVIL

The point is that is shortsupply point is again the i always mini 3 ore, 3 wood, 3 silks at carft lvl 50 and 8 out 10 time as i kill a animal only get 1 skins the point is at lvl 50 in carft you are master and i should get same amount from all mats even if is a animal i kill which we dont get.

@ELDARTHVADER

I have disagree with you since one tamriel went live it is alot easy to farm ores, woods and silks now then before but skins is same as was before one tamriel went live.

the bolded item would make sense if and only if "all things being equal" were true between farming and grinding.

Are there more animals than say ore deposits? Do the animals respawn quicker than ore deposits? Do you gain more by grinding down some wolves overall than by grabbing up some ore?

To me, it seems for instance the answer for all three of these is YES - in favor of the animals being the most productive.

So, honestly, i dont see any logic behind 1 animal = 1 plant in terms of scrap yield making any sense in light of those other things. i also haven't noticed any hardship or shortage of those mats in terms of overall gains since 1t.

Its easy ti look at one element of an equation and construe imbalance - in this case drop per unit - but even though 20 is higher than 10 5x20 is not less than 10x10 just because the "second number in each" shows an advantage of 2 to 1 for the second calculation.

Edited by STEVIL on January 11, 2017 4:26PM
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    .@Lukums1 I didn't mean that it was bad, it's just slowpoke compared to buying low and selling high, of course if you're new and don't have gold to begin with, then collecting flower & raw mat is the fastest way of obtaining a steady income.

Farming for the right sets and motifs, praying to RNG is the worst of all grinds, my friends have done that and cashed in the same amount of gold, then if they had just farmed mobs for gold & vendored all their loot lol

@Wolfshead the drop rate is much lower, but it is not unobtainable, it's actually the most sold and traded raw material. It's also the only raw material you can farm by killing and gaining xp, and the spawn rate of these creatures are often higher than that of other materials.

@failkiwib16_ESO I 100% agree.

I rather the node farm this way (there is a light at the end of the tunnel) so to speak.

I've grinded for motifs and spriggen & spinner with some success so that's not bad, but getting x amount of materials with potents and fortified nirn crux just seems (more sane) then praying to RNG in the HOPES you get something which you may NOT.

Hehe
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion