The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can You Also Play Normally On Test Server?

HumaKnight
Hi

I've never been on a test server before so I know very little about it but I would like to do my part because I'm loving this game so much :p

1. What can I do to be useful? Is there a set plan they lay out for you to test or are you funneled into (and can only play) the new content?
2. I'd like to know can a normal game be played on the test servers? (for when I wanna play instead of testing for a change)
3. Can I use my own character?
4. How often is the server reset? (Progress lost)
5. Can I choose the level of my character that I play there or is there faster ways to level up?

I don't mind losing progress as I'd play only when I got bored of testing or whatever, I just also like the idea of being able to try new areas etc as and when I want.
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can play the game normally on PTS. However, when there is new content to test, the character databases are cleared and then first the live NA characters are copied to the PTS, usually stay there for about two weeks, then they are gone again and the live EU characters are copied. The progess you make on PTS will not be transferred back to the live servers.

As for creating new characters on PTS, you can do so either normally or choose a provided preset (usually one below lvl 50, and one or two lvl 50 with a predetermined amount of CP). If you create a preset character, it also has all skills leveled to maximium. You still have to activate them with skill points, but can test them at their maximum effeciency.

Also, on PTS you get something over 5000 crowns every day, and (usually) everything in crown store costs just 1 crown. So if you don't have acces to a DLC area by default, you can just buy the DLC there. You will keep this stuff with your PTS account for as long as the character copies are not switched.

And for your very first question - what you can do to be useful: report bugs, if you encounter them, and provide feedback to the things you try out, be it positive or negative. The ingame feedback option is quite good for both of this.

EDIT: I forgot, if you want to try / do group content on PTS this might be harder, when there is no new content to test, as most players will be on the live servers.
    Edited by feyii on December 1, 2016 9:12AM
  • HumaKnight
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

I was sort of hoping to be able to play normally with my 'toon' as this isn't my internet connection I'm on now (at a friends house) and I'm normally here a lot and it's when I get to play most. so I sort of have to choose between PTS or normal servers as I might not have enough room for both installs.

I like the idea of being able to chop and choose which content I can play so losing progress wouldn't really matter to me, and I wouldn't mind using a premade, but I would like to be able to at least create how it looks.

• Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    feyii wrote: »
    And for your very first question - what you can do to be useful: report bugs, if you encounter them, and provide feedback to the things you try out, be it positive or negative. The ingame feedback option is quite good for both of this.

Also, when a new test cycle starts, ZOS indicates on the patch notes what they would like you to test and set up official feedback threads regarding each of these things. Use the /feedback option in game, but also come to the PTS forums to post on the feedback threads :)
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    HumaKnight wrote: »
    I like the idea of being able to chop and choose which content I can play so losing progress wouldn't really matter to me, and I wouldn't mind using a premade, but I would like to be able to at least create how it looks.

No worries with that. The presets only let you start at a specific level / CP and with maxed skills, other than that you create the character just like all others - selecting race, looks and name.

• HumaKnight
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply :)
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    So excited about housing that I downloaded PTS and played for a few hours yesterday even though Homestead is not there yet.
    Some mistakes I made:
    - Should have used the drop-down template character options on the top left of character build screen. Not doing this meant starting at level I and grinding through ColdHarbour only to be dropped into the world in the starting zone with no money, no armor, and no way to test housing.
    - Put too much attention into character creation as I did not understand that the server will be reset and all this work will be lost when ZOS enables Homestead.

To any player thinking about getting involved in the PTS when Homestead drops I just wanted to give you some detail. I suggest you use the drop-down at the top left of character build screen. Doing so means you will arrive in game with Uber gold, Mega crowns, more motifs, mats, potions, and crown boosts than you can hold in your inventory and/or bank. The first thing that I did was to expand both of these two maximum. Even doing that you still will not have enough space to unlock all of the character options and buffs available to you.
    The world into which you are dropped is unknown to you so you can't just pop through wayshrines to anywhere that you want to go. Look for the little "covered wagon" icon on your map to make it easier to get where you want to go quickly. Even so, expect to do a little running so invest all of the crown riding lessons early on. For example, I wanted to get to malabal tor. To do so I had to use the navigator "covered wagon" in Wayrest to get to Grahtwood and then jump another navigator to malabal tor and then mount my horse and run to the Bandari trading center.

Hope these tips help any PTS noobs.
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry @Fudly_budly When they update the pts with homestead it will reset again and you could choose the template character with gold and skills ;)

"I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."