Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Newbie: what is the impact of stat scaling?

mashugana
mashugana
tl;dr How big of a difference does stat scaling make on combat? For example, if I am using a Magika based ability, what is the actual difference between hitting with 25 in Magika vs. 50 in Magika?

I ask because I'd love to spread my stats between Magika, Health and Stamina so I can enjoy weapon and class based abilities. However, if this gimps me to where I cannot play then I don't want to do it. I've leveled a Magika Templar to 38 and I think I have the basics of the game down - but I still do not understand how signifigant stat scaling is.

My goal is only PVE quest content and nothing more. I do not care if a build is weaker as long as it can survive the base game. After 38 levels I think I need to be able to do 2 things: fight groups of 3 normal mobs or one end quest elite mob. Those seem to be my toughest fights.

If 10 Magika = 1% damage then I probably can spread my points around, have fun with Magik/Stamina builds, and still kill end of quest bosses. However, if the scaling is more drastic then I might have to choose Magika or Stamina. Not sure.

Thanks for any advice :)

PS: My 38 Templar is Magika based, all points in Magika, zero in Stam or Health. I found if I keep buffs up (like Major Sorcery) then it really helps. I find I can fight groups of three and end quest bosses but it takes some skill. I may be doing that wrong too :)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of the ability to stack any 1 stat to high heaven with no real diminishing returns, it's fairly ineffective to spread your stats out across the 3 pools. Instead of excelling at one thing, you're left not good at anything. Since your goal is PVE questing, I'm sure you could manage with points in both magicka and stamina, you'd just have a harder time.

It would be pretty easy to test in any case. Look at your tooltip damage for a magicka ability like jabs, go respec your attribute points and take half out of magicka. Then look again at your tooltip and compare.
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Thank you both :)

Nestor: The math made my head explode - thank you - awesome for the math nerd in me :)

The Outsider: you said, "it's fairly ineffective to spread your stats out across the 3 pools"

Does this mean I just put everything in Magika? Even gear? Or should I put some points into health for pure survability?

On my 38 Templar I can get 2 shot pretty easily. I am not sure if this is the nature of the game - i.e. I need to block and dodge and cannot stand still like in WoW. Or is my Health too low.

Thanks again.
    Edited by mashugana on December 16, 2016 8:40PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the type of content you're doing you could allocate some points into health. Whether that's on your gear, attribute points, or food (and I would use a type of food that has health on it), that's up to you.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mashugana wrote: »
    Does this mean I just put everything in Magika? Even gear? Or should I put some points into health for pure survability?

On my 38 Templar I can get 2 shot pretty easily. I am not sure if this is the nature of the game - i.e. I need to block and dodge and cannot stand still like in WoW. Or is my Health too low.

Thanks again.

Your a Templar,. your main attack heals you (Jabs morphed to Puncturing Sweep) As long as you have Mana, your going to stay alive. Your two skill rotation is Reflecting Light as an Opener, then Puncturing. Throw in a Spear for ranged attacks and your all set. But do slot Breath of Life or other Healing skills from that class too. Yes, other skills are good too and can make up other rotations, but really, a Templar can two skill this whole game and never die.

Yes, you want all Attributes and all Armor Glyphs into Magic. You want to wear sets that benefit a caster, lots of dropped sets for that. For your Jewerly, you will use Spell Power or Spell Cost Reduction or Mana Regen depending on your build.

As for standing around, that's not a good idea. The key to this game is to be Agile, Mobile and Hostile. Even using Jabs, move around while they are doing their thing. Learn to Block, learn to Dodge, learn to Bash (really, learn to bash).

Edited by Nestor on December 16, 2016 11:28PM

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you on the PC? NA? If so, find me in game tomorrow morning (will be on a limited amount tonight) and I can show you a few things about your class. Send me an email in game and we can hook up.

10 minutes and I can open your eyes with a Templar.

• mashugana
    mashugana
    "The key to this game is to be Agile, Mobile and Hostile."

lol - awesome.

I think I am getting the hang of it - thanks all.