Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Can someone explain sets to me?

PieMaster1
PieMaster1
✭✭✭✭
..And traits too, while you're at it? I am kind of stuck on this research of traits. When you research Impenetrable on a Jack for example, can you just research anything with the Impen or should you only save trait-learning for the most powerful effects? Or should not worry about traits at all?

Now to my main question. How do weapon sets work with the traits? I know you have to either loot or craft them. Let's take Death's Wind for instance. It says I need at least 2 traits on..whatever. What does that mean? Do I need to have 2 traits for every piece of armor/jewelry/weapons so I can craft it? Can I just choose just any two traits or do they actually matter? Lastly, what are the best ones to take for PvP?

If you could just give a short summary of how this works and what I should do, it'd be appreciated.

I'm a StamNB if that helps.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Research is for that item. So you have to research impen for every item you want to craft it on. Ie med, chest, heavy legs, light hat , med gloves etc You research from finding items that have that trait on it and researching them at the crafting table. You can also get other crafters to make low level items for you to research. Many will do this for free until you get to researching Nirnhoned, which you either have to pay for or provide the stone to them to make the item.

For your example, Deathwind. You need to have 2 traits researched for each item you want to craft. So if you want to craft a med chest, you need to have researched 2 traits for medium chests. If you want Impen, then impen needs to be one of them.

For PvP, Impen is best all the way for armor. Sharpened for weapons.
    Edited by Katahdin on December 5, 2016 7:40PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The UESP is a good place to start:

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Clothing
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Blacksmithing
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Woodworking

Yes, it does help to research the more popular traits first ... since those are the ones you'll use for crafted gear.

You only need two traits learned on each specific armor piece or weapon piece that you're going to craft. Jewelry is currently not craftable and is not a part of any craftable set.

For a Death's Wind piece, it takes knowledge of two traits and being at a Death's Wind crafting station to even make it ... but any armor piece or weapon can only carry one trait.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 5, 2016 7:33PM
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To research impenetrable on a jack, you need a jack with impenetrable.

Best practice is to research the powerful traits first, but start researching traits as early as you can. The time required doubles for each trait on an item you research. So the first trait you research on a jack will take six hours. The second takes twelve. The third takes 24. The ninth and final trait takes 64 days. There are skills to reduce those times though, including reducing the maximum time to 30 days.

When crafting a set that requires x number of traits, like Death's Wind, you must have that number of traits researched on the item you wish to craft in order to craft the item in that set. So you need to have researched two traits on a jack to make a Jack of Death's Wind. If you, for example, have two traits researched on jacks, but only one on boots, you'll only be able to craft the Jack of Death's Wind. You won't be able to craft the boots until you research a second trait on them.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will take you a LONG time to research each trait for each type of item, so go out of your way to 1-research the traits on the particular things you like/use (i.e. medium) and 2-put points into being able to research more than one thing at a time.

Crafted sets (so far) cannot include jewelry (fingers crossed for someday[TM]), but a combination of crafted and dropped can be really nice. I like that crafted gives you the choice of appearance; this edges it ahead of dropped - and that goes even though some of the dropped sets have really nice bennies.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • PieMaster1
    PieMaster1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Research is for that item. So you have to reasearch impen for every item you want it on. Ie med, chest, heavy legs, light hat , med gloves etc

For your example, Deathwind. You need to have 2 traits researched for each item you want to craft. So if you want to craft a med chest, you need to have researched 2 traits for medium chests. If you want Impen, then impen needs to be one of them.

Just now, I had a impen trait researched that did..250 crit resistance or something like that. Now the next timer is longer if I want to keep researching it. Can I research that trait to give it more value, or do I need to find a better piece of armor with the trait on there?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once you know a trait for a piece (i.e, impen for chest) you know it. It's value will increase as you craft higher level pieces (scroll around on the crafting bench and look at how the values change).

Each subsequent trait on the same piece (i.e. chest, legs) will take longer. So do a variety of researches (some you know no traits, some you know a lot of traits) at a time to minimize frustration.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Research is for that item. So you have to reasearch impen for every item you want it on. Ie med, chest, heavy legs, light hat , med gloves etc

Just now, I had a impen trait researched that did..250 crit resistance or something like that. Now the next timer is longer if I want to keep researching it. Can I research that trait to give it more value, or do I need to find a better piece of armor with the trait on there?

Once you research it for a particular item (ie med chests) you have it for medium chests, you do not have to research another piece for more powerful items, you just craft the more powerful armor to get higher trait characteristics.

Thats why most people research low level white items for traits. The green, blue, and purple can be deconned for the upgrade mats which are more valuable.
    Edited by Katahdin on December 5, 2016 7:38PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The UESP is a good place to start:

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Clothing
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Blacksmithing

Yes, it does help to research the more popular traits first ... since those are the ones you'll use for crafted gear.

You only need two traits learned on each specific armor piece or weapon piece that you're going to craft. Jewelry is currently not craftable and is not a part of any craftable set.

There are good sets that only require two or three traits researched to make.

However the total number of traits you can research is 9. There are a few sets that require you to have all 9 traits researched.

If you research Impenetrable for a heavy cuirass, that trait is researched for any cuirass. You'll have to research impenetrable for a light armor shirt and a medium armor jack. You have to research each trait for each piece of armor and each weapon.

Once you learn a motif, you can make all the weapons and armor in that motif.

Its a good idea to pick traits you want to use and learn them on each item. If you research from drops only you might be able to make a set, but the traits might be a little random. You can ask crafters in your guild or possibly zone chat for research items. I know people in 4 of my 5 guilds will do any research trait items for free, except that you have to provide the nirncrux for nirnhoned items

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, fortunately you have to research each trait (on each piece) only once. The improved power on a crafted piece is using improvement items (such as dreugh wax, rosin, or tempering alloy) in the improvement option on the crafting table. Adding points into the improvement passives will reduce the quantity needed to improve.

Level of the crafted piece also matters. Just like dropped sets, crafted armor and weapons will have better stats the higher the level. But, the higher the level, you will also need a higher quality of refined materials (such as rubedite leather, ruby ash, or rubedite ore).

Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 5, 2016 7:44PM
  • PieMaster1
    PieMaster1
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Once you know a trait for a piece (i.e, impen for chest) you know it. It's value will increase as you craft higher level pieces (scroll around on the crafting bench and look at how the values change).

Each subsequent trait on the same piece (i.e. chest, legs) will take longer. So do a variety of researches (some you know no traits, some you know a lot of traits) at a time to minimize frustration.

Ohh so that's how it works. Just making sure I'm understanding though..The trait already researched scales as you craft higher level gear, but if you wanted to have Nirnhoned to add to the Impen on a chest piece, that's what makes the timer longer? If I find a piece of armor with higher stats than another, would their scaling go higher or would it just even out to a cap eventually?

Do people put all traits on armor/weapons or would that just take too long?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohh so that's how it works. Just making sure I'm understanding though..The trait already researched scales as you craft higher level gear, but if you wanted to have Nirnhoned to add to the Impen on a chest piece, that's what makes the timer longer? If I find a piece of armor with higher stats than another, would their scaling go higher or would it just even out to a cap eventually?

As I mentioned above, each armor piece or weapon can only be crafted with one trait ... even though you may sometimes need 8 or 9-trait minimum research to craft a set.
  • PieMaster1
    PieMaster1
    ✭✭✭✭

As I mentioned above, each armor piece or weapon can only be crafted with one trait ... even though you may sometimes need 8 or 9-trait minimum research to craft a set.

Oh yeah, sorry. While I was typing that reply, 5 others replied and now I don't think I can delete my posts. Last question, I promise :P What if I find something with a higher stat? Like 12% mundus effects and I find one with 15. Can I replace it?
    Edited by PieMaster1 on December 5, 2016 7:53PM
  • negbert
    negbert
    ✭✭✭✭
    The divine (mundus effect) trait just needs to be researched once on any piece of armour that you want to craft. When you craft an item you select its trait from those you have researched. The potency of that trait will depend on the quality of the item (i.e., white, green, blue, purple or gold).
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Oh yeah, sorry. While I was typing that reply, 5 others replied and now I don't think I can delete my posts. Last question, I promise :P What if I find something with a higher stat? Like 12% mundus effects and I find one with 15. Can I replace it?

Please, ask questions. I have three guilds that invite a lot of new players; answering questions goes with the territory. :)

The timer goes up for each new trait you research for an item. Using the cuirass as the example; the first trait, you researched Impenetrable, takes only a few hours. The next trait, whichever you decide on [I'll use a random one for the example} like Reinforced, will take twice as long to finish the research. The next one, Well-fitted [or whatever], will take longer, and so on. The 9th trait will take around 30 days to finish.

Using tempers to improve items will raise the armor or damage rating. If you're making metal armor or weapons, you need honing stones to improve items to green. Dwarven oil to improve them to blue. Grain solvent to take them to purple, and the last one I can never remember, alloy something to go to gold. You can get all of the tempers from refining ore. You can also get tempers from deconning green/blue/purple items you get for loot [rng, so it isn't definite you'll get tempers back]

Spending the skill points to improve the skill for using tempers is a good idea. The lower that skill, the more tempers you'll need to use to make sure you won't destroy the item instead of improve it. When you have that ability maxed, you'll use 2 honing stones for green, three dwarven oil for blue, 4 solvents for purple, and 8 alloys for gold.

Edited by JKorr on December 6, 2016 2:22PM
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    We've moved this thread to the Crafting forum where it should be more helpful. :)
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post