The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why not just leave crowns at the lower price?

Vorcil
Vorcil
✭✭✭✭
Anyone with a right mind just waits until the crown sales days; I've purchased 45k crowns.

I honestly don't see any logic behind it
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did the same during the sale.

You'd be a moron purchasing at max price.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I forget that I work in marketing and this kind of thing is not obvious to everyone. OP, you answered your own question in your first sentence:
    Vorcil wrote: »
    I've purchased 45k crowns.

@wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Vorcil
    Vorcil
    ✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Sometimes I forget that I work in marketing and this kind of thing is not obvious to everyone. OP, you answered your own question in your first sentence:

oh snap
  • Milicent
    Milicent
    ✭✭✭
    They do it so we buy lots, I got 30k to buy mmm well I don't know yet lol...
    ————
    (\_/)
    ( O_o)
    o(“)(“)
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Milicent wrote: »
    They do it so we buy lots, I got 30k to buy mmm well I don't know yet lol...

90 crown crates. >:)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they were always the same price most people would only buy crown when they know they need them. When they put them on sale people like you (and me) buy extra to save for later.

Which firstly means at least some people will buy crowns they don't get to use, and wouldn't have bought otherwise. And secondly means some people will end up buying things from the store they wouldn't have bought otherwise, thought some combination of feeling like the discount makes things more worthwhile (because effectively everything you buy with the crowns is discounted too, so items that are normally too expensive may now be more reasonable), simply feeling like they want to spend some of their money now they've got it, prices seeming more reasonable when compared to a high crown balance (if you normally buy 750 crowns a 4,000 crown item is expensive, if you've just bought 11,000 in one go it doesn't seem so much) and simply the ease of doing it since the crowns are already on your account so you don't need to go through the whole process of putting in your bank details.

Incidentally a lot of these are similar to the reasons many games use a fictional currency to begin with: it makes it harder to work out what you're spending (which is why it's almost never a 1:1 exchange rate, or even something like 1:10) and it feels like you're not spending real money at all, it's just points on your account. Although there are also legal reasons as well.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got 10 bucks right now.

When they release crown crates another ( Discount Crown Sale ) will surely follow.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lukums1 wrote: »

When they release crown crates another ( Discount Crown Sale ) will surely follow.

@Lukums1 really doubt it since a bunch of crown sales JUST finished and crates come tomorrow..
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

@Lukums1 really doubt it since a bunch of crown sales JUST finished and crates come tomorrow..

@MissBizz

You don't think they wanna continue cashing in hard?

I feel like they would.

I get that too, I'm locked and loaded none the less I wouldn't be surprised the money grab is strong with ZOS.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

absolutely savage
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

A crown sale for crown crates? Probably not. However, Christmas is just around the corner here, so I'd say it's very likely we'll see a discount sooner rather than later.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Acid_Glow
    Acid_Glow
    ✭✭✭
    45K Crowns!!!

PS4 Username AcidGlow
    {}Guilds{}
    Marmalade Boys
    ============================================ Characters ======================================================
    Morel Mackernasy Mag DK DPS
    Fuji-tora Magicka Mag Sorc DPS
    Heals-with-Skooma Healer
    Sajin Komamura Stam Night Blade Khajiit DPS
    Fire-King ReinHeardt Orc Stam DK DPS

• Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't see any logic behind it

Seriously? Limited time sales are such a common thing because they work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_promotion

Plus in the case of ESO it effectively undermines the value of the 1500 crowns per month that come with the subscription and allows them to put bigger price tags on stuff. Which is good (from a certain perspective).
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The OP makes an interesting point. You have to remember, when a player buys Crowns, they aren't a real item - there is no actual product, no shipping, etc. (Yep, I do understand that some cost went into creating the software code that powers each item in the Crown Store - but it's minimal and that makes the Crown sales exceedingly profitable).

I'm not saying don't run sales, as these work and why not? But, wouldn't it be good to find a better balance between profit and player satisfaction in the standard pricing of the Crowns? I am certain they'd sell more - and potentially retain the same overall profit margin - by balancing the full price (=lower the price).
  • Moltyr
    Moltyr
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I forget that I work in marketing professional scamming and this kind of thing is not obvious to everyone. OP, you answered your own question in your first sentence:

Fixed
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lowered price is the official price. The marketing tactic is to lead people to believe that they have a limited time to get a deal, and must buy. It's a tactic used throughout the business world to get consumers to buy when they don't actually need, and sadly, it works very well. If the sale price became the normal, players would be waiting for that normal price to go on sale. And think about it, buying them on sale makes people feel as though they got a deal, even though the sale price is still ridiculously high. Treating consumers like cattle because people fall for it.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on December 1, 2016 12:34PM
  • Fodore
    Fodore
    ✭✭✭✭
    It creates more money, even though th crown packs are cheaper, more people buy them creating more money. They also sell a lot of crowns when there isn't sales, most people don't think.
    Before judging a man walk a mile in his shoes.
    After that who cares?
    They're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You purchased 45k crowns just during the sale

OMG why?

No wonder they're adding crown crates.
    I have 31k but that's an accumulation from ESO plus, and I'll buy 5500 on a sale I question my own logic of buying 5500 or two during a sale considering my crown total now.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on December 1, 2016 3:42PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Martan
    Martan
    ✭✭✭
    I can only speak for myself but I would have purchased more crowns and more frequently if the price was lower. I got a fixed budget each month that I can spend and I won't set up a savings account just save more money for the next crown sale.