Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crown Crates... wanted to post my thoughts on it. Warning 「Positive post」

MaxwellC
MaxwellC
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
In all honestly I feel crown crates aren't really a bad thing, I'm probably on the minority who feels that way about them but for example I have ESO+ so I get 1500 crowns free every month when my subscription reoccurs. I literally didn't buy anything until the crates had dropped because nothing really interested me and even before they dropped I didn't look to see what they'd offer I just thought "Well I'm not going to use these anytime soon anyway so why not".

Crown crates may seem like a rip off because you're not granted an item of your desire at any good rate (like 50% of the time) but it really isn't and I feel it will serve as a crown sink hole. Crown crates and things like it do generate a lot of income for the developer (Look at Runescape for example). When I played Runescape and they had their micro-transaction store pop up, at first I was annoyed because the game I enjoyed and love, I felt would soon get corrupted. Thanks to their micro-transactions it has allowed the game to progress smoothly and still be around even after 15 years.

So to close I feel everyone shouldn't be so up and arms, it doesn't provide a P2W function other than potions,poisons, and EXP scrolls (which you could easily make more powerful versions of each of them using in game material that is free). I look forward to the next season of crown crates which I believe is the nature one (Spriggan looking stuff); although I'd prefer a lava one since my characters are both DKs.
-MC
不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
Coined by Maxwel
l
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do want to add one thing that I forgot, ZOS should remove certain things like racial/gender styles that you do not meet the requirements for. Example would be the Argonian style well none of my characters are a lizard and I only play a Redguard and a Brenton so I should receive anything that is related to that style; other than that I believe it's fine.
    Edited by MaxwellC on December 2, 2016 3:49PM
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    double post* whoops
    Edited by MaxwellC on December 2, 2016 3:48PM
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • AnviOfVai
    AnviOfVai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown crates may seem like a rip off because you're not granted an item of your desire at any good rate (like 50% of the time) but it really isn't and I feel it will serve as a crown sink hole.
    -MC

" I feel it will serve as a crown sink hole."

crown sink hole.

The ground is ESO, the person is a player:

girl-falls-through-a-sinkhole-o.gif

made me giggle ;)
    "I appear at my lord's behest, or perhaps I was always here, and you merely lacked the ability to see me."

PS4 - EU

AD - Pet Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - 160
    DC - Warden - Werewolf - in - progress - 160
    DC - Templar - Tank - 160
    DC - Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - in - progress
    EP - Dragon Knight -Fire Tank - 160
    EP - Nightblade - Damage Dealer - 160

• MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ^lol that's pretty funny
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in same position. Except I had bought the assistant banker. The stuff in the crates is all pretty cool though, so I bought a handful. Actually got more than I thought I would from all the complaints on forums.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    I do want to add one thing that I forgot, ZOS should remove certain things like racial/gender styles that you do not meet the requirements for. Example would be the Argonian style well none of my characters are a lizard and I only play a Redguard and a Brenton so I should receive anything that is related to that style; other than that I believe it's fine.

We're looking into removing race-specific items in future Crown Crate seasons.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we then trade in those worthless argonian things I've got? I will never make one.
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In short, its an opportunity for people to gamble with real money for virtual items in games of chance.

Your view of that will determine everything else.
    It is what it is....and there are things locked behind this system that aren't accessible otherwise.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Good. I'll never make an Argonian
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be great if the team would consider letting us directly purchase items as well, instead of offering us a money sink with no actual guarantee of the items we were looking for. There are so many more new items tied to the gambling boxes than were put out for direct purchase this month, and many of those are new, unique items, not reskins of old ones. This model is extraordinarily player-unfriendly.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • nexxus_ESO
    nexxus_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I agree with this. I think the crates could be less controversial if they made a few changes.

1] Publish the odds. (I might not like the odds, but I cannot fault ZOS for them if they are honest and up-front about them)
    2] There shouldn't be any race or gender locked items, or race and gender locked items should be able to convert for gems, or swap for something in the same, or lower tier.
    3] All items should be convertible to gems. (Because tastes differ, and just because someone at ZOS thinks an Apex item is desirable and highly sought after, doesn't mean everyone will agree.)

Would this change the fact that the crates are designed to bring in the maximum amount of money, no. Does this mean you don't end up paying more for an item you want, not entirely. But it does improve your chances of at least being able to get something you're happy to have, and always something you are at least able to use.
  • nexxus_ESO
    nexxus_ESO
    ✭✭✭

This is a good step and very welcome. Could you possibly consider excluding any potential gender-locked items as well? There aren't a lot of those in-game, but those would be just as unfair as race-locked items. =)
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great, thanks!
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno Does that mean that the racial specific items from this season will eventually be available for purchase?
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »

@ZOS_GinaBruno Does that mean that the racial specific items from this season will eventually be available for purchase?

You already know the answer to that question. ;)
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Man they don't even care anymore.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You already know the answer to that question. ;)
    One can hope. I don't give a crap about storm atronach stuff. It is the race specific Argonian stuff I wanted. If I could get those I could ignore everything else.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While people are asking for probably impossible things, how about making items in the clown crates available for outright purchase eventually? Not, before anyone has a meltdown, the themed mounts/items. The lower level "consolation" prizes like the black mane lion, clouded leopard, red wolf?

I know full well there's a snowballs chance in Oblivion, but asking can only get me in trouble with the mods.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    While people are asking for probably impossible things, how about making items in the clown crates available for outright purchase eventually? Not, before anyone has a meltdown, the themed mounts/items. The lower level "consolation" prizes like the black mane lion, clouded leopard, red wolf?

I know full well there's a snowballs chance in Oblivion, but asking can only get me in trouble with the mods.

I would love if they did this. These items had no business being exclusive to the crates. Limited time... okay I'm fine with that. Style parlor never should have been. Especially the stuff that was on the pts before crown crate announcement.
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I would love if they did this. These items had no business being exclusive to the crates. Limited time... okay I'm fine with that. Style parlor never should have been. Especially the stuff that was on the pts before crown crate announcement.

I feel that move was also poor form. Honestly, I'd be perfectly okay with crates if the only exclusive items were the themed drops. What does that hurt? You still got people dropping fat stacks to get the apex rewards, AND you have people buying the lower tiers outright.
  • GraniteDevil
    GraniteDevil
    ✭✭
    There are responsible people in the world who have the money to do this (and are not addicts even though they may gamble). Those types of people love this kind of thing.

I think it's just fine that Crown Crates are a thing.

What bothers me is other people (who don't like Crown Crates) trying/wanting to limit Crates for people who actually want them. And implying (or outright assuming) that anybody who buys them is at risk of becoming (or is already a full-blown) gambling addict. It's *deeply* troubling in fact.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel that move was also poor form. Honestly, I'd be perfectly okay with crates if the only exclusive items were the themed drops. What does that hurt? You still got people dropping fat stacks to get the apex rewards, AND you have people buying the lower tiers outright.
    I was just so blindsided by this. When style parlor was on pts I decided I was going to buy two items for my Argonian for sure. When they announced crown crates I thought I was still okay. These were shown on pts in July, they won't be in the crates. I can just finish the look my character had on pts and forget about the crates existence. They both appeared in crown crates exclusively. :(
    Edited by JimT722 on December 2, 2016 6:29PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong thread.
    Edited by Elsonso on December 2, 2016 6:35PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are responsible people in the world who have the money to do this (and are not addicts even though they may gamble). Those types of people love this kind of thing.

What bothers me is other people (who don't like Crown Crates) trying/wanting to limit Crates for people who actually want them. And implying (or outright assuming) that anybody who buys them is at risk of becoming (or is already a full-blown) gambling addict. It's *deeply* troubling in fact.

Eh I suppose. My main concern is that the boxes will eventually become the only way to get cool new stuff. Should be a cash shop option along side the gamble one, please both crowds. I don't mind gambling in the real world, but don't find any enjoyment in the practice in virtual worlds. Hard enough to convince myself to spend cash on pixels, impossible if it's just a stupid chance at pixels. I gamble irl for the chance to make a buck, and it's okay if I don't. I don't gamble for actual tangible items I want or need, I just buy them outright.
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Man they don't even care anymore.

My thoughts exactly. Just laziness... they know the numbers, how many people DON'T have a cat or lizards? Oh well screw em'
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Locking things into a gambling system is already limiting players, but you're worried about some players wanting to limit the amount of gambling folks can do? You kind of have it backwards in terms of who initiated what.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • AjiBuster499
    AjiBuster499
    ✭✭✭
    All I have to say about the whole "Crown Crates = Gambling" is, I've seen worse. At least we can convert what we don't want, and we can use the converted currency to get what we do want. I've seen Premium RNG Boxes as I like to call them that the devs themselves posted the chances in the forums for. According to the numbers those devs had posted, the chances of getting worthwhile stuff was <1%, with no conversion mechanic like we have here.

So yes, I don't find them bad at all really.

My two cents.
    Edited by AjiBuster499 on December 2, 2016 7:44PM
    tfw your sig gets wound back in time.
    Pterenophobia is the fear of being tickled by feathers.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Why not simply let us trade us the collectibles for gems? Even at the bad conversion rate it's better than being stuck with an item a player doesn't want.
    Or at least let us delete anything we don't want from our collection.
    Edited by Kendaric on December 2, 2016 10:20PM
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • praxis
      praxis
      ✭✭✭
      I'd even be willing to pay a premium to just buy gems outright so I could select the specific things I want and not even screw around with the crack boxes.

I'm a collector and a completist who bought most of the Crown store items offered because I enjoy the variety of options and liked supporting the game I play all the time. Basically the Crown crates got that out of my system, since it's just not feasible to "collect" anymore. So....thanks?

Zos, you probably would have ended up with more of my money just offering the goods at a fixed price, but I guess it's cool to know that no one here seems to be really listening to what the most passionate fans of the game are trying to tell them.
    • jkolb2030
      jkolb2030
      ✭✭✭
      Delete original comment..

to be constructive tho, I hadn't found too much wrong with the crates either...aside from getting about 3 to 4 evening gowns on my male character lol.
      Edited by jkolb2030 on December 2, 2016 9:41PM