The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Flat value vs Percentage value

Kyye
Kyye
✭✭✭
I really need to stay off of the forums! I'm that person that can't math, so theory isn't a very strong suit. But there is one thing bothering me... Flat values seem nice because I can say "oh this and this will give me this!" Percent on the other hand destroys me. What value is percent calculations using? And I'm speaking in general, there is no clear indication. Like recovery for example, pop a pot and grab that 20% but 20% of what? Base recov or character sheet recov? And CP is all percentages...

It'd be lovely if someone could explain how these values work overall...
XBL GT: CWB Hempire
Bright moons guide your steps.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I can give you an example:

Percentage would be, let's say

Base value of 100, 20% potion on top

100*(1.2)=120

Flat value of 20 would be

100+20=120

If you get for example another 10% buff (and 10 flat to show advantage of percentages) on the percentages, the percentages stack on more than flat values:

Percentage double buff:

100*1.2*1.1=132

Flat double buff:

100+20+10=130

So depending on the situation, percentages buff your stats more than flat values and vice-versa.

Usually, the higher the Base value, the more effective percentages become, with a Base value of 500 we get:

500*1.2*1.1=660

500+20+10=530

Hope this helps you. Stacking percentage buffs is mostly more effective as eso works with high numbers the thus get buffed more by percentages than flat values.

Examples where flat values can be better would be: mace 10% resistance ignore against flat sharpened trait of 5k or nirnhoned vs reinforced on armor.

Edited by Masel on November 30, 2016 9:42PM
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Kyye
    Kyye
    ✭✭✭
    Exceptional. Thank you

One question, under The Lady do these resistances stack with your character resistance in a flat value?
    Edited by Kyye on December 1, 2016 10:18PM
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Kyye wrote: »
    Exceptional. Thank you

One question, under The Lady do these resistances stack with your character resistance in a flat value?

I'm not sure if I get the question... What do you mean? The Lady Stone increases the Physical Resistance by a flat value, and this flat values gets increases by divines armor traits: 1280*(1.075)^7=1952. Can you tell me what exactly you want to know?

Any percentage that increases your physical resistance gets applied after all flat values, so the Lady stone gets multiplied by that amount too. So if you're at 8k without the stone and get a 10% buff, you land at 8800 physical resistance. With the stone in full legendary divines armor it would be 9952*1.1=10947.
    Edited by Masel on December 1, 2016 10:54PM
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Kyye
    Kyye
    ✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    Exceptional. Thank you

I'm not sure if I get the question... What do you mean? The Lady Stone increases the Physical Resistance by a flat value, and this flat values gets increases by divines armor traits: 1280*(1.075)^7=1952. Can you tell me what exactly you want to know?

Any percentage that increases your physical resistance gets applied after all flat values, so the Lady stone gets multiplied by that amount too. So if you're at 8k without the stone and get a 10% buff, you land at 8800 physical resistance. With the stone in full legendary divines armor it would be 9952*1.1=10947.

I should have specified The Lady in the champion points tree
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Masel92 wrote: »
    Exceptional. Thank you

I should have specified The Lady in the champion points tree

That would have been helpful, yes :D
    As it is a percentage value, it is applied after all flat value increases, so yes, it does stack with them. The higher the Base flat value, the more percentages do to it. In the case of damage reduction, percentages will work against you to certain extent . The less damage you take due to flat mitigation, the less the percentages will do.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Kyye
    Kyye
    ✭✭✭
    So there's a point to where you could substitute say 7h for 6h 1m just because of the diminishing return? Hmm I like that idea. Thank you, engaging in these conversations help me a lot more than skimming through some old forum threads.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    REGEN=((Base+Set Bonuses+Enchants+(Mundus*(1+(# of Divines*(Strenght of Divines/100))))+Infusion)*(1+(Optional Willows Path 5p)/100)+Drink)*(1+(CP/100)+(Passives/Buff #1/100)+(Passives/Buff #2/100))

RESOURCES=((Base+Enchants+Jewelry Traits+(# of Attributes*Strenght of Attribute)+Set Bonuses)*(1+CP^0.56434/100)+(Mundus*(1+(# of Divines*(Strenght of Divines/100))))+Food)*(1+(Passive/Buff #1/100)+((Passive/Buff #2)/100))
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing about the math in this game, it is fairly simple if you understand the equations. Here are the underlying equations for the Magic Characters so you can see what the various formulas are

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/pts-2-1-2-sorcerer-arithmagic/

As far as the Diminishing Return, yes, in the Champ System there comes a point where it is better to spend 10 points in a new Star rather than say, spend them on the last 10 points in another star. Also, to an extent, the Passives you unlock may be more important to how you play than what any raw damage or mitigation numbers are going to do for you.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kyye
    Kyye
    ✭✭✭
    It's all coming together nicely. I've found it common sense to apply 5% from 10 points then 1% from the last 10 points in a star. An example of your statement, though I play a magicka DK I've built around the exploiter perk. It let's me deal more damage with my whip as well as keep very constant pressure with my dots. Combined with a charge lightening destro for group. Solid