The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Player housing?

• Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A simple interior would be fine with me. Just having a place of one's own would go a long way in making the world feel like a place where my character dwells.

I agree, even if to start they are generic and hopfully later become more customizable,
    A place of your own and hopfully friends can visit is great. I know at start might be all houses but would like at some point other options such as a tower and cave.
    Edited by Krainor1974 on February 7, 2016 7:09PM
  • Thiskers
    Thiskers
    ✭✭
    Other options could be like how LOTRO did their player housing.
    You would walk up to a portal on the out skirts of a zone and there would be a portal. When you walked into the portal a window would pop up that listed several neighborhoods. Each neighborhood had several different plots with a house on it. Each plot varies in size. Small, Medium and Large. Some plots were utilized specifically for guilds. Each plot either had a weekly or monthly "rental fee". (i can't remember the duration). If you lapsed your rent, your items you had stored there would go to a "broker". If you paid your back rent to get it current you did not loose your plot. If you didn't pay back rent for "x" amount of weeks your plot would come available for the next person to come and rent. The broker held your items for you until you picked it up.

Each plot had "hooks" you could use to decorate the area inside and out. The smaller the plot the fewer the "hooks". The larger the plot more "hooks".

Another option is how "Horizons" had their system set up. Horizons is now called "Istaria: Chronicals of the Gifted"

Their system was they had single plots and guild plots. Guild plots consisted of a centralized plot for a guild hall to be built with 3 - 6 plots for guild members to build their own personal house. Each plot had a set amount of space. What you put in that plot was up to you, as long as you didn't go out of the perimeter of your specifically owned plot. I remember on my plot I had several silos built that was basically more storage for goods. I had a blacksmith station, alchemy station and an Enchanting station. All connected wiht winding paths that connected everything together.

When you went to start construction on a building it would let you see the building you were going to construct. You could move it and rotate it to how ever you liked and was able to place it where ever you liked, as long as it didn't go outside the perimeter. Once you found where you wanted to place it and placed the new building, the building would look as if you had just "broke ground" no ceiling, no walls, nothing but the ground excavated with ropes around the area for the building.
    To build the building, you would have to look to see what was required for the building to be built by clicking on the area. And go gather the materials and add them to that building.
    As you placed required materials into the area for said building the graphic would update with partial walls up and scaffolding around the building. It would progressively become more complete as more required items were added.

I hope that when eso housing is added, a mixture of the two ideas I are in some form incorporated to the update.
    Edited by Thiskers on August 24, 2016 5:52PM
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good but the houses are already in game I've been too the reapers march huge manor , you can't enter in but its physically there. That's the one I want so I went to see it not on PTS , they're in game you just can't enter properties.
  • undefeatdgaul
    undefeatdgaul
    ✭✭✭
    We want housing, we want housing, we want housing!
  • mythlover20
    mythlover20
    ✭✭✭
    SedoUmbra wrote: »
    I doubt this will happen. Because it is an MMO there are thousands of people that will want a house and they won't be able to make thousands of houses for players (I assume). It would be an awesome idea if you could have a house, but problems of breaking into other peoples houses would be a problem.

I can see that being a problem. I wonder if they are able to make it similar to entering the Harborage and other solo quests? As in, when I enter my "house" it registers as solo so only I am inside. That way multiple players can buy the same house. Not sure if that is possible but just thoughts! Would be cool

Black Desert Online had a pretty good system. Set houses were available in each town but were accessible to all. Everyone could buy them, but you were the only one in *your* house unless other players came in as "guests." The house itself was completely empty, so you could designate what each room was yourself. Furniture was craftable and available to buy, and you could arrange it however you want, and were able to really make it yours. It was one of my favourite parts of the game apart from my guildmates, and kept me playing and crafting a lot longer than I otherwise would have.

I do like the idea @thepurestone had, of a real-estate market, with player-created towns. Of course, they were right about Tamriel being overrun, but that may be worked around by only certain areas being available for development. You can't overrun the environment or we'd have no where to hunt or gather resources.

It would be a pretty big change to the game, though, so even though they've said it's coming, it's doubtful it will be here soon. There'll be a lot of kinks that would need ironing out first. Though there was that datamined crown store list that contained purchasable furniture...
    "In the darkness all is the same, all is equal. It is the light which casts the shadow, and turns to evil that which simply was." - Me.

mythlover20/The Plant Baron

Officer in Blood Moon Traders trade guild.

Blood Moon Traders is a laid back, werewolf-themed Trade Guild with a stable trader in Sentinel, in the Alik'r Desert. We have weekly raffles and auctions, as well as a variety of events throughout the week, and a monthly Yard Sale. Join us and you'll have access to a fully-stocked Guild Hall, a Discord Server, and a website. In return all we ask for is active participation in our events or making 25k gold in sales each week. Search for Blood Moon Traders in the Guild Finder or message me in-game for an invite.
  • opera_ghost
    opera_ghost
    Soul Shriven
    I'm of the opinion that the land-masses aren't large enough in this game for there to be player housing. (Separate from people sharing the 'same' housing space... being an instanced unit like GTA-Online or something similar.)

Star Wars Galaxies had a similar housing system to what was mentioned earlier. In which a guild bought a plot of land to build their 'city' around. And someone took control of housing placement (size/style) based off guild size/investment and the like. But Galaxies had numerous servers with a minimum of 6 planets in which those cities could be built on.

With the megaserver technology.. we essentially have 1 server in which for that to be built. Because we flip as needed to allow for everyone to exist and yet not in the same world. (Rather than numerous servers based off playstyle.)

I'd like to see it. But in an RP sense, it'd be excessively off-putting for someone to claim owning the same plot of land that I do. There's just not enough 'wasted/empty' space that I've seen in this game to allow for people to purchase their own plots of land to homstead (ala Hearthfire.)
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in an RP sense, it'd be excessively off-putting for someone to claim owning the same plot of land that I do.

This is exactly how its going to work.
    & if you went onto PTS right now you could see some of the houses in place.
    You will be able to take a room at the in or a small house in a village/town, you could probably sit around in the square and watch people go in & out of your house in Narsis.

but!
    If that matters to your sense of RP, you'd be better with a house that has a walled garden around it.
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Theryl
    Theryl
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with in-world housing ala SWG is that the game needs a maintenance system or you end up with vast tracts of abandoned houses. ESO is going with an instanced system and the plan seems to be (based on the PTS and data mining) for 1-2 inn rooms and 2-3 housing locations per zone. I'm sure they'll be adding more if it proves to be a success.

I'd love to see some different types of housing such as caves, ruins, ships. and outlaw hideouts for different kinds of characters.
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theryl wrote: »
    The problem with in-world housing ala SWG is that the game needs a maintenance system or you end up with vast tracts of abandoned houses. ESO is going with an instanced system and the plan seems to be (based on the PTS and data mining) for 1-2 inn rooms and 2-3 housing locations per zone. I'm sure they'll be adding more if it proves to be a success.

I'd love to see some different types of housing such as caves, ruins, ships. and outlaw hideouts for different kinds of characters.

Ship, farm, crypt, outpost
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a crypt such as those in graveyards, the stone domed building with stairs going down to a cavern with several rooms.
  • MehmetCan
    MehmetCan
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see housing implemented to ESO.

Do we have any official info about player housing ?
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MehmetCan wrote: »

Next update after the current pts one. Its *** housing with stockbuildings.
  • Devlin69
    Devlin69
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy done.

New very large land mass (not flat so we can have houses on hills or houses in fields). Last thing we need would be rows upon rows of exact same houses, looks boring, DAoC did that and it was pants. Also add houses to the already used land masses, these would go at a premium as they could be few and far between.

Have the ability to open a portal to your front door so you and your pals can get instant access to your home.

Inside addons, bank access, repairs, forge, woodworking and clothier tables. Storage chests and furniture you can actually sit in. Garden outside to grow alch mats etc.
  • LumpySlingblade
    A home, a dog, a woman who can make sandwichs. I'd buy that DLC!
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MehmetCan wrote: »

It is comming!!!

check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PCFl5-DvSY

any player can go on a quest and get an apartment for free
    -can buy bigger house with in game gold
    -adding furniture crafting
    -can sell furniture to other players etc.
    -can own multiple homes
    -homes are account based. So all your characters can use all your house

• Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A home, a dog, a woman who can make sandwichs. I'd buy that DLC!
    I liked Fable's house, wife, baby - kids back on Xbox 360. Had few families around.
    Lol

• SamuraiJohn
    I am excite for player housing
  • MUSTACHMAN654
    MUSTACHMAN654
    ✭✭
    SedoUmbra wrote: »
    I doubt this will happen. Because it is an MMO there are thousands of people that will want a house and they won't be able to make thousands of houses for players (I assume). It would be an awesome idea if you could have a house, but problems of breaking into other peoples houses would be a problem.

I heard that you can only INVITE friends into your house. Even though a large quantity of players will be going into the same house, it will always be THEIR house that they are going in.
  • MUSTACHMAN654
    MUSTACHMAN654
    ✭✭
    I'm a blacksmith and an adventurer in ESO. I would love a Bilbo Baggins style house with mounted heads, good food, an armory, and a large quantity of multi-racial furniture and decor. And of course, a personal forge.
  • cwy
    cwy
    ✭✭
    Will my house be visible only to me? If every house is visible to every player (and there are millions of players), the entire Nirn will be up to our necks with houses. But if other people can't see my house, I have nothing to show off. Also, each player will likely be allowed to buy multiple houses. So I don't know how they are going to handle this sheer amount of added real estate. Maybe they will give us condos, high-rise buildings, or other multi-family dwellings? Those would be the real-world solutions to accommodating a dense population.
  • Kungfumasta
    Kungfumasta
    Soul Shriven
    Houses make things confusing. In GTA 5 they used Apartments which made much more sense as 100 or so people can have the same apartment lobby and it still make logical sense for them all to live there.

Gta 5 did release online houses to buy. I bought a summer beach house in the Paleto Bay area. It was nice until I met someone who had the same house as me. I was in my front yard messing with my options and getting ready to start my day of crime when another player logged on spawned in my house then walked out my front door (his too apparently) then killed me.

Now this wont happen in ESO but I can see myself trying to chill in my front yard/balcony and people just coming out of my front door or running into it via horse.

Now I know there are not any giant apartment complexes in Tamriel but I remember having townhouse/apartment like things in Morrowind back in the day. Your starting little area in Morrowind had you held up with that imperial in that apartment like deal. If I had the option to get an apartment over a house I would for that reason. Just makes more sense to me. Not saying take the option away from people who WANT houses but as a bit of an RPer that is my major issue for a house. UNLESS of course I can have a little cabin in the wilderness.

Some of my favorite houses in Skyrim were ones I built with editors or building mods. Though If i am forced to live in the city I would rather take an apartment for immersion reasons.
    "The trees move...do you not see it?!"
  • Spaceclown
    Spaceclown
    ✭✭
    I agree with most people in here. Housing seems like such a tedious and hard thing because of all the people.
    expert milk drinker