Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Tips on how to optimize the game!

• Cepeza
    Cepeza
    ✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Cepeza wrote: »
    I've got AMD FX-8350 (4GHz with turbo boost up to 4,2GHz), 16 GB (DDR3-1600), 2x GTX 660 (SLI) with 35-45 fps in large pvp, constant 60 fps anywhere else @ 1920x1080 resolution, with Ultra settings.

Were you able to get SLI actually functioning? Fullscreen in ESO isn't true fullscreen, so I heard SLI doesn't always work properly.

You need to add eso.exe as profile in nvidia advanced settings and choose "force alternate frame rendering" for SLI. I get about 30 fps boost with that. Feels like SLI is working with ESO.

[EDIT] It is true and a pitty ESO is not true fullscreen. I just can't get ShadowPlay to work with ESO. :\
    Edited by Cepeza on April 9, 2014 1:24PM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, okay. I'll try force alternate. Thanks.
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    @Rakeworm with Nvidia card you could use also ATI's Pro radeon, from there you can play with SweetFX's settings and keep what you like, I like it, makes graphics more "alive"
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah here is a guide to get Nvidia working with Radeon PRO (NOT made by AMD)
    http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/1zd49b/eso_sweetfx_you/
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, thanks folks. I'll set it up tonight.
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, AA, that I usually keep off unless my laptop can really handle the game, has hardly any impact on performance for me. I mean, something like 5 fps. I did set subsampling to medium,though, as it has like 15-20 fps difference, will probably put it to low in Cyrodill if the need arises, shadows are usually off for me. And I will have a look at these visual enhancing programs tomorrow, they seem nice!
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Csub wrote: »
    shadows are usually off for me.

I'm sorry for your loss. That would make me cry.
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Csub wrote: »
    shadows are usually off for me.

I'm sorry for your loss. That would make me cry.
    Thank you :D I can live without them, although if my laptop can manage,.I have them on. And it runs smooth with shadows.but has some issues in Cyrodill and I am sometimes too lazy to switch it back on when I leave the zone :D
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    GruntDoc wrote: »
    Nvida added ESO to the GeForce Experience game list on launch day.
    (It's a free download by the way; get it here >>>
    http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience)
    :D

For what its worth, I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers on Tuesday and picked up about 7-10 FPS without changing anything.

And I'm playing with a laptop 330M on a MacBook Pro with Boot Camp installed. My FPS now ranges from 25 - 35 FPS on medium settings. Not perfect but I can live with it.

"Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • abrinckm
    abrinckm
    I've often have choppy gameplay when playing the game on High/Ultra settings (especially in towns). I have a medium end computer with a 550Ti and I recently found a solution to this problem that I'd like to post for other players with the same issue.

There are hidden settings that improve quality or performance that are not visible within the game settings. I discovered this when I was experimenting with the presets. If you have a low to medium end machine like me and you want to play the game with all visible settings on high or ultra without choppiness, then do these steps:

1) Set the preset setting to "Minimum" or "Low".
    2) Set all settings including the textures to "High".
    3) Turn on all settings on the bottom.

By setting the preset to "Minimum" you are turning off some graphic processing effects not seen in the menu. The difference can be seen best when looking out over the water. However, you will now be able to play the game using "High" textures with ambient occlusion turned on.

Keep in mind that your preset will now be displayed as "Custom". So it isn't exactly "High" or "Ultra" but at the very least you can play it with the higher textures.
  • dabossarwb17_ESO
    Im going to bump this, as many people may still be looking for ideas...
    I have an old (2008) Nvidia GeForce 315, and Live in far away NZ with our slow net speed, so low FPS is a gimme.

Ive played around with both Nvidia 3d settings and the user settings (found in the Documents ESO folder) and im happy with my 30FPS in towns, and 40FPS in the wild and 60FPS in dungeons (which i have set as my max).

I done this by testing the presets from in the game (Ultra, High, etc..) and making a hybrid (toward the med low side)

Posted below are the user settings which i Use (with presets)

SET SUB_SAMPLING "1" // Ultra, High and Med set as 2 high, Low 1 and Min 0.

SET REFLECTION_QUALITY_v3 "0" // Ultra 2, everything else 0 off?

SET PARTICLE_DENSITY "1" // Ultra 3, High 2, Med 1, Low and Min 0.

SET HIGH_RESOLUTION_SHADOWS "0" // Ultra and High1 on, 0 off
    SET SHADOWS "0" // Ultra 4, High 3, Med 2, Low 1, Min 0.

SET VIEW_DISTANCE "1.36000001" // in game Ultra is 62 - i set at 60.

SET GPUSmoothingFrames "0" // this is 10 for all settings?

Below is the texture settings.
    SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "1" // 0 for ultra, High. 1 for Med and low, 0 min.

SET RAIN_WETNESS "0" // Ultra, High and Med 1 on, 0 off.
    SET LENS_FLARE "0" // All 1 on, Min 0 off
    SET GOD_RAYS_v2 "0" // Ultra and High 1 on, 0 off

SET ANTI_ALIASING_v2 "1" // Ultra and High 1 on (also Min?), 0 off. i use Nvidia to limit this to 2.

SET AMBIENT_OCCLUSION "0" // Ultra 1 on, 0 off

SET BLOOM "0" // Ultra, High and Med1 on, 0 off
    SET DEPTH_OF_FIELD "0" // Ultra and High1 on, 0 off

SET SOFT_ALPHA "0" // Ultra, High and Med 1 on, 0 off.

SET DISTORTION "0" // Ultra and High1 on, 0 off
    SET CHARACTER_LIGHTING "0" // Ultra, High and Med1 on, 0 off

below i think is the Sub sampling settings;
    SET DIFFUSE_2_MAPS "1" // 1 on until Low. 0 off
    SET DETAIL_MAPS "1" // 1 on until Low. 0 off
    SET NORMAL_MAPS "1" // 1 on until Min. 0 off
    SET SPECULAR_MAPS "1" // 1 on until Low. 0 off

SET CLUTTER_2D "0" // grass - 1 on, low and min 0 off.
    SET SIMPLE_SHADERS "1" // 1 on for low and Min, 0 off
    SET WATER_FOAM "0" // 1 on, Low and Min 0 off
    SET VSYNC "0" // 1 on, All preset 0 off

SET MAX_ANISOTROPY "2" // Ultra 3, High 2, Med 1, Low and Min 0. I use Nvidia to set this.

SET MinFrameTime.2 "0.01666666" // Max FPS (60) preset 100 FPS.
    SET ParticlesEnabled "1" // 1 on, 0 off (haven't checked this for presets)

SET RequestedNumThreads "0" // Changed from -1
  • Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    As usual, always make a backup of your "UserSettings.txt" before playing around with it!

Thanks for your settings.
    Finally made me notice the damn Lensflare and Depth_of_field settings.
    I hate these stupid fake camera effects, begone! B)
    “I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • Medivh50
    Medivh50
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Mystrider wrote: »
    I used SweetFX in Age of Conan with awesome results, I will try it also here, anyone have tried it? Is it lowering your fps in ESO?

I use SweetFX. Spent awhile playing with settings. In the end I went with just LumaSharpen and Curves alterations, but did have some fun with Vignette. Another fun one is to lower the Vibrancy a smidge to slightly desaturate the world. It gives it a more gritty, grim appearance, but I opted out on that in the long run.

bAwUtRx.jpg
    LumaSharpen, Curves, Vignette ^

This looks amazing! I know that it is dated, but does this preset still exist? I would love to try it out.
    Stam Sorc ~ Ride Simpletree
    Pet Sorc ~ Scrupulous Simpletree
    Mag Warden ~ Sinister Simpletree
    Necro ~ Mystic Simpletree

"I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee."
    —Every single guard, everywhere.