Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Tips on how to optimize the game!

Rasly
Rasly
✭✭
Anyone got any tips on how to ptimize ESO?

Main problem are the places with lots of people in them. Usualy it helps to set view distance much lower to make the game run nicely, but maybe there are is some other to speed the game without lowering the view range?

Specialy in PvP it may be critical, when a big fight start, you want to see the whole fight so you set view to 100 and next thing you see is your FPS falling down to 15-25, trying to use ingame settings to help this, will not bring much, maybe about 10 FPS.

So has anyone experimented with ini files? got good results? please share.

Edit: I wanted Tips in general for everybody to use. However if anyone wants to know my hardware, its i5 2600, 8 gb memory, nvidia 760.
Edited by Rasly on April 5, 2014 4:00PM
  • Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    It would help immensely if you posted all of your computer specs....
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will vary by hardware. If you go into your Nvidia control panel, it will have suggested settings for various games. ESO is new enough that it won't be in that list, but go and find a game with similar recommended system requirements and roughly match the recommended settings.

Typically, view distance, shadows, and particles are the first things to turn down to attempt to avoid framerate problems. In that order. If you are still having issues, then you'll probably have to start dropping the quality of everything.

Edit: Also, there are other options in your Nvidia control panel that may help such as what it uses for 3D imaging, etc.
    Edited by Vikova on April 5, 2014 2:46PM
  • GruntDoc
    GruntDoc
    Nvida added ESO to the GeForce Experience game list on launch day.
    (It's a free download by the way; get it here >>>
    http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience)
    :D
    Edited by GruntDoc on April 5, 2014 2:55PM
  • Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend staying away from the Geforce experience, its very buggy..and you don't need it, its just more bloatware on your computer you don't need
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the game startlingly well optimized already, personally. I even added a SweetFX profile for LumaSharpen and such, with by the way makes the game look much more beautiful.

If you post your CPU model + clock and GPU model + clock you can get some meaningful feedback.

PS: GeForce Experience was orginally bloatware. Now it's useful for casual players who don't know computers well. I don't use it because I am a tech geek, but in it's current form it's useful to casual users, despite it's bad reputation thanks to it's launch state.

sarenia_signature_20140331_2_zpsf0981332.png
    Edited by Sarenia on April 5, 2014 3:16PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Miths
    Miths
    Subsampling setting to medium or low. Massive framerate boost at the cost of a very or extremely blurry picture (it scales down the internal rendering resolution, leaving UI elements crisp and clear at the native resolution).
  • Rasly
    Rasly
    ✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Also, there are other options in your Nvidia control panel that may help such as what it uses for 3D imaging, etc.
    I was changing them already, like i set triple buffering, adaptive sync, prerendered frames to 5, texture quality on performance. It surely makes the game run more smooth, but it dosn't realy help with the frame rate problem.

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rasly wrote: »
    Also, there are other options in your Nvidia control panel that may help such as what it uses for 3D imaging, etc.
    I was changing them already, like i set triple buffering, adaptive sync, prerendered frames to 5, texture quality on performance. It surely makes the game run more smooth, but it dosn't realy help with the frame rate problem.
    If that and updating your drivers don't help, then you will need to start dropping view distance and the other options I mentioned. I realize you started your post saying you didn't want to do that, but it is pretty much all you have left.
  • Rasly
    Rasly
    ✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    I found the game startlingly well optimized already, personally.
    Yes and No. There are some places that seems to have problems, like in "Windridge Cave", on one place you have 60 fps, then on other place that looks exacly the same you get 15 fps, no way is this normal.

• abrinckm
    abrinckm
    GruntDoc wrote: »
    Nvida added ESO to the GeForce Experience game list on launch day.
    (It's a free download by the way; get it here >>>
    http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience)
    :D

I just updated my GeForce Experience and tried to optimize ESO... It says 'Sorry, this game can't be optimized' LOL ... okay. My computer is being a jerk.
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    I used SweetFX in Age of Conan with awesome results, I will try it also here, anyone have tried it? Is it lowering your fps in ESO?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mystrider wrote: »
    I used SweetFX in Age of Conan with awesome results, I will try it also here, anyone have tried it? Is it lowering your fps in ESO?

I use SweetFX. Spent awhile playing with settings. In the end I went with just LumaSharpen and Curves alterations, but did have some fun with Vignette. Another fun one is to lower the Vibrancy a smidge to slightly desaturate the world. It gives it a more gritty, grim appearance, but I opted out on that in the long run.

bAwUtRx.jpg
    LumaSharpen, Curves, Vignette ^

My FPS stays at 40 or above with SweetFX going... i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz and GTX 570.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 7, 2014 8:02AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I can't detect any loss of FPS and it looks gorgeous
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    Thanks guys, I will try it def ;)
  • Sestar
    Sestar
    ✭✭
    Miths wrote: »
    Subsampling setting to medium or low. Massive framerate boost at the cost of a very or extremely blurry picture (it scales down the internal rendering resolution, leaving UI elements crisp and clear at the native resolution).

Hi,

Subsampling has a big impact on FPS, and most important, you do not have to restart when switching it from high->med->low.
    When questing or strolling thru towns I run on high, when going to anchors or even more crowded places I switch to med.

I keep view diestance at 100%, too. ^^

Regards,
    Sestar
  • LilBudyWizerub17_ESO
    Trail and error is the best way to learn. Start with the presets. Use a spreadsheet if you need to. See what they change. That will help guide you on what's the big hitters. Get fraps, it'll do benchmarking for you. Get somewhere without a lot of variability. Set everything to lowest except one to highest. See what impact it has on your fps as you change which one. Set them all to highest then one at a time to lowest to see what that does. Anit-aliasing is usually the worst. Doing this also makes if more obvious what those options actually do. It's also worth a bit of time research each, at least know what it means. It helps with knowing what to look for in terms of what changed in the scene. Finally you make some trade offs. What matters to you, what doesn't? How much does it cost and much are you willing to pay.

I would suggest you place your faith in your eyes rather than the instrumentation. Just picking some arbitrary FPS for bragging rights is pointless. People vary in reflex time. They vary in how long a word has to remain on screen before they can reliably identify it. They vary in how fast they can click on cue. It isn't skill and experience, it's genetics. Getting all caught up in something you are incapable of perceiving and are only aware of due to instrumentation is a fool's errand. I could get great audio equipment with great specs, but my hearing is shot. I've lost most of the low and high range. What's the point when I can't hear the difference? The same here. I can't see a difference so why would I care? Somewhere around 30 fps is good enough for me, but 15 fps rather sucks.
    My Guild - Anvil
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    Sarenia wrote: »

I use SweetFX. Spent awhile playing with settings. In the end I went with just LumaSharpen and Curves alterations, but did have some fun with Vignette. Another fun one is to lower the Vibrancy a smidge to slightly desaturate the world. It gives it a more gritty, grim appearance, but I opted out on that in the long run.

bAwUtRx.jpg
    LumaSharpen, Curves, Vignette ^

My FPS stays at 40 or above with SweetFX going... i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz and GTX 570.

Game does not start ( crushes ) with SweetFX enabled, any tips?
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you using, nvidia or ATI? With ATI I had to install Radeon Pro to get it working. Nvidia, I wouldn't know but probably others would
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this link can help
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1296721/how-to-anti-aliasing-injection-fxaa-smaa-and-sweetfx

apparently radeon pro works for nvidia too, I'd use that to run sweetfx, makes it easier
    http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/1zd49b/eso_sweetfx_you/
    Edited by mutharex on April 8, 2014 11:55AM
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    Thanks for the tip!
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip!

It says that you have to run the game from the eso.exe for it to work, but if I leave Radeon Pro open it will detect ESO and work properly even if I use the launcher to start it
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    What do you think are the most MUST filters from SweetFX to play ESO?
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this preset:
    http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1411/

but I am going to try this that came out last week:
    http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1486/

though I'l likely go back to the one I am using, as it satisfies me
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Edit, just saw that your CPU is not an unlocked version.
    Edited by SexyVette07 on April 9, 2014 12:27PM
  • Mystrider
    Mystrider
    Great, thanks!
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mystrider, if you get SweetFX working let us know what you think. I've been debating getting it set up.
    Edited by Vikova on April 9, 2014 12:43PM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mystrider, if you get SweetFX working let us know what you think. I've been debating getting it set up.

My 2 cents: it's easy to setup, it doesn't affect my performance (you can switch it on and off from inside the game but I still go from 40 to 60 FPS) and once I activated it, I cannot go back to watch TESO without it
  • Cepeza
    Cepeza
    ✭✭✭
    Rasly wrote: »
    Edit: ... its i5 2600 ...

That is what you need to improve in order to get ESO to run better, as it is very CPU hungy particularly if there are many other playerson screen. Besides there is no such thing as i5 2600. There is a i5 2500 and i7 2600. So what is your CPU?

I've got AMD FX-8350 (4GHz with turbo boost up to 4,2GHz), 16 GB (DDR3-1600), 2x GTX 660 (SLI) with 35-45 fps in large pvp, constant 60 fps anywhere else @ 1920x1080 resolution, with Ultra settings.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cepeza wrote: »
    I've got AMD FX-8350 (4GHz with turbo boost up to 4,2GHz), 16 GB (DDR3-1600), 2x GTX 660 (SLI) with 35-45 fps in large pvp, constant 60 fps anywhere else @ 1920x1080 resolution, with Ultra settings.

Were you able to get SLI actually functioning? Fullscreen in ESO isn't true fullscreen, so I heard SLI doesn't always work properly.
    Edited by Vikova on April 9, 2014 1:06PM