Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Difference between upgrading with a Legendary Glyph and Normal Glyph

Elder_Martin
Elder_Martin
✭✭✭
If I make a normal quality item and a normal quality glyph, then I enchant said item with said glyph, then upgrade that item to Legendary, does the glyph upgrade similar to if I upgraded the same item to legendary, created a legendary glyph, then enchanted the legendary item with the legendary glyph? (sorry for the run-on)
I am the real Mudcrab Merchant.
Gamertag - Elder Martin
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The glyph does not upgrade when the gear gets upgraded. You need to put a new glyph on it.
  • Elder_Martin
    Elder_Martin
    ✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    The glyph does not upgrade when the gear gets upgraded. You need to put a new glyph on it.

So it only upgrades on items you've picked up, not that you've crafted? Because I've upgraded set items and the glyph upgrades with it.
    I am the real Mudcrab Merchant.
    Gamertag - Elder Martin
  • Pepper8Jack
    Pepper8Jack
    ✭✭✭
    An upgraded piece of gear will have stronger enchants by default, but the glyph itself is not being upgraded in the process.

Example:

-2 normal glyphs
    -2 legendary glyphs
    -1 normal gear piece
    -1 gear pice identical to the first but legendary

Enchant both with the normal glyphs: you'll see that the legendary piece has higher values on the enchantment than the normal piece.

Now enchant both with the legendary glyphs: the value on the normal piece goes up, and so does the value on the legendary piece.

So while an upgraded gear piece will get you more bang from the normal enchant, using an upgraded enchant as well will give you even higher stats
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Original glyphs in dropped items auto-upgrade when improving the item. Otherwise not.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some dropped items come with a "default" enchantment (for lack of better words) that is built into the item. Upgrading the item also upgrades the enchantment in that case. But for other dropped items, or items you manually enchant, the enchantment is a separate effect that doesn't get upgraded.

Best bet is to upgrade the item and see if the enchantment gets upgraded as well. If not then you can manually re-enchant with a better quality one if desired.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So it only upgrades on items you've picked up, not that you've crafted? Because I've upgraded set items and the glyph upgrades with it.

Correct. Unless something changed recently, glyphs on crafted gear upgrade with the gear as long as it is the original gear. It's been this way for at least a couple years.

However, crafted enchants is always the level of the crafted enchant.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If the item you crafted is infused trait, then it's because the trait gets a higher stat when you upgrade the gear, and the trait affects the enchantment.
    - if you put a gold glyph on the gear while it was white, it would get better stats when you upgraded the gear, because of the trait effect.

Infused trait increases enchantments on armor by:
    white 8%
    green 11%
    blue 14%
    purple 17%
    gold 20%

Same stats apply to infused traits on weapons, plus a bonus that reduces enchantment-cooldown by 40%.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on November 10, 2016 11:44PM