The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What gear should I use while leveling?

jonzhao68
jonzhao68
✭✭
Me again, new player. So far I am loving the crafting system here but I am finding I am constantly short on materials, especially those needed for improvements. I prefer to craft my own gear though because I like having gear that matches appearance-wise and I can craft exactly the type of gear I want for certain slots. The problem though is like I said I am constantly short on materials and often I find better gear anyways while questing. The problem with that gear though is often I don't like the appearance or it's not the weapon I prefer to use or it is a heavy helm or something when I prefer a light helm.

So just curious, is it worthwhile to constantly craft yourself new sets of gear to use or will the gear you find always be better and easier to come around.
Edited by jonzhao68 on October 31, 2016 5:51PM

Best Answer

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deconstruct all trash (non-set) gear that drops from enemies. That's a constant stream of appropriate level materials. Collect those materials and ask a guild mate, or simply ask in zone chat for a crafter. Best levels to craft are those which end in a 4 because that's the maximum level for the respective tier, and you'll probably have more than enough materials from deconstruction to have even multiple sets crafted. What actual set is best for your really depend on your build, since magicka and stamina builds benefit from different stat bonuses on the respective gear sets. For magicka builds, spell damage, spell critical, maximum magicka and magicka regeneration bonuses are valuable. For stamina builds, weapon damage, weapon critical, maximum stamina and stamina regeneration are valuable. Wearing gear with training trait will give you more XP from killing enemies so you will level faster. I've leveled multiple characters so I can tell you what I've been using.

On stamina builds: 5 x Hunding's Rage + 4/3 x Night Mother's Gaze is a good combo. I mix armor types right from the beginning to level all 3 armor types. I make the chest heavy, the waist light and the rest medium. I also make two one handed weapons and a bow to train 2W and bow while leveling. All gear with training trait, tempered to blue and with maximum stamina enchantments on armor, elemental damage on weapons - less important.

On magicka builds: 5 x Armor of the Seducer + 3 x Torug's Pact is a good combo. I mix armor types right from the beginning to level all 3 armor types. I make the chest heavy, the legs or feet medium and the rest light. I also make a resto and destro staff to level the respective skill lines. All gear with training trait, tempered to blue and with maximum magicka enchantments on armor, elemental damage on weapons - less important.

I craft those sets at levels 14/24/34/44. From level 44 to 50 it's a short trip and for overland content you can keep that level 44 gear until you hit CP160. Or maybe craft one intermediate tier. Then craft CP150 gear since it takes far less materials, with the desirable traits. Best is to have divines on armor and sharpened on weapons. Then you can go on farming CP160 gear.

Here's a list of crafted sets: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafted+Sets
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Answer ✓
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafted sets are definitely worthwhile. (Make sure they are armor sets, with bonuses depending on how many pieces you wear!) It is tough to stay fully geared while leveling your first character, though.

How often are you replacing your gear? You don't need to craft a new set ridiculously often, especially depending on how high you are upgrading it.

I would also suggest adding skill points to the passives that increase your chances of getting good materials from refining and deconstructing, and also the one that reduces the quantity of improvement materials needed to improve them. This should help a lot.
    Edited by SolarCat02 on October 31, 2016 6:05PM
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly the gear you get from quest turn ins are normally good enough to get you through. Throw in some dungeon runs and you should be fine.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If PC / NA - hit me up and I will get you situated with gear to level in.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Deconstruct all trash (non-set) gear that drops from enemies. That's a constant stream of appropriate level materials.

This ^^^

It also levels your crafting. Be sure to use the green/blue ones as they will level you faster, and for that matter if you are willing to spend (or risk) tempers to increase/improve something with "intricate" it will give an even bigger boost.

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Trublz
    Trublz
    ✭✭✭
    I've leveled all my Alts to 50 and I always made myself(all training) gear at lvl 6(so I could enchant with lvl 5) and again at lvl 16( because you unlock 2nd weapon slot at 15) and use that gear until lvl 50.
    Usually use julianos or hundings with a few other mixes in there depending on characters role/resources/etc
    CP531 Air-eez Redguard DK DPS
    CP531 Hayd-eez Imperial DK Tank
    CP531 SomethinFishy Khajit NB DPS
    CP531 Heracl-eez Orc Sorc DPS
    CP531 Anark-eez Dark Elf DK DPS
    CP531 Herm-eez Breton Temp DPS
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can, have the training trait on all of your gear. Like others have said, new gear about every 10 levels should be fine. I use green until level 20, blue until level 40 and then go purple. Use the same color enchantments. Green food is fine, but going to blue food is going to be better. I don't personally use purple food.

And speaking of crafting your own gear, make sure you always have as many traits researching as you can at once. It takes forever to get all of the traits researched.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Zerok
    Zerok
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina gear:
    -5x Hunding's Rage
    -4x Morkuldin OR 3x Ashen Grip (if using 2H).

Magicka gear:
    -5x Julianos
    -3x Seducer OR 4x Magnus (if using DW)
    Zeerok (the sneaky ruffian) - LV50 Bosmer stamblade DPS (AD)
    Gontrand de Bourbon (the greedy aristocrat) - LV50 Breton magsorc tank (DC)
    Augustus Aquilarios (the imperial claimant) - LV50 Imperial stamDK PvP (EP)
    Zeerokk (the AD zealot) - LV50 Altmer magblade PvP (AD)
    Lianna Storm (the inferno maiden) - LV50 Dunmer magDK DPS (EP)
    Fights-With-Khajiit (the gullible faithful) - LV5 Argonian templar (EP)
    Miner'va (the skooma addict) - LV3 Khajiit sorcerer (AD) - chaotic neutral
    Siggy Thorvaldsson (the charismatic baroness) - LV50 Nord stamwarden tank (DC)
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crafted with training traits. until you hit cp 160 and all gear that drops is end level
  • SmellyButtocks
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Asardes wrote: »
    Deconstruct all trash (non-set) gear that drops from enemies. That's a constant stream of appropriate level materials.

This ^^^

It also levels your crafting. Be sure to use the green/blue ones as they will level you faster, and for that matter if you are willing to spend (or risk) tempers to increase/improve something with "intricate" it will give an even bigger boost.

Never knew that, thank you!

Would you say the inspiration gain is worth the upgrade mats?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmellyButtocks

Depends. You will reach a point where you have 100's of Green and or Blue Tempers, and you will never use them up. So, upgrading an item before deconning to give you more Inspiration can get you to 50 a bit faster. Is it worth it? I think you get like 10% more Inspiration, so it's not like a huge gain. I am of the school of "Decon it all, let the Crafting Bag sort it out" so I don't seek to maximize my return on decon, just get it done and move on. I also forget most times I am at a crafting station.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jonzhao68

No matter what armors you use, try to use a mix of weights so they all level to 50 at roughly the same time. This way you can switch out armors without having to grind the skills up, which can take a while. No need to invest in the Armor passives of the one or ones you won't use all the time, and certainly only spend skill points on the 5 Piece Bonuses of the amors you would normally wear 5 pieces of, like 5 Light for Casters or 5 Medium for Stamina as an example.

• Duukar
    Duukar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Level 10 - Regular(no set bonus) all training set. 5 of the armor you intend to use and 1 of each of the 2 others. Just make sure its all Training an preferably upgraded to blue.

wear this until level 24.

Level 24 - Consider a set bonus that makes sense for your class that has easy low traits to craft. All training. 1 set bonus is fine. You aren't min maxing yet. Again 5 of what you will wear and 1 of each of the other.

Level 40 - Do a set bonus that makes sense. Low traits and easy to craft. Just one set. Try to upgrade to purple. All training. At this point have a look at your armor levels. If you are really short of 50 in one make more of that than the others. Balance this out. You want all armors to get 50 around the same time if able.

All this time make sure you have gotten your fighters guild skill line. Kill as much undead as you can find. If you see an undead spawn that has lots stay there and kill a while. You will want this skill line maxed at some point and its a HUGE hassle if you neglect it.

Make sure you have your mages guild skill line from the start. Get an addon to show lore book locations. You will NEED this skill line maxed at some point and it makes sense to get it along the way.

Get an addon to show sky shard location. Collect em as you go.

Finally Training only affects Kill XP... To maximize this i recommend a sub to the game and buying a few XP scrolls. Those 2 bonuses affect ALL XP.

One of the best things you can do is clear all delves with a sky shard in them. There is great XP and loot from mobs in there and a big bonus XP hit when you kill the final boss.

Then at 50 dont forget to start the Undaunted grind and choose your min max armor sets and GET TO FARMING... JEEEZ!!!
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

@SmellyButtocks

Depends. You will reach a point where you have 100's of Green and or Blue Tempers, and you will never use them up. So, upgrading an item before deconning to give you more Inspiration can get you to 50 a bit faster. Is it worth it? I think you get like 10% more Inspiration, so it's not like a huge gain. I am of the school of "Decon it all, let the Crafting Bag sort it out" so I don't seek to maximize my return on decon, just get it done and move on. I also forget most times I am at a crafting station.

It's 5% more inspiration per upgrade, but you also get more inspiration for deconning a higher quality item, so it's more than the tooltip implies.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• SaibotLiu
    SaibotLiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a very casual mmo with very forgiving mechanics. I just kill stuff and do quests and pick up armor as I go. You dont really need optimal gear for anything except high end pve or pvp.
  • jonzhao68
    jonzhao68
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, that actually answers all my questions concerning crafting gear (even the ones I forgot to ask). ^.^
    Edited by jonzhao68 on October 31, 2016 7:33PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Danksta @SmellyButtocks

Just did some testing with CP160 Intricates, one White, one Green and One Blue. I have ESO Plus and the Champ Passive for Inspiration, but numbers can be compared and these came from Combat Log Statistics

Intricate White 23264
    Intricate Green 24096
    Intricate Blue 24096

Weird that Blue did not give more than Green.

As for being worth upgrading before deconning, not so much in my mind. While better, it really is not enough to worry about. I mean sure, if you think about it, and have Greens to use up, go ahead. But to fret over lost Inspiration, nah.
    Edited by Nestor on November 1, 2016 2:35PM

• waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don't need to keep upgrading your gear every time you level up, just throw on some training traits for armor and upgrade once every tier (iron, steel, etc.). Put sharpened on your weapons, upgrade those every 2 levels and keep them green and you'll be fine.
  • Schemering
    Schemering
    ✭✭✭
    make a good set every 20-25 levels but upgrade your weapons every 8-10 levels. The set bonuses are most important for armor not the level but the tooltip damage of weapons has huge impact on your damage output as it is directly added to weapon and spell damage . I use divines trait on low level gear and make it purple as i want to level fastest which i do with best gear so i kill faster but training isnt a bad idea either
    Edited by Schemering on November 1, 2016 12:39PM
    PC/EU AD 1500+ PC/NA 300+

Schemering - Breton magicka Nightblade
    Ambergloed - Argonian Templar Healer
    Fonkeling - Argonian Dragonknight Tank
    Twinkeling - Dunmer magicka Nightblade
    Sprankeling- Altmer magicka Nightblade
    Schittering - Redguard stamina Nightblade
    Glinstering - Khajiit stamina Sorcerer
    Spiegeling - Altmer magicka Necromancer
    Flonkering - Orc stamina Necromancer
    Glimmering - Argonian Necromancer
    Duisternis - Dunmer magicka Dragonknight
    Maanlicht - Altmer magicka Templar
    Weerlicht - Altmer magicka Sorcerer
    Zonnestraal - Redguard stamina Warden EP char
    Slagschaduw - Dunmer magicka Warden - Healer or Damage Dealer
    Ochtendgloren - Imperial stamina Templar
    Avondval - Redguard stamina Dragonknight
    Aurora Noorderlicht - Breton magicka Nightblade DC char
    Dageraad - Breton magicka Sorcerer

Wisseling - Breton magicka Nightblade NA
    Zonsverduistering - Breton Templar NA Healer
    Tinteling - Argonian Dragonknight NA Tank
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jonzhao68 wrote: »
    Me again, new player. So far I am loving the crafting system here but I am finding I am constantly short on materials, especially those needed for improvements. I prefer to craft my own gear though because I like having gear that matches appearance-wise and I can craft exactly the type of gear I want for certain slots. The problem though is like I said I am constantly short on materials and often I find better gear anyways while questing. The problem with that gear though is often I don't like the appearance or it's not the weapon I prefer to use or it is a heavy helm or something when I prefer a light helm.

So just curious, is it worthwhile to constantly craft yourself new sets of gear to use or will the gear you find always be better and easier to come around.

If you are below lvl 50, no need to craft anything, save materials, use dropped stuff. Pretty much anything below CP160 is trash item, worthless piece of crap. That does not mean you can't hunt for set items that might help you a lot while leveling. Pick what you would like to have as a main set, go to that area and join dolmen zergs for jewelry and group boss zergs for weapons and several armor pieces. You can't fail. Also, if you like vampirism or lycantropy, try to get infected by these asap, so you can level faster. Use AOE skills to damage all enemies on dolmens, since it will help you progress Fighter's Guild skill line much faster. Also, be patient, this is a mmorpg after all.

If you are in a good guild, ask someone to craft you some training gear. And gl.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take a different approach. I decon everything, research what I am wearing for armour ( on my mage, 5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy ). I make new armour every 2 levels ( to get the XP for crafting ). Then I Enchant all my new made armour ( again for the XP ). I will not improve any armour until I get to max rank.
    I do the same for what weapons I use.

I find this works best for me. Every forum post that I read says you don't need to create armour so often, But I do.

One last thought, play the game how you feel like. And most of all HAVE FUN.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    hagermanj wrote: »
    HAVE FUN.
    or else.