The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Gear Scaling Question

Tomg999
Tomg999
✭✭✭✭
OK, I get with 1T you need to get purple gear, purple enchantments, in good sets, etc. and get to 4 stars.
My question is this: If I have say, a level 27 char and they are wearing L27 gear, cool. But when they level a few levels to lvl 32, have they grown weaker because they are now wearing L27 gear?
Is the differential between level & the level of gear a factor? or is it just that the higher level gear helps (or does it?)
If not, in my mind 1T is like Morrowind & Oblivion, where it actually hurt you to level sometimes.
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the leveling can hurt you if you ignore your gear.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • MushmouthThomas
    I leveled up my first alt the other day and wore level 8 gear all the way to 50 (2 days at zombies!). The damage and armor were close to nil as I got close to 50. % bonuses work just fine though, Seducer and training stayed strong!
  • Triddle
    Triddle
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, leveling up in 1T generally makes your character weaker unless you're very actively keeping up with gear. The big jump comes at 49 if you have some champion levels on your account. You can be decked in sweet sweet level 49 gear, hit 50, suddenly you're champion level >160 wearing level 49 gear and about as weak as a character can be. Best to just bail on whatever you're doing and go get some gear together at that point.

Small price to pay for the benefits of 1T if you ask me, but it's a little annoying watching all of your stats decrease as you level 'up'. Up now being purely nominal. It's not obvious how to solve this problem, and like I say, it's a small price for the benefits of 1T, but still pretty counter-intuitive. The old scheme in which leveling up increased your character's power was a little more intuitive.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomg999 wrote: »
    OK, I get with 1T you need to get purple gear, purple enchantments, in good sets, etc. and get to 4 stars.
    My question is this: If I have say, a level 27 char and they are wearing L27 gear, cool. But when they level a few levels to lvl 32, have they grown weaker because they are now wearing L27 gear?
    Is the differential between level & the level of gear a factor? or is it just that the higher level gear helps (or does it?)
    If not, in my mind 1T is like Morrowind & Oblivion, where it actually hurt you to level sometimes.

@Tomg999

I would not concern oneself with the stars while leveling up. The stars are really just a general vanilla indicator.

Others have pointed out that level and level of gear are a factor, but it is really only a issue if
    1. you are struggling to kill NPCs,
    2. in AvA or
    3. Getting into a group for a dungeon.

However, it has always been this way with scaling and without it.