Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

looking for advice Bosmer bow/healer

• Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »
    This thread has got to be a troll thread.

why? because a new player to eso is asking questions?

and asking for details from one sentence remarks that don't say anything?

care to explain how I'm trolling?

All i'm doing is asking questions, and just recently explained my personal experience in a previous mmo.

just trying to learn how ESO works.. not trolling

but care to tell me how i'm trolling?

I'm sorry if I come off as rude, But from the very nature of this topic, you haven't even read skill or passive tooltips at all. Because if you had you would have noticed the following:

- All heal skills in the game except vigor are magicka based
    - Bows are completely stamina based
    - Light armor passives give bonusses on the magick sides
    - Medium armor passives give bonusses on the stamina sides
    - All healing skills cost and scale with max magicka (making hybrids, in any form, useless)
    - Bosmer have no magicka based passives at all

This is not in-depth information, this is literally what you can read when you open up your skill window, or any website that contains information about skills in this game.
    Edited by Woeler on October 24, 2016 11:32AM
  • PaddoPaulus
    The Nightblade has passive skills that work well with stealth attacks and so does a Wood Elf

Why did you choose Wood Elf, Faster bow experience?

U should figure out how you want to play first and then decide on a char that fits that description.

And stop thinking about TES and start thinking ESO, they are 2 very different games.

Btw if your going Max stamina then your class won't matter so much.

• hayaschwarz
    hayaschwarz
    ✭✭✭

Your question might be thought as trolling because it doesn't make any sense!

If you said you played other Elder Scrolls, then you must know that abililties fit to the weapons!

A bow is as advertised, is to shoot things, thus making it not for healing ;)

Also all healing abilities in the game except of one are magicka and not Stamina based (not to be confused with the self-return healing from some abilities or self-healing). With that being said, all healers in the game must be magicka based. And Bow is a weapon ability that is scaled of your max stamina (Such information is available in the description of each ability and tree line)

Further more to it, a class like templar is mostly excelled for healing has all healing abilities based on magicka, with that max magicka and Spell damage determine the efficiency of the casted heals.

Finally the race isn't the deciding factor for your gaming career in ESO, but if you are aiming for high endgame Content it becomes essential (due to the class passives and what they offer in combat).

As a suggestion, create a character, start doing quests and such, learn the game a bit, and then decide how you want to progress with it. Leveling a character from 1-50 doesn’t take any time…

have you never played an elder scrolls game? you can do anything you want in the,.. you are not tied to a class in any game from morrowind onward (unsure of areana and dagger fall) but i capped everything in morrowind, oblivion was hard because of stricter level cap, and skyrim had no classes.

been a bow healer in morrowind, oblivion and skyrim.

how ESO plays is different, also i did do that suggestion and have 1 more delete away from "supposedly" loosing my crown items.
    also been a bow healer in dcuo/ scythe healer.

if i can't do healer with a bow,

what is a good class a bow user can do outside night blade, i tried that out and wasn't a fan... past night blades in elder scrolls were more casters with a sword, not assassins.[/quote]

If you are exclusively interested in bow, then that suits only DPS classes for PvE, and is very useful for PvP. For PvE since almost 2 years bow builds haven’t been viable due to the low damage of the snipe and its morphs. Furthermore bow doesn’t synergize well with class abilities as they are mostly melee abilities, while bow increases damage with range. But that doesn’t mean you can’t play the bow as main weapon (usually used as secondary on offbar) and enjoy your game. All classes can use the bow equally with the same efficiency, and the race of Bosmer would be good.
    If you want to try a support role and become a healer, then you are best of with a Templar with a restoration staff and destruction staff on Offbar. But for the mon/max of the race you need Altmer or Breton for healer, also Argonian can be good.
    If you want to play the role of tank, which serves more for crowd control, and tanking bosses off your team, then one handed and shield on both bars is recommended, or at least on one bar, for that your best choice would be Dragonknight and for the race redguard or imperial would make things easier for you.
    For both tanks and healers you will find plenty of builds online, you can rely on these till the point where you can start putting things together yourself….
    haya-sw - Stamina Dragonknight / Tank
    Shrouded Lachance - Stamina Nightblade / Tank
    Healer le Bobo - Magicka Templar
    Haya-Jr - Magicka Dragonknight
    C-Frags Haya - Magicka Sorcerer
    Hi Ya - Magicka Nightblade
    Haya-Jr II - Stamina Dragonknight / Tank

Co-Founder and Officer of Well Fitted, PvE leading EU DC Guild
  • Spark
    Spark
    ✭✭✭
    Really what I would do in your situation is to make a stamina dps character that uses a bow, and try how I like it. Leveling in this game is fast enough that if you enjoy it, it is perfectly viable to create another character who is mainly a healer. One especially nice thing about multiple characters is that any ranks you gain after level 50 (champion ranks) are shared between your characters. So any xp you gain after level 50 benefits all characters.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Nightblade has passive skills that work well with stealth attacks and so does a Wood Elf

U should figure out how you want to play first and then decide on a char that fits that description.

And stop thinking about TES and start thinking ESO, they are 2 very different games.

i did try the game, and my characters outside a bald imperial in tes morrowind have been wood elf.

and i tried night blade didn't like it.. its based on TES assassin class not really night blade, TES in night blade was a mage with a sword

how are TES and eso different?
    Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
    Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
    Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • hayaschwarz
    hayaschwarz
    ✭✭✭

i did try the game, and my characters outside a bald imperial in tes morrowind have been wood elf.

and i tried night blade didn't like it.. its based on TES assassin class not really night blade, TES in night blade was a mage with a sword

They based the Story and some of the Basics like freeplay on usual TES, but everything else is a whole new game. Also it is here an MMO with PvP and PvE, and that's what makes the difference!
    haya-sw - Stamina Dragonknight / Tank
    Shrouded Lachance - Stamina Nightblade / Tank
    Healer le Bobo - Magicka Templar
    Haya-Jr - Magicka Dragonknight
    C-Frags Haya - Magicka Sorcerer
    Hi Ya - Magicka Nightblade
    Haya-Jr II - Stamina Dragonknight / Tank

Co-Founder and Officer of Well Fitted, PvE leading EU DC Guild
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosmer is alright for a healer, but bows might mess you up. Even as a templar, people will use restoration staves. One big reason is heavy attacks with staves restore magicka. Every bow skill is physical damage, and you will not be using them. A bow gives you weapon crit (no effect on healing) a bunch of stamina, physical based abilities (no effect on magicka based healing and spell power damage), and you'll want light armor to make your spells less expensive to cast.

Racials are flavor, so bosmer are fine. If you want to be a bosmer archer, I would reccomend going stamina nightblade, they synergies well with that playstyle. If you want to be a healer, any class works but you definately want to be magicka based. Bows and medium armor are not magicka based.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pick DK to take advantage of the major mending from the ingenous shield morph or templar to take advantage of the sacred ground passive from rune focus (that one is fixed though, so IMO DK is better), make a pure stamina build, go PvP a bit to get Vigor, morph that to resounding vigor for stronger effect on other players. Put 100 CP in blessed, pick ritual or serpent mundus. Food should be Ozorga's triple trifle pockets for max health and stamina recovery.

Buy Powerful Assault from Imperial City Tel Var vendors and farm Jailbreaker set in Banished Cells for maximum stamina regeneration, pair those 2 sets 5+5 and craft a powered bow. Or get a bow from either set and wear one piece from Troll King or Sentinel of Rkugamz monster sets for 2% healing done. Or pair 5 Powerful Assault with 4 Eternal Hunt crafted set and wear the full 2 pieces from the said monster sets.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Powerful+Assault+Set
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Jailbreaker+Set
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Monster+Helm+Sets
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Eternal+Hunt+Set

Put your ingenous shield or rune focus and your vigor skill on the bow bar for more healing. Pop ingenous every 10 seconds and vigor just after that. You should be good to go. Note that this will work only whithin a few meters of healed targets, but if your dungeoning or PvP partners stay close should not be a problem.
    Edited by Asardes on October 24, 2016 1:40PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭

They based the Story and some of the Basics like freeplay on usual TES, but everything else is a whole new game. Also it is here an MMO with PvP and PvE, and that's what makes the difference!

from what i seen from strictly game play the leveling is based off of skyrim the classes based of mix of skyrim and oblivion

but leveling skills ect is pretty how tes alwats done it.

not too many differences only changes are night blade and alitmer not having maguc weakneses
  • PaddoPaulus
    If you are going to keep talking about other games then u are in the wrong part of the forums and obviously don't need any help.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to keep talking about other games then u are in the wrong part of the forums and obviously don't need any help.

Not like a ton of people are....

A few have, but several thought i was a troll......

Not really a good first impression, this game is set up where any race, can be any class, which can use any weapon, and ware any armore type.

I figured i try something out, and asked for help only told "no you can't do that" so i ask why, citing how other games i've experienced are, and how i don't like nightblade after it was repeatedky mention which i said i disliked it the first time i asked, and said why.

i also asked why use restoration staff as based on my research restoration staff and templar healing tree have near identical skills.

i'm listing other games as a referrence to pAst games i've played to better understand ESO.

if people want to insult me over it, make me wonder if i should play or not... because insulting a person for a petty reason gives a bad impression of the community.

also getting told "play like this or reported for trolling" is kinda petty as well. I would like help, not insulted over my questions.
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kelces wrote: »
    I used to think the same way, because I had no clue, that I could more efficiently utilize my stamina as a healer for blocking or dodging. So I thought: "Why not use a bow to use every resource I got?"

A very bad Idea, that was even worth mentioning in this thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/comment/3345582/#Comment_3345582

was gonna put points in both.

don't really get the issue, that's why i'm asking for explanation.

Perhaps you can use the Pelinal's Aptitude set to make this work, but you should definitely put all points in one of the two attributes, depending on what you want to use most - the attributes define both your power and your pool of resources. Any other way you will have a hard time doing, whatever you are up to in this game.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • PaddoPaulus
    Nobody has insulted you and troll is hardly an insult.

You hardly say thanks for the time ppl take to give you advice.

And their may not have been a 100.000 ppl giving you advice but still more advice then others get.

Now you have stopped asking questions and you're just posting off topic stuff.

Here is a video on youtube that might help:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqoFgTOoYuI

Good luck and have fun.
    Edited by PaddoPaulus on October 24, 2016 3:11PM
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really a good first impression, this game is set up where any race, can be any class, which can use any weapon, and ware any armore type.

That is the biggest lie. Technically you can do that, but in 90% of cases you will suck... hard. Such as healing with a bow. This is in NO combat aspect AT ALL similar to a single player TES game.

"Based of my research...". No, you haven't even read a single word about how skills and resources interact and what scales with what, otherwise we would not be here. Also your comments that the system is similar to other TES games proves that you didn't even give any mechanics in this game much thought or even a look at all. It is not at all like the single player games. Also if you ask advice from people, it's pretty annoying to keep asking "why?" to the same thing 7x like a 12 year old. READ. Go ingame and damn READ. You're countering (with nonsense) every single piece of advice people give you anyways, so no idea why you actually need help. I guess it'll all make sense when the bow healer gets kicked from every group finder group possible.

Here is it all summed up again:
    - No, bow healing is not viable, it sucks.
    - Healers are magicka or get kicked pretty much always.
    - No, "play the way you want" is a lie.
    - No, this is not like single player TES games.
    - Hybrids suck.

/rant
    Edited by Woeler on October 24, 2016 3:50PM
  • ldzlcs065
    ldzlcs065
    ✭✭✭
    mainly pve

I'm still pretty new got the game in September made a few trial character to get the hang of it, then took a break from the game till OT was out.

I'm new here too, so I just give an answer here based on my shallow experience. In groups dungeons you are supposed to be either healer or damage dealer, but not both. So if you want to play a healer role and also equipe a bow for role-playing perspective, my suggestion is you develope a magicka based character, put healing skills in your slot, at the same time equipe a bow and just use it … for fun. The problem is this way you cannot use skills from healing staff skill line, so templar is your best class choice because you can get a lot of healing skill from Restoring Light skill line.
    Edited by ldzlcs065 on October 24, 2016 4:24PM
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to those who actually helped. Sorry for my rude post. I was getting anxiety from the negative comments and the troll witch-hunt comments because of the negativity around a troll on the internet (someone being argumentative for the sake of attention). I get anxiety easily due to having autism spectrum disorder (and no im not playing victim or using it as a crutch) and wasn't trying to come off negative, but it sucks being new and being called a troll for asking questions. I was asking questions because I am an avid TES player and ESO was advertised as a multiplayer ES game being able to play as any class, any race with any weapon and any armor type. My previous experience was FF14 (in recent memory) was very rigid where your class was based on your weapon and had a set armor that only that class could wear. And people on FF14 complained about lack of customization.

So I'm asking questions cause I am new, I don't know the community, and I don't know what is up-to-date on this game due to it being roughly 3yrs old, wasn't popular (at least at first) and recently did a major change, and was making sure what was being said was the meta of the community or how the game works. I ask this cause you start with a greatsword (in the tutorial) no matter the class and can equip any armor while going through the cold harbor intro. So it is confusing based on what the game dishes out to you at first and what the community wants.

I'm also kinda curious, how do you stat out a tank? do you go full health, health/stamina or full stamina? cause based on what i saw, dragonknight skills had magicka cost at first and morphed into costing stamina. And the game didnt specify if a skill scaled with magicka or stamina, just that it cost a certain amount.

I'm asking these questions cause this game doesn't come with a manual on how skill scaling works. stuff isn't easy to find because most people say "google it" (in my experience) and like i said, I don't know what is up-to-date because people don't provide links; again, in past experiences with ff14 and Neverwinter. Moreso in Neverwinter cause it had a similar customization.

The reason I listed other games is to help me understand the systems I have questions about by comparing it to my past experiences because all mmo have similarities.

Again thanks for the help to those who actually helped me, If anyone can answer my tank question on stats it would be much appreciated :) I'm just trying to learn the game based off what the devs said and advertised vs how the community plays which isn't exactly the same.

And for those who thought i was a troll, please try not to do troll witch hunts. Not everyone who asks questions is a troll and it can be seen as a negative welcome being labeled as a troll when you are coming in fresh into a game that has been out for a while; more-so a game that isn't very popular and doesn't have a lot of information about it without heavy searching and not a lot of people know what to search for and what is considered up-to-date.

Thanks again :smile: I hope you guys understand now. I'm not trying to be a troll. I'm just trying to learn. Have a good day :smiley:
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main char is a tank and he is full stamina build. I've played many dungeons and found out that most times I died was from lack of stamina for blocking, rolling out of danger and self heals (with vigor). But that's an endgame build, because I can only reach the target health or about 26-27K using tri-glyphs, which tend to be expensive. As tank my stats are 13.5K magicka, 26.6K health and 32.7K stamina in full gold gear enchanted with tri-glyphs and blue CP150 health & stamina food. Tanks do indeed use magicka, but mostly for utility. So having lots of regeneration is more useful than having a large pool. I can boost my magicka regen to 1.3K with Atronach mundus, and even further with Orsinium food. Even without that I'm able to spam chains and talons without any issues.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • PaddoPaulus
    "I don't know what is up-to-date on this game due to it being roughly 3yrs old"
    In google there are search tools, u can tell google to search only the past month or year to get uptodate information.

"I'm asking these questions cause this game doesn't come with a manual"
    There is a help menu in game (push F1).

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was asking questions because I am an avid TES player and ESO was advertised as a multiplayer ES game being able to play as any class, any race with any weapon and any armor type.
    This is technically true. The problem people often don't realize? Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's effective. Some builds are great, some average, and some are utter crap. You can run around naked with nothing but a resto staff if you want, but don't expect to be a competent damage dealer.

Another problem: this is a multiplayer game. When you're in a group, other people rely on you to do your job well. Maybe you can survive on your own as a bow healer, why not. But when you have to keep three other people alive, messing around with suboptimal builds might not cut it. If you know the game well, you can try experimenting, but if you're a newbie AND use inadequate gear, nobody will take seriously.

And one more: single player games force you to play a hybrid by default. You're a one-man army, you need to take care of offense, defense and buffs all on your own. Class-based MMOs typically encourage deeper specialization. This isn't betraying the spirit of TES, as some used to think, it's just adjusting to the nature of the genre. ESO is pretty nice anyway in that any class can do any role, just not all at the same time.
    Edited by Rosveen on October 25, 2016 1:41PM
  • Valyndras
    Valyndras
    ✭✭
    Thanks to those who actually helped. Sorry for my rude post. I was getting anxiety from the negative comments and the troll witch-hunt comments because of the negativity around a troll on the internet (someone being argumentative for the sake of attention). I get anxiety easily due to having autism spectrum disorder (and no im not playing victim or using it as a crutch) and wasn't trying to come off negative, but it sucks being new and being called a troll for asking questions. I was asking questions because I am an avid TES player and ESO was advertised as a multiplayer ES game being able to play as any class, any race with any weapon and any armor type. My previous experience was FF14 (in recent memory) was very rigid where your class was based on your weapon and had a set armor that only that class could wear. And people on FF14 complained about lack of customization.

So I'm asking questions cause I am new, I don't know the community, and I don't know what is up-to-date on this game due to it being roughly 3yrs old, wasn't popular (at least at first) and recently did a major change, and was making sure what was being said was the meta of the community or how the game works. I ask this cause you start with a greatsword (in the tutorial) no matter the class and can equip any armor while going through the cold harbor intro. So it is confusing based on what the game dishes out to you at first and what the community wants.

I'm also kinda curious, how do you stat out a tank? do you go full health, health/stamina or full stamina? cause based on what i saw, dragonknight skills had magicka cost at first and morphed into costing stamina. And the game didnt specify if a skill scaled with magicka or stamina, just that it cost a certain amount.

I'm asking these questions cause this game doesn't come with a manual on how skill scaling works. stuff isn't easy to find because most people say "google it" (in my experience) and like i said, I don't know what is up-to-date because people don't provide links; again, in past experiences with ff14 and Neverwinter. Moreso in Neverwinter cause it had a similar customization.

The reason I listed other games is to help me understand the systems I have questions about by comparing it to my past experiences because all mmo have similarities.

Again thanks for the help to those who actually helped me, If anyone can answer my tank question on stats it would be much appreciated :) I'm just trying to learn the game based off what the devs said and advertised vs how the community plays which isn't exactly the same.

And for those who thought i was a troll, please try not to do troll witch hunts. Not everyone who asks questions is a troll and it can be seen as a negative welcome being labeled as a troll when you are coming in fresh into a game that has been out for a while; more-so a game that isn't very popular and doesn't have a lot of information about it without heavy searching and not a lot of people know what to search for and what is considered up-to-date.

Thanks again :smile: I hope you guys understand now. I'm not trying to be a troll. I'm just trying to learn. Have a good day :smiley:

Hi there ;)

I myself play ESO on and off and I am by no means an expert. I also played previous TES games and loved them. (still actively modding Skyrim.)

I also have been looking for a setup similar like this. A bow healer, inspired by Rosa from Final Fantasy 4. I have been looking far and wide to make it possible. A few months ago, I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9_gAugYunI

I am nowhere near getting all the requirements for this build, but I decided to make it 100% by myself. (more on why later)

I used to take part of in guild trials, vet dungeons, etc a whole while back. However my guild didn't really let me play the way I wanted. We were forced into those "meta-cookie cutter" builds. (For instance, all stamina builds needed to be Redguards and all magicka builds needed to be Altmer.) I must say, I did not enjoy this kind of minmaxing. There is nothing wrong with those that do, though, but it wasn't just my cup of tea.

So I took a very long break (over 18 months), quit all my guilds and only recently came back for One Tamriel. I have changed my playstyle enormously. Now, I spend my time roleplaying (not ERP though!), doing small daily crafting writs, etc.

I also decided not to use any wayshrines, so I can enjoy traversing the world. When I need to travel somewhere, I only go on horseback/foot, except for the zones that aren't connected yet and need to be reached by boat.
    While I travel the lands, I gather ingredients and do every "event" that's going on, on my way. (World Bosses, Dark Anchors, etc). With my motto being: It's all about the journey, no the end(game).

I basically treat the game as a single player experience. I don't do any instance dungeons (maybe an occiasonal group delve now and then) and I have completely left the competitive aspect of the game behind. (no PvP, no PvE instanced dungeons)

Now, for this type of playstyle, it doesn't matter that much whether my build is the current "meta-cookie cutter". So I can play the way I want to play.

So, I made a Witch Hunter Templar Bow Support/DD. I can do the single player content with ease, while still being a tad helpful at World Bosses.

I admit, I might be a "filthy casual" and my build might "suck hard" in the eyes of those that prefer minmaxing, but personally I'm loving it. And for me, that's all what it's about.

I have also decided to make it my journey to make the build I linked, by myself. It might take ages, but remember, it's all about the journey, not the end. So no rush, no pressure.

I just thought I'd share this. I hope it helps. If you want to know about my casual build, or my playstyle, feel free to contact me.

Kind regards

Val
  • ostrapz
    ostrapz
    ✭✭✭
    Panth141 wrote: »
    OP - to give you an explanation from the basics of how ESO works:

Every skill in the game is scaled based on either stamina or magicka (excluding a few caveats that depend on health). By 'scale' I'm referring to both their cost (which depends on your cost reduction investment in that stat pool, and indirectly your regeneration of that pool) and the magnitude of their healing/damage (which depends on both the size of your relevant stat pool and your spell & weapon damage for magicka and stamina skills, respectively). Furthermore stamina and magicka skills also use different critical ratings - weapon and spell crit.

The issue that you will have using bow for healing are as follows:
    • To do any reasonable damage with your bow skills, you will have to invest in maximum stamina, weapon crit and weapon damage
    • To provide any reasonable healing with your heals, you will have to invest in maximum magicka, stamina crit and spell damage
    • To sustain your use of bow attacks, you will have to invest in stamina cost reduction & stamina regen
    • To sustain your use of heals, you will have to invest in magicka cost reduction & magicka regen
    • To heal effectively, you will need to make use of the Restoration Staff skill line - these skills can only be used if you have a resto staff equipped. Templars have a dedicated healing skill line, but even they make use of Restoration staves for effective healing

So by trying to effectively use a bow and effectively heal, you will be forced to reduce the effectiveness of both your bow damage and your healing, relative to what they could be should you invest in only one. Sure, you can get through most overworld solo PvE like this, but you (and your group) will struggle if you attempt to heal dungeons and trials using a setup like this. In fact, so significant is the disparity between the bow-healing pairing and 'pure healing', that I'm afraid you'll find most groups voting to remove you, as you simply can't be as effective as the content requires.

Someone noted above the necessity to use a destruction staff, also - this isn't strictly true. I'm not sure how much you have played, but once you hit level 15 you unlock weapon swapping. As noted above, you will need one of those weapons to be a restoration staff, using resto skills. Many healers choose to use Dual Wield on the other bar, as it (nonsensically) offers greater spell power, simply based on how the game does the calculations. Hence this DW bar tends to contain the big, 'burst' heals that you want to produce the maximum heal possible. The use of a destruction staff tends to be reserved for using the skill Weakness to Elements, which returns resources to your group when they use elemental damage on a target you have debuffed; though some healers do also like to use a destruction staff to provide some additional DPS.

I'm sorry to say it, but despite the 'play how you want' label on the box, there are some combinations that are set-in-stone. This isn't about following the meta, or min/maxing - if you went to the doctor and he wanted to shoot the injections into you with a bow, rather than a needle - you'd ask some questions.

EDIT:

Oh, about your racial choice:

Each race has a trio of passives that provide buffs to your character - Wood Elves are renowned for their high regen (IIRC Wood Elves get +20% stamina regen); evidently this isn't ideal for a healer - magicka regen and maximum magicka would be better passives - see High Elves/Breton/Dunmer. However, this is a min/maxing point. You can absolutely heal most content in the game using a non-ideal race - you'll only start to see some limitations at the highest-end content - even then, if you're seriously good you can heal on any race.

@Azuramoonstar this has most of the info you need
    Xbox 1 NA
    Stamblade: Grand overlord
    Stamsorc: Major
    Magplar: Centurion
    551k vma
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't doubt you can play bosmer bow templar healer through the quests in pve and normal dungeons, but doing maelstrom with it won't happen nor will healing trials/vet dungeons.

As others have said, all of the bow skills are stamina based and do not heal. You would also be losing out on the restoration staff buffs (combat prayer ups your teams' damage, rapid regen is a good hot) and destruction staff benefits of using elemental drain to help your teams' magicka resources.

As a damage weapon, it would be quite subpar because to be a decent healer you'd need to invest your attribute and champion points into magicka/heals/magicka based damage so again you would get no benefits to the bow. So if you're wanting to be the typical end game healer type, then go templar with resto/dw or resto/destro and choose from dunmer, breton, or altmer.

If you want to be a bosmer bow build then yeah nightblade is best imo as many others have said. I realize you're saying that no, no eso ruined it...but you haven't even made it to level 10, so I don't think you're giving it a fair chance at all, nor do I think you could have possibly explored the many capabilities of the class.

For tanking, in general, a lot go dragonknight because of their CC skills and passives. I don't think I would go bosmer here for absolute min-max, but if you don't care about that then it would be fine.

If you want to go s&b and bow as bosmer, you can pick any class really though I'd recommend stam sorcs. This is because they have some decent healing through critical surge (one of their abilities), and dark deal (another of theirs) which you could put on your bow bar. They also have some insane speed.

For more ideas, check out tamriel foundry for builds, watch youtube videos, etc...