The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Thick Skinned

• nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »
    A "true" DOT will not be mitigated by your Block.

So you only have to test these damages by changing your CP's.

That's true but you can't test every last DoT on every last enemy especially when other peoples time and scores are on the line.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
    Options
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In trials, Rhakkat and the Twins both have DoT components that potentially affect multiple people in the group (Lunar/Solar Flare and the "backyard" phase. The Mage's images channel a damage over time to random people when they spawn. All of Sanctum after the Mantikora, particularly for poison, lightning from Overchargers, and the Serpent. The Warrior's Flurry attack is considered a DoT/Channel, but the tank is the only one who should be effected in this case. These are the most threatening mechanics that come to mind as it pertains to Thick Skinned, for pve.

For PvP, I consider Thick Skinned to be equally important. There are a lot of pvp (particularly dueling) builds that lay on heavy DoTs. Anytime you fight a DK or Templar, expect heavy DoTs and channels, and Thick Skinned will benefit you in these cases. Also anyone running Soul Assault. I wouldn't be too concerned about ground-based AoE DoTs, for the most part, as these can be most easily mitigated by simply moving, or in the case of trials/dungeons, healed through.
    Edited by Autolycus on October 27, 2016 2:49PM
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    In trials, Rhakkat and the Twins both have DoT components that potentially affect multiple people in the group (Lunar/Solar Flare and the "backyard" phase. The Mage's images channel a damage over time to random people when they spawn. All of Sanctum after the Mantikora, particularly for poison, lightning from Overchargers, and the Serpent. The Warrior's Flurry attack is considered a DoT/Channel, but the tank is the only one who should be effected in this case. These are the most threatening mechanics that come to mind as it pertains to Thick Skinned, for pve.

For PvP, I consider Thick Skinned to be equally important. There are a lot of pvp (particularly dueling) builds that lay on heavy DoTs. Anytime you fight a DK or Templar, expect heavy DoTs and channels, and Thick Skinned will benefit you in these cases. Also anyone running Soul Assault. I wouldn't be too concerned about ground-based AoE DoTs, for the most part, as these can be most easily mitigated by simply moving, or in the case of trials/dungeons, healed through.

@Autolycus

Do those PVE dots become mitigated by the thick skinned passive?
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    -
    Edited by Personofsecrets on October 27, 2016 4:15PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
    Options
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Any DoT is mitigated by Thick Skin, from Rakkaths Beam to Matikoras Bleed. Thick Skin helps a lot in SO for example and I always tell everyone to divide their CP between the 3 mitigation CP in SO for maximum mitigation on the posion and bleed effects. Going to about 15% in each is the best way to do it in there in my opinion. Just check for yourself with the mitigation formula. I always keep some on in there just incase. I use less of it now and more healing recieved as a tank but for a DPS or healer I would go with almost equal in all 3 if you dont want to have to change it each fight. But like @Woeler usually say in his videos the best option is to change your CP to fit the boss fights, for HM's that is, for none HM and earlier bosses in the Trials I think its really ok to go with almost what ever as long as you survive.
    Options
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »

@Autolycus

Do those PVE dots become mitigated by the thick skinned passive?

It should, yes. I can't say I've explicitly tested each of them, and there are some I'm more confident in saying "yes" to than others. Like SO, for example, I'm very confident that Thick Skinned mitigates some of the damage from Poison, lightning from Overchargers, the Serpent's channeled group-wide AoE, and even the DoT component of the Mantikora's group-wide stomp attack. My experience with the "backyard' phase of Rhakkat is limited, but it's a damage over time, and it should be mitigated by Thick Skinned. I believe it deals magic damage, but I might be mistaken so feel free to correct me if someone knows better.

However, it's really important to consider the type of damage being dealt, too. Hardy and Elemental Defender are often more important stars when it comes to mitigation. We want to find the right balance between all three, but generally speaking, best practice favors overweighting Hardy relative to the other two. Hardy protects against the Mantikora's raid-wide (both the DoT and the initial impact) and the Serpent's raid-wide. Ele Defender protects against the lightning from Overchargers. The Lunar/Solar Flare from the Twins is magic damage and a DoT, so Ele Defender and Thick Skinned are both beneficial. Zhaj'hassa (first boss MoL) deals raid-wide damage during his shield phase too, but I can't remember if it's physical or magical/elemental. I think it's physical, and if I'm correct, Hardy and Thick Skinned would apply.

So, you can see that there is some overlap, and from this we can infer that there is a "happy medium" somewhere in between stacking all-in to each respective star. The actual values for each star is contingent upon build, and in some cases, race. It will vary with role as well, like a tank may consider weighting these differently than a dps or healer would. In any case, some balance between all three is ideal, regardless of how it varies within each build. In both my tank and dps role, I weight Hardy 2:1 relative to Thick Skinned and Ele Defender, but I underweight Ele Defender slightly because, as a Breton, I have higher natural spell resist.
    Options
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if they've been mentioned but here are some examples;

in the Rakkhat Fight (Dark Barrage, Searing Shadows, Debt of Lorkhaj) are all reduced by Thick Skinned, Lunar Flare, Radiant Destruction, Negate, and the bleed from the Twins, and any of the Negates/bleeds from the trash in Maw of Lorkaj.

Spreading Poison, Overcharge, Acid Spray, and bleeds from trash in Sanctum, the bleeds from Mantikora as well as his spear ground effect, and Lightning Pins on Ozara for Sanctum Ophidia.

All of the Atronach's Lightning effects, desecrated ground from the Foundation Atro, and the Mage's Arcane Torrent for Aetherian Archive.

Roko-tu's whirlwind effect (although no amount of damage mitigation other than corrosive will save you from that) and the tornado's, the channeled fire attack from the Flame Shapers, bleeds/acid spray from the mini trash, Starfall and Channeled Swipes from the Warrior in Hel Ra Citadel.

4 man content has plenty of DoTs in them too, but is pretty redundant.

Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
    Options
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

in the Rakkhat Fight (Dark Barrage, Searing Shadows, Debt of Lorkhaj) are all reduced by Thick Skinned, Lunar Flare, Radiant Destruction, Negate, and the bleed from the Twins, and any of the Negates/bleeds from the trash in Maw of Lorkaj.

Spreading Poison, Overcharge, Acid Spray, and bleeds from trash in Sanctum, the bleeds from Mantikora as well as his spear ground effect, and Lightning Pins on Ozara for Sanctum Ophidia.

All of the Atronach's Lightning effects, desecrated ground from the Foundation Atro, and the Mage's Arcane Torrent for Aetherian Archive.

Roko-tu's whirlwind effect (although no amount of damage mitigation other than corrosive will save you from that) and the tornado's, the channeled fire attack from the Flame Shapers, bleeds/acid spray from the mini trash, Starfall and Channeled Swipes from the Warrior in Hel Ra Citadel.

This is a much better summary and I would defer to Gilliam on this one.
    Options
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Any DoT is mitigated by Thick Skin, from Rakkaths Beam to Matikoras Bleed. Thick Skin helps a lot in SO for example and I always tell everyone to divide their CP between the 3 mitigation CP in SO for maximum mitigation on the posion and bleed effects. Going to about 15% in each is the best way to do it in there in my opinion. Just check for yourself with the mitigation formula. I always keep some on in there just incase. I use less of it now and more healing recieved as a tank but for a DPS or healer I would go with almost equal in all 3 if you dont want to have to change it each fight. But like @Woeler usually say in his videos the best option is to change your CP to fit the boss fights, for HM's that is, for none HM and earlier bosses in the Trials I think its really ok to go with almost what ever as long as you survive.

Correct, people that don't evaluate their CP when hopping from one vet trial to another are slackers and deserve to die on every bossfight.
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@paulsimonps , why don't I observe thick skinned decreasing damage done by the warriors flurry attack?
    Don't tank

Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for confirming the practical use of thick skinned.
    Don't tank

Options
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@paulsimonps , why don't I observe thick skinned decreasing damage done by the warriors flurry attack?

Cause for some reason it doesnt count as a channel even thought its in its name. Die by it and check your recap and you will notice that each hit has its own bit on it, a DoT is accumilative into one. So there for his channeled sweaps are not a DoT
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Cause for some reason it doesnt count as a channel even thought its in its name. Die by it and check your recap and you will notice that each hit has its own bit on it, a DoT is accumilative into one. So there for his channeled sweaps are not a DoT

That makes sense. @paulsimonps , can you also explain why that attack doesn't count as AOE for the purposes of Bahrahas Curse?
    Don't tank

Options
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That makes sense. @paulsimonps , can you also explain why that attack doesn't count as AOE for the purposes of Bahrahas Curse?

Um not sure what you mean, that sets only have a mitigation increase towards TRAPS nothing about AoEs as far as i know.
    Options
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No releasing trade secrets!
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
    Options
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a pretty good example of why weighting resistances to the damage type (physical, poison, magic, etc.) is often more valuable than weighting resistances to attack type (DoT). I typically weight Hardy twice as heavily as Thick Skinned, but this isn't an appropriate strategy for everyone. It should be determined on a case-by-case basis imo.
    Options