Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

NoOb Advice - DK Tank, where'e me taunts Vicar?

Wolfhammer
Wolfhammer
✭✭✭
So I'm sat here looking at a build calculator toying with rolling a DK tank to see how the other half lives..

I've been noticing in some threads people /facepalm'ing because the tank didn't taunt.. Well I've look through the DK class skills, sword n board and 2h and can only see 1 taunt in total, and that being in S+B (puncture)..

So my question is, where do the taunts come from??

Oh and a quick question: Redguard or Imperial as a race?

Thanks in advance..
Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only that and inner fire from undaunted.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Only that and inner fire from undaunted.

Holy crap is that it? Must be a total b'stard holding agro in dungeons...

Well the good tanks out in the world have a renewed measure of respect from this healer..... It's like giving healers 2 heals lol
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You dont taunt all adds at once. You can root them, CC them and debuf them with aoe. You taunt the most nescesary mobs. When it comes to boss, you usually only have to taunt one enemy anyway. Mob packs are basicly stack and burn.
    Edited by OrphanHelgen on October 26, 2016 2:46PM
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's right, there are only 2 taunts in the game:
    melee taunt: Puncture, 1st skill in One Hand and Shield line (and morphs)
    ranged taunt: inner fire, 3rd skill in the Undaunted skill line (and morphs)
    Some skills can work as very short duration taunts for example DK Fiery Grip (chains), and most DoT skills, they work until the mob/boss takes damage from another player. So they are best when used as openers for a trash pull.

My DK tank would do something like this in a trash pull:
    1. Cinder storm -> 2. Noxious Breath -> 3. Choking Talons -> 4. Volatile Armor -> 5. Pierce Armor and Heroic Slash on stronger enemies -> 6. Relentless Grip on ranged enemies to pull them in CC/AoE/DoTs .Refresh until DDs finish the job, bash to interrupt channels, retaunt as needed, drop Standard of Might if you have it ready and enough mobs are piled together.

Race is not really that important but having both a health bonus and especially a large stamina pool is very important because harder boss fights involve a lot of gap closing (Invasion), roll dodging/evasion (Shuffle), breaking CC/fear, bash interrupting in quick succession; your stamina pool does not fill while blocking, and shards fill 1/4 so having a bigger one fills more. Both Redguard and especially Imperial are good choices. Nord and Orc are good as well. Argonian might work especially as sap tank due to healing bonuses. Dunmer is also a good but less obvious choice due to both stamina and magicka bonuses - most high end tanks are hybrid builds. Races like khajiit and bosmer are not that good since the regeneration bonus is mostly lost while blocking.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Great info ty,
    So a tank is ok to to hybrid?

DK class skills are all Magika, although a couple can be converted to Stam, but at the same time the weap skill lines like sword n board are stam based.

What kind of ratio would you do between Health/Stam/Mag?

Thanks
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on playstyle really. Endgame builds might not work for mid levels or low CP count.

My DK tank is now full stamina build, but I can afford that because I have full gold gear with gold tri-glyphs, fully leveled Undaunted and I'm at the CP cap. But before that, when I didn't have all those stat bonuses, I had to run as hybrid, with my attribute points spread something like 22 magicka | 20 Health | 22 stamina. Of course killing stuff overworld was a real pain but I needed to have a balanced build to do veteran dungeons as tank.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Depends on playstyle really. Endgame builds might not work for mid levels or low CP count.

My DK tank is now full stamina build, but I can afford that because I have full gold gear with gold tri-glyphs, fully leveled Undaunted and I'm at the CP cap. But before that, when I didn't have all those stat bonuses, I had to run as hybrid, with my attribute points spread something like 22 magicka | 20 Health | 22 stamina. Of course killing stuff overworld was a real pain but I needed to have a balanced build to do veteran dungeons as tank.

Thanks
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For dungeons expect to have at least 25-28k health// 15-18k Magica ( more the better) 25-28k stamina. And these nos are for indication only and not to be taken figuratively.
    For race- My choice is Argonian but most people will got with Imperial or Nord, however on imperial apart from the extra stats I see no utility for which Argonians are great and with the passive I'm usually 2nd healer in group with Igneous shield + Vigor combo. My heals are almost 25% stronger than a imperial tank and I can do 8-10 chains back to back while imperials give up after 4/5. And best of all I don't even need tri stat pots even in vet trials and use those trash pots and I'm good to go.
    And the Argonians look Stronk.

So take your pick.
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfhammer wrote: »
    Great info ty,
    So a tank is ok to to hybrid?

DK class skills are all Magika, although a couple can be converted to Stam, but at the same time the weap skill lines like sword n board are stam based.

What kind of ratio would you do between Health/Stam/Mag?

Thanks

All tanks are hybrids, to varying degrees. It depends on your pick of skills and how you wish to focus your abilities, really.

One of our stamina tanks swears by 1/3 attributes in health, 2/3 in stamina, all health enchants, and nothing in magicka.
    Others go for an emphasis on magicka, rather than stamina.
    Others emphasize health and health regeneration and don't worry about blocking.
    I am working on a "magicka" tank with all attributes in stamina, all enchants health, and a very high magicka regeneration.

You do need a minimum health for tanking, to avoid being one shot, but aside from that everything else is up to your preferred style. I think the rule of thumb is, bare minimum, 25k+ for most dungeons, 35k+ for Trials? But I may be off with my numbers by a bit.
    Edited by SolarCat02 on October 26, 2016 5:43PM
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's aggro fro mutants and then... Soft aggro I guess.

If your dps don't have adhd and let you run in first, you can cast stuff to get their attention.

For instance, on a DK, you use the Dk skill for resistance buff. I chose volatile. Don't buff up before a fight. Run into the mobs and then hit it. The damage it does will get their aggro. Then talons. My saptank will use refreshing path then sap.

Then you taunt what might be issues if they get loose. So the big hitters. Most or them will stay aggro on you anyway though.