The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dueling is imbalanced

• Aiphaton
    Aiphaton
    ✭✭✭✭
    This game should never be balanced around 1v1 and it should remain the novelty that it is.All balance threads that arise from dueling should be ignored.

Give that man A Zerg :3
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    The only way to get truly balanced is to go back to the good old days of Quake Arena where everyone had the same gear and stats.
    The one thing you could always count on back then, when you lost, it was because either you screwed up or you just weren't good enough.

But as soon as you have more than one option, balance goes out the door and skill takes the backseat.
    You better get used to it, it will never change.
    shades.gif

The fact that you can't get a perfect balance state, doesn't mean that you should have complete unbalanced and broken things. We all know that you can't have a perfect balance, but that is no reason to don't balance things. Balance is not an objective that have to reach, is a constant effort to keep the game as balanced as possible.
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    SirAndy wrote: »
    The only way to get truly balanced is to go back to the good old days of Quake Arena where everyone had the same gear and stats.
    The one thing you could always count on back then, when you lost, it was because either you screwed up or you just weren't good enough.

But as soon as you have more than one option, balance goes out the door and skill takes the backseat.
    You better get used to it, it will never change.
    shades.gif

The fact that you can't get a perfect balance state, doesn't mean that you should have complete unbalanced and broken things. We all know that you can't have a perfect balance, but that is no reason to don't balance things. Balance is not an objective that have to reach, is a constant effort to keep the game as balanced as possible.

You can't have that balance though when ZOS takes a YEAR to bring classes up to par with others...some effort right there...
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time a stamina dk came at my magsorc with flurry, fossilize, beast trap, noxious breath, and venom claw, and wings, while healing for 5k+ hps, I pretty much went, "welp... I'm probably only going to beat that if he has a stroke while dueling me." Dude was probably wearing 5 heavy and using vitality pots as well.

It's kinda funny really. I've found that in open pvp, most people build around burst damage, and thus I've gotten pretty good at anticipating the burst each class can do. But dot builds in 1v1 dueling just eats my defenses and sorc burst with curse and frags is just too slow to counter. And to make things even more interesting, this encounter was before velidreth and viper were everywhere. So now they can have a dot build with built in periodic heavy bursts.

It might not have been so bad if fossilize and agony weren't hard counters to sorc shields. As far as I've observed, only damage to HEALTH releases a target from disorient effects, so a disorient spammer can basically strip a sorc's shields with an unblockable CC.

#balanced

It's fine though. I don't take dueling too seriously. For me, it's mostly a fantastic way to test some abilities or sets for pvp with a guild mate in a controlled environment.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't play PvP or duel, and I never intend to. i see duelling more like a mini PvP game, a hobby, and since PvPers already have countless threads on what's imbalanced and all, wouldn't it logically just be the same issues as PvP, in regards to balance?
    I get bored plenty at work and read all sorts of threads on the forum, which is why I landed here. I'm genuinely curious. All cries about imbalance in duels, aren't they the same balancing issues that you encounter in cyrodiil? Black rose and HA impen and sets that proc like crazy..etc.
    Edited by BlanketFort on October 20, 2016 2:15PM
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't play PvP or duel, and I never intend to. i see duelling more like a mini PvP game, a hobby, and since PvPers already have countless threads on what's imbalanced and all, wouldn't it logically just be the same issues as PvP, in regards to balance?
    I get bored plenty at work and read all sorts of threads on the forum, which is why I landed here. I'm genuinely curious. All cries about imbalance in duels, aren't they the same balancing issues that you encounter in cyrodiil? Black rose and HA impen and sets that proc like crazy..etc.

Yeah pretty much. That said, proc sets aren't a problem on ok to bad players. Sure maybe they help them to be a bit better, but a bad player is still a bad player. Any good player can still defeat an average player with a proc set.

But ... the proc sets are a huge problem when the top 5% of players use them. Think of it kind of like when Barry Bonds was doing steroids.