Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Dagmar is an Invalid Name?

Daraugh
Daraugh
✭✭✭✭✭
I had a low level character named Dagmar Frostfall that I wanted to recreate in a different class. There was some funkiness when I deleted her and went to recreate her though, an internet hiccup or something I think. After that hiccup, I haven't been able to use the name. It doesn't say name in use, the popup says "Invalid Name." The name isn't in use by any player and I tried it with a different first name and it worked. I tried "Dagmar" with a variety of last names and got "Invalid Name" every time. What's up with Dagmar that is causing the popup? I'd really like to have my name back!
May all beings have happiness
May they be free from suffering
May they find the joy that has never known suffering
May they be free from attachment and hatred

Best Answer

• Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    np =) Wow that is weird though, sorry I can't help you more. All I can suggest is that you submit a ticket and pray that they respond. It might take a few tries.
    PC/EU DC
    Answer ✓
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weird, you didn't put an extra space in that's screwing it up or anything? Also the old favourite : did you close eso + launcher before doing so?
    PC/EU DC
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I had to close the game all the way down, as I created her on my alt account originally. Then I deleted her to recreate her on my main account. They're two separate accounts with different user names and everything. I launch the game from the .exe file rather than the launcher.

If I got the popup from trying to use the same name with the same last name, I'd say someone else beat me to it. But it happens with any last name. I've even tried variations like Dagmaer or Dágmar and still get the popup. Can a name file (?) become corrupted somehow, clientside?
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm very strange, yeah it could be a corrupted file, though that should only cause problems with one name, not different variations of it. I'll see what it does on mine (I won't take the name, just test it on character creation)
    PC/EU DC
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the error pop up right after you enter the name or when your done creating the character?
    PC/EU DC
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It pops up when I hit the "enter game" button. So she'll be a good to go, I choose to skip the tutorial and that's when I get the popup. I think I've tried using the other option, to do the tutorial though. That would be worth a try!

Thanks so much for helping me out @TheWhiteDarkness! :)
  • Lariana
    Lariana
    ✭✭✭✭
    The term "dag" might be the issue here; see Dag (subculture).
    The literal meaning is a dung-caked lock of wool around the hindquarters of a sheep – an abbreviation of "daglock".

Although if that is indeed the reason, it's funny what ESO's filters block out :D
    Not even daedra have two left feet!
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lariana wrote: »
    The term "dag" might be the issue here; see Dag (subculture).
    The literal meaning is a dung-caked lock of wool around the hindquarters of a sheep – an abbreviation of "daglock".

Although if that is indeed the reason, it's funny what ESO's filters block out :D

Though Dagmar is also a feminine Scandinavian or German given name. And he was able to use the name before.
    PC/EU DC
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, no matter what last name I choose, for whatever reason Dagmar is a no go according to filters. Except that I have a Dagmar on EU and have used it before. I remember reading a post about name availability in which the person trying to create their character couldn't use a name they had *just* used on a deleted character. It sounds like the same issue. Name isn't taken, just bugged on my account now, after the wonky deletion.