Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I wonder, how would Queen Aryen react to a half elf?

subtlezeroub17_ESO
subtlezeroub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Considering my red-guard toon is half elf and knows magic. How would she realistically react to him? Even though he was not born in the Summerset isles but was raised there and knows all the customs and traditions.

Looks wise he has the overall appearance of a red-guard except there's certain things about him that look slightly "elfy" like pointed ears (but more human shaped) and elf like large eye pupils with the Altmer golden eye color. So it's obvious to most pure humans that he's not completely human.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meow.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think she would care in the least. As long as he upholds the values of the Dominion, he would be welcomed into her entourage, just like anyone else.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She wouldn't mine the elf half sitting on the Ruby Throne, but she wouldn't want the human half there :P
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I don't think she would care in the least. As long as he upholds the values of the Dominion, he would be welcomed into her entourage, just like anyone else.

Yes. This is one reason why I prefer Aldmeri.
    Edited by CapnPhoton on August 5, 2016 3:46PM
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • mrvbalc
    mrvbalc
    ✭✭✭
    **** all elves and tailed creatures. Imperials FTW. We need fourth faction with only imperials.
    967qe6gfe8s7.png
    Balc
    As always Dragon of the Dominion
  • Lyrander
    Lyrander
    ✭✭✭
    mrvbalc wrote: »
    **** all elves and tailed creatures. Imperials FTW. We need fourth faction with only imperials.

hahaha ^^

actually i would like that.....
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since there are no half-elves (or half-anything; children of mixed race couples are always the race of the mother) in TES lore, she would probably treat them no different from any regular human.
    Edited by Ghanima_Atreides on August 22, 2016 6:50PM
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • subtlezeroub17_ESO
    subtlezeroub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since there are no half-elves (or half-anything; children of mixed race couples are always the race of the mother) in TES lore, she would probably treat them no different from any regular human.

According to lore, you can still take mild characteristics from the fathers race although as a whole you are the mothers race. So that is not entirely true. So, with that being said, it is very possible for a half human half elf to have characteristics that differentiate them from normal humans, even if it is subtle.

• Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bretons are the result of generations of interbreeding of humans and elves. Seems like a half elf to me.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ghanima_Atreides : *cough*Bretons*cough*
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My char is an 8th orsimer and the rest altmer. My queen is grateful for my service, what she says about me in private is none of my business ;)
    PC | EU
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say she'd tolerate him as long as he supported her vision for the Dominion. That being said interracial relationships are frowned upon in the Isles, so he's probably going to have a hard time in general due to the society's views on his parents' relationship; especially if he's showing some obvious signs of his father's race.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭

According to lore, you can still take mild characteristics from the fathers race although as a whole you are the mothers race. So that is not entirely true. So, with that being said, it is very possible for a half human half elf to have characteristics that differentiate them from normal humans, even if it is subtle.

Yes, subtle, like an affinity for magic (in this case) or unusual strength or perhaps a certain skin tint...but full-on elf eyes and ears on a human seemed less than subtle to me (and we never see such things in the games nor read about them in the lore books...that I am aware of). What I mean to say is, they would be rather obviously identified as their mother's race, certainly at first glance, not as a hybrid. But I'm just being pedantic now. :lol:

Bretons are the result of generations of interbreeding of humans and elves. Seems like a half elf to me.

Yes, key word being "generations". They became what they are through consistent interbreeding with elves over many years, and they are still considered humans, not half-elves by both themselves and Altmer.

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Oddly enough there is a quest in the questline that seems to suggest otherwise. In stonefalls there is a Thane with a Dunmer wife. This thane fought in the akaviri war and while recovering he was tended to by a dunmer woman who became his wife. Their sons look particularly Nord, with slight elven traits.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough there is a quest in the questline that seems to suggest otherwise. In stonefalls there is a Thane with a Dunmer wife. This thane fought in the akaviri war and while recovering he was tended to by a dunmer woman who became his wife. Their sons look particularly Nord, with slight elven traits.

They are not their sons; they cannot be. The Akaviri War took place in 2E 572, 10 years prior to the events of the game. Those are all obviously adult men, so Hrogar must have had them with a previous (Nord) wife.

• Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, subtle, like an affinity for magic (in this case) or unusual strength or perhaps a certain skin tint...but full-on elf eyes and ears on a huma

Yes, subtle, like an affinity for magic (in this case) or unusual strength or perhaps a certain skin tint...but full-on elf eyes and ears on a human seemed less than subtle to me (and we never see such things in the games nor read about them in the lore books...that I am aware of). What I mean to say is, they would be rather obviously identified as their mother's race, certainly at first glance, not as a hybrid. But I'm just being pedantic now. :lol:

Yes, key word being "generations". They became what they are through consistent interbreeding with elves over many years, and they are still considered humans, not half-elves by both themselves and Altmer.

The lore may not use the terminology of half breed but the lore agrees that the genetics of Bretons which make them their own race is a blend of elf and human. So by other Fantasy genre terminology a half-elf or as close as you will come in TES.

Not sure what your distinction is with generations that is how long it takes for all species to evolve.
    Edited by Curragraigue on August 23, 2016 7:12AM

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Curragraigue

My distinction has to do with the fact that it took many generations for Bretons to acquire their elvish traits, even if "Bretons appear, by and large, much like other pale-skinned humans" (quote from the wiki), and even those who show their ancestry more prominently do so "upon closer inspection" (another quote). The issue here was with the idea of a single pairing producing offspring that is visibly a hybrid between two races, which so far as I know, isn't possible beyond a few subtle traces. But granted, "subtle" is in the eye of the beholder.

As for Bretons, they are their own race, yes. A race considered by and large human by the denizens of Tamriel, despite their mixed blood. What other Fantasy genres would consider it doesn't concern me since we're discussing TES.

• Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Curragraigue

My distinction has to do with the fact that it took many generations for Bretons to acquire their elvish traits, even if "Bretons appear, by and large, much like other pale-skinned humans" (quote from the wiki), and even those who show their ancestry more prominently do so "upon closer inspection" (another quote). The issue here was with the idea of a single pairing producing offspring that is visibly a hybrid between two races, which so far as I know, isn't possible beyond a few subtle traces. But granted, "subtle" is in the eye of the beholder.

As for Bretons, they are their own race, yes. A race considered by and large human by the denizens of Tamriel, despite their mixed blood. What other Fantasy genres would consider it doesn't concern me since we're discussing TES.

@Ghanima_Atreides looks like we were both focusing on different parts of your sentence. I was focused on the statement that there are no half-elves and you were focused on there are no people that share genetics of two species after one coupling.

Bretons may mostly look human but they are their own race as a result of a mix of the human species and the elf species. They are therefore a blend of the two. While the lore seems to want to maintain that it is a separate race of human the effective result of the breeding is that Bretons are genetically descendants of both elfs and humans. Whether they physically show their ancestry in appearance (which they do with their eyes being able to be elven colours) the fact remains they are an interbreed and hence half elf, whether the lore refers to them as such or not.

• Burning_Talons
    Burning_Talons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean Bretons? I mean here army kills them
  • Wild_Monk
    Wild_Monk
    ✭✭
    My character is originally from Skyrim. I started playing as a Nord, a year ago. And I normally play for Dominion.
      Europe is not there, where is Berlin. Europe is there, where the German comes.

For me, the Empire - it Nords, in the synthesis of the elves. This is my idea and goal of the game.