Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you have to do Mages Guild Quest to advance the skill line?

kylewwefan
kylewwefan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I made a new Toon and working on getting Meteor. I'm noticing the mages guild bar is not moving after finding lorebooks. Do I have to do this quest again on every toon?
  • Eweroun
    Eweroun
    ✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I made a new Toon and working on getting Meteor. I'm noticing the mages guild bar is not moving after finding lorebooks. Do I have to do this quest again on every toon?

You have to become member of the mages guild. Quick talk with one of the mages guild.
    Already found books on you character wil be added directly to the experience.

So if you found already books, you will probably pass at once to lvl 2 ,3,...
    |Lunar Lattice - Guildmaster / Fullmoon group raidlead|
    |Potato Knights - former core member|
    |former dd-"The Phoenix Reborn", former raidlead "Omnia Vincit /Playdead"|

clears: vCrag HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM (+2) - vCR+3 - vSS HM
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just need to do the "first conversation" piece with one of the Mages Guild members to obtain the skill line. After you have the skill line, leveling it is done through collecting lore books. You progress the skill line to unlock skills with lore books; you progress the skills themselves via normal leveling experience, i.e. quests, killing monsters, etc.
    Edited by Autolycus on September 23, 2016 4:38PM
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get skill line find lore books no quests are required.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • undefeatdgaul
    undefeatdgaul
    ✭✭✭
    only the purple books give the mages guild XP just fyi
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, the Quests for the Mages and Fighters do not give you any Reputation towards increasing Mages or Fighters.

They are adding Dailies to the Mages and Fighters as an alternative to leveling the Guilds, but I stil think you want to most your leveling finding the purple lore books or killing Daedra.

I wonder if they will also include the Guild Quests towards that Reputation boost with the update or in the future.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This is a good observation. At some point, every little scrap of paper you read brings up a, "Lore Book Discovered!" message. I am not sure if this is a bug. But only the purple glowing books are lore books that actually increase Mages Guild level.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I wonder if they will also include the Guild Quests towards that Reputation boost with the update or in the future.
    There's already way too many purple books in the game. You can max the Mages Guild by only finding half of them.

Adding extra gain to the quests would make finding the books completely useless.
    popcorn.gif
  • undefeatdgaul
    undefeatdgaul
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    There's already way too many purple books in the game. You can max the Mages Guild by only finding half of them.

Adding extra gain to the quests would make finding the books completely useless.
    popcorn.gif

Ive never specifically looked for the books, but Ive read every one Ive seen out and about. Completed the mages guild line & caldwells silver & gold and Im only at level 7, its a PITA. I guess im going to have to specifically go find them which Id rather not do but I want that meteor!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

popcorn.gif

@SirAndy

True, and this is more an issue now than after 1T. As it stands now, we are into the Gold Zones before we get to L10 in the Mages, (it used to be Silver but I think they removed some books as the last two Alts needed to be in the Gold Zones to finish leveling Mages)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been mostly finding them at the eye symbols and here and there....though I have specifically searched some out. It is a major pita but meteor is well worth it. I would much rather run dungeons to level up the mages guild skill line.
    I was reading about the destro staff ultimate and how it's very comparable to meteor. It may be better to wait for it with one tamriel!
    Edited by kylewwefan on September 23, 2016 5:42PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As it stands now, we are into the Gold Zones before we get to L10 in the Mages
    Not if you have any of the DLCs.

I'm using my mapping AddOn to track assets on all maps and the DLCs have added a lot of purple lore books.
    shades.gif

PS: There's also quite a few in the group dungeons.

Edited by SirAndy on September 23, 2016 5:45PM
  • undefeatdgaul
    undefeatdgaul
    ✭✭✭
    yeh but if youre on console and have no addons youre screwed and it takes forever
  • Elmour0Fudd
    Elmour0Fudd
    ✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    You just need to do the "first conversation" piece with one of the Mages Guild members to obtain the skill line. After you have the skill line, leveling it is done through collecting lore books. You progress the skill line to unlock skills with lore books; you progress the skills themselves via normal leveling experience, i.e. quests, killing monsters, etc.

totally agree, but don't forget to check any building for bookshelves,
    you may have already got the book but you can get a gem occasionally.
    or normally if it glows purple or gold go look but the shelves you have to look for.

Try Cat herding it's fun thay said you'll love it it's a good honest job........ bollock's you need Silverweave body armour to stop em fighting, but a stuffed mouse on a string can help!

• Snarrffffff

[/PC NA mainly dead Breton magic sorcerer b]

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Alg5EQDPhr8CemxApWeDYYkydrc

oh what fun
  • Lexifer452
    Lexifer452
    ✭✭
    I for one am glad they are adding dailies for the npc guilds. Also glad that they will hand out guild rep for completing them too. If there is one thing about this game that I cannot stand it is leveling mage's guild on each and every alt I level up. A more monotonous task there is not. Especially on console. Sure I have a map on my tablet while i'm doing so but none that I have found are large enough or detailed enough to pinpoint the location so there still tends to be a fair bit of mandatory exploration.

Playing stamina on my newest alt so I think i'll let it stay at rank 4 until update 12 drops. Granted the dailies probably won't give out a huge amount of reputation but it should be nice not having to find quite so many of those stupid little books.
  • Kyye
    Kyye
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

This is a good observation. At some point, every little scrap of paper you read brings up a, "Lore Book Discovered!" message. I am not sure if this is a bug. But only the purple glowing books are lore books that actually increase Mages Guild level.

I believe this happens once you complete the main story line.
    XBL GT: CWB Hempire
    Bright moons guide your steps.