Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Meta this ... build that ... please is there ANYone who actually plays for fun?

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Please tell me that there are people out there still playing for fun. enjoying the game and their characters.

Here.

I don't take any part of what I do in the game with any serious intensity. I level at my own pace. I set my own standards for gear and DPS. I mix classes and races with wild abandon and no regard for what is 'proper'. Sometimes, I don't even use the popular skills! :scream: I quest. I farm materials. I kill things. Occasionally, I just do absolutely nothing in the game.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't take any part of what I do in the game with any serious intensity.

Maybe I'm not the only one who stands around fishing and occasionally joining in chat. You can get into some mighty weird conversations that way.

Once got a blue motif for dancing naked in Vulkel Guard (c'mon you were all expecting Rawl'kla, right?)
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't ever try to be part of the meta group, but I do want a functioning character to some degree. I'm not a build expert, but I have learned from some of my own mistakes. Most of what I do in game, I do because it is fun for me. Except for farming, which I only do so I can have gold for whatever it is I might want to buy. Which is still somewhat touching on the having fun thing I guess since buying the things is part of what I want to do sometimes.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do whatever you want, just don't expect people to carry you through hard content like trials.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If yer not first, yer last
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »
    Do whatever you want, just don't expect people to carry you through hard content like trials.

I have to say that I'm not really focused on trials.

The only reason I can really get into the undaunted things is because in some tiny ways (like with Rills in BC or Whisperer in Spindleclutch) it makes a weird sort of sense for them to "return" to need to be defeated again.

Trials....

PuGs are hard enough. The idea of a dozen folks all intent on a speed run sounds horrifying to me. So much so that despite really lusting after the Moondancer set and the glowy motif... I haven't tried Lorkhan's yet.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of people play for fun, but they don't tend to make topics about their stats or build because it's less important.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do both, have my "play for fun" gear (stam sorc dps in legendary dreugh king slayer heavy armour) and my "play like everyone else" gear, (medium twice born star). When I play with my friend, we run non meta cos its more fun, but I also like group content and dont want to appear to drag the team down
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Trials....

PuGs are hard enough. The idea of a dozen folks all intent on a speed run sounds horrifying to me. So much so that despite really lusting after the Moondancer set and the glowy motif... I haven't tried Lorkhan's yet.

Stuff like that is why I've only ever run a few of the early dungeons, at low level. Most people seem to want to run super fast through them, so there is no way for me to take time, see what needs seen, or learn mechanics. Never even tried running them to get better gear since most groups want certain builds/gear/CP, etc in their groups. I'll never fit those standards :)
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With PUGs and trials, expect it to take a while.

"Shoot, I fell, be right there..."
    "Gotta use the bathroom!"
    "Smoke break"
    "Stand there... no not there... you! Get back on that spot... SoB forget it... let's dance!"

Did a trial last night with a PuG, I decided to tank, we got it done, just took forever because of above type stuff lol.
    Edited by Waffennacht on September 20, 2016 4:06PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    dc88fae51a4beb330183a6c98b69ca.png

Fun? YES! Now enjoying Wrothgar. With a pan on my head o:)
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only meta buster might be softcaps.

By all means, the point of the game should be to play for fun. Always love so see dye jobs.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you are seeing is the toxic nature of MMORPG forums. It was the same in Ultima ONline, EverQuest, Asheron's Call, DAOC, World of Warcraft, etc.

Let me sum it up for you:
    • The developers must not play the game themselves
    • The developers are breaking their own game with bad decisions
    • The game *used* to be great but now it is terribad
    • There is only one right way to do anything and anyone not doing it that way is "gimping" their group (e.g "the meta")
    • If I was rekt in PvP then it is a game mechanics issue or OP gear and build
    • The elitist raiding guilds want the game to be harder with rare and near-to-impossible to obtain gear available just for them
    • The game is dying, has died or is about to die
    • I'm guitting because XXX, and the retort: can I have your stuff

There are some good posts on the forums. You can usually tell from the title if it is going to be toxic or not.

Here it is a great quote you can apply to any gaming forum:

"I thought the game was awesome but then I went to the forums and found out that it sucks. Too bad, I really liked it"

LOL this post is gold. :)

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most people seem to want to run super fast through them, so there is no way for me to take time, see what needs seen, or learn mechanics. Never even tried running them to get better gear since most groups want certain builds/gear/CP, etc in their groups. I'll never fit those standards :)

I want to explore... and none of the speed demon folks are going to enjoy the way I do it.

and my Goblin girl is hoping someday to earn Cadwell's helm-ly blessing.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a really fun time exploring and just taking the sights and sounds of each zones that I go through.

Don't even care about meta or what not, whats more important to me is I do reasonable dps, tank and heal well enough for 4mans.

Love the fact that I am using a Nord sorcerer healer for my undaunted runs. Oh the tells that I get sometime.. And it's weird since I know the role well and it's just a matter of getting used to.

And yeah, the dye system is stupendous, and with all the motifs.. Looking good has never been easier.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love to play at your own pace?
    Great! Good for you.

You like you use a Bow on your tank build...?
    Okay, fine.

You want me to carry you through half of the Vet dungeons so you can get gear you don't deserve?
    Sure, I've soloed them. Just come along with me this time.

You want me to carry you through Veteran White Gold Tower, Imperial City Prison, Ruins of Mazzatun, or Cradle of Shadows?
    No. Absolutely not. I have stuff to do irl and don't need to burn 4hrs of time only to quit. You aren't even my friend! You're a random person I'm legitimately wasting my time on because you cannot hold your own wait in difficult content.

That's how I see it.

Do whatever you want to have fun, but do not overstep and think I will take you to run the content made for high CP players with optimized builds, knowledge of game mechanics, skill, and similarly powerful players. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings that I refused to take your CP168 Hybrid Nightblade Tank/Healer/DPS to fight in Veteran Hel Ra Citadel with my trial group consisting of only powerful CP531s, so I can complete content instead of burning the entire day for absolutely nothing.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    You want me to carry you through Veteran White Gold Tower, Imperial City Prison, Ruins of Mazzatun, or Cradle of Shadows?
    No. Absolutely not. I have stuff to do irl and don't need to burn 4hrs of time only to quit. You aren't even my friend! You're a random person I'm legitimately wasting my time on because you cannot hold your own wait in difficult content.

That's how I see it.

I don't care for trials, and my "justification" for undaunteds is that in some cases (i.e. Daedra i.e. Spindleclutch non-vet) you can't "kill" that Boss permanently anyway.

I don't farm (or have the in-game gold) to have BiS gear, but I have done Ruins of Mazzutun and Cradle of Shadows (non vet okay, working on vet) with a decently spiffed-out group who communicate very well on Skype (at one point we were all about to throw in the towel in CoS - and then we started talking it as we were doing it - hard to explain unless you know it - and it just jelled and we "got it". REally cool).

Partly we got so smeared in WGT (or was it ICP ... or both) AND the stories don't really appeal to me, so we haven't been back. I'm fine with content in the game that I'll never be good enough/optimized enough to play.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, my name is Auto, and I support playing games for fun. Thank you.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too much of a math nerd to not min/max to an extent, but part of the fun (at least for me) is coming up with effective builds that compliment my play style.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA