Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Meta this ... build that ... please is there ANYone who actually plays for fun?

newtinmpls
newtinmpls
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Maybe I'm just having a bad night. Maybe. Couldn't log on before I came into work and now I'm in withdrawal, so I come to the forums at during quiet time/break at work. Seems like all I'm seeing are threads about this meta and that build and how OP or under-P something is. Or grumbling (and not in a nice way) about ZoS this and that.

Please tell me that there are people out there still playing for fun. enjoying the game and their characters.

I want to post my character's terrible results with random color combos at the dye station and have people laugh.

I want to tell a story about something that seemed funny, or a RP or discussion thing, or a chat thing - and have people compare experiences, or laugh or even .... oh I don't know, but something other than "get gud" or "L2P".

Thanks for listening.
Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pvp
  • Jazbay_Grape
    Jazbay_Grape
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm out there. I have no idea what this week's "meta" is and I couldn't care less. I just play and have fun and enjoy it whenever I can. I'm very much under P, but the mud crabs still know fear when I stumble by.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate the meta to the point where if I see it, I will do the opposite and have fun and still be as effective as the meta builds. All most people seem to do is turn grey and follow the lead of others. Be vibrant (and I don't mean dye your armour pink/green/orange though that will make you stand out) and try something that isn't being posted around.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Im playing what I like to call a ''roleplay build'' in competitive pvp. Its lich theme with Nerieneth's and Bahrahas curse set. Soon I will be farming for sharpened lich staves with impen. robes, bracers and belt. Even my spells are dark themed with all 5 of dark magic, 2 frost stave spells and soul assault. I've even farmed for soul shriven skin to complete my looks.

My only wish right now is to get the attention of less experienced meta following players while in fight and show them the kind of fun you can have with different builds.

It sounds rather naive when I type down all this but its good to get it out of my chest :|

If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    Im playing what I like to call a ''roleplay build'' in competitive pvp. Its lich theme with Nerieneth's and Bahrahas curse set. Soon I will be farming for sharpened lich staves with impen. robes, bracers and belt. Even my spells are dark themed with all 5 of dark magic, 2 frost stave spells and soul assault. I've even farmed for soul shriven skin to complete my looks.

My only wish right now is to get the attention of less experienced meta following players while in fight and show them the kind of fun you can have with different builds.

It sounds rather naive when I type down all this but its good to get it out of my chest :|

Sharpened lich doesn't exist
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    Pvp

stuff like this would still exist with out pvp. It happens in any multiplayer out there, when you play with other people they have expectations on what they want and need.

Like a healer that can heal

a tank that can defend the group.

dd who can dps.

that's basic stuff, but the more and more group contect you do the bigger ad higher expectations are placed on you.

People want everyone to work together, rather doing your own thing. So terms like meta came up to simplify the explanation.
    Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
    Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
    Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @DannyLV702 It will with one tamriel. along with every other item slot.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to gen discussion there's a thread on noob mistakes people have made pretty funny
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    My bad it's on this page
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, just play for fun. Never rage, won't put myself through stress just to get an achievement. I play games to relax, not prove myself to people that I'm never gonna see and don't give a *** about. Never used a meta build, seems boring to me with everyone wearing the same, same rotation blah blah blah.

People try to tell me its in everyone's nature to be the best and competitive etc but it ain't, at least not in mine.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Farorin
    Farorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always played how I want to play, and do well with it.

I have never copied a build from online or another player (although I have taken advice at times when people give it).

I don't care for the metas, and I play all four classes actively, and am working on having a magicka and stam version of each class too. (I have always preferred stam builds in general though, even back when stam builds were useless way back when)

I enjoy PVE and PVP, mostly PVP though.

I personally like the game and think it is going in a good direction, I also think ZOS has finally got their act together and are doing things well, I even think Wrobel is finally doing a good job too.

Lets be happy, and play a game we like!

The forums are were the toxicists live.
  • OldGamerESO
    OldGamerESO
    ✭✭✭
    What you are seeing is the toxic nature of MMORPG forums. It was the same in Ultima ONline, EverQuest, Asheron's Call, DAOC, World of Warcraft, etc.

Let me sum it up for you:
    • The developers must not play the game themselves
    • The developers are breaking their own game with bad decisions
    • The game *used* to be great but now it is terribad
    • There is only one right way to do anything and anyone not doing it that way is "gimping" their group (e.g "the meta")
    • If I was rekt in PvP then it is a game mechanics issue or OP gear and build
    • The elitist raiding guilds want the game to be harder with rare and near-to-impossible to obtain gear available just for them
    • The game is dying, has died or is about to die
    • I'm guitting because XXX, and the retort: can I have your stuff

There are some good posts on the forums. You can usually tell from the title if it is going to be toxic or not.

Here it is a great quote you can apply to any gaming forum:

"I thought the game was awesome but then I went to the forums and found out that it sucks. Too bad, I really liked it"
  • Eweroun
    Eweroun
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you are seeing is the toxic nature of MMORPG forums. It was the same in Ultima ONline, EverQuest, Asheron's Call, DAOC, World of Warcraft, etc.

Let me sum it up for you:
    • The developers must not play the game themselves
    • The developers are breaking their own game with bad decisions
    • The game *used* to be great but now it is terribad
    • There is only one right way to do anything and anyone not doing it that way is "gimping" their group (e.g "the meta")
    • If I was rekt in PvP then it is a game mechanics issue or OP gear and build
    • The elitist raiding guilds want the game to be harder with rare and near-to-impossible to obtain gear available just for them
    • The game is dying, has died or is about to die
    • I'm guitting because XXX, and the retort: can I have your stuff

There are some good posts on the forums. You can usually tell from the title if it is going to be toxic or not.

Here it is a great quote you can apply to any gaming forum:

"I thought the game was awesome but then I went to the forums and found out that it sucks. Too bad, I really liked it"

Going to the forums with the intention "I'm going to have a laugh" is a great way to relativate it... Every noon, when I pause at work, the forum gives me my daily portion of laughter!!!
    Edited by Eweroun on September 15, 2016 10:29AM
    |Lunar Lattice - Guildmaster / Fullmoon group raidlead|
    |Potato Knights - former core member|
    |former dd-"The Phoenix Reborn", former raidlead "Omnia Vincit /Playdead"|

clears: vCrag HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM (+2) - vCR+3 - vSS HM
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood threads like that. Want to run your build? Great as long it performs in role comparably to "meta".

Just one plea from humble pug scrub. Dont force your rp builds on other people in group content if they are under performing.
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're part of the problem without even realizing it. If you don't care about the meta that's fine. And you're totally free to play the game as you see fit. But who are you to tell people how they should be enjoying the game. As if people that don't play the game as you do are wrong.

I consider myself a hardcore player and I legitimately have fun beating really hard content and talking to other hardcore players about theory crafting and optimization. But I would never tell an rper that they are playing the game wrong.

Esos casual community is the most outspoken I've ever seen.

Casual and hardcore alike : just play the game how you want, and don't worry about what the other community is doing
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kind of did what sounded good to me until end game and now I am trying to blast my way through VMA and without adhering to some form of build it aint gonna happen.

That being said with a bazillion CP you can do pretty much anything you want in most PVE - get creative, have fun. Might not work in a vet dungeon or trial but there is a lot of game where a meta simply is not required.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when i make a new character i read the skills, read the passives & make a set that strengthens its weakness or complements its strengths... this occasionally means i am unknowingly running the 'meta'.

but more often than not; im not. this doesnt effect my ability to perform the task, whether DPS, tanking or healing.

what does effect my ability to perform is the small minded attitudes & abuse i receive from people.

when I say i have my own build - they hear NOOB WHO NEEDS TO L2P.

if you run a dungeon , trial or PvP with me & im underperforming, then sure by all means offer some advice, but PLEASE for the love of all things ESO stop assuming that anything other than the meta is a waste of time!

currently running 6 unorthodox builds on 12 of my charcters. and you know what they are AWESOME!
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're part of the problem without even realizing it. If you don't care about the meta that's fine. And you're totally free to play the game as you see fit. But who are you to tell people how they should be enjoying the game. As if people that don't play the game as you do are wrong.

I consider myself a hardcore player and I legitimately have fun beating really hard content and talking to other hardcore players about theory crafting and optimization. But I would never tell an rper that they are playing the game wrong.

Casual and hardcore alike : just play the game how you want, and don't worry about what the other community is doing

It doesn't really work that way. When people are soloing it is fine because the worst case scenario is them wasting their own time. However, in group content it becomes an issue of wasting the time of others.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't really work that way. When people are soloing it is fine because the worst case scenario is them wasting their own time. However, in group content it becomes an issue of wasting the time of others.

I used to think that way but now I disagree. Most content in the game can be totally face rolled and if you're worried about other people wasting your time on the hard content then only play with people you know. That's what I do.

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I used to think that way but now I disagree. Most content in the game can be totally face rolled and if you're worried about other people wasting your time on the hard content then only play with people you know. That's what I do.

No I just explaining why the two communities clash. Playing how you want is not compatible with all group content, vet trials particularly. Even though you say you disagree, your solution is just to exclude play how you want people from hard content. That just leads to them demanding content nerfs so that they can do the content. That leads to frustration from those that don't want it nerfed.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah OP im with you. I've taken then slow path to leveling, enjoyed it all. Deffo focused on getting the max I could out of stats on the way thru as that drove me Into crafting and I like the reward playing the full rounded game gives you, so try to keep it healthy. But also driven.

Grinding wrecks the game for me. People think It doesn't but I just think its a quick fix and doesn't keep people in the game long term, most grinders / power levelers I know lose interest. And quite rightly as its so dull.

I dont get rushing through glorious content, missing the journey just to get to a destination. But I do get people playing slow 2/3 toons then wanting to fast level a new alt, it the game is so fast to level now naturally.

I'm new to MMO. And amazed by both the ranting entitlement posts but also very creative posts with ideas people expect to be in the game next release, then rage as their idea wasn't listened to lol.

In some ways forums dont help. The written word and all that, but just the battling mindset.

but hey we all moan am guilt of that myself too on certain aspects. But i hear ya. People 'seem' addicted to playing a game they publicly hate. Which is odd.

I rolled a pet healer for fun, and a Fat old orc healer again to muck around with and a thief to purely thieve. So I half role play it.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think being able to get the best performence out of a character to be fun, if it´s meta then fine....
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play the meta to have fun. I don't mind getting beat as long as it's German and not a wanna bee or sypher and not some scrub using his build. But fun is the most important thing for me. When Rhage or Chief or Yoyui or Skaffa kills me I don't think twice about it. No gear or meta is going to change the outcome in the fight when they are superior players like the for mentioned players the gear does not really matter.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    I play the meta to have fun. I don't mind getting beat as long as it's German and not a wanna bee or sypher and not some scrub using his build. But fun is the most important thing for me. When Rhage or Chief or Yoyui or Skaffa kills me I don't think twice about it. No gear or meta is going to change the outcome in the fight when they are superior players like the for mentioned players the gear does not really matter.

Lol please don't let chief see you said something nice about him

• vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OP I think some people have selective vision, there are many threads on here that are fun or not all about Meta or how OP this or that is. I am looking at the most recent topics and here are just a few:

Drunk personality
    Housing - How should it be monetized
    Medieval bathrooms for ESO
    What does Tramriel smell like
    Female altmer creation help

There are many good good topics on the forum. Don't focus on the ones you don't like.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to steer away away from the meta and just have fun . I've morphed some abilities you probably won't see in a build video just because it was fun to try them .
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can try to play whatever way you want. It will be fun for awhile. Then it starts getting in that you want to be better. Before you know it, you're decked out in gold TBS rocking Skoria or nierenth, sporting a really nice willpower or agility set. Beating your brains against the wall trying to figure out a way to beat maelstrom arena so you can get one of them op weapons everyone wants.

So when you want to get better you inevitably go meta. The gear is only gonna be as good the user. Gold julianos or nitemothers hasn't made anything easier for me. Still can't beat it.

Much of the fun in the game for me has been acquiring all this stuff and trying to learn how to use all these different skills and abilities.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Please tell me that there are people out there still playing for fun. enjoying the game and their characters.

I do. I try to get an efficient build. By that I mean I can manage my resources while doing enough damage so that I am not standing around regening for the next fight. If that goal is met, I am good to go. In no way to I try to max anything, but I do gear up and spec up with being efficient and effective in mind.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an engineer, creating a build is an optimization problem for me to solve to get the most DPS or group support out of a build. I like to work with others while I optimize. That *is* the fun for me.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate it.
    Nestor wrote: »
    I do. I try to get an efficient build. By that I mean I can manage my resources while doing enough damage so that I am not standing around regening for the next fight. If that goal is met, I am good to go. In no way to I try to max anything, but I do gear up and spec up with being efficient and effective in mind.

I'm in the early stages of working with a healer (started with various DPS, like it seems most people do). Because of my long time use of heavy attacks on destroy to regen magicka, I have good reflexes to support my regen.

I get that eventually I will want to be able to buff and throw shards and do Radiant Destruction ... but I'm not there yet.

I am starting to appreciate healing ritual, though.

Actually the most fun I recently had with this healer was going through a dwemer lair and having a dwemer sphere follow her out. I love to just do that when my characters get pets and then I get the fun of my buddies wanting to know "why is that critter following you?"
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis