Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What classifys as a necro exactly?

Aliyavana
Aliyavana
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Say if a thread is still relevant? how long would it take to be consider a necro if you were to post in such a thread?
  • Nirnrotten
    Nirnrotten
    ✭✭✭
    After 6 hours but before 24. The stench really becomes unbearable in this kind of heat.
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the last post was over a month ago, just start a new thread.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If a thread hasn't had a new post in at least a month or 2 it's best to let it be.

Personally I'd say at least 3 months but mods beg to differ lol
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on September 17, 2016 10:57PM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    depends on how itchy the mods are feeling..... look for the 'what do you look like' thread and make your own judgement
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mic1007 wrote: »
    If the last post was over a month ago, just start a new thread.

This
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    at least 3 months but mods beg to differ lol
    Seems pretty stupid if the thread is still relevant.

In case of my latest faux pas with a sleepy thread, it was the first to pop up when i searched the subject on here. It had a lot of good info in it and i simply added my comment about how it was still not fixed.

Yes, the original thread was from July but the issue has *NOT* been fixed, so my post was certainly relevant.
    Again, seems pretty stupid to lock that thread after my post.

How about ZOS fixes bugs instead so we don't have to reanimate older threads...
    poke.gif

• UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    at least 3 months but mods beg to differ lol
    Seems pretty stupid if the thread is still relevant.

In case of my latest faux pas with a sleepy thread, it was the first to pop up when i searched the subject on here. It had a lot of good info in it and i simply added my comment about how it was still not fixed.

Yes, the original thread was from July but the issue has *NOT* been fixed, so my post was certainly relevant.
    Again, seems pretty stupid to lock that thread after my post.

How about ZOS fixes bugs instead so we don't have to reanimate older threads...
    poke.gif

If it were that simple it'd already be done lol
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can't just fix bugs like that. They do that, and other even worse bugs might spring up. It's a long and tedious process to fix bugs correctly.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

• Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some forum engine has feature to auto lock thread that hasn't been replied for a long time to prevent necro bumping. Why don't we have that here as well?
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow wrote: »
    Some forum engine has feature to auto lock thread that hasn't been replied for a long time to prevent necro bumping. Why don't we have that here as well?

Exactly what I suggested in my thread I made about people necroing lots of threads recently!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a long and tedious process to fix bugs correctly.

My 35+ years of experience as a software developer tells me otherwise ...
    type.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on September 17, 2016 11:56PM
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

type.gif

Are you a game developer? It probably works differently.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you a game developer? It probably works differently.
    Yes, among other things spent a good 10 years in game development ...
    shades.gif
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I wouldn't really know. Could be a problem of just lacking a big enough team to fix the massive amount of bugs that come up.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

• UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

type.gif

It also depends on the bug and the game. Also 35+ years? Just how old are you lol
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

type.gif

I'm sure they'd be very grateful if you were to set them straight as to where they've been going wrong all this time.
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick any forum category and move 10 pages down. Pick any thread on that page. That thread is dead. Post in that thread. That thread moves to front page.

Now let's take a look a random forum-goer Joe. Joe sees a new thread on the front page. Joe looks at this "new" thread. Joe reads something he (dis)agrees with, so he posts about it. Joe continues reading, and finds a reference to something long ago as if it just happened. Joe thinks this is weird, so Joe looks at the date. Joe realizes he posted in a long since dead thread and gets annoyed.

But now that Joe posted in this thread, it moves back to the top of the front page, stumbling around and catching other unwitting forum-goers off guard while mumbling "brains...". The masses cry out for help, and their cries are answered by the righteous forum moderators. The moderators know what to do, and they take swift action, locking the revived thread. Everyone watches as the reanimated thread slowly falls down to the second page re-dying a slow death.

Let the dead lie. Do not use thread necromancy, for the safety of us all.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteMage wrote: »
    Pick any forum category and move 10 pages down. Pick any thread on that page. That thread is dead. Post in that thread. That thread moves to front page.

Now let's take a look a random forum-goer Joe. Joe sees a new thread on the front page. Joe looks at this "new" thread. Joe reads something he (dis)agrees with, so he posts about it. Joe continues reading, and finds a reference to something long ago as if it just happened. Joe thinks this is weird, so Joe looks at the date. Joe realizes he posted in a long since dead thread and gets annoyed.

But now that Joe posted in this thread, it moves back to the top of the front page, stumbling around and catching other unwitting forum-goers off guard while mumbling "brains...". The masses cry out for help, and their cries are answered by the righteous forum moderators. The moderators know what to do, and they take swift action, locking the revived thread. Everyone watches as the reanimated thread slowly falls down to the second page re-dying a slow death.

Let the dead lie. Do not use thread necromancy, for the safety of us all.

I am mildly disturbed that my name is in the example but I also know it is the same name used in the "average Joe" scenarios lol

Still ironic though :p
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im going to respond to this in two years to explain what counts as a necro.
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also 35+ years? Just how old are you lol
    I started programming in 1978 ...
    headbanger.gif

Tandor wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd be very grateful if you were to set them straight as to where they've been going wrong all this time.
    I tried. Actually, a lot of us closed beta testers did. There were quite a few with gaming related coding experience.
    We warned them months before launch about their trusted client implementation. They didn't listen.

I don't know if you were around for the PC launch, but many here still remember that ***.
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on September 18, 2016 2:05AM
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    It depends a lot on the content, and the location.

In a slower forum, it could be fine to bump a year-old thread providing the new post is relevant and constructive.

In a more active forum, like General Discussion, something that hasn't been active in 2-3 months is probably pushing it. Among other things, there's a good chance there are more recent threads about the same topic.

It does depend on the content. A sufficiently specific thread may be fine, particularly if there is nothing more recent, and the thread isn't outdated. Bumping a 2015 thread about class balance will probably be locked as a necro since things have changed so much on this front, and there's likely an active thread going on already. Bumping a 2015 thread discussing the lore of a specific location would likely be fine, assuming your response is on topic.

It's worth noting that thread necromancy itself isn't against the rules, although spam and disruptive posting are. So you won't get a warning unless there are other problems with your post, or you've been asked to stop this previously and ignored that instruction. We tend to lock thread necromancy because it creates clutter, particularly when the content is outdated or there are other active threads on the subject.
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on how itchy the mods are feeling..... look for the 'what do you look like' thread and make your own judgement
    You probably shouldn't judge anything by that particular thread... It started off as a silly throwaway joke and took on a life of its own lol
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Haha
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This

Such dedication.

:D:D:D
    Edited by Judas Helviaryn on September 23, 2018 8:00PM
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolute madman
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This

standing-ovation.gif
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

While the patience and determination of this bump was impressive, we're going to go ahead and close this thread. The reason being that it is no longer being constructively discussed.

Thank you for understanding!
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.