Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Writs and Outfits: a couple of suggestions

Hluill
Hluill
✭✭✭
First, let me state that I've come from MMOs that had much more fleshed-out crafting and appearance systems, and I miss them.

So, I made the mistake of thinking I could make a crafting alt. Yeah, he's always short of skill points.

When I try to do writs, the tier takes him to areas well above his level for turn in and uses materials he does not have in excess. And when he makes a new tier, the appearance is not as appealing.

So first, allow crafters to choose the tier of the writ, which of course would adjust the scale of the rewards. Writs would be a lot more accessible if I could do them in iron or steel as opposed to ebon.

Second, allow us to design outfits. Have an outfit-creation window that has slots into which we can place armor we like. We hit create and it becomes either a costume or outfit that we can wear like the already existing outfits and costumes and disguises.
Black-handed Hluill and his daughter Leyek of House Numaril.
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to choose levels of the crafting writs.
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hluill wrote: »

So, I made the mistake of thinking I could make a crafting alt. Yeah, he's always short of skill points.

You need 122 points to be fully skilled out in Crafting. Add some more for how many ever Keen Eye Passives you want. Then add another 30 or so points to make them survivable for Farming and getting to some of the Crafting Stations.

So, level your crafting character while researching traits and deconning mob loot until you get that many skill points, then you can invest them into crafting.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

You need 122 points to be fully skilled out in Crafting. Add some more for how many ever Keen Eye Passives you want. Then add another 30 or so points to make them survivable for Farming and getting to some of the Crafting Stations.

So, level your crafting character while researching traits and deconning mob loot until you get that many skill points, then you can invest them into crafting.

Yep, and I am learning how long, and many levels it takes to get one-hundred and twenty-two points, plus the points they will need to survive. In other words, making a crafting alt is a waste of time, because they will have to be an adventurer for at least thirty levels and quite a few open dungeons.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, and I am learning how long, and many levels it takes to get one-hundred and twenty-two points, plus the points they will need to survive. In other words, making a crafting alt is a waste of time, because they will have to be an adventurer for at least thirty levels and quite a few open dungeons.

Some folks prefer to split off the consumables crafting (provisioning, alchemy, enchanting), but my main character is also my crafter (in all schools) and I like it that way. If at least provisioning & alchemy are on your playing character(s) you can always make food, drink, and potions when needed during your gameplay and without an interruption to change characters and transfer the food/drink/potions.

Remember that while your main character(s) will eventually have plenty of skill points, it can be difficult to gather sufficient levels & skill points on a character designed solely around crafting.

Gradually Invest Skill Points

This plan will help keep the points from getting out of hand when skill points are difficult to get in early levels. Eventually you'll find you have plenty of points to put in all recommended or desired skills.

Provisioning would be the first place to invest points in my opinion. Spending points in Connoisseur (to extend the duration of drinks) is essential before drinking Psijic Ambrosia (the experience booster). The ability to make food at your level (Recipe Improvement) in at least blue quality (Recipe Quality 2) is significant and should be invested next. While Brewer & Chef might also be handy, they are only absolutely necessary once using perfect roe to create recipes such as Psijic Ambrosia & Orzorga's Smoked Bear Haunch as other ingredients are relatively plentiful.

On a first character, invest one rank into Keen Eye for Blacksmith, Cloth, Wood, & Alchemy as soon as possible to learn what these materials look like and to begin gathering these resources as you play. Keen Eye is not necessary for Enchanting however; all runestones glow already and do not blend into the vegetation like many other collectible materials, so once you learn to recognize them they can be easily spotted from afar.

Always invest as rapidly in possible in the skills that reduce research time and allow simultaneous trait research studies. Further invest in your blacksmith/cloth/wood skills as you level, keeping your material tier useful to your most advanced character's level.

Early on I'd skip putting points into Enchanting, focusing on leveling enchanting through deconstruction. I'd also ignore Alchemy skills for a short while -- except for the 2 skill points that help effectively learn all traits while starting to level the craft nicely.

If you follow the recommendations in Sunshine Daydream's Guide to Crafting you'll eventually invest around 100 points for a well-rounded do-it-all crafter:
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found my level 32 main is getting sent to new areas for writs, with also needing materials I've never seen yet. In fact I'm making stuff I can't even wear myself yet lol

Still, it is part of the fun exploring a brand new area and trying not to get involved in any of the areas quests
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »

Some folks prefer to split off the consumables crafting (provisioning, alchemy, enchanting), but my main character is also my crafter (in all schools) and I like it that way. If at least provisioning & alchemy are on your playing character(s) you can always make food, drink, and potions when needed during your gameplay and without an interruption to change characters and transfer the food/drink/potions.

Remember that while your main character(s) will eventually have plenty of skill points, it can be difficult to gather sufficient levels & skill points on a character designed solely around crafting.

Gradually Invest Skill Points

Yep, all good advice, too late unless I want to delete and lose all the time and resources invested.
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »
    I found my level 32 main is getting sent to new areas for writs, with also needing materials I've never seen yet. In fact I'm making stuff I can't even wear myself yet lol

Still, it is part of the fun exploring a brand new area and trying not to get involved in any of the areas quests

Oh, I've been exploring several zones several tiers above my head. It is fun. And I've had to do similar in games with even more level-centric crafting systems. My main crafter is making Hunding's Rage gear and doing writs in Bangkorai, at thirtieth level. Yep, it's an immersion-breaking pain...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My Master Crafter, 9/9, most Motifs Known, all Crafting Skills Maxed and Fully Invested is also my most effective wrecking machine. Yep, your crafter has to be an adventurer in this game, even if just for farming and craft set station access.

TBH, you don't need to do any equipment crafting before Champ Ranks. But, do take that time to get to at least 6 traits on the gear you do use and gather any motifs to that character. All the while deconning everything you get your hands on. You can always respec out your skill points into crafting later. Then, if you keep playing then as an alt to take a break from your main, you can make them just as deadly as any other character in the game, even though they are fully invested in crafting. Plus, if you did things right while leveling, your combat skills should be leveled, at least to Morph stage.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭

My Master Crafter, 9/9, most Motifs Known, all Crafting Skills Maxed and Fully Invested is also my most effective wrecking machine. Yep, your crafter has to be an adventurer in this game, even if just for farming and craft set station access.

TBH, you don't need to do any equipment crafting before Champ Ranks. But, do take that time to get to at least 6 traits on the gear you do use and gather any motifs to that character. All the while deconning everything you get your hands on. You can always respec out your skill points into crafting later. Then, if you keep playing then as an alt to take a break from your main, you can make them just as deadly as any other character in the game, even though they are fully invested in crafting. Plus, if you did things right while leveling, your combat skills should be leveled, at least to Morph stage.

Yep, I know all this. I appreciate your advice, but not sure what your point is. Maybe it's to remind me that I made a huge mistake thinking i could have an alt that concentrates on crafting. Kinda the point of my of my post. So, thanks for reminding me that I am a stubborn idiot. Really motivates me to play.

It also reminds me how frustrating it is to play MMOs that have such immature crafting systems. My character can't be a master Nightblade and a Master Dragonknight at the same time, but he can be a Master at ALL crafting. In fact, it's better to just Master all the crafting on one character, because it makes crafting EASIER. I'll remember that next time I am on the phone with Albion Swords: "Why can't your bladesmiths make sheaths too?"

Apologies, but in today's world, few people seem to realize how much skill went into to actually make something just a few hundred years ago. I know it's stupid to expect a game to bring any insight into how things are made. Yeah, I am feeling like a real genius now.