The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Inferno rework

Fvh09NL
Fvh09NL
✭✭✭
First off I'd like to say I read something similar somewhere on the forum but on that topic a lot of changes where asked for specifically magicka dk's to increase their strength. I main a magicka dk from the beginning and yes it is really hard to learn and yes it has some flaws, but in my opinion it is not as weak as the majority says it is. I also have a templar and a sorcerer at highest level and one thing I noticed is that I was really looking forward to the 5th active skill of each class specific skill line (e.g. radiant destruction, sun shield or daedric mines) because they are assumed to be really strong. The problem I have with the 5th skill of ardent flame, Inferno, is that it's not that strong compared to other ones; okay, I like the 10% crit rating and that makes it a bit better, but the fireball hits just once every 5 seconds and it isn't that strong so it doesn't do much. Why not just make it a real aura of flames that is focussed around the player and does flame damage over time instead of a fireball that doesn't do much? (This is the part I read somewhere else and I really liked the idea). What do you think?
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a lot of us want it as a flame cloak with a duration...no two bar toggles. DK's wouldn't have room for toggles in PvP

I think it would be great for PvP, and enhance the feel of the DK as a fire class. However it's done I hope it can be dropped from PvE rotations. 5 dot timers and a whip is a painful system of micromanagement. If they can rebalance our PvE dps to be the same without FOB I think that will be a big improvement to the way the class plays.
    Edited by Armitas on August 30, 2016 11:57AM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a pretty strong skill...

Just the passive of the 10% crit chance is huge. plus it does around 15k damage over 15 seconds just for pushing a button once.
    I know it seems lack luster, but its really not terrible imo.
    CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • Fvh09NL
    Fvh09NL
    ✭✭✭
    You're right that it is reasonable damage for just pushing a button but it will hit just 1 target every 5 seconds, in my opinion a 5th skill should be stronger/hit more enemies (hence the aura)
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fvh09NL wrote: »
    You're right that it is reasonable damage for just pushing a button but it will hit just 1 target every 5 seconds, in my opinion a 5th skill should be stronger/hit more enemies (hence the aura)

Yeah its boring and lack luster. Cast and forget with no more thought too it beyond "it increases our dps."
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's an ok PvE skill but there is no point to morphing it. The morphs need to be reworked completely. Or the whole skill, I don't even care as a mDK.
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • potirondb16_ESO
    potirondb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Only aspect that I don't like with inferno is that it actually cancel magelight +5% magika bonus which make me unable to get both on my back bar for more dps with this skill while keeping the magelight bonus.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flames of Oblivion could probably use a boost to its damage and should not be a toggle (on both bars). I don't take issue with its DoT being every 5s so long as the damage dealt is reasonable given the timeframe.

From a healer perspective, the functionality of Cauterize should remain exactly as it is with 2 notable changes, no more and no less:
    1. Cauterize should target the caster.
    2. Minor boost to healing (or damage, relative to its counterpart)

I say "no more and no less" because boosting the healing component of Cauterize is liable to cause pvp imbalance, though it is very far off from being comparable to burst healing skills in other class trees. Cauterize should (and don't ask me why it doesn't) target the caster. Virtually every skill in this game, including all of those (to my knowledge thus far) that specifically say "allies" will target the caster: SPC, Gossamer, Transmutation, etc...

A properly built magDK can do some serious work in pvp right now. I know, most people disagree. But most people don't play magDKs properly in pvp either. All I care to address on this subject specifically is that boosting the healing potential of Cauterize and allowing it to target the caster could tip the scales of balance in favor of magDKs. Whether or not this is good or bad for pvp is not the point of this discussion. However, in literally every pve setting I can fathom, this would be a change for the better and would speak leagues to balance. The reason I tangent on this morph (rather than FOO) is because the same is true for both morphs. MagDKs could use a boost to FOO as well (with minor implications to pvp).
    Edited by Autolycus on August 30, 2016 9:43PM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mage light is > in pvp.

Both morphs are useless, dk's seem to have a lot last tier skills or passives that are useless.

Look at the last passive in the draconic tree, spell resist... templar have a 5th tier passives that gives spell resist and weapon dmg, the dk's one is just worse. It's mean't to be a 'tanky' class it should get physical resist as well.

Spiked armour is the worst armour buff skill out of all the classes. Both morphs being useless.
    Igneous has a terrible shield.

Ash cloud is useless as well.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What stops me from using Inferno is the Fireballs. Frequently I want to go past mobs and not aggro them, or aggro them when I want to. I suppose I could toggle this on and off, but forget to do that.

I tend to use Inner Light on my Magic DK.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ash cloud is useless as well.

(remembers the good ol' days when Ash Cloud was OPAF and amazing)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a PvE standpoint, I like Ash Cloud. Not so much for the damage is does by itself, but the Snare allowing me to hammer the mobs as they crawl out of the cloud.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Inferno needs to be reworked.
    While, I'm not against making it a flame cloak spell again, I'd prefer for a ranged AoE fireball, similar to the Fireball spells of past ES games. DK in general lack (good) ranged skills and an AoE fireball would really be a nice addition for them, IMO.
    Argonian forever
  • Fvh09NL
    Fvh09NL
    ✭✭✭
    I really agree with you Autocyclus, this would be a great improvement to the healing morph and maybe an aura of flames like mentioned above would improve the dps morph making it on level with other 5th tier skills. As well that magDK can really wreck havock in pvp, you just need to invest a lot of time learning how to use the class and maybe you'll be like me and want no other class :) only inferno and it morphs are skills I would like to see a little rework with :)

As for spiked armor and ash cloud; volatile armor is fine in my opinion, hardened armor is worthless as the shield is really weak (in most cases). Ash cloud is really great in pve, both morphs, in pvp they suck but that's no problem as you have plenty skills that are better in pvp than ash cloud.
  • Fvh09NL
    Fvh09NL
    ✭✭✭
    Ow and ingeous shield is weak, but that's ok in my opinion as it's a group shield and it gives you major mending which is really really nice
  • JudahXBL
    JudahXBL
    ✭✭
    Flame Cloak that causes everyone within 8 meters of the DK to take Flame damage. 15s duration.

Morph 1: Stamina morph. Skill now does Poison damage and causes Minor Breach and Minor Defile.

Morph 2: Passively grants Major Prophecy and Minor Sorcery while slotted.

Bam, just fixed Inferno. Next!
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually liked the skill as a toggle. It just looked so cool, all the time.
  • Fvh09NL
    Fvh09NL
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't think it needs a stamina morph, Cauterize is a nice change to the normal damage skills and stamina dk does not need more love as it is (at least I think they don't). And nog, toggles really suck, if you like the look of the constant Fire ball just make sure inferno is on all the time :smiley:
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it in pve on boss fights but anyother thing its crap heal morph is god awfull a cloak makes more since since magdks are suppose to be aoe class
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inferno needs to be reworked.
    While, I'm not against making it a flame cloak spell again, I'd prefer for a ranged AoE fireball, similar to the Fireball spells of past ES games. DK in general lack (good) ranged skills and an AoE fireball would really be a nice addition for them, IMO.

I agree, a fireball that shoots 15m+ and explodes for AOE on impact would be pretty cool.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    All I care to address on this subject specifically is that boosting the healing potential of Cauterize and allowing it to target the caster could tip the scales of balance in favor of magDKs. Whether or not this is good or bad for pvp is not the point of this discussion. However, in literally every pve setting I can fathom, this would be a change for the better and would speak leagues to balance. The reason I tangent on this morph (rather than FOO) is because the same is true for both morphs. MagDKs could use a boost to FOO as well (with minor implications to pvp).

I was excited about cauterize at first, tried it out, didn't heal me and never touched it again. Such a shame. It could really have a lot of potential if it would heal us, especially if they are dead set on dragons blood remaining garbage.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • sirrmattus
    sirrmattus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Foo is the *** and a half. Leave the skill alone. If anything. I'd like to see fireball every 4 seconds and 16 seconds duration.
    Ebonheart Pact - North American Server
    - THE MORALES -
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    Autolycus wrote: »
    All I care to address on this subject specifically is that boosting the healing potential of Cauterize and allowing it to target the caster could tip the scales of balance in favor of magDKs. Whether or not this is good or bad for pvp is not the point of this discussion. However, in literally every pve setting I can fathom, this would be a change for the better and would speak leagues to balance. The reason I tangent on this morph (rather than FOO) is because the same is true for both morphs. MagDKs could use a boost to FOO as well (with minor implications to pvp).

I was excited about cauterize at first, tried it out, didn't heal me and never touched it again. Such a shame. It could really have a lot of potential if it would heal us, especially if they are dead set on dragons blood remaining garbage.

I use the skill all the time, and when it was introduced I welcomed it with open arms. It has its drawbacks, and compared to the burst heals available to every other class, it's quite weak. But it still has its moments and I've saved more people with it than I ever cared to count. Honestly, Cauterize in its current state just offers versatility. Few occasions in pve justify burst healing over springs anyway.

Its usefulness is certainly limited to an extent, but perhaps one of its better uses is for sustaining heals while rezzing, or whilst simultaneously dpsing. The latter, of course, is not really welcome in trials, but for dungeons it works just fine.