Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do people hate gankers?

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always keep that flawless dawnbreaker or dragon leap ready for the odd ganker :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my opinion it depends on how you gank. If you and your 3 max level friends hide outside a keep to kill the same low level player over and over again, then you deserve hatred. If you are alone and gank players in a similar level / experience range, then sure, why not. Most of the time when people try to gank me they fail to do so in the initial it and I get a nice fight. And if you manage to kill me with one hit, the gz, nice build.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were ganked its your fault not the ganker. He just uses your weak points, templars and DKs are like real tanks, slow but when they have time to buff up they will squish you like an egg, so you need to get them when theyre not buffed up. When I created NB I used to gank but this kind of fighting doesnt suit me well so Ive.switched back to sorc, now I play magplar and gues what? I hunt gankers, not because I hate them, because I can. Once again if you die to a ganker its because you choosed to do so. They have tools to kill you fast, you have tools to defend (Radiant Magelight, Evil Hunter, Caltroops, Scorching Flare, any AoE, shields, impenetrable, even your own stealth), if you dont use any of them yoe deserve to be ganked. Many kills my shadowy adversaries, hope we WILL SEE on a battlefield ;)

Edit:
    ...but ganking Xv1 is lame, like being 3/4 vs 1 wouldnt be enough, lets go hide and show how awesome we are -_-
    Edited by Mayrael on September 1, 2016 8:41AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarradarab wrote: »
    I mean isn't that the whole point of being an Assassin? To get in unnoticed, hit hard and kill and then sink back into the shadows as if you were never there. I'm not a ganker but ive just leveled a NB to CP rank and will be building it into a gank build for this reason.

Are you really that dense?
    Ofc that´s the whole point.

The problem about it: it is not fun for the victim because the whole point of proper ganking is to leave your opponent no chance to fight back.
    Having no chance to fight back is ok in singleplayer games - it has no place in multiplayer imo.
    Healthy pvp requires to be fun for every participant - or atleast leave the looser with a feeling that he can either improve or avoid the situation the next time.
    I´d argue getting virtually 1shot by an opponent that was invisible before he choose to murder you leaves you with none of those feelings.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only thing i hate about ganking is dying to VD, it just erks me that i died cause some other idiot didnt hold block when someone calls out bomber
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    I mean isn't that the whole point of being an Assassin? To get in unnoticed, hit hard and kill and then sink back into the shadows as if you were never there. I'm not a ganker but ive just leveled a NB to CP rank and will be building it into a gank build for this reason.

The problem about it: it is not fun for the victim because the whole point of proper ganking is to leave your opponent no chance to fight back.
    Having no chance to fight back is ok in singleplayer games - it has no place in multiplayer imo.
    Healthy pvp requires to be fun for every participant - or atleast leave the looser with a feeling that he can either improve or avoid the situation the next time.
    I´d argue getting virtually 1shot by an opponent that was invisible before he choose to murder you leaves you with none of those feelings.
    Let's face it, eso pvp wouldn't give those feelings without gankers. Stamina is king, every projectile attack is dodged, and the maluplars are irritating when they camp on top of your sewers base exit. Pvp will never be fun for everyone lol.

Oh, and to improve the whole being ganked situation: keep shields up, have inner light or better yet radiant slotted, impen/crit resistance, put points in health or use food if you need to, don't run your horse out of stam across a bridge on your way to a fight, and finally, quit checking your inventory in the middle of the sewers :lol:!
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    A larger radius is fine, but that locking out stealth BS needs to go. Seriously, think about it in terms of other classes. What would happen if there were skills that could lock out templar's breath of life, dk's wings, and sorc's shields...the forums would explode.

Something that locks other classes from using their skills... You mean like poisons that drain all your resources? Thank goodness there's nothing like that in the game. :D

And besides with BoL, wings and shields you still sit there taking damage, but cloak just takes you out of the fight if you know how to use it properly. I use mistform and invis pot to escape and it's ridiculous how effective it is, even with that loooong cooldown.
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    jhharvest wrote: »
    A larger radius is fine, but that locking out stealth BS needs to go. Seriously, think about it in terms of other classes. What would happen if there were skills that could lock out templar's breath of life, dk's wings, and sorc's shields...the forums would explode.

Something that locks other classes from using their skills... You mean like poisons that drain all your resources? Thank goodness there's nothing like that in the game. :D

And besides with BoL, wings and shields you still sit there taking damage, but cloak just takes you out of the fight if you know how to use it properly. I use mistform and invis pot to escape and it's ridiculous how effective it is, even with that loooong cooldown.
    Don't try to compare the lockout of cloak with poisons, not even close, sorry. Getting hit with poison while full on resources won't prevent you from using anything, and if you happen to already be low on a resource before the hit (let's say magicka) then If you have a pot up you can use it or do a heavy attack and have access to all of your skills...because none of them were LOCKED OUT.

Most nbs know how to use cloak properly, it's the fact that it's been broken forever + there are so many counters that cause people to not even bother. My point was not about what the abilities listed do, but rather taking the skill each class is known for and then having counters that cause a lockout for them. Just like with cloak.
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember that awful episode of Ultimate Warrior with the Spartan vs the Ninja?

Yeah, it was junk. Totally ignoring the rubbish about the Ninja (read the actual historical evidence for them, it's nothing like we like to think it is) the Ninja would have NEVER gone toe to toe with a Spartan like that.

He'd have killed him in his sleep, but you can bet the Spartan would have sent him hate tells.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's face it, eso pvp wouldn't give those feelings without gankers. Stamina is king, every projectile attack is dodged, and the maluplars are irritating when they camp on top of your sewers base exit. Pvp will never be fun for everyone lol.

Oh, and to improve the whole being ganked situation: keep shields up, have inner light or better yet radiant slotted, impen/crit resistance, put points in health or use food if you need to, don't run your horse out of stam across a bridge on your way to a fight, and finally, quit checking your inventory in the middle of the sewers :lol:!

Or just remove the ability to be permanently invisible without any cost associated to it.

Also keeping shields up and having radiant magelight - anyone who still uses those as an argument just destroys their own credibility on the matter.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or just remove the ability to be permanently invisible without any cost associated to it.

Also keeping shields up and having radiant magelight - anyone who still uses those as an argument just destroys their own credibility on the matter.

He is talking about stamina, he uses the word, he points out he's talking about stamina and you bring up an ability that is literally the only reason to play a mageblade over a stamblade, which only a magblade can spam which to be clear here stamblades would laugh at as they don't need to spam it as they use it between dodge rolls.
    Edited by CapuchinSeven on September 1, 2016 12:21PM
  • joe.smith21b14_ESO
    joe.smith21b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    KenaPKK wrote: »
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    Go about your business and gank them despite the hate. Some people would hate you no matter how you killed them.

Yeah true I guess. I get killed by gankers all the time and its never bothered me, is it slightly annoying, sure but then so is dying while in a fight an having to run back anyway. I just dont get the people you see calling them scumbags etc

What he said isn't true at all for the majority of players.

People don't like losing, sure, but most don't "hate" a player after a fair loss.

What people do hate are cheesy undeserved kills, being killed in a situation where they are unable to respond or fight back, players who actively prey on undergeared or underleveled players, or what they perceive as skilless play.

And let's be honest...ganking with a proper build is among the easier play styles in the game. There are plenty of published builds capable of one shotting 25k+ health players, not to mention bugs such as the ravage health poison one shots and Incap unbreakable ccs, so ganking successfully really just comes down to selecting weak, distracted, or afk opponents and escaping.

TLDR: gankers are generally afraid to engage in fair combat, use builds that lack counterplay and often utilize exploits, and target afk or underleveled players or those already fighting other players.

If you want respect, fight in the open.

You tell them kena
    Smiff
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the gankers I hate (well, that's not entirely true, it seems a disproportionate amount of them are full of ego and machismo or maybe they just more open in showing those traits), it's the dumb balance in this game that allows players to insta-kill with combos and cloak away at will if they fail.
    Edited by Joy_Division on September 1, 2016 12:57PM
  • joe.smith21b14_ESO
    joe.smith21b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    donJay wrote: »
    I actually do respect gankers. Only a handful of them, or less, than can pull it off.

Sure you do.
    Smiff
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do understand that play style of being a ganker. My hate comes from when people keep ganking and ganking me instead letting me do PVE content. I expected to be ganked a few times. However, If I keep a person keeps ganking every 5 secs, then a ganker will be a jerk.
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ganking is cowardly, in my personal opinion.

But it's also part of the game, so no point in complaining.
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is what several people have said here, just no chance to fight back.

Funny thing watch a ganker stream, gankers getting ganked by other gankers are pro whiners and very funny, seems like they do not like happening to them what they are doing to everyone else, I think they call that karma..LOL
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on September 1, 2016 1:19PM
  • joe.smith21b14_ESO
    joe.smith21b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people hate gankers?
    Because at global gym were better than you.
    Smiff
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is what several people have said here, just no chance to fight back.

Funny thing watch a ganker stream, gankers getting ganked by other gankers are pro whiners and very funny, seems like they do not like happening to them what they are doing to everyone else, I think they call that karma..LOL

You gotta love the 4 golded out NB streamers with a pocket Malplar HA healer just in case it twitches after the Poison injection/ambush incap combo.
  • Sludge04
    Sludge04
    ✭✭
    First time I've heard of this terminology, but I have been on the receiving end of this countless times, a few times I've managed to survive but most times it's happened to me I have been completely incapacitated and there is absolutely nothing I can do to prevent dying, can't even put my shield on. #nerfsorcerers

I got half way through the thread and started reading replacing the first letter with a W. It's a much more entertaining read.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    I do understand that play style of being a ganker. My hate comes from when people keep ganking and ganking me instead letting me do PVE content. I expected to be ganked a few times. However, If I keep a person keeps ganking every 5 secs, then a ganker will be a jerk.

I hate to do this, but Cyrodill is a PVP area.

It's fun hiding/moving and trying to do PVE stuff without being noticed... challenge! :)

Stay out of CWC.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed most people simply don't want to group on the campaigns I play on (Spell Breaker and Ebony Blade on EU PC), even after I request it in zone chat, fight alongside them for hours, deploy siege engines, heal group with vigor and even res them when they are down. They simply ignore me as if I'm not even there. I'm not a top fighter but I'm not useless either. So I really don't understand why they are so indifferent. As a consequence I mostly go alone in Cyro and IC, soloing resources and participating in sieges, but not as part of a group. So I occasionally get ganked, most times by 2-3 players waiting in stealth. If there's just one I have good chance of beating him: break free, cheap ult, vigor, execute usually saves me. Sometimes I'm in the situation of being cornered, stealthing but being unable to escape a larger group. I know I'll be caught and killed anyway but why not make some AP? So I end up attacking from stealth and killing some. Is that even considered "ganking"?
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    Everyone's reasons are going to be different. I don't hate them myself, and if they manage to finish what they started I just roll my eyes and find a better route to my objective. I shouldn't have been that far away from group, anyway. (am guild fighter)

Well if a "ganker" is hiding in between keeps and objectives and picking off stragglers of a group to thin out the numbers and or to slow them down you really can't call it ganking since they are actually contributing to the fight. Gankers are really just ash holes who are killing for AP and just to make some un-suspecting questers life mislabel who is doing nothing towards AvA and is just trying to level up or finish some quest.
  • Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gankers teach a valuable lesson to those who don't want to stay with the group or those who believe chasing that squirrel is worth it. Hurray for the gankers....now if players would just learn the lesson.

• Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some bruised egos in this thread. That's why people hate gankers; wounded pride. You see, they're awesome..and gankers didn't give them a chance to be awesome.
    I know some great gankers, and do a little myself from time to time (but I'm merely OK at it). It's not an ego thing for many, it's relaxing. You're off on your own. It's quiet. You're not lagging out at whatever Emp keep has 200 players piled up on it.
    It's a hunt.
    Sure there are idiots in all walks of life, but those that t-bag the victims are usually those that get run over whilst doing it. Hit it and disappear.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wollust wrote: »
    Because 99/100 gankers are skillless bads being carried by the Wrobel one shot meta.

^THIS.

Oh, and because they're wasting my time. I'm a templar running around with 29k HP. You can't one-shot me. Attack the guy behind me. He's got 22k HP and is a Sorc. Just leave me alone T^T
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a real question?

They hate it because they die and die, over and over again.
    Counter it, and make the ganker the target. :)
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • Daggerfall_Bones
    Daggerfall_Bones
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love ganking a few metas ago. So much AP solo'ing. It is much more difficult with the build I was using. Now I'm the gankee rather than the ganker

Can't say I hate gankers just hate getting ganked
    Bones - Dunmer DK
  • KenaPKK
    KenaPKK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KenaPKK wrote: »
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    Go about your business and gank them despite the hate. Some people would hate you no matter how you killed them.

Yeah true I guess. I get killed by gankers all the time and its never bothered me, is it slightly annoying, sure but then so is dying while in a fight an having to run back anyway. I just dont get the people you see calling them scumbags etc

What he said isn't true at all for the majority of players.

People don't like losing, sure, but most don't "hate" a player after a fair loss.

What people do hate are cheesy undeserved kills, being killed in a situation where they are unable to respond or fight back, players who actively prey on undergeared or underleveled players, or what they perceive as skilless play.

And let's be honest...ganking with a proper build is among the easier play styles in the game. There are plenty of published builds capable of one shotting 25k+ health players, not to mention bugs such as the ravage health poison one shots and Incap unbreakable ccs, so ganking successfully really just comes down to selecting weak, distracted, or afk opponents and escaping.

TLDR: gankers are generally afraid to engage in fair combat, use builds that lack counterplay and often utilize exploits, and target afk or underleveled players or those already fighting other players.

If you want respect, fight in the open.
    I agree that once one has the right set-up, ganking is quite straightforward; but there are plenty of more challenging instances where I've ganked fully aware high-ranked players in the middle of their group and got out.

Also...didn't you just post in a different thread about you and your group preying on a level 10 and laughing about killing him by only using entropy lol?

My group ran across him randomly. Hardly "preying," but spin it how you want to. My group seeks out large zergs and guild groups.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC original dueling and general PvP community guild
    Now the hub of competitive dueling and the joined PvP communities of NA and EU/PC

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some gankers I respect its a part of the game and they do it well.....others not so much when they run and hide if they find that they can't kill you in a few seconds.
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+