The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

I'm Starting to Wonder About Crit Resist...

Ch4mpTW
Ch4mpTW
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So I'm currently trying to get magicka detonation on a newly rolled alt, and I'm currently wearing 7pcs. of impenetrable gear. With 100 champion points into reducing the damage taken by crits. And like, I'm genuinely wondering if that's the smart thing to do.

Most people build on penetration, and not critical hit damage. Unless a ganker of sorts. And even then, with there being so much CC happening from things like Mass Hysteria and rearming trap — you end-up spending more time trying to break free and did yourself of snares that you end-up dying from raw damage instead. Is it truly worth having over 3k crit resistance?
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are wearing all impen on your gear, you can put minimal points into CP crit resist. Spread most of those points into physical/magic/DoT damage reduction and a few into + healing received.
  • AGrz5585
    AGrz5585
    ✭✭✭
    Since very few people use crit in pvp I don't not notice much difference in damage between one character wearing 7 impen vs one char wearing 4 impen
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    If you are wearing all impen on your gear, you can put minimal points into CP crit resist. Spread most of those points into physical/magic/DoT damage reduction and a few into + healing received.

So what would a spread be that you advise for a magicka Templar in terms of damage mitigation? This is again for dealing with a metagame built around StamDK and StamNB's everywhere in PVP.
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some suggest infused to use health enchantments on the large armor pieces. I didn't try it yet though.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kelces wrote: »
    Some suggest infused to use health enchantments on the large armor pieces. I didn't try it yet though.

That may work, but I honestly don't know. I mean as I said, I'm just doing this so I can get my magicka detonation and then I'm done with it. Until of course the next alt. Lol.
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reducing 15,4% of a player attack is better than reducing by 25% his critical bonus. It ask you exactly the same amount of point (100 in crit resist against 50 in both physical and magical resist).

WIth some calculations assuming that the multipliers apply directly :
    Enemy hit you for 1000 damage with a base multiplier (50%)
    - with 15,4 % reduction : 846 damage uncrit, 1268 damage crit
    - with 25% crit reduction : 1000 damage uncrit, 1250 damage crit -> nearly the same damage crit, far less uncrit with flat reduction.

Enemy hit you for 1000 damage with a average multiplier (75%)
    - with 15,4 % reduction : 846 damage uncrit, 1481 damage crit
    - with 25% crit reduction : 1000 damage uncrit, 1500 damage crit -> less damage bot crit and uncrit with flat reduction.

Enemy hit you for 1000 damage with a very high crit multiplier (100%, pure OS-ganker build based on hight crit rate)
    - with 15,4 % reduction : 846 damage uncrit, 1692 damage crit
    - with 25% crit reduction : 1000 damage uncrit, 1750 damage crit -> even less damage bot crit and uncrit with flat reduction.

Usually, putting 10 point in crit resistance is enough.

Edit : I highly recommend to put 120 point in the Lady (spread between physical and magical reduction, with few in dot reduction) in order to get unchained, then use shuffle after each cc-break. It highly boost your survivability. And of course, if you have max level, the reactive armor on a tanky templar is huge too.
    Edited by RoyJade on August 31, 2016 12:01AM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perma stuns every where . Time to perk up IronClad BRUH .
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way guys, I meant to say this earlier. But, that's 7pcs. (body with head and shoulders) impenetrable. With the shield being reinforced. Is that approriate for handling today's meta, or should the shield be impenetrable too?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »

That may work, but I honestly don't know. I mean as I said, I'm just doing this so I can get my magicka detonation and then I'm done with it. Until of course the next alt. Lol.

Then travel with a group and do not worry about it much. You already have the gear crafted, do your CP as you would for PvE so you can just swap gear when needed.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Impen is garbage. If you want to survive in Cyrodiil you need as much offense as possible.

To beat my dead horse ...

- crit is a 50% damage bonus
    - most people crit about 50% of the time
    - max crit resist will remove 50% of the crit

You're building your character around something that only works half the time on half the damage of the bonus half damage.

If you want to beat the meta don't be a coward about it. Strap on some damage and punch your opponents in the mouth.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Impen is garbage. If you want to survive in Cyrodiil you need as much offense as possible.

You're building your character around something that only works half the time on half the damage of the bonus half damage.

If you want to beat the meta don't be a coward about it. Strap on some damage and punch your opponents in the mouth.

I think you have the wrong definition of "coward". There is nothing cowardly about fortifying defenses.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • sluice
    sluice
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... You don't need crit resist, if your thing is to get hit by 12k Incapacitating Strikes left and right.
    PSN: sluiceqc (NA-PS4) CP: 551+
    I strictly play on Daggerfall Covenant for when it comes to PvP
    Daggerfall Covenant
    sluice - Orc Sorcerer (50)
    Anýa - Bosmer Nightblade (0..50)

Aldmeri Dominion (PvE only)
    Arýä - Altmer Sorcerer (50)
    Marksar - Breton Templar (50)
    Maksar - Bosmer Nightblade (50)
    sluice - Imperial Dragonknight (0..50) R.I.P.

Ebonheart Pact
    Can't-Heal-Stupid - Argonian Templar (0..50)

#VMATOKENSYSTEM #TRAITCHANGE
    (vMA) drop table and probability
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »

Then travel with a group and do not worry about it much. You already have the gear crafted, do your CP as you would for PvE so you can just swap gear when needed.

Well I mean, I wanna be able to be prepared per say if I just so happen to relive a variant of my Spooderman days. Lol.
  • nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Uhm that is not how impen works. If someone has 50% crit damage bonus and you have 40% crit resist then you reduce his crit bonus to 10%.

I know it is not how you would write things down mathematically but that is how it works. All percentages in this game is in reality percentage points and they all add together as points until you get a single multiplier.

A nightblade with the shadow mundus does +72 percentage points crit bonus. If there are a lot of NB gankers or archers in your vicinity then impen is incredible important.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Ive tried for a few days to run with 3,9k crit resist + 10% from cps and with 30k spell resist + 10% from elemental defender I still get hit by 6,5-7k frags crits... Same with wrecking blow but with 22k physical resist and 25% from hardy... Oh and both situations with 8% resist from restoring focus. So is it worth? Sometimes you can feel the diference but its not a game changer...
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • DKsUnite
    DKsUnite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i run virtually 0 impene. I have 6/8 pieces with sturdy. Only things that hurt alot are dots when they start to crit and stack up
    Vyr Cor | Magicka Dragonknight | DC
    Vir Cor | Stamina Dragonknight | DC

Latest Videos:
    Magicka Dragonknight: Vyr Cor | "A Dragon's Fury" | Magicka Dragonknight PvP
    Stamina Dragonknight: Vir Cor | "Heathen" | Stamina Dragonknight PvP

Youtube: CorGaming
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DKsUnite wrote: »
    i run virtually 0 impene. I have 6/8 pieces with sturdy. Only things that hurt alot are dots when they start to crit and stack up

Jep

the bigger your effective health pool is, the less need for imp to cut off the spikes.
    And while blocking, your effective health pool is huge !

And CP Thick Skinned becomes more important while blocking.
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Well Ive tried for a few days to run with 3,9k crit resist + 10% from cps and with 30k spell resist + 10% from elemental defender I still get hit by 6,5-7k frags crits... Same with wrecking blow but with 22k physical resist and 25% from hardy... Oh and both situations with 8% resist from restoring focus. So is it worth? Sometimes you can feel the diference but its not a game changer...

My frag hit for 7k on a full impen HA user with the resistance hardcap and 17% in magical reduction.
    The same frag on the same enemy without any crit resistance often hit for 11k.
    The same frag on a glasscanon (let say : a stamNB who run full divine in order to maximize his critical bonus) hit for 15-17k.
    Hardy and ele defender are more important than resistant, but impen clearly is necessary on stuff.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RoyJade wrote: »
    Mayrael wrote: »

My frag hit for 7k on a full impen HA user with the resistance hardcap and 17% in magical reduction.
    The same frag on the same enemy without any crit resistance often hit for 11k.
    The same frag on a glasscanon (let say : a stamNB who run full divine in order to maximize his critical bonus) hit for 15-17k.
    Hardy and ele defender are more important than resistant, but impen clearly is necessary on stuff.

Yeah youre right without any doubts, what I say is that runing impen arround 2k is enough for most scenarios as through tests I cant see big difference between 2k and almost twice as much impen (i know cap is 3300 but with buffs to crit damage it can be useful like with armor caps and major breach).
    Edited by Mayrael on August 31, 2016 10:47AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a 6 or 7 purple to gold impen (1320 for 6 purple to 1750for seven gold) + ten champion point in cp resist is enough, more is a waste comparing to the huge benefit the flat resistance and the rapid regen gives. Running at hardcap is also really good, when you look at the HA bonus on regens and damage now.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Uhm that is not how impen works. If someone has 50% crit damage bonus and you have 40% crit resist then you reduce his crit bonus to 10%.

I know it is not how you would write things down mathematically but that is how it works. All percentages in this game is in reality percentage points and they all add together as points until you get a single multiplier..

Thanks for the correction. Impen still stinks.

Sure there are plenty of times where it can be useful, and yes, it will save you from being killed on occasion. You're still going to die to the second or third hit though, and it doesn't work 100% of the time like divines or infused.

Have all the Impen you want ... if I hit you with an ice comet, and a radiant oppression you're still going to die 4 times out of 5. And if you're one of the lucky ones that don't, I'll just hit the button again.
  • Glamdring
    Glamdring
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it is not how you would write things down mathematically but that is how it works. All percentages in this game is in reality percentage points and they all add together as points until you get a single multiplier..

Sure there are plenty of times where it can be useful, and yes, it will save you from being killed on occasion. You're still going to die to the second or third hit though, and it doesn't work 100% of the time like divines or infused.

Have all the Impen you want ... if I hit you with an ice comet, and a radiant oppression you're still going to die 4 times out of 5. And if you're one of the lucky ones that don't, I'll just hit the button again.

Lol no, i hardly get hit for more than 3k by ice comet. Good luck trying to get me down with Radiant after that.
  • SwaminoNowlino
    SwaminoNowlino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glamdring wrote: »

Lol no, i hardly get hit for more than 3k by ice comet. Good luck trying to get me down with Radiant after that.

What you're missing is the fact that he and his 7 templar buddies will all be spamming radiant destruction on you when they're not block casting breath of life. Like there's ever only a single radiant spammer. #Balance
    Xbox NA : CP 160 StamPlar, MagNB, MagSorc, StamSorc, StamDK, StamNB, Level 10 MagDK & MagPlar, StamWarden, MagWarden

"We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome." - The Balance Lord Wrobel
    - And now it sure does, better learn how to bash folks!

I get by with a little help from logic.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Then trust me on this one man. You're one of the lucky ones. It works almost every single time.

Side note, I'm also smart enough not to do this to the tank in the front. The 5 guys behind you ... yeah .,. that's the target.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on August 31, 2016 12:11PM
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The difference between someone who block or mist the meteor and people who take the full hit :p
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    RoyJade wrote: »

The difference between someone who block or mist the meteor and people who take the full hit :p

Completely accurate. The number of people who just stand in dumb is higher than this board gives credit for. Also, in a Zerg on Zerg situation just be like Rocky and hit the one in the middle. Usually that ends up with people not only not blocking but also just hanging out in the AOE. Throw in some vicious death and the bodies pile up quickly.
  • Zerok
    Zerok
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see no reason to run more than 4 impenetrable pieces (on the small ones).

It seems a waste to have impenetrable on the larges pieces when you could have reinforced on the chest (heavy) and infused on the head and legs.
    Zeerok (the sneaky ruffian) - LV50 Bosmer stamblade DPS (AD)
    Gontrand de Bourbon (the greedy aristocrat) - LV50 Breton magsorc tank (DC)
    Augustus Aquilarios (the imperial claimant) - LV50 Imperial stamDK PvP (EP)
    Zeerokk (the AD zealot) - LV50 Altmer magblade PvP (AD)
    Lianna Storm (the inferno maiden) - LV50 Dunmer magDK DPS (EP)
    Fights-With-Khajiit (the gullible faithful) - LV5 Argonian templar (EP)
    Miner'va (the skooma addict) - LV3 Khajiit sorcerer (AD) - chaotic neutral
    Siggy Thorvaldsson (the charismatic baroness) - LV50 Nord stamwarden tank (DC)