The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

My character looking comically sad after latest patch

• Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it's all Frown Town on my Redguard when she is smithing. Sometimes at the bank as well, seems 50/50 there.
    The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    My dragonknight has gotten the super angry face too haha, pretty great if you pair it with the furious personality!

Faar%2Bangry.jpg

LOL and I thought my character was looking mean, but this one is really rocking :) Why I get the impression that ZOS is mocking us ? :p
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Glamdring
    Glamdring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ListerJMC thanks for the best laugh i had for a long time :)
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This thread is awesome.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mandragora wrote: »
    My dragonknight has gotten the super angry face too haha, pretty great if you pair it with the furious personality!

Faar%2Bangry.jpg

LOL and I thought my character was looking mean, but this one is really rocking :) Why I get the impression that ZOS is mocking us ? :p

Hahaha yeah she definitely got out of the wrong side of the bed that morning!
    Glamdring wrote: »
    @ListerJMC thanks for the best laugh i had for a long time :)

No problem, I'm getting a laugh out of all these expression bugs I had to share that one! I have a lot of screenshots this bug is hilarious :D.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Ylmir
    Ylmir
    There's something I love about this bug. It actually gives a lot more possibilities by combining emotes.

By the way, here are some pictures of my grumpy cat.

Oh, and yeah. He hates water. And probably everything else.
    Edited by Ylmir on August 11, 2016 4:13PM
    1.jpg 98.8K
    3.jpg 68.2K
    4.jpg 110.6K
    5.jpg 53.1K
    PC EU player, CP500+
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Faar%2Bangry.jpg

This made me cry, I laughed so hard. She looks madder than a racist Altmer who has just seen a Khajiit or Bosmer walk by.
  • E-Zekiel
    E-Zekiel
    ✭✭✭
    E-Zekiel wrote: »
    You guys realize that the personalities come with facial expressions right?

Anyway, there is a bug that is causing emotes (whether you do a /emote, or your character uses like a smithing bench) to make your faces stick. So far, toggling personalities on and off resets to neutral for me.

I had to point out the personality thing though because someone posted an angry face with the furious personality.

Yeah....That's part of the personality.......

I don't have any personalities, I bought the Dark Brotherhood DLC, but haven't collected that personality either. And yet my character is grumpy whilst smithing, and maybe other times, but she's hidden by her helmet.

mxKe6kv.png

Please actually read my post. I put the relevant part in bold in the quote here, but you will have to expand it to see it.

Smithing always has made your face angry. The difference is that the expression sticks once done smithing. This bug has occurred once before.
    It shouldn't be random. It should be if you're taking actions. I know for a fact that crafting will change your facial expression. Pretty much anything that makes you do an action or animation that comes with a facial expression will make it get stuck until you toggle on/off a personality.

Edited by E-Zekiel on August 12, 2016 9:25PM
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys realize that the personalities come with facial expressions right?

Anyway, there is a bug that is causing emotes (whether you do a /emote, or your character uses like a smithing bench) to make your faces stick. So far, toggling personalities on and off resets to neutral for me.

I had to point out the personality thing though because someone posted an angry face with the furious personality.

Yeah....That's part of the personality.......

Oh that was me! But if you toggle the furious personality on you'll see that the face I posted is not the one that comes with the personality.

She randomly became angry as I was playing and I tried to replicate it, and figured out that the /angry emote does the same expression. I then thought it'd be funny to have the furious personality toggled on before typing /angry to get that emote stuck and make the furious personality more intense.

Edit: Ohhh I just sat around watching the furious personality for a bit and that expression does happen in that personality's rotation while it's toggled on! Now I'm starting to wonder if it's a bug with personality expressions not toggling off properly since I'm getting them when I have no personalities active...
    Edited by ListerJMC on August 13, 2016 4:09AM
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay so this is everything I've figured out, though a lot of this has already been mentioned in this thread.

As far as I can tell only the blacksmithing station gives you the :angry: expression; I had no issues with any other crafting station. Dismounting or toggling a personality on and off fixes it.

Mounting, or being mounted and riding through enemy mobs, may leave your character with the :o face - dismounting usually fixes it but sometimes you get stuck like that for a little while. I ran through several mobs unmounted and couldn't trigger it, so I believe it's just a mount thing.

Using an emote which changes your characters' expression (such as /cower and /angry) will leave your expression stuck like that. It can be fixed by toggling a personality on or off or mounting on and off - but the latter may leave you with :o.

There's a :smiley: face that only one of my characters has gotten a few times, this image was taken while questing but I remember it's also happened after the completion of a trial once because a guildie pointed it out to me. This bug was actually happening before this patch, because as you can see my lovely Mages Guild robes don't have floating shoulders that clip though my hair (I'll never forget the good times I had with this robe before the patch!):

What%2Bis%2Bthis%2Bexpression.jpg

I was thinking maybe it was just the mounted expression bug, since the trial was Aetherian Archive which I mounted during and I ride between quest-givers, but it's not quite the same expression:

Ceremo%2BMounted.jpg

:), :rage:, and :( I'm now thinking might be personalities occasionally continuing to work randomly after being toggled off; since I've since discovered all the emotions my characters have randomly displayed feature in the new personalities which I have used on all of them. The only exception is the :smiley: face, but that was happening before this patch. Someone here said they got :rage: after race changing though, which I can't test because I never used that service.

Some NPCs seem to be stuck with :) faces; haven't seen any :( or :rage: NPCs yet.

That's about it. I should note that in the 3 hours I've played today none of my characters have done any weird expressions and I've been fiddling around with personalities and emotes a lot to try and work this out.
  • Ylmir
    Ylmir
    To me, it looked like any change in the expression/face of the character stayed after the emote was finished, if the emote used changed the character's expression. I tried with a khajiit using the DB personality, and a redguard using the one from Shadows Of The Hist - still have to try without using any personality.

Example - using /celebrate after using /cry :
    5cc806bc9cff6eff46bf734d907cec.jpg

By the way, while this is, for now, a bug, it might be fun to add some commands to change the character's expression, something that could be compatible with other emotes, to give more freedom to the player - expressions that would work a bit like this bug does, but toggled by different commands than the standard emotes, something like /sadface, /neutralface... I don't know if a lot of people would actually use it though. Roleplayers, probably.

Edit : With no personality activated, this still happens.
    Edited by Ylmir on August 14, 2016 2:47PM
    PC EU player, CP500+
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just our characters.

1g7fDR0.png

Oh, yeah this was on Xbox. When I searched for this thread I didn't notice it's in the PC Tech Support section. lol
    Edited by ArchMikem on August 19, 2016 10:40PM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi!

[SNIP] Still an issue on PC. I sent a cosmetic bug ticket in game ... that's all for now.

[Edited to remove bump]
    Edited by ZOS_JohanaB on August 24, 2016 12:34PM
  • wolfydog
    wolfydog
    ✭✭✭
    I find when this happens to me if I go on a mount it fixes it. I have friends in game it happens to also, usually pretty funny when noticed.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is great. Please keep.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm the only one with this issue, I've talked to about 30 players and more than half have this happening to them.

I'm certain this only started after I used the style parlour on my main character. I've attached a screenshot to show what I mean and it really is a weird effect

Since the latest DLC every time any of my characters uses the equipment crafting tables their mouth gets permanently turned down at the edges making them look utterly miserable, the only way to fix this is to toggle any personality on and off. This is now happening all the time to all 4 of my alts, even those that never used the style parlour and its getting REALLY irritating, please, please is their anyway to fix this other than using the personalities because I don't really like any of them :(

I've tried, repairing the game and swapping Equipment/colours/hairstyles etc., only the personalities seem to make the issue go away.

P.S any chance of a mage personality, obsessed with wine and books in the middle of a dungeon would be good :)

Looks like gravity has won.
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • Mattock_Romulus
    Mattock_Romulus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mounting, or being mounted ..... may leave your character with the :open_mouth: face... :

Let's keep this clean people. ..

• ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mounting, or being mounted ..... may leave your character with the :open_mouth: face... :

Hey, that was out of context! :anguished:

I should probably add to the original post though that I have come across NPCs with bizarre facial expressions that I didn't list - confused, shocked, and super angry. I haven't been using personalities and haven't had any expression bugs on my own characters besides purposefully glitching emotes for my own amusement.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I see this problem has been reported.

Yes, Blacksmithing will make your character pout. So will some of the dye stations.

Firstly, this is Varleh normally.....not terribly cheerful to begin with. She's a Dunmer after all.

New%20Verayana_zpsb5eoyuz0.png
    During%20Story%20Quest_zpsp5wzxz2f.png

Then she appeared to grow even more sour when she went to the smithing station.....

Blacksmith%20Station_zps0twyxhjc.png

And this mood persisted when she left......

After%20Blacksmithing_zps3kkiv0yi.png

I then engaged and left the Crown Store and she was back to normal. Seems she likes to shop....

Back%20to%20Normal_zpsp26sd0oa.png

Yes, I reported it using /bug opting for including screen shots for before and after.

Finally, I may take a light tone with this but my mood is worse than my characters.

You see, I don't want to confess just how much F*CKING MONEY I spent on character change tokens to get the appearance of my characters just the way I want them. And then to have the game whimsically change them on me makes me.....displeased.

Although I'm not about to become one of those loons ranting for refunds, I think it's reasonable to request high priority attention. Yes, it's cosmetic.....only the most lucrative business in free to play games. Break that and you break your business.

Thank you.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, that was out of context! :anguished:

I should probably add to the original post though that I have come across NPCs with bizarre facial expressions that I didn't list - confused, shocked, and super angry. I haven't been using personalities and haven't had any expression bugs on my own characters besides purposefully glitching emotes for my own amusement.

Yes there's a whole lot of uncanny valley going on with NPC facial expressions lately as well. Some are, however, intended, such as those weird smiles they've added to many of the NPC interaction dialogs. They look....bizarre, alas.

Plus, when last in Elden Root, it was as if a horrid mood had descended upon most NPCs. Mass pouting....odd.
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bug is still happening (PC), scary smiley face and ultimate grumpy face is still appearing on my character :D
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Verbalinkontinenz
    Verbalinkontinenz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    97b1525a-74313722.jpg

oopps...sry wrong pic....
    99f4e353-74333290.jpg

damn....wrong again....
    6ad54704-74205817.jpg

ok still not right one...
    got it....

4295917f-74313718.jpg

as if zos ever managed the mimics. but i am fine with that...could be worse, i have something to laugh at least.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! We're working on fixing this so your character is less :angry: and more :smile:

@ZOS_GinaBruno .. any update on a fix for this, out of curiousity?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • JKith
    JKith
    ✭✭✭
    My character has a super sad and angry face... always wondered why!?.. such a funny thread this is...

But seriously...is there a fix?
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, just spotted this expression on an NPC :

She looks a little ill
    J9XJ9Lm.png

Here she just looks unimpressed
    Qh6BxwJ.png

I'm all for more facial expressions! Especially these on NPCs. Buuuut, you might still want to turn the happy/unhappy expressions down a notch on our characters :D
    And an NPC sporting a Joker smile whilst giving you bad or horrid news is kinda creepy, unless of course that is the intended effect! ;)
    Edited by Saoirse_Siobhan on September 24, 2016 11:31AM
    PC/EU DC
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still getting this bug too. It hasn't randomly happened to any of my characters without using an emote or blacksmithing station beforehand though so that issue, at least for me, seems to have been resolved (though I haven't really been using personalities much apart from walking around drunkenly, so still wondering if it had something to do with those). As for NPCs...

Naryu Virian got her expression stuck like this while I was talking to her:
    mkG7PEsXSKcJS21Uv93e0YJb4guq0o6t2gZkd3SjR_aFcfO468C49EUmpzVXuNMAE_dPI17GJA=w1080-h608-rw-no

Rala got stuck with the extreme angry face (which I think was actually very fitting for the situation):
    Angry%2BRala.jpg

Lastly we have confused Velsa:
    Confused%2BVelsa.jpg

It's funny but really out of place sometimes!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    This should be fixed when we release the next update (One Tamriel). No more frowny faces!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Birdovic
    Birdovic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still getting this bug too. It hasn't randomly happened to any of my characters without using an emote or blacksmithing station beforehand though so that issue, at least for me, seems to have been resolved (though I haven't really been using personalities much apart from walking around drunkenly, so still wondering if it had something to do with those). As for NPCs...

Naryu Virian got her expression stuck like this while I was talking to her:
    mkG7PEsXSKcJS21Uv93e0YJb4guq0o6t2gZkd3SjR_aFcfO468C49EUmpzVXuNMAE_dPI17GJA=w1080-h608-rw-no

It's funny but really out of place sometimes!

Oh my! Remember the guards or Shop Owners in TES Oblivion? When they caught you sneaking around and said you should leave?
    They had EXACTLY that expression and followed you around the house not changing it! :lol:
    Edited by Birdovic on September 25, 2016 8:35PM
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should be fixed when we release the next update (One Tamriel). No more frowny faces!

Oh, thank goodness. It was irritating at first, then it got funny for a short while, but then it got old real fast. Really happy about this fix!
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle