Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Alchemy Hireling

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love if snake blood actually afforded some poison resistance like other TES games.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snakeblood actually have uses in combat, if you cannot find a use for it, don't take it from other players that can.

Keep Snakeblood, add an hireling if needed. Just pleae don't remove Snakeblood.

#Snakeblood forever.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Rename tripots - yes.

Make craftable potions have green, blue and purple colours depending on strength/quality/number of effects - yes.

Alchemy hireling instead of snakeblood (but please don't make it deliver poison ingredients) - yes.

And also, could we please get the crafter's name on potions/poisons and foods/drinks, just like it is already shown on gear and enchants? No reason those alchemists and provisioners should feel left out.

I think on gear the name is shown that you can distinguish own gear from other ones - own gear gives nearly no inspiration from deconstruction whereas gear from others gives a whole lot more.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arciris wrote: »
    Snakeblood actually have uses in combat, if you cannot find a use for it, don't take it from other players that can.

Keep Snakeblood, add an hireling if needed. Just pleae don't remove Snakeblood.

#Snakeblood forever.

Of course it is useful - some weird potions have quite good beneficial effects and the negatives ones reduced is then somewhat acceptable, because the beneficial effect outweights the disadvantages.
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Lysette for the support. Snakeblood needs to stay :)
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Refuse2GrowUp

The PC NA prices for lady smock and the others, except columbine, dont come close to what you are describing.
    And when comparing say ruby leather to ingredients, keep in mind that while yes potions are consumakles it takes hundreds of ruby leather (not scraps) to make one piece of cp160 gear while only 2-3 (different) pieces makes 4 potions.

But lets say your observations are sound and that alchemy ingredients are a separate thing and are more highly valued and for good reason etc... than other craftables.

That is not a reason to give them a hireling "just like the other mats get."

its the exact opposite.

While i believe the hireling for alchemy is a non-starter in all likelihood, i am certain that the idea should wait until after one tamriel which will have a profound shift in the craftables and the "economy" of all of them - though less for alchemy. i think the change will be good, except for those trying to get lotsa profit off selling mats to mid-tier players.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (...)

While I agree with your suggestions, like I already mentioned, I wanted to comment on your last post.

You say you spend all your time doing hardcore raids, or PvP, and then you lament the costs of potions and alchemy ingredients.

First of all, using expensive endgame potions 24/7 (or close to it) is a choice you make. If you're competing for leaderboards or PvP or whatever, expect it to have economic costs. That is, after all, why you get the best rewards of the game.

That is also another thing, doing what you like, you'll end up with a rather large amount of endgame best in slot gear that can now be sold for 300-500k a piece, like golden jewellery or some of the current trial gear, the rewards from PvP can also be sold for a lot if you're having luck on your drops.
    For someone who doesn't get invited to hardcore trials, but instead spends their time picking flowers and harvesting material nodes, I do what I like, and I happen to be able to profit off of it, though in no circumstance am I able to profit as much as you selling off one of your spare gold rings for 400k.

This is why I have a hard time feeling sorry for guys with 10+ characters who live in vet trials or PvP, your rewards and spoils are much larger than we who spend a lot of time gathering and collecting, and I really see no problem with you having to cash out for buying my potions or ruby mats, that I've spent just as much time on collecting and making, as you have spent in vet SO killing snakes.

As I have said elsewhere, if people want to be self sufficient with their consumables and crafting materials, there's a whole world of them out there, so feel free to spend the time and effort required to get them yourself, if you're unhappy with paying the current prices for them.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a good idea to not pour out the baby with the water - we have to wait for One Tamriel and see, how this effects the situation on the market and than evaluate again. I am for example curious, if the new system will lead to a shortage in the materials harvest, which is based on levels - half will be level-based the other based on crafting-skill - so if my crafting skills are greater than my actual player level, I will find just half as many materials for my level than before. And then I wonder, will I find materials which are lower than my levels as well or is that totally gone then?
    Edited by Lysette on August 8, 2016 1:57PM
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy. Hireling. Now!
  • frethopper
    frethopper
    ✭✭✭
    This is of course a great idea.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    I think it is a good idea to not pour out the baby with the water - we have to wait for One Tamriel and see, how this effects the situation on the market and than evaluate again. I am for example curious, if the new system will lead to a shortage in the materials harvest, which is based on levels - half will be level-based the other based on crafting-skill - so if my crafting skills are greater than my actual player level, I will find just half as many materials for my level than before. And then I wonder, will I find materials which are lower than my levels as well or is that totally gone then?

As i understand based on current scaled nodes - half will be set to your character level, the other half to the character's skill in the crafting as far as the "levelling pieces" go.

Given that any specific zone is not tied to the level of character going thru it anymore (no longer a per character linear advance after 50 you can pattern nodes to match) this should serve the current progression and one tamriel better, IMO, though different.

i als expect we will see some sort of shift in the way levels and mats are handled to cover the odd cases.

With Runestones, it was selling potencies in the stores. So potency scaling was never a blockade you couldn't beat - never a roadblock. Also they loosened the potency rules to allow use beyond a small level window.

My bet is we will see something like that or maybe a "use higher level mats on lower level crafting" which would make "i only got ruby ash not beech" no longer such a burden some people seem to think it is.

Either way the markets on mats changed greatly when the vet progression was tossed and the champion jump at 50 went into effect. the demands shifted greatly. They will again after tamriel.

I agree that any major change before then is premature - why "fix or break" a market that wont exist soon in its current form?

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I really wonder is if I should keep a character at level 10 to be able to get iron ore. There are tons of new players, the starter areas are crowded and like it often is, there are enough among those, who are too lazy to farm themselves and they are willing to pay for lower level stuff like iron and jute and sanded maple rather well compared to that it is nearly no effort to farm this. In the case that my characters will in future always get their level material, this would mean once all my characters are above a certain level, I would no longer be able to farm these lower level materials - it would be good to know, how this will actually work with One Tamriel.
    Edited by Lysette on August 8, 2016 4:06PM
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    What I really wonder is if I should keep a character at level 10 to be able to get iron ore. There are tons of new players, the starter areas are crowded and like it often is, there are enough among those, who are too lazy to farm themselves and they are willing to pay for lower level stuff like iron and jute and sanded maple rather well compared to that it is nearly no effort to farm this. In the case that my characters will in future always get their level material, this would mean once all my characters are above a certain level, I would no longer be able to farm these lower level materials - it would be good to know, how this will actually work with One Tamriel.

unless all your characters have raised smithing then you will have plenty of iron ore. A character at any level with nothing in smithing will find 50% of the ore nodes are iron and 50% at his level/cp. (the way it works now.) So its not iron that will be the issues but maybe beech and the like.

However, this will change the play not break it. Again, if they do like they did with runestones, they may well allow some expansion of use of different level mats and/or buying the levlling stuff from stores for the mid-low level stuff.

but the gain is every character can get stuff he can use anywhere and a whole lot of the terrain wont be wasted nodes for his own use.

Zone locked nodes do not make sense in a scaled zone and cp account jump progression scheme for the vast majority of use cases.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree with the naming/colours suggestion. I posted this in a thread a while back; everything here is still valid.
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Crafted potions should definitely be green. The reagents are all green, after all.
    I suggested in another thread that it would be nice if potion names would be different for potions with multiple effects.

Like __ of Health can be just a healing potion or one that restores health/magicka and stanima, making it so you have to hover over to see which is which.
    The strange thing is, this already exists to some extent. Some multi-effect potions exist in the data files, and they have different names. But these don't usually exist in-game (most bought/dropped pots are single-effect), and the names don't transfer to crafted pots. Even some of the colours are different.
    • Health, Armor, Spell Resist: __ of Defense (not actually a possible combination, red)
    • Health, Magicka, Stamina: __ of Rejuvenation (standard resto tri-pot, orange)
    • Magicka, Spell Power, Weapon Crit: __ of Spell Blade (not actually a possible combination, yellow)
    • Magicka, Spell Power, Spell Crit: __ of Spell Weaving (standard magicka tri-pot, blue)
    • Stamina, Weapon Power, Weapon Crit: __ of Strength (standard stamina tri-pot, green)

have they ever mentioned why alchemy is the only one without a hireling ?
    Yeah, they have. I think it was something to do with the fact that Alchemy is the only profession where you can find all necessary reagents in every zone, or something.
    Edited by Enodoc on August 9, 2016 9:36AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any reason to not color a Potion by how many effects it has. Problem with that though is what qualifies it as Legendary? I think colored potions would be better implemented to indicate quality and potency. A long time ago I posted a concept where each Potion made has a random chance of being a better quality than normal. I think this would work best at this point:

50% of the time: Green
    30% of the time: Blue
    15% of the time: Purple
      5% of the time: Gold

Only dropped Potions and Poisons would be White. Also as for turning in bi/tri-pots for Writs I think being able to lock Potions would suffice, or at least prioritize single-effect Potions for Writs. What I did to work-around this though was make enough Potions to do writs for at least a few years and THEN make my tri-pot because the Writs take the oldest Potions first.

As for Snakeblood, agreed. Any good Alchemist would NEVER make a Potion with a negative effect, and Potions with negative effects never drop. It needs to either be replaced or given a new purpose that is actually USEFUL. Perhaps have it make Poisons you use stronger? Might actually encourage using Poisons over Enchantments.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on August 9, 2016 10:00PM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any reason to not color a Potion by how many effects it has. Problem with that though is what qualifies it as Legendary?
    There simply wouldn't be any Legendary potions. Singles would be green, bi-pots would be blue, and tri-pots would be purple. Unless it was decided that a tri-pot with a triple match would be Legendary. Then you could distinguish between a tri-pot with three doubles and a tri-pot with two doubles and a triple. But then you would have inconsistency with single and bi-pots which have triple matches...
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp