Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Training Gear - Grown out of too quickly?

• carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    Frawr wrote: »
    Doing writs to level up? You could also kill a load of mobs with your main, loot the higher level gear and decon it on your low level crafter alts.
    This gives nice xp.

Writs seemed to have a dual purpose of pumping in trait experience for alts and gaining some decent money. A writ can get my low level characters about 200+ gold while the any quests they complete (at level 10 or so) will likely be less that 100 gold. A writ or too will cover the cost of a days training of a horse. I think it would take a lot longer trying to raise that money fighting enemies as often they don't even drop gold much at the lower levels.

However the writ approach may have served its purpose and I could try something different. Refining raw materials however does offer the possibility of gaining trait stones but then so does deconstructing potentially.

I may do better getting materials from deconstruction than trying to harvest it directly. Still I need to find mobs that are good at dropping gear to deconstruct. Did I hear zombies can be quite good for this?

My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • Frawr
    Frawr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    carljokl wrote: »
    Doing writs to level up? You could also kill a load of mobs with your main, loot the higher level gear and decon it on your low level crafter alts.
    This gives nice xp.

Writs seemed to have a dual purpose of pumping in trait experience for alts and gaining some decent money. A writ can get my low level characters about 200+ gold while the any quests they complete (at level 10 or so) will likely be less that 100 gold. A writ or too will cover the cost of a days training of a horse. I think it would take a lot longer trying to raise that money fighting enemies as often they don't even drop gold much at the lower levels.

However the writ approach may have served its purpose and I could try something different. Refining raw materials however does offer the possibility of gaining trait stones but then so does deconstructing potentially.

I may do better getting materials from deconstruction than trying to harvest it directly. Still I need to find mobs that are good at dropping gear to deconstruct. Did I hear zombies can be quite good for this?

Most mobs drop some sort of item for deconstruction. The value of these items rises as the level rises. Also you get higher xp for decon ing green/blue/purple drops in that order.

You could sell the whites for gold and decon the blues/greens etc
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    These daily writ churns are killing me. Trying desperately to find enough hickory to finish a writ while eating my breakfast. Who would have though it would be so hard to find wood...in the middle of a desert...*sigh*....I managed enough to create a couple more staffs but still 6 left to go.

Trying to do writs for too many alts at once. I may do better to focus on levelling up one alt. Still trying to figure out the optimum way to invest time for the best overall results. Progress hits walls due to lack of skill points or running out of raw materials.

This gives nice xp.

Also, why use regen not damage? Because at low level the dps sets don't have a dramatic effect on damage and you out level them quickly. It might give small boost but still same number of attacks to kill a mob with or without the set.

Regen helps all the way up without even changing the gear.

not when you are grinding battle leveled zones, like rkindaleft, where i actually spent most of my time, trust me, they die faster then you can use the regen.
  • Frawr
    Frawr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These daily writ churns are killing me. Trying desperately to find enough hickory to finish a writ while eating my breakfast. Who would have though it would be so hard to find wood...in the middle of a desert...*sigh*....I managed enough to create a couple more staffs but still 6 left to go.

Trying to do writs for too many alts at once. I may do better to focus on levelling up one alt. Still trying to figure out the optimum way to invest time for the best overall results. Progress hits walls due to lack of skill points or running out of raw materials.

This gives nice xp.

Also, why use regen not damage? Because at low level the dps sets don't have a dramatic effect on damage and you out level them quickly. It might give small boost but still same number of attacks to kill a mob with or without the set.

not when you are grinding battle leveled zones, like rkindaleft, where i actually spent most of my time, trust me, they die faster then you can use the regen.

This gives nice xp.

Ok so spin to win is, in my experience, equally effective on mobs with or without hundings, however, I have less downtime when using regen compared to buffing damage (because the damage on the weapons themselves is sufficient for the task).

That said, I haven't ever bothered levelling in rkindaleft as I always found the zombies to drop sufficiently quickly. Perhaps weapon damage is better in scaled zones.

I still value regen highly for the reduced downtime
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This gives nice xp.

This gives nice xp.

Ok so spin to win is, in my experience, equally effective on mobs with or without hundings, however, I have less downtime when using regen compared to buffing damage (because the damage on the weapons themselves is sufficient for the task).

That said, I haven't ever bothered levelling in rkindaleft as I always found the zombies to drop sufficiently quickly. Perhaps weapon damage is better in scaled zones.

I still value regen highly for the reduced downtime

For my stam toons, I use two hander with bow and use cleave--}brawler, the survivability is unmatched. Lay down endless hail and use ultra when you can and things die faster and you survive easily. Regen is a none issue because there is a ton of time in between pulls and a lot of the time you are waiting for the mobs to respawn.
  • xX_NachtJager_xx
    xX_NachtJager_xx
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, my alt is at lvl 20 and he is still wearing lvl 10 gear. I have no problems. But you do want to keep your weapon upgraded to your current level. And you should normally be able to find one in the world fairly easily. Either from quests or exploration
    CP460 Magsorc, Stamblade, Templar Healer, DK Tank. AKA the drunken nord
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, my alt is at lvl 20 and he is still wearing lvl 10 gear. I have no problems. But you do want to keep your weapon upgraded to your current level. And you should normally be able to find one in the world fairly easily. Either from quests or exploration

That's all nice and dandy if you don't wear crafted set armor. I refuse to venture out without craft set armor and weapons tend to make the final '5pc bonus'... allowing for another set to get the '3pc bonus'. But then again, I'm the type where I don't want to struggle, I don't want challenge, and thoroughly enjoy facerolling every enemy I come across. ;)
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    Eventually finally found some emeralds in a Guild Store. I got 50 for 100gp. If I can do that consistently then I can be a lot more liberal with creating training armour. Searching for things in guilds is a pain. I wish I could easily search across multiple guilds to find things I am after. It would at least help if I could save my search to easily search for the same things as I go from guild store to guild store. I know searching across multiple stores would defeat the whole mechanism of competing for guild store venues to do business so I know why I can't have it. I am busy researching out the training trait across all the armour types I can.

It would be easier if I could make friends with a crafter and I could give them the materials to craft each item with the trait I need to research. It would also be nice one day to pass on my unneeded training gear so someone else could use it. I know I could always sell it in a guild store but there would be a nice feeling to helping a friend directly.

This makes me think of how I seem to be failing at a key aspect of this MMO. It seems like I am playing it as thought it might as well be a single player game. I haven't yet made any meaningful friends who I have done things with repeatedly. My only real life friend I know who plays ESO plays on the PC so can't interact with me on the PS4. However social stuff is another topic.

Hit CP 100 and finally got around to finishing the main quest over the weekend.
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    It can be interesting to see how much variation there is in the price of items. First I am lucky finding 50 emeralds for 100 gold. Last night around Elden Root there were emeralds going for a bout 1000 gold each. 25 for 25K. So whats that 2 gold each vs 1000 or 50,000%. Tricky to gage what a fair going rate it when prices vary that much.

Otherwise things seem to be coming along filling all the gaps in gear for which I have researched the training trait. It would still probably be cheaper working with someone else and crafting gear to exchange with the traits that are missing. I am going to try and make friends with some crafters.
    My Characters