Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Dissapointed in Face Changing

Dameon
Dameon
I was utterly dissapointed to what Zenimax had done using crowns to buy a token from the crown store. That was dissapointing because some people cant just buy crowns, i mean i have never bought crowns because my parents cant afford it. I hope they rethink this and implement it as a gold coin thing or reduce the crowns to a 100 or something, (still have 100 crowns left from, being a starter) I hope you think about it Zenimax
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I was in my late teens, although it was a long time ago now, we had things called (in the UK) "Saturday Jobs" - ie you would go and stack shelves in a store on the weekend and earn a bit of money for it. It was typically low-paid work, but gave a bit of cash to spend on our hobbies, clothes, or even to help out our parents by contributing to household costs.
    Edited by Epona222 on August 8, 2016 8:47AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
    Options
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's done is done, sorry to say. But really it was to be expected. Cosmetic change is a pretty standard moneymaker in the industry. WoW charges I believe $25 bucks still for theirs.
    Options
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dameon wrote: »
    I was utterly dissapointed to what Zenimax had done using crowns to buy a token from the crown store. That was dissapointing because some people cant just buy crowns, i mean i have never bought crowns because my parents cant afford it. I hope they rethink this and implement it as a gold coin thing or reduce the crowns to a 100 or something, (still have 100 crowns left from, being a starter) I hope you think about it Zenimax

Not to be snarky and Not sure how old you are but if your old enough maybe get a paper route? Or mow neighbors lawns? Shovel some snow? Earn a couple of bucks and you can buy your own crowns? They are cheap enough...a small job on the side would be more than enough...

Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
    Options
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    You may wish to consider creating a new character. You'd be investing your time, instead of your money, to be able to have the appearance you want.

If your new character uses the same resource (magicka or stamina) you'll be able to re-use their armor.
    Options
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »

Not to be snarky and Not sure how old you are but if your old enough maybe get a paper route? Or mow neighbors lawns? Shovel some snow? Earn a couple of bucks and you can buy your own crowns? They are cheap enough...a small job on the side would be more than enough...

Exactly - My little brother did dog-walking from about the age of 14 to earn money for the guitars he wanted to buy, I babysat the neighbour's children for an hour or two a day during school holidays, and we both had paper rounds and offered to wash peoples' cars, mow lawns, rake leaves etc. (Not much call for shoveling snow here, but that is equally valuable in some climes). When I was 16 I got a part time job (9 hours on a Saturday and 4 hours on a Monday night, so it didn't interfere with school) in a supermarket. Although the hourly rate was low, that was actually the period of my life when I had most disposable income for hobbies, what with having no real financial commitments!
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
    Options
  • Koe
    Koe
    Soul Shriven
    I read this Forum entry, then looked at the responses... Haha I was going to say all this too. I had a bank account in primary school I used to put 20 cents into per week. After a few years it was a lot of dollars. We are all meant to be adults on ESO and I am happy Zenimax chose this option. Like above, I used to mow lawns for people around the neighborhood and I'd get 20 dollar notes. One thing I didn't do in those days was deposit it in the bank. In my country it's technically illegal to walk the streets without sufficient money in your pocket/wallet. I guess the law thinks it's dangerous for their citizens to be without phone or transport money in emergencies. Now I sound like my Mum and Dad.
    I'm so happy Crowns are non tradable so the aspect of begging is non existent.
    Hope I don't sound mean, but using a PC online playing ESO does not state you are extremely disadvantaged.
    Options
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to teach english to the kids in my neighborhood hahah
    I didn't get paid much, but it was enough for me to buy some stuff from the Sims Store xD (God, the memories!!!!!!!!!)
    What I mean, really, is that we do not know your family situation, your age etc but 1.500 crowns are 9,74€ atm, I am sure you could save this (and much more) if you take 1 month job (or 1 weekend job), especially now that it is summer :tongue:
    Options
  • Dameon
    Dameon
    You guys are lucky, my parents are too overprotective to let me get a job (im 17 years old)
    Options
  • Ep1kMalware
    Ep1kMalware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »

indeed. if you're old enough to buy the game then you're old enough to work. Hell, even eso website makes you verify age. So the fact that you are here, posting ensures that you know this.
    Options
  • Garldeen
    Garldeen
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, there could be reasons that the opening poster requires parents to buy crowns, and not all of them are due to being lazy. That might be the case but let's not judge too harshly as we don't know their situation .
    Options
  • m2super_ESO
    m2super_ESO
    ✭✭
    Your playing a F2P game, developers are still working on updates/content and they have bills to pay, rent/mortgage to pay so one way for them to make a profit on a F2P game is selling items for cash - I honestly do not see the issue. If you cant swing it reroll and take time setting up your character they way you want... it is as simple as that.
    Options
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *** generation. Let me break for you how it happens in the real world, if you can't afford it you won't have it. If you want stuff, go work for it. 17 yo really? I was working with my dad at age of 14. I hardly doubt any sane parent that is not very wealthy would motivate their kids to be vagabonds and do not allow them to work. I call BS on your story. We need people to come spend money and keep the game floating, not someone who will complain about a business trying to profit and wanting free stuff.
    Options
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »
    What's done is done, sorry to say. But really it was to be expected. Cosmetic change is a pretty standard moneymaker in the industry. WoW charges I believe $25 bucks still for theirs.

WoW charges $25 for race changes, but you can make numerous cosmetic changes in the in-game barbershop for gold. You can also preview those changes so that you can see how your character would look if those changes were made before spending your gold.

I'm not opposed to younglings getting jobs, but I share the OP's disappointment in how ZOS implemented appearance changes.
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What can I say, get ready for life ahead.

A lot lot of bs, unfairness and people trying to get every little bit out of it.

You learn to deal with it eventually :)

I do agree it's lame they charge real money for things like this, but as long as they use that money to help run the game, it doesn't bother me. They probably don't though.
    Options
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You guys are lucky, my parents are too overprotective to let me get a job (im 17 years old)

So how will you move out/get married/follow your dreams/go to uni/go on holiday etc.? :tongue:
    Options
  • Garldeen
    Garldeen
    ✭✭✭✭

This game is 18, you might want to 'age' a year very quickly in your reply ;)
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ridiculous, you're grown...start acting like it. You're 1 step away from legal adulthood.
    Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the saddest things I've read in a very long time.

Dameon, lemme let you in on a little secret: you're not going to get far in life if you don't even feel like you can start asserting some independence at the age of seventeen. The sooner you start earning and saving money, the better off you will be -- especially in our current unstable economic environment. Remind your parents that (depending on where you live), you will be old enough to vote in a year. You're also old enough to drive a car and father a child. There is nothing -- I repeat, NOTHING -- stopping you from going out there and finding a part-time job at a grocery store. You are on the verge of becoming an adult. They (and you) need to understand that.
    Options
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    When I was in my late teens, although it was a long time ago now, we had things called (in the UK) "Saturday Jobs" - ie you would go and stack shelves in a store on the weekend and earn a bit of money for it. It was typically low-paid work, but gave a bit of cash to spend on our hobbies, clothes, or even to help out our parents by contributing to household costs.

Back in the day those jobs paid X, and you could fit a lot of x x x x into that paycheck.

Nowadays, the job pay has doubled, but the vehicles cost 5 to 6 times as much, the house costs 6 times as much, gas is 4 to 5 times as much, insurance is 7 times as much, then there are the additional expenses that don't correlate to 'those golden age days of yesteryear' such as cell bill and internet bill.

Nowadays, those expenses have risen to the point that the retired - in the UK called 'pensioner' - have to pick up work like "Saturday jobs" in order to make ends meet.

So... You may want to check your presumptions.
    Xbox NA
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changing ones appearance is a luxury and by no means a requirement so it should be placed into the crown store to help support the game.

Nothing is for free. Someone has to pay to keep the game going.
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Never let your parents hold you back. It could be a critical and life-long error as you accumulate their bad habits over more favorable ones.
    If you have a library nearby, look into these two books. They'll help.

2a6l1j6.jpg
    signing off
    Options
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You guys are all assuming the poster is a teen... What if he's in his 20's or 30's lol :p
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
    Options
  • Orlacc
    Orlacc
    ✭✭✭
    My parents can't afford it.......perhaps a break from video games is in order. Go help your parents son/daughter.
    Options
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    You guys are all assuming the poster is a teen... What if he's in his 20's or 30's lol :p

He's said he's 17 :tongue:
    Options
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dameon
    I'm an adult type person & I too think the appearance change is rather expensive.
    & what does getting a summer job have to do with THAT?
    also, when/if you do get the job, I don't advise you to spend that money on crowns...
    there's too many other fun things to do with it!

AND I agree that if it was 100 crowns per use, more of us would use it!
    :D
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
    Options
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea that there were so many commoners playing this game. Is it any wonder that I find the level of discourse so sub-par and plebeian.
    Options
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody is lucky for being able to work, we all did it to afford the things we enjoy (ed) at younger years.

I'm surprised the responses have been rather helpful, nobody has pointed out the flaws or been rude.

If your parents can't afford it, but protect you and won't let you go out and make a quick buck. Then it looks like your up a creek w/o a paddle.

Your only option is to make a new toon.
    Options
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically this is not a F2P but a B2P game. Other factors to consider. He may have been given the game not bought it for himself. He says he can't go out and get a job and that is not an uncommon occurrence. Many parent these days are way over-protective. My own son could not work high school type jobs because we were too far from any of the possibilities and he had no car or transportation unless I drove him and I'm sure you know how well that sat with a teen boy.

I keep saying that not everyone can afford or justify the cost in crowns and to be fair to all of the player base there should be a low level change available with game gold. The 8 know we could use a real use for our gold beyond propping up the guild traders. I have a couple of characters I would like to tweak but the cost is too high for the minor changes I want. I really wish the character creation screen was more accurate for game world conditions and that we could see where we had the sliders if we want to remake a character with the minor tweaks necessary.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
    Options
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't let them do that. The earlier you start getting real world experience, the easier it will be to manage your income and learn how to pay for/ manage your income is a big part of doing adulting life. You'll find all kinds of people when you work, some of these people can possibly lead you into long lasting friendships. New career paths open up through co-workers, and lots of that experience comes through working with them. Not to mention meeting people from all walks of life. You'll learn something new everyday.

I remember working one job I had, and a magician came up to my counter. He just started to preform a magic trick right in front of me. No words were exchanged, all he wanted to do was come into the shop, perform a little trick and buy an item then go on his merry way. :D
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on August 8, 2016 8:56PM
    Options
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koe wrote: »
    I read this Forum entry, then looked at the responses... Haha I was going to say all this too. I had a bank account in primary school I used to put 20 cents into per week. After a few years it was a lot of dollars. We are all meant to be adults on ESO and I am happy Zenimax chose this option. Like above, I used to mow lawns for people around the neighborhood and I'd get 20 dollar notes. One thing I didn't do in those days was deposit it in the bank. In my country it's technically illegal to walk the streets without sufficient money in your pocket/wallet. I guess the law thinks it's dangerous for their citizens to be without phone or transport money in emergencies. Now I sound like my Mum and Dad.
    I'm so happy Crowns are non tradable so the aspect of begging is non existent.
    Hope I don't sound mean, but using a PC online playing ESO does not state you are extremely disadvantaged.

Wait what? I didn't know countries had laws like this. I'm so fascinated!
    Options