The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hardware question: Which to buy first? New gaming Keyboard or Mouse?

Pomaikai
Pomaikai
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm posting this here in order to avoid people suggesting hardware whose accompanying software isn't Mac compatible, as well as the inevitable PC fan bois coming out of the woodwork to threadcrap. Since we're all Mac users here, we've all probably wondered about similar upgrades, and might even be considering one right now!

Firstly, since I play on a Mac my choices of peripherals are pretty much limited to either Logitech or Razer when it comes to gaming keyboards and mice, as they're the only ones with Mac compatible software to use all of their features.

I'm on a budget, so I can only upgrade one peripheral at a time, hence my dilemma. I am currently using a Logitech G13 gaming pad which I'm only marginally satisfied with, a very basic Razer Abyssus 2-button gaming mouse, and the standard Mac Bluetooth chiclet keyboard.

I am looking at either a Razer Naga MMO 12-button gaming mouse, or their MOBA hex gaming mouse. The MMO mouse has more buttons and would probably be something that would work well in future games, while the MOBA hex mouse would be exactly what ESO needs right now. I think it would be easier to use, swap bars with, etc. I think I'm leaning towards the MOBA hex mouse, but would welcome any and all opinions and suggestions. Logitech made, but I don't think any longer makes, an MMO mouse like the Naga MMO mouse. It's still available via Amazon, but I don't know about it. The logitech software is a real PITA to use on the G13, and is probably why I don't have it set up as well as it could be. I really don't like it. Someday I'll swap it out for a Razer Ouroboros gamepad and pass it down to my son to use with Minecraft.

For a keyboard, I'm torn between the Razer Anansi MMO keyboard, and the Razer Elite Stealth full sized keyboard. The Anansi is a whole lot more like my current Mac keyboard in that it lacks a 10-key pad, and is a much smaller size which will quite frankly fit my current computer space a whole lot better. The downside is that there have been a number of negative reviews of the Anansi talking about typing and keypress issues, which is pretty damned important in a keyboard. The layout, size, and features (like full integration of it's special keys and the Razer Naga MM mouse) though are pretty compelling if I don't run into any of the problems that people have talked about. Especially if those problems are strictly PC problems, rather than Mac problems... The Razer Elite Stealth is a BIG keyboard. It's not only full sized, but pretty darned thick and tall. However, it's a mechanical keyboard as opposed to the Ananasi, and it's a "stealth" mechanical keyboard so typing on it won't wake the dead.

I can also save up a bit more and get a high end Mac mechanical keyboard like the Das Keyboard that is 100% designed for the Mac, with all of the correctly labeled keys, and even the special Eject key for my DVD drive, dual USB 3.0 ports, and a very cool volume control wheel. Honestly, I'll have tons of other options via whichever mouse I choose, and my current/future gamepad, for key reassignments to make fighting more efficient, especially as I rarely use the keyboard itself to play ESO, except for typing.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas?
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The Razer Naga MMO 12-button gaming mouse is a beast in ESO. You might think the hex would be fine with six buttons (one for each skill and one for your ultimate), and I'm sure that many people like it, but there are a number of other things in ESO that you can map to the 12 buttons: potions, roll dodge, bar swapping, etc. I would go for this first, I still use a bog-standard keyboard because my mouse does pretty much everything I need.

I agree that the Razer software is much easier to use than the stuff from Logitech, I used to have one of their six-button gaming mice and the crummy software was one of the things that drove me to Razer.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for making up my mind on the mouse! I'll do that first, and then move on to my keyboard decision, which will probably be the Das Keyboard because of the extra functionality for everyday use. :smiley:
  • LrdRahvin
    LrdRahvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would first invest in a swat-o-matic2000 flyswatter.

You'll need it to try to squash all the bugs recently introduced.

Without it, a keyboard and mouse won't do you a lot of good. ;)
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a mouse is more important than keyboard. To add on to what @wayfarerx mentioned, another great 12 button MMO mouse is the corsair scimitar RBG. Same thing as the Naga but made by corsair. The corsair you can adjust the side buttons to it fits your thumb placement better. I previously had a Naga and loved it, but my mouse wheel gave out in under a year and after some googling I found out that was pretty common. Wasn't worth it to send it in either with shipping. ALTHOUGH that's just me, I'm sure tons of people's have had a Naga for years.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    I think a mouse is more important than keyboard. To add on to what @wayfarerx mentioned, another great 12 button MMO mouse is the corsair scimitar RBG. Same thing as the Naga but made by corsair. The corsair you can adjust the side buttons to it fits your thumb placement better. I previously had a Naga and loved it, but my mouse wheel gave out in under a year and after some googling I found out that was pretty common. Wasn't worth it to send it in either with shipping. ALTHOUGH that's just me, I'm sure tons of people's have had a Naga for years.

side_vm2n.jpg

* drools *

That looks like a really sweet mouse, I might have to pick one up and try it out, but I just blew my gaming budget on crowns, arrgghh. The texturing on the side buttons is something I would love to have on my Naga.

I have heard of people having issues with the Naga mouse wheel before, but I've been using mine heavily for a year and a half now with no problems at all. YMMV.

EDIT: Looks like this does not support mac, that's a show-stopper for me since I play on a macbook when traveling.
    Edited by wayfarerx on August 4, 2016 5:52PM
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely never go with anything from Razer. It's plastic and 50% of the price comes from the brand itself.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I liked the Corsair too, but it doesn't support the Mac, and they have zero plans of doing so in the future. Not going with a Razer means that I have to go with Logitech. That's it. No other options are available to Mac users. Logitech just doesn't make a good MMO mouse any longer that I can see, and their integration software for the Mac is not good at all. It's seriously not intuitive or easy to use.

If you can point me to an MMO style mouse which fully supports a Mac which isn't a Razer or a Logitech one that was discontinued years ago, I'd appreciate it.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure tons of people's have had a Naga for years.

I wore out a Naga in less than a year. It was not the mouse wheel, but the left click button. Kind of important.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I'm sure tons of people's have had a Naga for years.

I wore out a Naga in less than a year. It was not the mouse wheel, but the left click button. Kind of important.

Again, a choice that is 100% Mac compatible would be nice. Other than that, I just have to deal. Maybe I'll add on a Square Trade warranty...
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been using Logitech's G600 MMO mouse for some years now, in many different games. It has 12 thumb buttons (24 total with a ring finger activated "shift" function), making it useful even in games with a lot of crowded action bars (WoW comes to mind). In ESO, I've mapped not only the five available actions to them, but also frequently used keys like [E], [R], [X], [Alt], and weapon swap, so my left hand has to care about character movement only.

The Logitech Gaming Software (LGS) gets updated often and is fully compatible with 10.11.6 atm. It's easy to use, allowing the creation of many different profiles to suit one's gaming needs, and even comes with predefined, automatically selectable profiles for popular games. Any keyboard key or action can be mapped to any mouse button, so that games do not have to support the mouse natively at all. Several mouse sensitivity settings can be defined over a wide range per profile and may be switched in-between on the fly.

I also had very good and helpful dealings with Logitech's customer support in the past. I wouldn't want to replace the G600 for another brand/model in the world.

Edit: corrected number of thumb buttons, which I quoted incorrectly from memory.
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on August 5, 2016 11:44AM
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using Logitech's G600 MMO mouse for some years now, in many different games. It has 16 thumb buttons (32 total with a ring finger activated "shift" function), making it useful even in games with a lot of crowded action bars (WoW comes to mind). In ESO, I've mapped not only the five available actions to them, but also frequently used keys like [E], [R], [X], [Alt], and weapon swap, so my left hand has to care about character movement only.

The Logitech Gaming Software (LGS) gets updated often and is fully compatible with 10.11.6 atm. It's easy to use, allowing the creation of many different profiles to suit one's gaming needs, and even comes with predefined, automatically selectable profiles for popular games. Any keyboard key or action can be mapped to any mouse button, so that games do not have to support the mouse natively at all. Several mouse sensitivity settings can be defined over a wide range per profile and may be switched in-between on the fly.

I also had very good and helpful dealings with Logitech's customer support in the past. I wouldn't want to replace the G600 for another brand/model in the world.

Yeah, I have a Logitech G13 game pad and I use that software. We have a love hate relationship. I love to hate it. It's about as easy to use as my fancy Logitech touchscreen TV remote that still only gives me a choice of CD Player or Laser Disc rather than a DVD and Blu-Ray. :s
  • LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    I've stuck with the original Mac wired (full) keyboard, but bought a Razer Naga mouse about a year ago. Best decision ever. Things can get a bit frenetic in the middle of fights and just having the central 'rest' pad for your thumb and the 6 buttons surrounding it make it almost a guaranteed click on the right skill at the right time.

I use 1-5 for my skills, 6 for dodge roll and use the wheel click for firing off the ultimate, so no accidental 'DRAGONKNIGHT STANDARDDDDDDD' :D
    Edited by LaucianNailor on August 5, 2016 1:21PM
    Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild