Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can someone please explain random dungeons to me because my first 2 experiences were odd

Deathgiggle
Deathgiggle
✭✭✭
I qued for random dungeons and the first one we killed the first boss and I got a purple drop. I was like OMG yeah and then looked in my inventory and saw it was level 50? Then we wiped on the second boss and one person immediately left the group. Then it fell apart. Later on I got into another group and again the first boss dropped an item and it was level 50.

I'm level 23 so I'm confused why i would want level 50 gear and why can't something drop I can actually use?

Also, in both groups I pulled aggro really bad and died a couple of times. I was using Wall of Elements and spamming swallow soul and using my staff. I think the AOE was causing the aggro but is this like other games where the tank is supposed to hold aggro? I don't want to keep being the idiot that spoils the run if I'm supposed to just single target in group pulls or what?
What makes it hard is there in no communication, no one was using a headset and it was all sort of a nightmare.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I qued for random dungeons and the first one we killed the first boss and I got a purple drop. I was like OMG yeah and then looked in my inventory and saw it was level 50? Then we wiped on the second boss and one person immediately left the group. Then it fell apart. Later on I got into another group and again the first boss dropped an item and it was level 50.

I'm level 23 so I'm confused why i would want level 50 gear and why can't something drop I can actually use?
    I think that is a bug, you should be getting drops at your level if you use the group finder to do a random dungeon.
    Also, in both groups I pulled aggro really bad and died a couple of times. I was using Wall of Elements and spamming swallow soul and using my staff. I think the AOE was causing the aggro but is this like other games where the tank is supposed to hold aggro? I don't want to keep being the idiot that spoils the run if I'm supposed to just single target in group pulls or what?
    Tanks in ESO have no AOE taunt, they are only expected to taunt the toughest opponents. As a DPS your job (most of the time) in trash pulls or with adds on the boss is to AOE them down as quickly as possible. You need to be able to handle a little heat, either by using shields or dodge chance or dodge rolling or heals or something, depends on your build.
    What makes it hard is there in no communication, no one was using a headset and it was all sort of a nightmare.
    You guys get text chat soon so hopefully that will get better. Good luck!
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gear sounds like a bug for sure.

Remember to check in our options for voice chat. See if you are in the group. Sometimes it will kick you out of it when you transport to the dungeon or a load screen. I find out a lot of people have a headset or just dont talk. But if you talk it can come through there speakers if they do not have a headset it. Just start talking or say you like bacon, works for me :).

Also, being a tank, we SHOULD, rush in, drop some talons or caltrops, depends on if your a DK or not. I am so I am using that as an example. You do need to able to protect yourself from some direct combat, also see if the group if burning a certain mob down and do the same. You will die a few times but its not really anyones fault. It happens.

Are you on PS4? If so add me The_Pale_Italian.

I love to tank and have friends inviting me all the time to tank so if you want to run with someone who talks I will gladly.

Never be afraid after a good run where people talk to tell them to add you or ask if they wanna run another one. You will be surprised how many times people will run a few with a good group.
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you were doing the right thing as a DPS with a trash pull OP, you want AoE damage but this can pull aggro. Just make sure to stay near everyone else, especially the healer. You want everyone to pull the mobs together so that you can group AoE them quickly. It is easier if a Sorc or DK use an AoE root to hold the mobs in place but if no one has an AoE root your healer should still be able to look after everyone if you all stay together.

The level 50 gear shouldn't be happening you should be getting gear at your level.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why you get level 50 gear, however purple drops in those dungeons are ...well purple but poopy and only good for deconstruction, in the hope that you get a purple upgrade material from it. White set gear is more important than the shiniest non-set gear.
    Veterans often run mob fights like this:
    Healer casts heals-over-time beforehand, everyone rushes in and aoe the mobs down, and if the Tank have a skill to pull distant mobs close, he will do so, but if not then the DD's will kill the individual mobs afterwards. Then Healer casts resource-management skills.

Healers and Tanks are expected to deal aoe damage in mob fights, and single target in boss-fights - however they have to keep focus on their roles first, so how much damage they do should be considerate a bonus, rather than a requirement. If damage dealers depend on the tank and healers dps, then they need to get better gear and work their build.

Non-veterans play very chaotic, people kite mobs and bosses, aggro left and right - no order, often DD's don't have aoe skills and the group splits in each their own direction. Tank don't have taunt and Healer don't know what heals to cast or runs out of magicka because the group is spread out so the cheap aoe-heals can't be used..
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    That's an unlucky bug. To be honest I think having everything scaling to 160 isn't the right track. I think dungeons should have been scaled on an average level and it would avoid putting people 160+ with players below 50

But that isn't anything to do with the bug anyway, I was lucky and it bugged once a couple weeks ago(I've been grinding)allowing me to pick up 160 stuff at level 48 or so. I just deconstructed it like a noob though
    Edited by ScottK1994 on July 28, 2016 11:38AM
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's one weapon I know of that has never, not once, ever level scaled past lv50 (should be 160 for me) for me and that's Akash's First Love. It's been that way for as long as I can remember and I've always wondered if other items had scaling issues.
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the gear scale to the person who is leader of the group? So when he PUGed the dungeon he got into a group with a level 50 as the leader and all the armor scaled to his level.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the gear scale to the person who is leader of the group? So when he PUGed the dungeon he got into a group with a level 50 as the leader and all the armor scaled to his level.

If they are using the dungeon finder equip should scale to his level.

As for the agro part something to keep in mind is where the heals are going. Usually as dps even if it seems like a bad idea i try to stay near the tank durning trash pulls. Because that is where the healer is focused and usually dropping the aoe healing. There is no targeted healing in this game. It is either smart healing (the game decides who is the lowest and the heals go there) or AOE. So at times if things are going bad the healer wil focus in one place making sure aoe is being dropped there. And this is usually where the tank is. Or even if it isnt going bad and the healer wants to dps and feels his job is only to keep the tank alive. Ofcouse this does not apply to bosses :smile:

Also as you run more dungeons you have to change how you play to fit the group. If the tank isnt dropping some aoe at the start, you dont start with aoe. Single target what the tank is fighting until things are grouped up. If the tank starts with aoe wait for the mobs to move to him then join in the aoe. And as others have said, the mobs will not all move to him. There is no aoe taunt. So if you pick up mobs. Drag them into the aoe. Or pull them over to the tank. Another reason I usually try to stay near the tank in trash pulls. If mobs do come to you, no moving needed.

Now having said all that you never know because the group finder is random. You will get really good groups where you zip right through and feel like you didnt do anything, because the group was so good. And horrible groups where no one seems to know what to do and is just running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

It is the fun(?) of a random group find.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on July 29, 2016 1:39PM
  • Durete
    Durete
    ✭✭
    Just my 2 cents as for dpsing in dungeons:

1) Everyone should be able to heal and shield themselves at least a bit, and ofc spam potions/use the right food.
    When I run random dungeons as a DPS I'll have at least 1 shield/damage reduction ability and at least 2 heals on my second bar.

2) as a tank you cannot effectively tank more than 3 mobs, unless you're a stamina DK, which means that you can spam your "cheap" single target taunt.

3) Most heals are aoe heals that have a fairly small range. so you either want to stack on the healer, or behind the boss in melee range (so the healer can heal all of you at the same time ) - this is ofcourse dependent on the bossmechanics for that fight.

4) Sorcerers are squishy early in the game, Pre level 20 I got 1 shotted many,many times by random adds/boss that is untill I got the shields, which I use 100% of the time on myself just not to get 1 shotted anymore.