Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why can we still not gift Crowns?

Phinix1
Phinix1
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Is it some sort of economic regulation/currency exchange thing?

• DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So people can't buy in game stuff with real money
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trading crowns with friends- 3k crowns per 5k traded lol
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crown agreement is a nontransferable license. By purchasing or receiving crowns, you agree to that license and remove ZOS or any other party from any liability pertaining to the use of that license.

That's why ZOS had to contact the crown winners from the One Million Reasons sweepstakes first. That was their way of verifying consent to the crown license before depositing them.
    signing off
  • stojekarcub18_ESO
    stojekarcub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Twould be nice if we could. I have a friend I met in game and we play A LOT together...but he often can't afford to re-up his ESO+ for the next month, so we can't do anything DLC together. I say it all the time I wish I could gift him the crowns to outright buy the DLCs...my ESO+ crowns very rarely even get remembered, let alone spent.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich Lambert said they have been looking into it, but that one of the issues they are worried about is fraud.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • PurifedBladez
    PurifedBladez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuz I'd sell em to people.
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rich Lambert said they have been looking into it, but that one of the issues they are worried about is fraud.

That is no real reason to not offer a gifting option. Fraud happens regardless.
  • Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭
    One issue of course is people selling off their ESO+ crowns, or buying a whole *** ton during a sale and then reselling them for a hefty profit later. It's definitely not a straightforward thing to implement, so if anything the amazing thing would be if we could gift them, not that we can't.
    Daggerfall Covenant - Scourge (Xbox NA) - GT: Lucius Aelius - Lord - 648CP
    Lucius Aelius Aurelius - 50 Imperial Dragonknight - Centurion - Stam Tank
    Lucius Aelius Valerius - 50 Imperial Templar - Lieutenant - Mag Heal/DPS
    Lucius Aelius Regulus - 50 Imperial Nightblade - First Sergeant - Stam DPS
    Lucius Aelius Augustus - 50 Imperial Sorcerer - Corporal - Mag DPS
    Wags-His-Tail - 20 Argonian Sorcerer - Recruit - TBD
    Holds-The-Line - 40 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Carries-Extra-Gear - 4 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Guildmaster - Wardens of the Covenant
    Group Leader - xpThe Guildxp
    Trader - Secret Sauce
    Trader - Elite Dungeoneers
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, ZOS still controls the supply, so the possibility of fraud should be no higher than it is now on their store where you buy Crowns. The process would be the same. Go to ZOS store. Buy crowns. Exchange for trade-able item in-game.

Fine print update is all that is needed:
    "No refunds once you have spent the Crowns in any way."

Pretty much the same as with CD's and most software. No refunds once you open it.

If ZOS want to be nice they could make it:
    "No refunds unless you currently have the amount of Crowns in question available to remove."

Seems simple enough.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One issue of course is people selling off their ESO+ crowns, or buying a whole *** ton during a sale and then reselling them for a hefty profit later. It's definitely not a straightforward thing to implement, so if anything the amazing thing would be if we could gift them, not that we can't.

You wouldn't be able to sell them, they are still bind on acquire.

All you can do is buy them from ZOS, and exchange them in-game for a trade-able token in X unit increments.
  • Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »

All you can do is buy them from ZOS, and exchange them in-game for a trade-able token in X unit increments.

Ever heard of Gold selling? They don't "let" you sell gold in the game either, doesn't stop people from doing it (without being caught after the fact anyway). If they structured it the way you seem to be suggesting then it could maybe work, where the only crowns you can gift are ones you buy specifically as a gift and are unable to gift crowns you already have.

One issue is the issue of sales though, like I said before. If someone bought them cheaper on sale then tried to gift them to someone later, they could charge that person real money (the transaction being conducted outside of the game just like with Gold Selling) at a discounted price compared to the full price, but at a higher price than the original person paid for as a result of buying it on sale.

So they would basically have to prevent you from gifting crowns bought on sale, which from a logic standpoint settles any problems, but from a coding standpoint could well prove a nightmare to implement. And it also makes it lame, since it deprives anyone wanting to be nice of the same opportunity the rest of us have to save money during a sale. So no, this is not as simple as some in this thread seem to think.
    Daggerfall Covenant - Scourge (Xbox NA) - GT: Lucius Aelius - Lord - 648CP
    Lucius Aelius Aurelius - 50 Imperial Dragonknight - Centurion - Stam Tank
    Lucius Aelius Valerius - 50 Imperial Templar - Lieutenant - Mag Heal/DPS
    Lucius Aelius Regulus - 50 Imperial Nightblade - First Sergeant - Stam DPS
    Lucius Aelius Augustus - 50 Imperial Sorcerer - Corporal - Mag DPS
    Wags-His-Tail - 20 Argonian Sorcerer - Recruit - TBD
    Holds-The-Line - 40 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Carries-Extra-Gear - 4 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Guildmaster - Wardens of the Covenant
    Group Leader - xpThe Guildxp
    Trader - Secret Sauce
    Trader - Elite Dungeoneers
  • stojekarcub18_ESO
    stojekarcub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Ever heard of Gold selling? They don't "let" you sell gold in the game either, doesn't stop people from doing it (without being caught after the fact anyway). If they structured it the way you seem to be suggesting then it could maybe work, where the only crowns you can gift are ones you buy specifically as a gift and are unable to gift crowns you already have.

One issue is the issue of sales though, like I said before. If someone bought them cheaper on sale then tried to gift them to someone later, they could charge that person real money (the transaction being conducted outside of the game just like with Gold Selling) at a discounted price compared to the full price, but at a higher price than the original person paid for as a result of buying it on sale.

So they would basically have to prevent you from gifting crowns bought on sale, which from a logic standpoint settles any problems, but from a coding standpoint could well prove a nightmare to implement. And it also makes it lame, since it deprives anyone wanting to be nice of the same opportunity the rest of us have to save money during a sale. So no, this is not as simple as some in this thread seem to think.

Option to directly buy as a gift...surely that could work?
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭

This extremely misses the point of the gift option. You are overthinking it.

There are multiple stores that offer gifting options (wow and lol) and there is no coding nightmare. It is a simple process.
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    So people can't buy in game stuff with real money

EXACTLY!

The day they allow gifting crowns they might as well just start selling max level gear in the crown store and beat the gold selling scammers to the punch!

Sorry, but nothing good will come out of it so it probably will never happen..

/crosses fingers.
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Twould be nice if we could. I have a friend I met in game and we play A LOT together...but he often can't afford to re-up his ESO+ for the next month, so we can't do anything DLC together. I say it all the time I wish I could gift him the crowns to outright buy the DLCs...my ESO+ crowns very rarely even get remembered, let alone spent.

But if you gift them to him, they don't get his money.
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever heard of Gold selling? They don't "let" you sell gold in the game either, doesn't stop people from doing it (without being caught after the fact anyway).
    The day they allow gifting crowns they might as well just start selling max level gear in the crown store and beat the gold selling scammers to the punch!

A lot of people seem to be really confused about how this would work. It is nothing like gold selling.

Gold selling only works because you are able to earn gold in-game with time, not money. With Crowns, you can't earn them with time in game. The only way to get crowns is buying from ZOS.

I guess someone could pay some other player to buy them from ZOS for them, but... Why? And why would anyone sell them? Either they would be taking a loss, or they would be cheaper from ZOS.

I get that people hate gold sellers but the two really are night and day. It is not possible for other websites to sell Crowns without SOMEONE buying them from ZOS.

Since these would be up on auction houses the worst thing that buying them on sale would do is temporarily increase supply and lower in-game gold value.

And if the argument is that it would give gold sellers a market as people would buy gold to buy crown tokens from auction houses, I would counter no more than they already do for the 150k+ jewelry and 100k+ motifs.

Also, ZOS should leave it so you can't buy ESO+ with Crowns.
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever heard of Gold selling? They don't "let" you sell gold in the game either, doesn't stop people from doing it (without being caught after the fact anyway).

Since these would be up on auction houses the worst thing that buying them on sale would do is temporarily increase supply and lower in-game gold value.

This is what single handedly RUINED Neverwinters economy so bad that the devs had to go and remove dungeons! It was a mess and allowing people to sell anything to other players that can be bought with real life money will do nothing but ruin the economy even more so than guild monopolizing the traders..

I hate to be "that guy" on this, but I have been here playing MMO's from the golden age.. "yes call me gan-pa if you want" and this sort of thing is what tanks all of these cash shop games.. Everyone one of them that allows this fails.
    Edited by Funkopotamus on July 27, 2016 4:26AM
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
  • FullBlownBeast
    FullBlownBeast
    ✭✭✭
    You wanna sub him? Buy those card codes and give him the code, problem solved. Wth are you crying about.
    Plain and Simple
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how people don't get the gold for crowns concept.
    Example : "You give me 1500 crowns, then after I'll give you the 100k gold we agreed on"
    (likely keeps crowns and doesn't give gold but that's not the point).

A friend of mine no longer plays and has 4k crown stockpiled, they would give to me but cannot :(
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is no real reason to not offer a gifting option. Fraud happens regardless.

Someone fraudulently buying crowns has no way to turn that into money. So there's no real incentive, at least not on a large scale.

However, if you could sell those crowns to a third party... you'd have a way to launder funds. You could turn stolen credit card numbers into cash. And, ZOS would be left either screwing over customers or eating the loss themselves.