Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can Game Account Switch Between Mac and PC?

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I purchased ESO for Mac. In our ESO account page I noticed that when you choose to download the game (i.e. after full uninstall) it does not specify Mac or PC. Does our account keep track of our purchase, or does it somehow detect what OS (Windows vs Mac OS) we are running and automatically download the appropriate version of ESO for us?

I guess what I am asking is, if I were to purchase a Windows PC, would I be able to simply log into my account and download ESO without issue? Or would I have to purchase the PC version of ESO?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PC/Mac licensed is a single license. You should be able to login to either Mac or PC with the same account. Just as I am able to play on either my desktop or my laptop with my account. You just can't be logged into both at the same time
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to treat it like any PC player that has the game on two machines (say a desktop for home and a laptop for travel). As stated above, you won't be able to login to the same account on both machines at the same time. In fact, it might even trigger some action on your account by ZOS if do this persistently.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you are confusing terms.

Pc = personal computer
    Mac = type of personal computer

so answered own question,

windows = pc
    linux = pc
    unix = pc
    DOS = pc
    mac = pc.

The operating system is irrelevant, the platform is what matters ;)
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    You should be able to treat it like any PC player that has the game on two machines (say a desktop for home and a laptop for travel).

I do exactly this, with a Windows desktop at home and a Mac laptop on the road, all the time. The same ESO account works just fine on whichever machine I play on.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick responses. I am not looking to be logged in from more than one "location" lol.

So, if I purchase a Windows PC I could simply login to my account and download the game? The server would automatically have me download the Windows version? My concern is whether or not I would need to purchase ESO again. I could have sworn when I originally purchased ESO I chose the "Mac" version. I just want to be sure.
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    Different Operating System but should work fine
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick responses. I am not looking to be logged in from more than one "location" lol.

So, if I purchase a Windows PC I could simply login to my account and download the game? The server would automatically have me download the Windows version? My concern is whether or not I would need to purchase ESO again. I could have sworn when I originally purchased ESO I chose the "Mac" version. I just want to be sure.

You don't need to purchase it again. You just download the pc/Mac client and login like normal.

You won't have any of your addons unless you download them, and your settings and add on history will always remain separate between the two systems, but your account can go back and forth as much as you want.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

You don't need to purchase it again. You just download the pc/Mac client and login like normal.

You won't have any of your addons unless you download them, and your settings and add on history will always remain separate between the two systems, but your account can go back and forth as much as you want.

Have never played ESO with addons. Always played ESO as ZOS hands it to me update to update.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You do not need to purchase ESO again. When you log in to http://account.elderscrollsonline.com/ (just click on the Account link in the topmost forum menu bar), the web server will evaluate the "browser string" that your browser submits with any HTTP request over the Internet, which contains the name of the OS you're currently using (Windows or OS X). The web page will then offer the according Installer file version when you click on the "Download Game" button in your account page.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question I would like to know is how much of the game you would have to actually download. For example, I am refering to the graphics and sound files that make up the bulk of the download. Would you be able to copy that over and then have the download fill in the parts that are missing saving you time and bandwidth. Obviously on a PC to PC it would be easy, but Mac to PC might not work.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"