The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

If all Trials had a Public Dungeon option would you like both?

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd like an optional public dungeon version of existing and new Trials
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Enodoc wrote: »
    In order for more people to experience the storylines, yes. But with none of the Trial achievements and none of the Loot that is exclusive to Trials.

Agree completely
    How should that work without completly redesigning most of the trials?
    Let's take AA since it's the first one according to the story line:
    1. You can't open the door as long as the frost atros are alive. What happens if someone killed them before you entered the dungeon? Will the doors shut as soon as the atros spawn? And what happens if you made it through the door before they shut, but one of your friends didn't? Does he have to solo kill them / wait for new people to enter?
    2. Teleporters have to be redesigned, otherwise you still need 12 coordinated people
    3. When will the bridges spawn / despawn?
    4. What about the split trash that has to be killed in a certain order to stop them respawning forever?
    5. Thanks to teleports and jumping the dungeon is very linear. What if a friend is left behind when mobs respawn? How do you want to help them?
    6. What do you do about mage chain lightning? Will it allow random players to wipe you by standing next to you?
    7. What happens if a player enters the last boss platform while it is in execute phase? Will he just instantly die?

And that's just an relatively simple trial. Now think about transforming MoL to a public dungeon with all it's one shot mechanics, multiple add waves that are triggered when you enter an area and numerous doors that are shut untill you kill certain enemies.

I'm not opposed to intressting public pve content, I just can't see how switching trials to public has an advantage over adjusting craglorn events / existing public dungeons or creating something completely new.

This is pretty much what I thought when I read it. Or how does one go about the first Atro boss? Would you be able to just revive in boss battles?

There is no way you can "simplify" the trials into a public dungeon and still give them the feel that they have now. Maybe they should be added to the group finder, but honestly, if my guild of laid-back PvE players can do most of them given enough effort, then anyone can. And the stories and such are part of the fun.

I think your idea would pretty much suck out the fun of the whole experience.

@AlnilamE

You're adding in your own thing. This idea isn't asking to make Trials a Public dungeon.

The idea is giving all Trials a public dungeon option.
    That's extremely different in the experience, access, and loot.

It's not suppose to feel like a trial, it's suppose to be a public dungeon
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I wouldn't like an optional public dungeon. I just want the trails to be trials
    In order for more people to experience the storylines, yes. But with none of the Trial achievements and none of the Loot that is exclusive to Trials.

Agree completely
    1. You can't open the door as long as the frost atros are alive. What happens if someone killed them before you entered the dungeon? Will the doors shut as soon as the atros spawn? And what happens if you made it through the door before they shut, but one of your friends didn't? Does he have to solo kill them / wait for new people to enter?
    2. Teleporters have to be redesigned, otherwise you still need 12 coordinated people
    4. What about the split trash that has to be killed in a certain order to stop them respawning forever?
    5. Thanks to teleports and jumping the dungeon is very linear. What if a friend is left behind when mobs respawn? How do you want to help them?
    6. What do you do about mage chain lightning? Will it allow random players to wipe you by standing next to you?
    7. What happens if a player enters the last boss platform while it is in execute phase? Will he just instantly die?

And that's just an relatively simple trial. Now think about transforming MoL to a public dungeon with all it's one shot mechanics, multiple add waves that are triggered when you enter an area and numerous doors that are shut untill you kill certain enemies.

I'm not opposed to intressting public pve content, I just can't see how switching trials to public has an advantage over adjusting craglorn events / existing public dungeons or creating something completely new.

This is pretty much what I thought when I read it. Or how does one go about the first Atro boss? Would you be able to just revive in boss battles?

There is no way you can "simplify" the trials into a public dungeon and still give them the feel that they have now. Maybe they should be added to the group finder, but honestly, if my guild of laid-back PvE players can do most of them given enough effort, then anyone can. And the stories and such are part of the fun.

@AlnilamE

You're adding in your own thing. This idea isn't asking to make Trials a Public dungeon.

But why do that instead of creating a new public dungeon? Are you saying that you'd just use the "shell" of the dungeon and put in completely different mobs in there?
    The Moot Councillor
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I wouldn't like an optional public dungeon. I just want the trails to be trials
    I actually couldn't care less about this. Except for the loot: No trial loot outside of trials. PERIOD! If you want loot, run the normal mode. Easy as that.
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, I have a different take on this idea
    It doesn't need the "feel" of a Trial, it just needs the story. Every public dungeon has a story running through it; this would work in the same way. As for opening doors and whatnot, all you need for that is quest ticks. You wouldn't be able to open the door until the quest triggers the tick for defeating the atro. That tick would register with all group members in the same way they do with any public dungeon quest, and if you don't get the tick for whatever reason, you wait for the boss to respawn, as you do now in similar situations that require killing a boss.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree completely

@AlnilamE

But why do that instead of creating a new public dungeon? Are you saying that you'd just use the "shell" of the dungeon and put in completely different mobs in there?

@AlnilamE
    I think it's a complete waste to create new public dungeons when all that's needed is a few small edits to existing trials.

Something that I found shocking on Xbox One is that in the many guilds and the decent size of friends list that I have who play this game (200+) many people have little to no interest in grouping up for a PvE trial.

-many different reasons and some make sense while others are just ppl who want a solo game experience it's come to my attention that because it's not an activity finder item and that the guild set up doesn't have tools and the game has no way to sign ppl up it's become something ppl consider as more of a bother.

- don't mistake that as ppl don't do them tho cause two of my guilds run old and new trials each week...or attempt to at least.
    - The point is that there more who would jump in the public dungeon concept and consider if these become points of interest, it's more likely that others will gravitate in the area for groups because there's something to do while you wait.

Even consider how much easier it would be to form group cause ppl are bouncing around inside and with One Tamriel...moreso.

Overall, the public dungeon idea here is a means of creating a public gathering spot for many reasons.
    -grouping
    -farming
    -grinding
    -lfg
    -trading

Basically it's a way to better utilize the space.
    Why wouldn't someone who enjoys doing trials like this idea as it helps you too in case you need to PUG 1-2 ppl due to whatever reasons.

The same concept applies to 4 man dungeons or could apply
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on July 26, 2016 2:22PM
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While we're at it, every delve in Craglorn should be Public Dungeon style instead of instanced group style as well.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlnilamE
    I think it's a complete waste to create new public dungeons when all that's needed is a few small edits to existing trials.

Something that I found shocking on Xbox One is that in the many guilds and the decent size of friends list that I have who play this game (200+) many people have little to no interest in grouping up for a PvE trial.

-many different reasons and some make sense while others are just ppl who want a solo game experience it's come to my attention that because it's not an activity finder item and that the guild set up doesn't have tools and the game has no way to sign ppl up it's become something ppl consider as more of a bother.

- don't mistake that as ppl don't do them tho cause two of my guilds run old and new trials each week...or attempt to at least.
    - The point is that there more who would jump in the public dungeon concept and consider if these become points of interest, it's more likely that others will gravitate in the area for groups because there's something to do while you wait.

Even consider how much easier it would be to form group cause ppl are bouncing around inside and with One Tamriel...moreso.

Overall, the public dungeon idea here is a means of creating a public gathering spot for many reasons.
    -grouping
    -farming
    -grinding
    -lfg
    -trading

Why wouldn't someone who enjoys doing trials like this idea as it helps you too in case you need to PUG 1-2 ppl due to whatever reasons.

Please list the "few small edits" you would do to AA or HRC to turn it into a "Public Dungeon"

Personally, other than the Orsinium dungeons where I went with my guild a number of times (and Old Orsinium in particular to farm Harpies for their trophy), I really only go into the Public Dungeons for the quest completions on each of my characters. There's nothing particularly interesting in them other than the achievements. I would never go there for grouping, farming, looking for a group or trading.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like that, mostly because it's impossible sometimes to find 12 people that will stay!
    Most of the time, someone goes offline or leaves...
    And I'm still a big fan of trials, just disappointed sometimes... :sweat_smile:
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlnilamE

-grouping
    -farming
    -grinding
    -lfg
    -trading

Please list the "few small edits" you would do to AA or HRC to turn it into a "Public Dungeon"

Personally, other than the Orsinium dungeons where I went with my guild a number of times (and Old Orsinium in particular to farm Harpies for their trophy), I really only go into the Public Dungeons for the quest completions on each of my characters. There's nothing particularly interesting in them other than the achievements. I would never go there for grouping, farming, looking for a group or trading.

@AlnilamE

-unlock doors, sequences and passages
    -keep NPCs and bosses spawning on timers based on active players in the area
    -adjust loot tables

That's it for all Trials.
    -Regarding your comment on going to Orsinium public dungeons....that's the whole point.
    If you were in a Trial Public Dungeon you would keep going because it's something to do with the opportunity to trade, group, etc for the actual Trial.

I'm not sure if it's me explaining it or something else but your comments are exactly why I posted this thread as well as some online random discussions.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on July 26, 2016 3:43PM
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe an lower end version to be like a group dungeon but no trial loot and different bosses (easier bosses). I have completed the trials numerous times btw it would just be nice to have a mode where people could their feet wet per se.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Divinius wrote: »
    While we're at it, every delve in Craglorn should be Public Dungeon style instead of instanced group style as well.
    Agreed, just like all the other delves in the game. No need to change the difficulty, just make them "Group Delves" (as the name suggests) rather than "Group Instances" (which they actually are). I know that's been suggested a lot too, and hopefully that's in the plans for their update to Craglorn.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlnilamE

-grouping
    -farming
    -grinding
    -lfg
    -trading

@AlnilamE

-adjust loot tables

You could test drive by taking 1 or 2 friends onto AA and seeing if you can go kill the first boss. I believe it has been done solo once. You won't be able to proceed further because of the teleport pads. I think HRC can be done with 6 people and SO with 5?
    -Regarding your comment on going to Orsinium public dungeons....that's the whole point.
    If you were in a Trial Public Dungeon you would keep going because it's something to do with the opportunity to trade, group, etc for the actual Trial.

I'm not sure if it's me explaining it or something else but your comments are exactly why I posted this thread as well as some online random discussions.

Yeah, I'm not getting what you mean. I said that I wouldn't go public dungeon to look for a group (usually if I need a group I will form it before I go anywhere). Also, trading? What?

Meanwhile, being in the Public Dungeon instance would probably not make it easier for me to find a group for the actual trail instance.
    The Moot Councillor
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but more like: add an option to the finder for players who want to join a trial so you can see them (and find them).
    Not like: exact the same just for a group of 4. Because then some players may not see the reason for a grouping up for a trial since they know everything from the dungeon version.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlnilamE

-grouping
    -farming
    -grinding
    -lfg
    -trading

@AlnilamE

-adjust loot tables

You could test drive by taking 1 or 2 friends onto AA and seeing if you can go kill the first boss. I believe it has been done solo once. You won't be able to proceed further because of the teleport pads. I think HRC can be done with 6 people and SO with 5?

Yeah, I'm not getting what you mean. I said that I wouldn't go public dungeon to look for a group (usually if I need a group I will form it before I go anywhere). Also, trading? What?

Meanwhile, being in the Public Dungeon instance would probably not make it easier for me to find a group for the actual trail instance.

@AlnilamE

No we can't test drive the idea right now.
    I think I'm not painting a clear picture.

-things like teleport pads, multiple player interaction requirements, etc would all be unlocked.
    Literally these instances would allow ppl to enter and move through the whole environment limited to a single player unlock requirement if any. I personally think having locks in public areas are poor designs but having switches and quick puzzles are fine.

The design is for one...2-20+ people being able to move around inside. You'd have walls and levels and stuff so we aren't on top of one another and logical respawn timers to encourage the right behaviors but other than that....

It's not a trial so throw everything you think of in any trial out.
    It's only the shell and bosses that are the same.

I'm not sure of how long you've been around as originally public dungeons were not soloable. You had to wait for others and that's what made it fun. You died of u pulled a pack of NPCs and this was all public dungeons, delve bosses and world bosses as well as Anchors.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on July 26, 2016 6:00PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The loot drops would have to be nerfed. If not, boss camping would be a very real problem in a "public dungeon" style of the trial.
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The loot drops would have to be nerfed. If not, boss camping would be a very real problem in a "public dungeon" style of the trial.

I mean not just nerfed, but full on removed. You don't get trial gear for doing non-Trial versions of Trials.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean not just nerfed, but full on removed. You don't get trial gear for doing non-Trial versions of Trials.

I don't agree that they should be removed entirely.
    Now you should have some similarities but also obvious differences.

Let's say non-trial keeps the quality and artwork but isn't set gear
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't agree that they should be removed entirely.
    Now you should have some similarities but also obvious differences.

Let's say non-trial keeps the quality and artwork but isn't set gear

Oh I don't mean 'no gear at all" but definitely no set gear. Sure though, purple pieces of gear, everyone needs Tempers ;)
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this idea, @NewBlacksmurf , the more content everyone can experience the better.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer should be a resounding No. It's a slippery slope that would lead to other complaint threads.

People will complain saying they completed this trial and didn't get any of the trial gear. They will feel entitled to getting alkosh of infalable aether because they did it in public dungeon mode, and they should not get that gear via this mode.

Second, at least one noted this would be a simple fix yet it is not. The chsnge would affect at least 2 systems, the trial dungeon itself and the group finder since a third setting would be require in addition to the current "normal" and "veteran".

Zos has/is already building "normal" versions of the trials which are significantly easier for groups to clear and drop good gear. This is sufficient. A third type is not needed for those who refuse to group when playing an MMO.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, you seem to be saying two things at the same time and I don't think that's what you mean.

On one hand you are saying "just unlock all the doors and put respawn timers on mobs/bosses, but leave everything as is"

Which is where my comment came in about "test driving" the idea by going into AA or HRC with a small group (which is what you would do to go to a Public Dungeon) and see what you thought of the difficulty of the boss mechanics, in particular. Of course, it's not going to be an open instance, but it will give you an idea of what wandering in there by yourself would do.

If you think a group of 2-5 players could deal with that and go about their business exploring the dungeon, then it would really only require "small adjustments".

I somehow doubt that is the case.

The other thing you need to consider is that Trials (and to an extent Group Dungeons) are very linear, whereas Public Dungeons tend to be circular or "loopy". By that I mean that a Trial is designed to take you from point A (the entrance) to point B (the final boss), whereas a Public Dungeon is designed to make you go in one or more circles are you go about doing the quests and all the bosses and such (I've done the Public Dungeons enough now that I can be very efficient about it), and when you are done, you are back at the entrance and you can leave.

So again, I don't think your idea is as simple as you would like it to be.
    The Moot Councillor
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, you seem to be saying two things at the same time and I don't think that's what you mean.

On one hand you are saying "just unlock all the doors and put respawn timers on mobs/bosses, but leave everything as is"

Which is where my comment came in about "test driving" the idea by going into AA or HRC with a small group (which is what you would do to go to a Public Dungeon) and see what you thought of the difficulty of the boss mechanics, in particular. Of course, it's not going to be an open instance, but it will give you an idea of what wandering in there by yourself would do.

If you think a group of 2-5 players could deal with that and go about their business exploring the dungeon, then it would really only require "small adjustments".

I somehow doubt that is the case.

The other thing you need to consider is that Trials (and to an extent Group Dungeons) are very linear, whereas Public Dungeons tend to be circular or "loopy". By that I mean that a Trial is designed to take you from point A (the entrance) to point B (the final boss), whereas a Public Dungeon is designed to make you go in one or more circles are you go about doing the quests and all the bosses and such (I've done the Public Dungeons enough now that I can be very efficient about it), and when you are done, you are back at the entrance and you can leave.

So again, I don't think your idea is as simple as you would like it to be.

@AlnilamE

Honestly it is a very simple idea.
    My observation is that you're trying to comprehend the idea based on a Trial.

This is not, will not and should not be a trial.
    All those who voted No are commenting based on a Trial.

The context is to take the instance
    Unlock and remove the requirements that prevent players from moving through
    Keep the bosses (not the difficulty but the bosses)
    Change the loot

It's that simple.
    The work involved is simple because when you complete a trial, the mechanics are unlocked so they are just placing the players in a completed trial so to speak where bosses and NPCs continue to respawn over and over again but who drop the same loot without the set bonuses for example.

You can either have it in the activity finder or not but that's it.
    Very basic
  • BlackguardBob
    BlackguardBob
    ✭✭✭
    I am all in favour of opening up ESO so that all of us can have the option to play in all areas as and when we desire having paid for all of the game.

I understand some players need challenges of awesome proportions and congregate with like minded other players but this should not come at the expense of everybody else.

Let's get rid of the metaphoric "keep out" signs at dungeon entrances and embrace all players to, in good old fashioned Elder Scrolls Lore, "play anywhere, any class, any time... " and so forth.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will eventually be more content for casual exploration and questing. This "issue" is not specific to those that prefer not to do trials. Even those people who are exclusively trials players, pvpers, or solo players have their moments where they find themselves doing the same thing over and over again. Heck, I've run vWGT and vIP well over 200 times each, and I'm sick and tired of it! That doesn't make me want a public version of it, or a trial version either. I simply look forward to the next thing.

I'd sooner see them adding veteran versions (with different objectives and/or bosses) than spin-off public versions. I'd rather they added veteran versions of existing normal dungeons, too.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What would be the optimal group? You mention 2-20... But what do you think the aim should be, you cant balance content on 2-20 people.

You mention public dungeons but those can all be soloed easily with 1 button by a semi decent player, is that the goal?
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on July 26, 2016 8:17PM
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AlnilamE

Change the loot

It's that simple.
    The work involved is simple because when you complete a trial, the mechanics are unlocked so they are just placing the players in a completed trial so to speak where bosses and NPCs continue to respawn over and over again but who drop the same loot without the set bonuses for example.

Very basic

...have you done these trials? How would you change the boss mechanics (because the mechanics are the difficult part about them)?

The Moot Councillor
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AlnilamE

Change the loot

It's that simple.

Very basic

...have you done these trials? How would you change the boss mechanics (because the mechanics are the difficult part about them)?

@AlnilamE

Please let go of any ideas you have from this Trial.
    -yes I've done the trial and will be doing it again Wednesday night.

This isn't going to be a tank, healer and dps organization....

This would be a boss doing his thing while there could be 5 players, 2 players or even 25 players as the mechanics don't really matter as long as you're playing with the flow of the room.

That's how public dungeons work so that's the context you want to apply.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AlnilamE

Change the loot

It's that simple.

Very basic

@AlnilamE

Please let go of any ideas you have from this Trial.
    -yes I've done the trial and will be doing it again Wednesday night.

This isn't going to be a tank, healer and dps organization....

This would be a boss doing his thing while there could be 5 players, 2 players or even 25 players as the mechanics don't really matter as long as you're playing with the flow of the room.

That's how public dungeons work so that's the context you want to apply.

Public Dungeon bosses can all be soloed. So your "boss doing his thing" is not actually going to be "no change in mechanics, just open all the doors and make them respawn". You want to significantly nerf them? Or do you want them at the difficulty level of Wrothgar World Bosses (which is close to where they are at)?

You keep saying I need to let go of any ideas I have from this Trial, but you also imply that only minimal changes are required (whereas I am saying that significant changes would be required to implement your idea).

So let's loot at AA, for example. How would you change the mechanics of:

- Storm Atronach
    - Foundation Stone Atronach
    - Wisp Mother boss
    - Celestial Mage

in order to make them playable as an ad-hoc group?
    The Moot Councillor
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Public dungeons are boring imo.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU