Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mac downloaded file tree from Steam

Seract
Seract
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has a complete TESO mac download and can share pictures of it with me. (starting from the "~/Applications/Zenimax Online" or wherever it is folder)

For some reason, Steam has to download TESO windows and mac files, which is weird and annoying in some cases.
So I'd like to delete any unnecessary files and possibly clean up the folder/file system. Assuming that Steam will no longer file out updates from Steam launcher itself, and that TESO launcher doesn't require these files that are defunct towards OSX.

Side note though, it is annoying how I can't use addons that utilise SweetFX on Mac. :neutral:
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seract wrote: »
    Side note though, it is annoying how I can't use addons that utilise SweetFX on Mac. :neutral:

SweetFX is a DirectX injector. Since DirectX isn't available on the MAC and the MAC version of ESO uses OpenGL for rendering, you're completely out of luck there.
    shades.gif
  • Seract
    Seract
    SirAndy wrote: »

SweetFX is a DirectX injector. Since DirectX isn't available on the MAC and the MAC version of ESO uses OpenGL for rendering, you're completely out of luck there.
    shades.gif

Yep that is true. :cry: If only Mac had the same gaming capabilities as Windows. Although I'm wondering if I could port SweetFX with Wine and integrate it with Mac TESO... But DirectX incompatibilities will probably forfeit that option before the port even gets past running.
    Edited by Seract on July 18, 2016 11:25PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly enough, i think i read somewhere that the latest MAC version of VMWare (VMWare Fusion) supports DX11 so you might be able to run ESO in a Windows VM using SweetFX.

Unfortunately, VMWare for Windows only supports DX9, which is a shame.
    dry.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on July 18, 2016 11:34PM
  • Seract
    Seract
    Anyone...?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the over size of your TESO folder? That might be a way to compare. Perhaps they are not windows files specifically, but just have similar names (or even the same name)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Niastissa
    Niastissa
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, i think i read somewhere that the latest MAC version of VMWare (VMWare Fusion) supports DX11 so you might be able to run ESO in a Windows VM using SweetFX.

Unfortunately, VMWare for Windows only supports DX9, which is a shame.
    dry.gif

The game would never run fast enough in VMWare Fusion. My Late 2015 iMac with a 6700K, 395X, 1TB SSD and 32GB RAM can barely play Morrowind and Oblivion. On top of that there are seams in the water that look horrible and Oblivion has a light streak on the top of the screen.

Some games simply crash like Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

If you can get bootcamp to work that would be a more viable solution then VMWare Fusion.
  • Seract
    Seract
    I am not going to port ESO, so let's keep VMWare out of here so we won't go off on a tangent on this topic.
    Nestor wrote: »
    What is the over size of your TESO folder? That might be a way to compare. Perhaps they are not windows files specifically, but just have similar names (or even the same name)

Actually, they are windows files. Mac OSX is incapable of executing files with extension " .exe".
    Locating such files within the file tree should suffice to say that there have also been windows files downloaded through steam's own installation of TESO:TU
    The only reason these files would be needed would be if Mac ESO launcher utilised WINE or Cider porting technologies, similar to that of Guild Wars 2.

To answer your question, my folder size is 70.5 gb.
    There are some files such as "zosSteamStarter.exe" or "eso.exe" and a whole bunch of .dlls that Mac wouldn't normally use.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured the EXEs would not be kosher in the Mac World, I was wondering more about the graphics, sound and other files that are the meat of the game as it were.

The EXE files should not be all that large, not sure on the DLL's, I am at work so I can't check my folder. But, DLLs are usually small enough that you might be able to just ignore those, unless your goal is to clean up as much of your HDD as possible.

70GB is larger than I remember seeing the last time I checked, but that was a couple DLCs ago. I will check on it tonight if another PC user does not post their results in the meantime.

• Seract
    Seract
    I figured the EXEs would not be kosher in the Mac World, I was wondering more about the graphics, sound and other files that are the meat of the game as it were.

The EXE files should not be all that large, not sure on the DLL's, I am at work so I can't check my folder. But, DLLs are usually small enough that you might be able to just ignore those, unless your goal is to clean up as much of your HDD as possible.

70GB is larger than I remember seeing the last time I checked, but that was a couple DLCs ago. I will check on it tonight if another PC user does not post their results in the meantime.

Thanks! Yes, it is true that .exe files aren't that large. But I'd rather clean 'em up in case I mess something up there or a file gets corrupted. Its a hassle to redownload 70gb or initiate the repair process form ESO launcher.

As for the dlls, most files should be small. But one game folder (which seems to include eso.exe, awesomium, etc.) that had the windows files in there + dlls was 300mb. It would be worth checking if I can delete some to clean up my hard drive. :pensive:
  • Seract
    Seract
    bump
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, forgot to look at the files on my machine last night, I got distracted.....

• Seract
    Seract
    Dude, forgot to look at the files on my machine last night, I got distracted.....

No problem XD
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, just checked my game folder, it is 49.7GB so it appears that there are 20 GB more on your install directory. How much of that is due to compression differences or file structure differences I don't know, but I doubt that could have a big impact.

So, it will be worth it to chase down the extra files.

Voice Files 7.17 GB
    Depot 42.4 GB
    Game 195 MB

The other two folders are smaller than the Game Folder. The DLL's are small enough that it is probably not worth messing with those

• Seract
    Seract
    Ah, I see.
    My Depot is 45.53 gb.
    Game is 300.1 mb, while Game_Mac is 181.2 mb.

However, I have three voice files.
    vo_de : 8.63 gb
    vo_en : 7.71 gb
    vo_fr : 7.84 gb
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I see.
    My Depot is 45.53 gb.
    Game is 300.1 mb, while Game_Mac is 181.2 mb.

However, I have three voice files.
    vo_de : 8.63 gb
    vo_en : 7.71 gb
    vo_fr : 7.84 gb

Move those Bolded ones to some other folder and I bet everything will be just fine with the game. If so, then delete them. Unless your German or French, then move the two languages you don't speak.

The only issue is, will ZOS try to download those again on the next update or repair? You could test this by trying the repair function after you move the files but before you delete them.

Edited by Nestor on July 21, 2016 2:55PM

• KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Seract,

the current size of /Applications/ZeniMax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online EU on my iMac (OS X 10.11.6) is 53.42 GB for 252 items. Within this folder, there are three subdirectories:

depot (45.53 GB, 230 items)
    game_mac (181.2 MB, 4 items)
    vo_en (7.71 GB, 17 items -- I only play w/ Englisch voiceover)

I assume it's safe to the delete any extra folders. Make sure that you have disabled any language option you don't need beforehand in the Launcher. If anything fails to run after that, you can still restore the missing folders from your Time Machine backup.

VMware Fusion 8 (the current incarnation) only supports DirectX 10 in applicable Windows versions, so the Windows client of ESO won't run within such a virtualized environment.

The Mac client uses OpenGL 4.1 since patch 2.3.0 (2.1 beforehand). There is no way that anything to do with DirectX will have any effect on it at all.

• Seract
    Seract
    @KhajitFurTrader
    Yay! Thanks for the help! This solved it.