Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

One Tamriel - Crafting materials fear

rabb1t_ESO
rabb1t_ESO
✭✭✭
Two concerns;
- Currently there are not enough lower tier mats in a (scaled) zone to meet daily writ requirements; forcing farming or buying on the market. Once One Tamriel launces, will this become world-wide? Won't farming lower zones be impossible?
- Questing side-by-side with a friend you can currently gather materials of their level. Once One Tamriel launches won't this be impossible as you'd then see all materials your level, not theirs?

This one is already having difficulty doing crafting due to the writs wanting lower level materials. It seems like once every week this one must purchase a stack of the not top tier to keep up with writ requests. While it is currently possible to go to lower tier zones and farm for a few hours to prevent needing to do this, once One Tamriel launches and all zones scale, won't this be impossible? Won't all zones present the same crafting writ problems seen in Orsinium, Hew's Bane, and Gold Cost, in that these lower tiers are too rare to be of significant quantity to keep up with writs?

And what of questing with lower level friends? One Tamriel will be great in that you can do that. But currently while doing that you can farm the materials as you go, and craft the friend a nice thing. But if One Tamriel scales your nodes, and they are not a crafter to gather it themselves, will that also not be an option?

This one is very VERY concerned that at One Tamriel's launch all crafters, and indirectly anyone looking at purchasing a crafted set, will be at the mercy of those who happen to be gathering mats as they level up, as the option to 'farm' different tiers will no longer be an option without re-specing yourself to a lower crafting level.

Is this a true concern? Have the crafting devs already considered this? Is there something in the works khajiit has not heard, like 'downward refining' a material to a higher number of lower tier materials?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not heard what they are doing with the Leveling Zones. Also, there is a real gap in material needs now for Vet Ranks. Only players who have a newly minted Champ Character for the first time will have any use for Mats formerly used for intermediate Vet Ranks. Everyone else goes from Ebony to Ruby if they have enough points to gain CP160 once they reached L50.

No matter what happens, Mats are going to be need to be addressed. Personally, I would like to see a situation where we can use any Mats at any level, it just takes more of them to make higher tier items. I think the leveling zones should still have leveling mats scaled to the original zone levels, but battle leveled zones should be based on either character level or material passive level. The material leveling seems to work OK, other than the lack of Leathers.
    Edited by Nestor on July 5, 2016 5:12PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, the ones not 50+ are staying the same? Let this one double check that's true...

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/06/12/matt-firors-message-from-be3

Hum... this one thinks this means ALL zones will be 'battle scaled'.
    You will be able to explore the entire world in any sequence you wish - just walk across the world and you will always find appropriately leveled content.

Thus, the concerns. :):(
  • Calidus1
    Calidus1
    ✭✭
    Your concerns are valid if they start scaling the nodes like they now do Wrothgar etc. Nestor is simply saying they havn't confirmed they will be scaling nodes this way yet--if at all--we simply don't know. They could keep it the same, change it to Wrothgar Style, do something else... They said more info is coming about Tameriel 1, we will just have to wait
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This one thinks not scaling the same way might confuse those who come in after One Tamriel. If more info is coming, then that is good. :) Or, hopefully good, heh.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calidus1 wrote: »
    Your concerns are valid if they start scaling the nodes like they now do Wrothgar etc. Nestor is simply saying they havn't confirmed they will be scaling nodes this way yet--if at all--we simply don't know. They could keep it the same, change it to Wrothgar Style, do something else... They said more info is coming about Tameriel 1, we will just have to wait

Rich Lambert confirmed in a recent ElderScrollsOTR broadcast (28:30) that the nodes in One Tamriel will be like the battle-leveled areas now.

https://youtu.be/h9flYii2AQw?t=28m32s
    Megaservers: PC NA (sometimes) / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (mostly)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Shared My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    ESO Calendarmancer - Retired
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Lambert confirmed in a recent ElderScrollsOTR broadcast (28:30) that the nodes in One Tamriel will be like the battle-leveled areas now.

Ouch, yes, this one has big concerns about that then. That makes it effectively impossible for this one to craft for those not max level unless they happen to have the supplies.

(In addition to the growing concern of; more motifs being added, more max level items needing to be re-done just for looks, and having nowhere near enough yellow bits to do so.)
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will not matter for writs, since with Update 11 they are making top tier writs only need top tier materials.

It will be harsh on crafters though, as they can no longer farm their own materials and charge a premium for them. Lower levels in need of a crafter's services will have to supply the materials unless a crafter keeps a roster full of odd levelled characters (or, at least their crafting passives lower than max) so they can farm lower level stuff.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think scaling all mat nodes to char/skill is GOOD. The new leveling and account-wide gear levels after 50 means linear scaling only happens at 3-49. After that no telling how high the character jumps. Already now the ash and mahogony being farmed in locked zones is mostly useless or has a much lower need.

Like runestones, scaling serves the general demand better.

BUT...

There is for runestones a safety in the buy option at enchanters for the level control. Also they expanded the scope of a glyph, no upper limit.

Similar changes for mats would be...

Allow higher scaled mats to make lower level stuff. Ruby leather can sub for shadowhide.
    Sell mats at smiths and such.

Those would help cover the oddball cases.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Calidus1
    Calidus1
    ✭✭

https://youtu.be/h9flYii2AQw?t=28m32s

rough
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they discard low lvl mats from writs completely.

All hail the mighty Rubedo, Rubedite, Ancient Silk!
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If this doesn't change, it is really going to be problematic.

I craft for 5 guilds; three of them are new player friendly/oriented, and I make a lot of iron, steel, etc stuff. I also collect my own mats; heading to stonefalls for iron or to deshaan for steel is fine. I can take the same character to hew's bane/wrothgar to pick up the ruby level mats.

Writs are important; I make my fair share of gold off of them. But that isn't going to help the level 20 who needs new gear.

It would be nice if the non-vet levels stayed as they are now. Probably won't happen, so I guess I better look into buying those extra character slots for gathering minions instead of playing characters.... :waits for someone to start the conspiracy theories about the plot to make players who want to craft buy more character slots to get ZOS more cash from the crown store:
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it sounds like the most viable way to get low level mats is to have low level "gathering alts," which is just kind of ridiculous. Hopefully they'll give us a relatively painless way to find low-level mats without upsetting the entire economy (because can you imagine what low-level mats will start going for in the guild stores?). :/
    JKorr wrote: »
    :waits for someone to start the conspiracy theories about the plot to make players who want to craft buy more character slots to get ZOS more cash from the crown store:

This got an out-loud giggle-snort from me. :D It's a sad-but-true fact of the forums, sometimes.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will have to make sure I farm like the dickens between now and One Tamriel.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Serenityx
    Serenityx
    ✭✭✭
    Just from the few google searches I did on the one tamriel update it seems there is very little in depth info. Im sure ZOS will adjust the materials being dropped to whatever the character is able to use based off actual character level or based on their points in the materials respective craft skill line.

Either way, ZOS seemed to be aware of players wanting Mats dropped in a certain way in DLC zones so Im sure there will be a balanced resolution to your question in the actual game update.

TL;DR

There is not enough detail released about the one tamriel update to be concerned about the mechanics of materials dropping. ZOS has shown awareness of how Mats are dropped in accordance to players levels in scaled zones Im sure their will be a balance in that players will recieve materials they can use.
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I will have to make sure I farm like the dickens between now and One Tamriel.

This one would seriously like to avoid doing that. Again, this one thinks a 'downgrade' option, maybe on the refinement window, might be the best way to go. (And again, when downgrading the values would increase; say 1 rank 10 mat = 2-3 rank 9 mats, etc.)
    Serenityx wrote: »
    Just from the few google searches I did on the one tamriel update it seems there is very little in depth info. Im sure ZOS will adjust the materials being dropped to whatever the character is able to use based off actual character level or based on their points in the materials respective craft skill line.

As referenced above, that's what they say in the podcast. Which, again, is problematic for someone trying to gather for a lower level friend. It won't be an option.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    rabb1t_ESO wrote: »
    As referenced above, that's what they say in the podcast. Which, again, is problematic for someone trying to gather for a lower level friend. It won't be an option.

This is exactly the problem. I can’t believe it hasn’t occurred to them, but it would seem it hasn’t.

Basically there is going to be a ton of the highest and lowest level materials, while crafting for in between levels is going to become more difficult/expensive unless people start strategically choosing to partially level crafts on multiple characters in order to get the chance to gather different materials. While the motifs encourage you to just do crafting on one character, this system will cause these single crafting characters to no longer be able to gather all the materials they need themselves. Once all your characters have reached max level, your only choice if you want to craft for other people of different levels will be partially leveling crafts on your non-crafting characters.

And here’s a marketing consideration - won’t the craft bag loose some of it’s appeal once you are actually Unable to collect as many different materials? You won’t ‘need’ so many spaces because you probably won’t be collecting half as many different materials. It seems more likely you’ll just go buy those in between mats at a guild store before crafting rather than building up your own stocks of all the different ones.

Edited by Aelthwyn on July 14, 2016 9:30PM
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »
    Once all your characters have reached max level, your only choice if you want to craft for other people of different levels will be partially leveling crafts on you non-crafting characters.

That or respec and only take the crafting level to x, which is not max, harvest/farm, and then put the points all back in, doing that every time one wanted to farm a lower level mat. O.o
  • RandalMarrs
    RandalMarrs
    ✭✭✭
    Deconstruction of items to attain tier 9 materials. Less to sell but more for crafting.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rabb1t_ESO wrote: »
    ...or respec and only take the crafting level to x, which is not max, harvest/farm, and then put the points all back in, doing that every time one wanted to farm a lower level mat. O.o

Ouch - how painful would that be, especially since you cannot selectively reset skill points and have to reset all of them.

Some of the lower level material can be as expensive as higher end material now, hate to see how hard they will be to find or how much they will cost if this comes in.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have started stocking up, just to be safe.

It's the one part of One Tamriel that is really worrying me. I hope they find a better solution.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Right now with most of my characters operating in leveled zone here is whats happening (and why, no, this wont lower the value of craft bags.)

Right now every character basically grabs any mat they come across, if they aren't overly busy, and for those grabbing maxed skill they get maxed stuff. For those grabbing any of the other stuff, they get the low end stuff half the time, high end other. (All fows right away into craft bag !!!!!!!! and whoever does decon best does it whenevr convenient with no worry about inventory so - yeah craft bags.)

For my new low level characters, they grab whatever they come across too - tho they dont have keen eyes for all so much more hit and miss. if they are in a stupid fixed node zone they get whatever it is... whether it matches their level or need or not. If they are in a leveled zone they either get skill level (for them that means zero for now) or they get THEIR LEVEL APPROPRIATE. So even if they are over-leveled the zone by a tad, they can still get stuff useful now.

that works right fine.

once they hit 50 and make the jump right to cp160+ the fact that all my other character got cp150 tier stuff half the time even in crafts they didn't know will pay off big time.

Simply put the old style of fixed node zones works great for the old progression where EVERY character had to follow a strictly linear progression from 1 to VR16. Now that only 1-49 is strictly linear and after that you could warp to any level and frequently to the highest... that makes having 10 of your 15 zones locked to rigid linear progressions of mats a waste of space and content. I cant tell you how useless it is for me to go on a tamriel wide quest and grab mahogany or kresh. Fortunately craft bags means it just wastes my time not my spaces.

With us looking at the likely advance of more tamriel wide quest lines like we see in TG and DB, with as time goes on more and more folks not going from 49 to CP10 but 49 to Cp100 or 160 or anywhere in between, mat-locked-zones are a throwback to a wholly different progression scheme.

That said, liike they did with runestones already, for the odd cases here and there, i think they do need to do something to allow some exceptions. For runes they sell potencies at enchanters, letting you buy the lower level ones if you hit shortage.

For the other mats, that could work too OR they could allow high level mats to craft lower level gear... so your ruby ash could sub for mahogany vif you were feeding one of the fewer and fewer mid-tier characters. the demands for those will be much less than before in VR, but it will still exist.

I really think the only folks looking at any sort of shock to the system will be folks relying on crafting for rookies as a profit thing. now, it will be not so easy to charge for mats used.

IMO YMMV

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just leave the nodes the way they are now. Leave the 'standard' level nodes in the leveling areas and any new content, make it battle-leveled. I had the same thought as the OP as soon as I heard about Tamriel One and have talked with several of my guildies about it; we all agree this is a bad thing if we want to craft lower level items for alts/new guildies.

Why does ZOS continuely troll it's player base with wacky ideas like this? Isn't anyone thinking of this game globally and how it is played?
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't anyone thinking of this game globally and how it is played?

This one wonders too how leveling will feel overall. Previously if one wanted a greater challenge one could go to a higher level zone. Or, if one is a slowpaw, they could out level an area and have an easier time if that's what is needed. With everything scaled there is no option to change your 'difficulty setting'. This one worries new players may bore quickly leveling up, or find the odds much too difficult, as the difficulty change will be almost completely imperceptible and everything will seem the same all the way up.

But, that is a side concern, which doesn't go here. :)

Edited by rabb1t_ESO on July 19, 2016 9:01PM
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SolarCat02 wrote: »
    I have started stocking up, just to be safe.
    It's the one part of One Tamriel that is really worrying me. I hope they find a better solution.
    Just hope not the Guild Wars2 model, still better seems an actual competitive mode of harvesting than when people can harvest multiple times the same node.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    I was sure i read somewhere in the patch notes for pts about how writs would only use the highest tier of mats.
    I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I saw that(just cant find it now for some reason).. Would prob need a Zos staffer to come confirm or something.

But if this is the case, that would solve this dilemma.
  • Calidus1
    Calidus1
    ✭✭
    I was sure i read somewhere in the patch notes for pts about how writs would only use the highest tier of mats....

But if this is the case, that would solve this dilemma.

First this is coming in update 11, not Tamriel one.

Second, it will not solve the dilemma. The main dilemma is not being able to find mats lower than your crafting level.