The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Capes and cloaks

BruhItsOver9000
BruhItsOver9000
✭✭✭✭✭
When i play pve and see those statues that have Capes or cloaks, i cri evrytiem :'(.
WOOD ELF MASTER RACE.

• Smileybones
    Smileybones
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor BruhItsOver9000 !

*pets BruhItsOver9000*
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alas, it was never meant to be a trend amongst the Vestiges of Nirn.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • DaniAngione
    DaniAngione
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the Breton costume (at least in the CG) had a cloak. Nord too, but Nord cloak was removed - Breton seems to have kept its cloak, however. At least that's what we can see in the release announcement screenshot.

We'll see how it will look like in game, if it will be a proper cape or a coat of sorts.

If it works like a cape, well, that might be their first test. I remember some datamining long ago revealed what seemed like residues from cape items, not sure if anything new developed from that.

Either way, before some funny pumpkin comes quoting that Incredibles character "No capes!" please step aside and remember that
    1- capes are an intuitive and common piece of clothing meant for several purposes like protection from cold/snow/rain/sandstorms and such. ( Fur cloaks! <3 )
    2- There are cloaks in past TES games like Daggerfall, Arena, statues in Skyrim, etc...
    So, yes, Cloaks are lore-friendly and cloaks are cool. Take your cape-hate elsewhere and let us hope for a nice cloak with Breton costume! :D
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe capes and cloaks are a layering issue. Due to massive clipping, they were held back.
    PS4: NA - AD PSN: imnotanother (Artell Lyeselle)
    Stamina NightBlade 810+ CP - PvP/Trials/Dungeon Ready
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Vruci
    Vruci
    ✭✭
    So I'm gonna make the 'no capes' joke right? Totally chill, scrollin down the forum, feelin sorta clever, and then Elloa beat me to it D:

....well played Elloa... Well played.... ;)
    I have a god complex. Don't judge. Or do judge. I will thus proceed to smite you.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vruci wrote: »
    So I'm gonna make the 'no capes' joke right? Totally chill, scrollin down the forum, feelin sorta clever, and then Elloa beat me to it D:

....well played Elloa... Well played.... ;)

Yeah it's just like the Auction House meme. Expect the Auction Horse in those threads lol
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everytime I hear capes are to hard, clip to much, and so on... I look at the garbage fire that is DCUO and think... "They do capes np... why can't this game?"
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elloa wrote: »
    tumblr_ln3eord7HO1qdshi4o1_500.gif

Boring Elloa.
    I expected you to like more customization,Cloaks fit the medieval fantasy genre and it can look awesome
    Edited by Snowstrider on July 13, 2016 6:35AM
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eirikir wrote: »
    Everytime I hear capes are to hard, clip to much, and so on... I look at the garbage fire that is DCUO and think... "They do capes np... why can't this game?"

Its just an excuse because ZoS does everything perfect
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can the cloaks have an armor slot with added stats >:D
    Edited by FloppyTouch on July 13, 2016 8:33AM
  • Smileybones
    Smileybones
    ✭✭✭✭

Boring Elloa.
    I expected you to like more customization,Cloaks fit the medieval fantasy genre and it can look awesome

Hey don't call our beloved Elloa boring you bad bad @Snowstrider !
  • Melodina
    Melodina
    The capes in Dark Age of Camelot were great and you could "dye" them with your guild's heraldry. Nicer than the tabard covering your armour which you worked so hard to get, in my opinion :)
    - EU Servers (PC) -
    Dzarina the Dark Elf Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact), happily married to Tzariq
    Palthera Leo, the High Elf Healer (Ebonheart Pact)

A Humanitarian Vegetarian
    Sometimes, I sing: www.doxametal.com
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Boring Elloa.

Hey don't call our beloved Elloa boring you bad bad @Snowstrider !

No i do not think she is boring but i expected her to want more customization
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guild Embled Armourer

Put it on the shield too.

All you no cape minions say something bad about that idea
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they were to be implemented, I would like to see one ala the one from Final Fantasy

http://plamoya.com/bmz_cache/3/327ddf9162b8b5dcf82ccdfa9d267848.image.331x500.jpg
    Edited by Daemons_Bane on July 13, 2016 11:20AM
  • Leon119
    Leon119
    ✭✭✭✭
    No capes. Id rather have a character that doesnt look rediculous. The wings on the armors lately are pushing it...
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Luckily it's a free choice :wink:
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we have long coats instead?
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe its a engine thing. I don't think that it supports a dinamic cape.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    Guild Embled Armourer

They tried capes in alpha.

Apparently it just contributed to server side lag, as they wanted to do them properly with proper physics and it didn't work.

BOOM! ;)
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • kongkim
    kongkim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would really like to see this at some time :)
  • Malsidius
    Malsidius
    ✭✭✭

Boring Elloa.

Though the game depicts more of a Roman Empire genre, not medieval in my opinion - which began after the fall of the Western Roman Empire. If anything, I would say the game was in the midst of entering something of its version of entering the medieval period.

To stay on topic, graphically - I think the cape would probably look ugly, but to give the people what they want; it should be an optional appearance, like hats.
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    Duiwel wrote: »
    Guild Embled Armourer

They tried capes in alpha.

Apparently it just contributed to server side lag, as they wanted to do them properly with proper physics and it didn't work.

BOOM! ;)

I know that i have been pro cloaks and capes since the pc beta and have seen most about it.

Its really strange that an 2014 MMO cannot handle such simple thing, horrible engine?
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that i have been pro cloaks and capes since the pc beta and have seen most about it.

Its really strange that an 2014 MMO cannot handle such simple thing, horrible engine?

Yeah, ESO engine is horrible. It's because of it that we don't have underwater exploration/combat, dinamic ships. It's also the reason behind the clunky animations etc.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There were cloaks in ESO early alpha, it had a majorly negative impact on frames so they were scrapped before beta. If you go to youtube u can find video's of ESO Alpha play.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would love to see capes and cloaks! They are always a fun part of customizing the look of your character in other games and they even had them here very early on, alpha I believe. I know they've always said they aren't coming but I feel like all the statues added in newer zones that are wearing cloaks, Gold Coast for example, could be a hint that they are being added at some point. Maybe wishful thinking but I don't understand why they would model those on the statues if they never intend to add them into the game.
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    There were cloaks in ESO early alpha, it had a majorly negative impact on frames so they were scrapped before beta. If you go to youtube u can find video's of ESO Alpha play.

I just dont understand how such small thing like cloaks could have such negative impact on the game when much older games have no problem with them.

What is wrong with Esos engine??
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I just dont understand how such small thing like cloaks could have such negative impact on the game when much older games have no problem with them.

If you want your cloak to look like a piece of wood / long sheet of paper glued to your back Im sure it can be done with a very small hit to fps. Getting it to look like a proper cloak is much more resource intensive. In fact Im yet to see an MMO that does cloaks well.

On a related topic - I would love to see is ZOS making a coat mesh instead of painting coat textures onto the robe mesh thats already in game.
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on July 14, 2016 6:49AM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • BruhItsOver9000
    BruhItsOver9000
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want your cloak to look like a piece of wood / long sheet of paper glued to your back Im sure it can be done with a very small hit to fps. Getting it to look like a proper cloak is much more resource intensive. In fact Im yet to see an MMO that does cloaks well.

On a related topic - I would love to see is ZOS making a coat mesh instead of painting coat textures onto the robe mesh thats already in game.

DCUO NUFF SAID.
    WOOD ELF MASTER RACE.