Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player - when to do DLC?

mashugana
mashugana
I am new to ESO - never had a character above level 14. I am enjoying the content like mad. However, I keep getting asked to go on the DLC quests - Orsinium, Thieves Guild, and the Brotherhood. My assumption is I ignore them until I've seen all the launch content, yes? I worry that if I do Orsinium quests I'll outlevel content I have not see in the original release.

What do you think?
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The gear rewards in Dark Brotherhood quests aren't that great, so if you want to come back and do repeatable content there it won't be a loss in gear quality. This is not to say that the great is TERRIBLE, I just don't see anyone using Sithis equipment as BiS, pretty much ever. Thieves Guild actually offers some pretty cool gear in its line up so I personally would consider holding back on doing that, but then again I like the Bahraha set. Orsinium has a lot of repeatable content where you can acquire some good gear, so I wouldn't worry too much about that either.

You might want to play one character with your friends in these zones, and another to run the story content normally. There is something to be said for running the base storyline on a character and just enjoying that. The real truth though is that the answer you want depends a lot upon what you personally like. When I started the game I levelled from 1 to almost 40 in Cyrodiil the first time around. I then went back with that character and did every storyline bit I could find from Auridon to Coldharbor. My personal desire is to suck out every bit of enjoyment I can get out of the game, and I happen to like story, pvp, even dungeoneering when the mood hits me. The real question is what do you like? There's no real harm in doing the DLC quest, but like I said you get purple loot boxes from doing the storylines. It can all be reacquired though from doing repeatable missions though.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally,

I finish the story, then silver and gold. Went to Orsinium because I am an Orc and its a blast. I havent touched thieves guild yet. I just don't like to sneak. lol.

DB is fun, I finishing most of it in 2 days. But the dailies give me 1 CP a day, so I always do them, plus I sell the gear in the reward boxes all day.

Just finish everything with your first character and then pick what you want with the others.
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DLCs are best after the content, simply because you will have enough skill points to invest in the passives from those DLCs.

I would wait on Wrothgar until you have reached CP160 or so. By then, you will start to see a fall off in exp if your battling over leveled mobs (basically the first two zones of Silver which is when you go off and do other Alliance content when you finish your own). Wrothgar is great for earning experience so you want to save it for when it will do the most benefit, which is post 160. This way your using the lower and middle level zones when you get the most experience from their content.

Thieves can be fun and of the DLCs, probably the one to do the earliest, especially if your going to do a lot of crime (although you don't need any TG passives to be an accomplished Thief in the game)

Also, TG and DB will send you back to Zones you did for the Alliance content, and if you have unlocked Silver and Gold content, then you have more places to be sent to for those jobs.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• schwarzman1
    schwarzman1
    ✭✭✭
    I played the main story first however, I recommend you check out the Imperial City. Lots of fun with a group and a great way to earn XP!

Enjoy!
    PS4 NA AD
    PSN: schwarzman1
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Thanks all
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do what sounds interesting to you. If you do DLC first you might over level for your starter faction content, but that problem will go away with one tamriel update in the fall.