Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Seeking some advice please

WildSide
WildSide
Hello all,

Recently i started playing the game again, and picked back up my NB. I leveled this guy as a sap tank, and when i played back at the launch for console i always did pretty well with it, was able to tank all the vet dungeons that were available at the time and usually was met with positive feedback from group members on how they felt i did. I recall that it was always understood that the tank in ESO is going to hold the big bad guys, and a handful of the smaller ones, but holding aggro on the entire pack is not needed as dps should be able to handle the smaller mobs easily enough. When i returned, i have had a much harder time with aggro than i remember ever having before, and i have been running into a lot of people telling me you simply CANT tank as a NB anymore, reroll DK or stop tanking. Even the guild my friend has pulled me into, they guild leader and the main/only tank in the guild, pulled me aside and explained how happy they were to have someone else who liked tanking in the guild, but that if i really wanted to tank for the guild, i needed to re-roll DK.

Is this pretty well true? Does the community as a whole disregard any but DK tanks now? Do i listen and reroll? or should i keep at it and just try and find a different guild with people more open to different class makeups?

I am just very frustrated as one of the things i loved about the game before was how open ended the class system was, and anyone could do anything, and am not sure how i feel about re-rolling to "THE" tank class. I love and always will be a tank....but i don't really want to re-roll if i don't have to...

Thanks for the feedback!
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope. My NB tanked prison with ease. Don't go for sap tanking though. It's crap. Just max stats into stamina and do it that way. Armour master set with immovable and shuffle is all you really need with a taunt on and bolstering darkness for 60% damage reduction and heroic slash for 15% reduction too and ulti regen. Most mobs go down too easy anyway, leave them and focus on the bosses. Dps should generally mobs ranged ads first and then everything else.

If they can't handle adds then they are doing something wrong. There is only so much a tank can tank.

Caltrops though are great for attracting attention. Chuck them into a mob and watch them all come at you.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • WildSide
    WildSide
    alright, thanks! I will just keep at it, and if they dont like it i will find a new guild. Appreciate the advice!
  • Semner
    Semner
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I understand it, NB tanks are some of the best in the game. I run Black Rose on mine and he's able to tank just about everything - WGT, ICP, you name it. As a NB tank you want to play to your strengths, namely resource management/self-healing. Run Siphoning Attacks and weave light attacks in there with your CC, taunts and damage abilities.

If I recall correctly my bars are something like:

1: Inner Beast
    2: Funnel Health
    3: Twisting Path
    4: Mirage
    5: Mass Hysteria
    U: Veil of Blades

1: Pierce Armor
    2: Sap Essence
    3: Dark Shades
    4: Siphoning Attacks
    5: Piercing Mark
    U: Veil of Blades

Of course, mine is usually run as a DPS magblade, but he tanks just fine as well.