Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Announcing The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Edition"

• BGruchallab14_ESO
    BGruchallab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    If you buy an Imperial Edition and activate it on an account that already has the base game, it just adds the Imperial perks to your account.

If this works the same way, then you can just buy a Gold Edition and activate it on an existing account to get all the DLCs. No need to start up a new account, unless you actually want a second account...

Can I get an Official word on this tho??, Don't want to buy without knowing or not.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is more focused on upselling to console players who think that a new edition with a shiny metal attached to its name is somehow superior to the original version.

Go ahead guys, preorder a game that will be incomplete and unplayable out of the box when it arrives. Whenever you can preorder. Definitely isn't today.

The intelligent move on PC would have been to offer a promotional free digital download of the game (for new players) or 6000 bonus crowns (for existing players) with a 6 month subscription during September.

There are few things more disappointing than people who can't be creative while marketing their intellectual property. You may as well flush the enthusiasm you were hoping for down the toilet.
    signing off
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    This is more focused on upselling to console players who think that a new edition with a shiny metal attached to its name is somehow superior to the original version.

Go ahead guys, preorder a game that will be incomplete and unplayable out of the box when it arrives. Whenever you can preorder. Definitely isn't today.

The intelligent move on PC would have been to offer a promotional free digital download of the game (for new players) or 6000 bonus crowns (for existing players) with a 6 month subscription during September.

There are few things more disappointing than people who can't be creative while marketing their intellectual property. You may as well flush the enthusiasm you were hoping for down the toilet.

Bethesda Softworks markets boxed games and sells boxes. That is what they know, that is what they do, and that is what they are comfortable with. This is why they are selling the ESO Gold Editon. It is another box to attract new players that specifically addresses the "I want the game, but I don't want to buy all the DLC for it" people. They did it with Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fallout 3, and I am sure they will do it with Fallout 4 when the time is right.

(And yes, I do mean Bethesda Softworks)
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • phobossion
    phobossion
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect them to offer a "4 DLC pack" in the Crown store as well once this hits the shelves.
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bethesda Softworks markets boxed games and sells boxes. That is what they know, that is what they do, and that is what they are comfortable with. This is why they are selling the ESO Gold Editon. It is another box to attract new players that specifically addresses the "I want the game, but I don't want to buy all the DLC for it" people. They did it with Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fallout 3, and I am sure they will do it with Fallout 4 when the time is right.

(And yes, I do mean Bethesda Softworks)

Makes plenty of sense.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda Softworks markets boxed games and sells boxes. That is what they know, that is what they do, and that is what they are comfortable with.

You make the same profit off two boxes that retailers sell for you as you do one digital download that you sell yourself.

For a company that seems bent on just pushing theme park tickets to anyone with a rear end, they're not being terribly efficient at it.
    signing off
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda Softworks markets boxed games and sells boxes. That is what they know, that is what they do, and that is what they are comfortable with.

You make the same profit off two boxes that retailers sell for you as you do one digital download that you sell yourself.

For a company that seems bent on just pushing theme park tickets to anyone with a rear end, they're not being terribly efficient at it.

Just to be clear, when I say "boxes" I mean physical boxes and digital downloads. Aye, they make more selling digital copies in their store than they do selling physical boxes at Game Stop, but they are the same thing to me.
  • FlaviusPK
    FlaviusPK
    ✭✭✭
    The only important thing, that this is still not an Imperial Edition, while Imperial race is really important thing for some builds for example. As for the zones etc, that's why I pay for ESO+ and feel immune to such news.
  • atreides
    atreides
    ✭✭
    Fukutsu wrote: »
    This feels kind of like a middle finger. I am a newer player, and I have just recently paid for the base game, and all of those DLCs too. Now everything I paid for will be part of the base game purchase . I could have saved a lot of money. IT EVEN COMES WITH A MOUNT!

Great for new players, but not sure why you're so excited to put this in my game launcher menu. I like what you're doing for the game, but this being part of my "eso news" was stupid imo.

We can't predict these type of things, I suppose would of been cool to get a heads up but if you bought the base game it would of been 20-30 dollars right? I recently bought my nephew the Xbox One version for him and it cost me 40 for the imperial edition and that was about month ago.
  • atreides
    atreides
    ✭✭
    No love for existing players...

To buy all the 4 DLC's it costs 9,500 crown. So if you buy (2) 5,500 crown packs for 39.99 each then that's $79.98. So, ya, great for new players but what about existing people? I bought the Imperial Edition as well (as soon as it was released) and got 0 included DLC's. I do understand that for a new player it would suck to drop 50 bucks on the game then 80 on expansion packs but hey, isn't that the way it typically works anyway? It's what I did. It would be nice if some thought would be given to existing players/account holders.

Problem: Player has been with the game for a long time, has got several champion 160 characters but owns no DLC's packs. To get them it would cost $79.98 or start a new account with new characters (which would suck) for $59.99.

Solution: You have to reduce the cost of the DLC's that are out there for people who are not gold edition buyers. If the 4 DLC's go down to say, 750 crown each the player would able to get them all for 3,000 crowns (or $39.99). Future DLC's can be 2k like the majority of them are.

The gold edition is still cheaper then buying everything through the crown store. Why should ZMO lower prices for dlc? imo the prices are fine and 20 dollar cut is only a good thing.
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain't mad, all I see is easy pickings in pvp ^^
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So people can spend $60 to buy a more broken game than at launch on conole?
  • Aliniel
    Aliniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is amazing when it comes to new players. Unless they want ESO+ in which case it's useless. Also, don't forget about your old players. How about some loyalty reward? :)
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many of these new players will stick around when they realise that the devs have no interest in resolving long-standing issues?
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • SlimWhitman
    SlimWhitman
    Soul Shriven
    This bloody awful news. I'm within my first month of the game, already an ESO+ subscriber since the first few days. Don't get me wrong, this isn't to be the sort of hateful rant only Blizzard deserves, but I'm feeling shockingly ambivalent about this.

Instinct for a bargain combined with about a hundred petty annoyances from my first month makes me want to cancel ESO+ right now before it bills again, and uninstall the game. This is a vastly cheaper option for getting all the DLC, and I've already been struggling to justify the price of ESO+. Crafting bag inspires the sort of hyperbolic hatred that is impossible to express appropriately.

But honestly, I wanted some of that crown store loot. If I drop now, I miss out on the Breton Hero outfit, which I'd already decided I wanted enough to wait another month to buy a camel. And the wolfhound is going away, so I'll lose the chance to get it. Grrrr, very annoying. I wouldn't just buy crowns to get vanity crap, but ESO+ was a great way to play DLC's and get vanity crap.

50/50 that I cancel ESO+ tonight. 100% chance I cancel ESO+ as soon as I get my next pile of crowns in three days. I'm not paying $15 a month for access to DLC they're going to pawn off for $10 each. If they don't offer a $39.99 Gold Upgrade to existing players, I'll find a game that wants my money. It's not like we're living in a great shortage of MMO's.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you're starting with gold... the next one will logically be platinum... then...? :tongue:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So seeing were in the trend of re-releasing the game every 12 months I guess we get The Elder Scrolls Online Definite Edition next year when One Tamriel launches (unless that is a separate retail launch) and perhaps in 2018 we will have a re-mastered edition followed by ESO VR Nirn in 2019... so many exciting games coming out in the same universe :)
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Coolits
    Coolits
    ✭✭✭
    phobossion wrote: »
    I would expect them to offer a "4 DLC pack" in the Crown store as well once this hits the shelves.

I hope this is the case ;)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I would like to see that. Considering the price of the Gold Edition, I would expect such a bundle, were it to exist, to cost around 6000 Crowns.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Agreed. I would like to see that. Considering the price of the Gold Edition, I would expect such a bundle, were it to exist, to cost around 6000 Crowns.

They have crown place holders for DLC Bundles (datamined) so I'd say they would release them around the same time.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see some people are still shocked and outraged by the existence of discounts and bundles. Oh internet, never change.
  • Andreakos
    Andreakos
    ✭✭✭
    Please, also add a pack for all the DLC's from Website / in-game store, so who only owns the game, can purchase them directly.
  • Greifenherz
    Greifenherz
    ✭✭✭
    Does this edition include the Imperial race? If not then this is hardly a gold edition.
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody knew that down the line, this offer would popup. And ever further down the line, the DLCs will most likely become available freely to non-ESO Plus players too. But before that happens, there will probably be some promotion pack where you can buy the 4 DLCs as an existing customer.

No surprises here... just smart business practises.

And ofcourse there will always be people that get screwed because they bought something just before the promotion. that's life.. and just think, it could have been worse.. imagine the people that bought a Geforce TITAN right before the GTX1080 was released... now that must hurt.
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am i like, one of the few who doesn't feel a negative emotional response to a company bundling their product and selling it how they desire?

It's funny how i only ever see dialogue of this nature online, I've never seen anyone in a physical store complain about buying something a week before, and then the item goes on sale now and expect to get something back out of it... Yet i have seen it a lot online on forums for various games, even people screaming bloody murder that they paid full price on launch and 2 years later it's on sale...

Just today i bought 'The Technomancer' I got a good deal on it. I feel as though if people in real life were like online, i'd be leaving the store in a body bag from the next person who buys it and didn't get a similar deal.

Just be happy if this bundled copy increases the player base, across 3 systems with 2 mega servers each, that's separate worlds of people playing the same thing. (Unless they eventually go cross-platform now that it seems to be a more plausible hope lately)
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skcarkden wrote: »
    Am i like, one of the few who doesn't feel a negative emotional response to a company bundling their product and selling it how they desire?
    Look at Steam. At least twice a year they do massive sales and discount a huge chunk of their catalog. Sales and incentives are the name of the game. Doesn't stop people from buying games and it tends to attract new audiences.

This bundle is a good thing. Still, I think they should bring back subscriber rewards as an additional incentive to subscribe. Even if it's a yearly bonus I think it would add to the allure.
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, this will bring in new players and that's always a good thing for a MMO. Second, when you buy a game, do you really expect it to stay the same price forever? Games get Gold Editions and/or get cheaper with time so deal with it. Yes, many of us paid full price for everything but we've also been enjoying the game for months/years. If you just bought the game well that's not Zenimax's problem. Finally, I'm sure there will be a crown pack sale for existing players so calm down.
    Edited by Leogon on July 7, 2016 11:48AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So seeing were in the trend of re-releasing the game every 12 months I guess we get The Elder Scrolls Online Definite Edition next year when One Tamriel launches (unless that is a separate retail launch) and perhaps in 2018 we will have a re-mastered edition followed by ESO VR Nirn in 2019... so many exciting games coming out in the same universe :)

Yes, because they need to bring in new players and those new players need to buy the game. As has been said in here many times, with each new DLC, the expense to "own the game" climbs. To keep the game alive, they need new players, not just a pool of existing players that continually gets smaller due to natural attrition.

I expect that every 12 to 18 months there will be some package deal for the game to attract attention and bring in new players.

For existing players, I am sure they have a plan to do something. We all know they don't announce anything until they are good and ready, so we won't hear about it until then. There are already existing players who are not ESO Plus that find the idea of buying the 4 DLC packages daunting. I expect that they will announce a Crown Gold DLC Bundle for the 4 DLC when they get around to telling us. As far as I am concerned, the only unknown is whether this will be a persistent package or a limited offer.
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    Skcarkden wrote: »
    Look at Steam. At least twice a year they do massive sales and discount a huge chunk of their catalog. Sales and incentives are the name of the game. Doesn't stop people from buying games and it tends to attract new audiences.

This bundle is a good thing. Still, I think they should bring back subscriber rewards as an additional incentive to subscribe. Even if it's a yearly bonus I think it would add to the allure.

With the way you responded to my post, it seems like you think i was talking against the bundle deal o.O

I'm not. I'm for it, i know sales are a normal part of life. :S
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if these new players are going to have all of the current DLC zones automatically and permanently, how are you going to market ESO+ to them? 1500 Crowns a month and the crafting bag don't really hit that $15 a month value spot imo. At this rate, you will need to put out at least 2 more DLC's for to make up for not having the original 4 provided by the subscription. For the next 6+ foreseeable months, the value just isn't there.