The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should Inferno and morphs proc more often?

UltimaJoe777
UltimaJoe777
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So yeah, topic.
Edited by UltimaJoe777 on June 29, 2016 2:09AM
Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy

Should Inferno and morphs proc more often? 32 votes

Yes, 5 seconds between procs is no good.
68%
ArmitasLightspeedflashb14_ESOBirdovicRajajshkaLynx7386alkodavAnhedoniexylenaADarkloreLarianaVaohleepalmer95DRXHarbingerSanSanAcsvfToc de MalsviLadyNalcaryaBeardimuslucky_SageArchMikem 22 votes
No, 5 seconds between procs is fine.
25%
KasDschiPeuntInstantAverageJo3Gam3rAutolycussusmitdsAmdar_Godkillerclv 8 votes
I just want the Critical Rate buffs...
6%
SnatchezAnil235 2 votes
  • AlexHo1982
    AlexHo1982
    ✭✭
    I voted "yes", since that would be slightly better. But I really think this skill should be reworked entirely.
  • Birdovic
    Birdovic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a proc every 3 sec is okay for what its doing.
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just press it every 6 seconds, and you will get one fireball every 3 seconds on average. Flames of Oblivion is still the most OP DK attack in the game. Used correctly, it should add 4-5K to your DPS 
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES. Make the fireball hit every 2.5 or 3 seconds instead. Or better yet, make it act like the Templar Flare with a short cast time, so you can fire it with each activation.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    YES. Make the fireball hit every 2.5 or 3 seconds instead. Or better yet, make it act like the Templar Flare with a short cast time, so you can fire it with each activation.

No class skill should ever step on the grounds of a class skill of another class.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes or reworked entirely. We are at round 3 of ZOS failing to complete this T5 skill. They turned a really cool looking skill to a red mage light clone and gave the cool part to sorcs as hurricane.

Also it bugs out the max magicka of mage light so you can't even have it on the same bar.
    Edited by Armitas on June 29, 2016 3:43PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just press it every 6 seconds, and you will get one fireball every 3 seconds on average. Flames of Oblivion is still the most OP DK attack in the game. Used correctly, it should add 4-5K to your DPS 

I'm not sure how you arrived at these numbers but a cursory look seems to suggest that you are pretty far off. I get 5.6k reg and 8.4k crit hits every 5s, but for the sake of clarity lets just pretend they actually hit for 10k. You get 4 proc's per use so thats 40k over 15s which is awesome but in no way equates to 4-5k dps. DPS is damage per Second, at 40k over 15s, you get a 2.6k DPS increase which isn't 4-5k.

However that was with increasing the numbers from actual performance to make them easier to handle. Let's pretend I crit 75% of the time, that's 3 ticks of 8.4k and 1 tick of 5.6k on average. Which would net 30.8k total damage and 2.05k dps. Still a very strong DoT but I don't see anything close to 4.5k dps increase. It would need to be hitting an average of 16.8k per tick to equate to 4.5k dps.
    Edited by Toc de Malsvi on June 29, 2016 4:10PM
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ^ the tool tip doesn't mention the initial cast sets one off and then you get 3 extra casts. It's 4 in total isn't it.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • WatchYourSixx
    WatchYourSixx
    ✭✭✭✭
    With full end game gear, and end game raid buffs, flames of oblivion hits up to 23k. I run a 100% uptime on foo during my rotations though, and 17th it hitting for that much, the most it's ever done was 3k dps. For it to be 4-5k dps, it would have too hit on average about 20k. Mine averages about 14-15k.

As far as having it proc faster.. I think it should just be changed entirely. Make it like the fire cloaks of skyrim
    The only thing to fear is, fear itself. - FDR

CP 800
    PC NA

- Maximus the Marksman (AD) Temp
    - Rex the Unstoppable Force (DC) DK
    - Sodor Dragonfire (DC) DK
    - Masha'Dar Shadow-Paw (DC) NB
    - Magnus the Mage (DC) Sorc
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how you arrived at these numbers but a cursory look seems to suggest that you are pretty far off. I get 5.6k reg and 8.4k crit hits every 5s, but for the sake of clarity lets just pretend they actually hit for 10k. You get 4 proc's per use so thats 40k over 15s which is awesome but in no way equates to 4-5k dps. DPS is damage per Second, at 40k over 15s, you get a 2.6k DPS increase which isn't 4-5k.

However that was with increasing the numbers from actual performance to make them easier to handle. Let's pretend I crit 75% of the time, that's 3 ticks of 8.4k and 1 tick of 5.6k on average. Which would net 30.8k total damage and 2.05k dps. Still a very strong DoT but I don't see anything close to 4.5k dps increase. It would need to be hitting an average of 16.8k per tick to equate to 4.5k dps.

Yeah I mistakenly added an extra fireball. 

Typically I run a 10-11 second rotation. That gives me the initial fireball plus the 5 second 
    and 10 second fireball every 10-11 seconds. 

Mine have base damage of 6600 (was 7500 pre-DB) and crit for 10K+. 

Half of these will critl crit, so I'm getting around 8.5K every 3.5 seconds 
    or so; so basically 2.5K DPS.

Still, for that's better than most of my dots.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I miss flame cloak. It should have been the DK version of Hurricane or Boundless Lightning honestly, and that would have been an easy and reasonable/logical change for them. I'm not suggesting they pair armor with the skill, but simply have it appear and operate similarly as a click-ability that might also add its little crit bonus or what-have-you. Speaking of which I wish we could use frost cloaks, or any of these kinds of skills. These conversations make me long for better spell/skill selection and an opening up beyond classes.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on June 29, 2016 10:35PM
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    Drop the damage per fireball in half and let it fire twice as often. Doesn't change any actual DPS numbers, but it would make the skill *feel* more useful.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ^ the tool tip doesn't mention the initial cast sets one off and then you get 3 extra casts. It's 4 in total isn't it.

Yeah, just like Entropy except for Entropy being 6 seconds.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to rework inferno entirely. It should be called flame cloak with an animation similar to hurricane but with flames (but without the expanding animation). Base skill should be called obscuring smoke and should grant major evasion for 8 seconds. Morph 1 should be called flame cloak which adds a DoT for anyone who stands in the radius. The damage should work out to what inferno provides right now. The other morph should be called cauterizing flames and grant an HoT to anyone in the radius.

The crit bonus is redundant with magelight and magelight gives extra DPS anyways with max magicka bonus.
    Edited by AverageJo3Gam3r on June 30, 2016 4:14PM
  • Instant
    Instant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flames of Oblivion is the best dps spell magDKs have.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they need to rework the skill a weak dot with 5 sec procs is crap
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be willing to lean either way on this one, tbh. If we are to keep the skills exactly as they are now, and simply increase the proc rate so that it occurs, say once every 3-4s, I would welcome the change.

That being said, I feel it's not quite so black-and-white. Cauterize, for example, could remain at 5s as it is now, but allowing it to target the caster would make it substantially more useful (especially considering its sub-par range and that it's limited to a single target per tick/cast).

But then we look at Flames of Oblivion, and while it does reasonable damage, it's largely outpaced by a number of other skills. Now, I haven't done some in-depth analysis to compare the damage of FOO to that of every other remotely comparable magicka-based DoT, but I am inclined to believe it pales in comparison to most other single-target DoT abilities, especially once we account for the inability to dictate the target (unless there is only one). It makes sense to me that such an uncontrollable ability would be offset by a more frequent proc rate, but I would also be willing to accept other alternatives.
    Edited by Autolycus on July 1, 2016 8:00PM
  • SanSan
    SanSan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would Flame of Oblivion be good for a DW stamina build?
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SanSan wrote: »
    Would Flame of Oblivion be good for a DW stamina build?

Flames of Oblivion goes by your higher Damage rating. However, it's still Flame Damage so Stamina builds may find it a bit less convenient in terms of DPS.
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty solid for DPS if you have any points into Thaumaturge. I only put 20 points there right now and I get 5.4k regular hits and 8.4k crits, with 4 hits per cast its an easy 24k+ Dot even as stamina. Ranging between 21k-33k depending on total crits, it is a very competitive Dot even for Stamina Builds. I don't think it used to be, I'm not sure when I changed but after arguing with someone on here about it recently I went an checked its damage and its actually quite good even for stamina.
    Templar's are evil..
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said I would like to see proc's more often at least from an aesthetic appeal stance. They could halve the damage and double the proc's and it would put out the same but feel much better.
    Edited by Toc de Malsvi on July 2, 2016 6:17AM
    Templar's are evil..