The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

would removing ticks would cause less lag?

Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Fights build up at keeps for many reasons. People don't leave that place for one reason. Ticks.

Discuss.

What would you replace them with. How can pvp be viable rewarded without encouraging 60+ people in the same place waiting for a tick then leaving together.

Imo there should be an AP buff around a keeps location to encourage wanting to maintain control of it.
Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on June 28, 2016 9:57AM
@Solar_Breeze
NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think taking away the ticks would help.
    I am more in favor of temporary removing or adjusting the Emperor system, as last Emp keeps cause the highest possible amount of lag from what I've seen. Coupled with the fact that siege defense in keeps is pretty strong these days, those kinda fights can take hours. And they're awful for the whole map, no matter where.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wollust wrote: »
    I don't think taking away the ticks would help.
    I am more in favor of temporary removing or adjusting the Emperor system, as last Emp keeps cause the highest possible amount of lag from what I've seen. Coupled with the fact that siege defense in keeps is pretty strong these days, those kinda fights can take hours. And they're awful for the whole map, no matter where.

This wouldn't really help. It's not just last emp keeps which can build up like this. Scroll keeps, factions last keep, emp take attempts. The issue is that people don't push another keep BECAUSE the don't want to miss the tick there. Not because they want to defend emp.
    @Solar_Breeze
  • Cinnamon_Spider
    Cinnamon_Spider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should always remove ticks immediately to avoid lyme disease.
    Cinn #SorcLivesMatter
    Exquisite Bedlam - Sorcerer AD rank 34
    Cinnamonspiderdreams - Sorcerer EP rank 24
    Synaris Astarte - Templar DC rank 24
    Cinnamon Spider - Nightblade AD

Youtube - Cinnamon_Spider
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you took part in the battle and then moved away you should still get a tick, the whole waiting on tick really throws a wrench into the flow of battle, I wish they had a better way of doing the whole tick thing.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you took part in the battle and then moved away you should still get a tick, the whole waiting on tick really throws a wrench into the flow of battle, I wish they had a better way of doing the whole tick thing.

Agreed but let's face it they haven't done this yet and it's likely they can't so removing them and giving incentives to fight around the map and attack/defend multiple keeps might be a way to go. The issue is for example the entire faction is in the last keep rest of the map is taken without resistance then every player in cyro ends up at a keep just because the defenders would never push out the original attackers for fear of losing the tick...
    @Solar_Breeze
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Errr... not sure - if the game is supposed to be about keep/resource attack & defence then the reward system needs to reward good player behaviour and right now that is done by rewarding good sized AP rewards for successful teams at keeps. The delay, as far as we know, is to make sure the defenders have really won because attack ticks come as soon as the keep flips.

Sometimes we'll leave a tick behind if we're in danger of losing other keeps but TBH no-one likes to do that because AP is the currency of Cyrodiil and the way we rank up...

So what do you do instead?

You could provide a regular tick every x minutes of attack and defence based on number of deaths on the opposing side so the cost of moving fast after the battle is done is not so painful? Might be good for those with crashy clients too who would not lose the whole tick just because they crashed in the last glorious lagfest...

Maybe tick gets scaled for how much of the battle you were there for instead of being a big number that is simply divided by the number of people in range when it does tick... I've seen people get crazy numbers when groups actually do leave after a siege and they get the combined tick for the whole battle....

But all this stuff would probably eat server cpu and cost us in lag...

GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly the problem. There are other ways to incentivise keep gameplay. It shouldn't be just because the tick hasn't come yet.

Lag gets worse the longer a keep is under attack because people don't leave there. Anything which is done would be better.
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on June 28, 2016 11:31AM
    @Solar_Breeze
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O and D ticks aren't the cause of lag problems unfortunately. It's pretty much everything else. In Azura we have pretty big fights with minimal to no lag. There was a 3 faction fight yesterday at Ash that went on for about 45 minutes with no lag issues at all.All in all, there were probably about 60-90 people there.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    O and D ticks aren't the cause of lag problems unfortunately. It's pretty much everything else. In Azura we have pretty big fights with minimal to no lag. There was a 3 faction fight yesterday at Ash that went on for about 45 minutes with no lag issues at all.All in all, there were probably about 60-90 people there.

I've been on NA Azura Siege battles doesn't really count as actual combat
    @Solar_Breeze
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've also been on Trueflame with 30v30 that completely lags out the server. That can occur in an open field where there's no calculations for AP other than enemy player deaths. It's not the Ticks that cause the problem.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I've also been on Trueflame with 30v30 that completely lags out the server. That can occur in an open field where there's no calculations for AP other than enemy player deaths. It's not the Ticks that cause the problem.

I'm not saying the tick is whats actually causing the lag. I'm saying that its the behaviour it encourages, stacking in one place on the map, having big fights that never end there
    @Solar_Breeze