Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Different paths for levelling alts - (Addition - self-imposed rules)

Magenpie
Magenpie
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi there

I've recently come back to the game and I'm an alt-o-holic. I like jumping around my characters in mmos, and like lots of people, have different stories and ideas for them. However, I find the very fixed quest paths through each ESO faction a bit frustrating, just because I don't have much freedom to go where I want, to find other ways of levelling my various alts. I wondered if there were different ways of doing it, like only doing Fighter's Guild quests, dungeons and exploring (for example.) I'd just rather not see the same stories over and over again. Can I ignore the main quest too if I don't care about grabbing all the points?

I don't need to level fast, I'm not into PvP and I'm not a kit-hound, but I'd rather not have to really struggle through fights. I don't mind if I have to use my brain about them, I just don't want it to be tiresome. I'd rather not spend ages grinding mobs either.

So I wondered if other people have different ways of leveling their alts, and if you had any advice?

Many thanks :)
Edited by Magenpie on June 8, 2016 2:57PM
  • Alvar
    Alvar
    ✭✭✭
    Questing, as you suggested, and agree that it can get old.
    Grinding (worse yet IMO).
    Undaunted random dungeons (extra 135k/day or so if you do 2).
    DLC's... such as world bosses in Wroth, delv dailies in Wroth, and heists/other continuous quests in TG. I'm guessing there is more in DB as well, I haven't started that yet.
    If you're in a large social or PVE guild, running 4 man dungeons, vDSA and 12 man trials might be something that's interesting to you. Possibly doing the quests/story in craglorn as well.
    You also do get minimal exp for daily writs.

You can ignore the main quest all together, but you'll be locked out of the other 2 factions on that toon, since the quest line is the level 45 gate for that content. You will miss a lot of skyshards doing so, as well as the story line skill points. If you're not into PVP, you may find yourself gimped pretty good without those skill points. I suggest at least doing the main story line all the way through, and hitting the delvs in each zone. Skip the side quests if you're tired of them (although they do give decent CP/exp).
    You can't sprint and use abilities at the same time.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alvar wrote: »
    You can ignore the main quest all together, but you'll be locked out of the other 2 factions on that toon, since the quest line is the level 45 gate for that content.

@Alvar

Actually, this is no longer the case. I have an Alt that has only done the first quest or two in the MQ and has full access to Silver and Gold content. You only need to complete the last zone of the leveling content to unlock "Messages Across Tamriel". I don't even think you have to do much of the last zones content, but enough to do the last quest for that zone. I am not sure if you have to actually have the Triumvirate meeting or not, but I did and I just finished Silver on my Alt and have full access to all zones, and their quests and content for each zone.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Questing, as you suggested, and agree that it can get old.
    Grinding (worse yet IMO).
    Undaunted random dungeons (extra 135k/day or so if you do 2).
    DLC's... such as world bosses in Wroth, delv dailies in Wroth, and heists/other continuous quests in TG. I'm guessing there is more in DB as well, I haven't started that yet.
    If you're in a large social or PVE guild, running 4 man dungeons, vDSA and 12 man trials might be something that's interesting to you. Possibly doing the quests/story in craglorn as well.
    You also do get minimal exp for daily writs.

You can ignore the main quest all together, but you'll be locked out of the other 2 factions on that toon, since the quest line is the level 45 gate for that content. You will miss a lot of skyshards doing so, as well as the story line skill points. If you're not into PVP, you may find yourself gimped pretty good without those skill points. I suggest at least doing the main story line all the way through, and hitting the delvs in each zone. Skip the side quests if you're tired of them (although they do give decent CP/exp).

Exactly the kind of thing I was after. Thanks, Alvar!

I've also switched off the quest trackers etc for all but my main 3 faction 'questers' and playing as I would in other TES games. Makes a big difference for me!

Thanks again.
  • RandalMarrs
    RandalMarrs
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you get those dolmens.
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can agree with you that the main storyline is painful having run it five times.

However, if having a well-rounded character with a decent amount of skill points is the goal, I think it is the most efficient.

I use Dulfy or more recently a Ipad App. I go straight to the main story quests and skip all side quests. As I travel the map I pick up all skyshards, lorebooks, dolmens, and public dungeons. I can usually clear a whole area in a few hours having done it several times. I wear Level 1 gear with training traits and mix heavy, medium, and light pieces to level all skill lines (If you plan on going 5-1-1 later in the game it helps to have the passives in all armor types). I mix skills on my bar from several areas to level different class and weapon lines.

The new random dungeon option gives a ton of xp. I set up one bar with all my damage/heavily used skills and then put a bunch of skills on my 2nd bar that I am trying to level. I stay on the damage bar through the whole dungeon, and swap to my leveling bar right before the last boss dies to get a big xp boost to those skills/skill lines.

Some of my friends like to just grind their alts up, but I usually end up seeing them later going back to these areas to get skill points and skyshards. Other friends spend a lot of time later getting lorebooks since Mages guild is huge on a magic build. Unfortunately at this point they are usually over-leveled and do not get much xp for doing them later. Also you never know when you will want to try out a different weapon type, or pick up vamp/WW. All these things cost a lot of Skill points.

Just my opinion. If you know exactly what you want (i.e. Only use DW and Bow with Medium armor etc.) you can grind or skip quests. BUt I just prefer to have a lot of skill points in different areas if I decide to switch it up later.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can agree with you that the main storyline is painful having run it five times.

However, if having a well-rounded character with a decent amount of skill points is the goal, I think it is the most efficient.
    Just my opinion. If you know exactly what you want (i.e. Only use DW and Bow with Medium armor etc.) you can grind or skip quests. BUt I just prefer to have a lot of skill points in different areas if I decide to switch it up later.

Hi @MrTarkanian48 thanks for the useful info and taking the time to reply. :)

However, it really isn't about efficiency, but about playing in a way that keeps the game interesting and enjoyable for me. I'm not very good at min/maxing etc and I really don't mind if my characters aren't operating at optimum. I certainly don't pay attention to what skills/gear/builds are 'right' or 'best'.

I like footling about, exploring etc. However, I obviously can't explore certain parts of the map if I'm completely feeble and un-geared so I need to find ways of levelling up to a certain extent.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy questing, the stories etc too, just not on all of my characters!

If I decide that PvP and group dungeons are a thing I want to get into later, I'll probably make a new character for that purpose and do exactly as you suggest. I appreciate you don't want to annoy other players in group content by being TOO rubbish!

Thanks again. :)
  • Alvar
    Alvar
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    You can ignore the main quest all together, but you'll be locked out of the other 2 factions on that toon, since the quest line is the level 45 gate for that content.

@Alvar

Actually, this is no longer the case. I have an Alt that has only done the first quest or two in the MQ and has full access to Silver and Gold content. You only need to complete the last zone of the leveling content to unlock "Messages Across Tamriel". I don't even think you have to do much of the last zones content, but enough to do the last quest for that zone. I am not sure if you have to actually have the Triumvirate meeting or not, but I did and I just finished Silver on my Alt and have full access to all zones, and their quests and content for each zone.

Thanks Nestor, I wasn't aware.
    You can't sprint and use abilities at the same time.
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there :)

Just wanted to add that I've come up with a plan for one of my characters - I'm sure loads of people do this - but when I play Skyrim, I use quite a few survival/restriction mods to make things interesting. So I've made an extremely shy Bosmer, and I'm going to impose some RP rules on her. This is what I have so far.

To begin with, I have quest markers etc turned off, and have Shinni's excellent 'True Exploration' addon to keep the map covered. No nameplates.

My Bosmer is not allowed to 'quest' as such, but can only accept quests if hailed by a Bosmer NPC (she's suspicious of other races.) She can only kill in self defence - the exceptions being hunting animals for crafting mats, mobs in dungeons or if a quest requires it. I might make an exception for the Thieves' Guild quests and DB quests if the skill trees become too useful to ignore.

She can level up with crafting, thieving, exploring, chest opening etc. However, she can only use mats she's found herself to craft, and not use general crafting bag mats. She has to make her own gear or use things she finds. She's not allowed to do the daily provisioning quests.

She can only enter non-Bosmer settlements during the night in game.

She can only enter Outlaws Refuge's via the out-of-town entrances.

I'm going to try and stick to non-magicka combat skills, the exceptions being abilities that allow her to evade, vanish etc.

No grouping or asking for help (will help other players in a jam if necessary tho - not a total cow.) No talking to other players - unless Bosmer.

I'm going to avoid the Main Quest if I can.

So, those are The Rules, for now. I'll see how far I get before it becomes tooth-grindingly annoying. If you can think of other interesting things I can apply, then please let me know. :)

Anyone else set themselves rules like this to make the game a bit more TES?

(Doh - I suppose the crafting stuff you'd be doing anyway if you had a single character from scratch x) Nvm. )
    Edited by Magenpie on June 8, 2016 3:25PM