The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Post "Hack Weekend." A Simple Address Going Forward.

• zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghostbane wrote: »
    We have to consider what ChumpEngine does, it allows you to edit variable properties that are stored in RAM. Why would dodge chance be in RAM? It is now an absolute value through the buff system as minor or major. I can't see from a programing perspective of something that is either one or the other be stored as a magic number client side. Then again, this game..

I've long theorized ESO did a lot client-side, but I'm shocked by the degree to which this is true. Aren't you? IMO, it goes way past "necessary compromise" to "negligently lazy".
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    We have to consider what ChumpEngine does, it allows you to edit variable properties that are stored in RAM. Why would dodge chance be in RAM? It is now an absolute value through the buff system as minor or major. I can't see from a programing perspective of something that is either one or the other be stored as a magic number client side. Then again, this game..

I've long theorized ESO did a lot client-side, but I'm shocked by the degree to which this is true. Aren't you? IMO, it goes way past "necessary compromise" to "negligently lazy".

You know, as baffling as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. It would be an easy explanation for the speed manipulation.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gonna be pretty hard.

I mean, i had seen a couple players who i had always considered being good players very blatantly using hacks. so, i started thinking "have i ever had a legit fight with any of these people?".

very bad situation for any game.
    Invictus
  • Clerics1985
    Clerics1985
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone in Jail is going to say the same thing "I'm innocent but found guilty" 15% may be Correct in their assumption but the other 85% is Spot on. I feel bad for the guys that TRUELY Got sniped, but temp bans are going to be handed out due to exploits not the third party program. did they send you a letter saying something else? well That's kind of what they do all the time right? say something when they mean something else. they probably went through logs found people using the third party program and perma-banned them, then sent temp bans to the people that have been using Exploits during gameplay, but instead of Individually sending each person their own Letter just Sent one Mass Msg explaining "oh ya excessive ultimates got you here :)"

of coarse I don't know for sure, nobody really knows what the feck happened because they are being Extremely Hush hush about it.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any sets that alter dodge chance outside of the set buffs, or something that increases/decreases the potency of buffs?

hist_bark.jpg

there are more than just this set, there are also sets that increase your dodge time after a roll as well as increase dodge time after being hit or casting a stam spell.

This game trust the client with literally the keys to the castle in ways that haven't worked since the 90s lol
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »

This game trust the client with literally the keys to the castle in ways that haven't worked since the 90s lol

LOL yes its pretty sad really...
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Satiar wrote: »
    Lyar09 wrote: »
    Since when has ZOS banned people without proof? Ive reported people many times and the only one that actually got someone banned was when I sent a screenshot of the toxic messages he was saying. They even said they are checking logs to see if these programs are being used.

Which is why most of the active Emperors in the past 48 hours have been handed a ban?

@Ghostbane

I was emp on 28.05.2016 Azura EU PC and got perma-banned on Monday. :(

@Tower_Of_Shame

Sorry to hear that bud, make sure you appeal that. If they are checking all the rights things as they say, you should be reinstated in no time.

It is exceptionally annoying though, as I can imagine that there is some first time emps that have had this happen.
    Since when has ZOS banned people without proof? Ive reported people many times and the only one that actually got someone banned was when I sent a screenshot of the toxic messages he was saying. They even said they are checking logs to see if these programs are being used.

Which is why most of the active Emperors in the past 48 hours have been handed a ban?

This shows that they are using facts based on logs. Yea, they screwed up on the Emperors..but thats not my point.

I hope it's the case bud, it seems to me if someone gets reported a certain amount of times, they are straight up temp banned (under investigation), which is pretty crummy. A few players have already spoke out on this happening to them.

I was emp before just wanted for the fun on the weekend, maybe I should have skipped on this plan...
    Do you know of any other Emps that got banned? Or was it just you?

I dont know about other emps.

Lol suspicious

This is going to overshadow your shuffle exploit cry hahaha

Shuffle exploit makes a lot more sense now, actually, considering how easy it is to simply up your dodge rate. Given recent developments I'd say it's far more likely people were noting something legitimately fishy than not.
    So heres my thinking..
    The "shuffle crew" didnt want to be caught using this cheat which is why they dont spam ultimate like idiots(Zazeer) so why not use the cheat engine on SHUFFLE where they can blame it on the RNG and leave us with no counter argument and this they havent been caught.
    It literally makes sense now. #exposed

@Lyar09 We have fought several times on the field and can say that your shuffle seemed normal.. You are not unkillable :) which is why(no offense) you arent as well known as the 3-4 shuffle exploiters.

Is there any sets that alter dodge chance outside of the set buffs, or something that increases/decreases the potency of buffs?

@Ghostbane
    Dodge is probably coded as a Boolean value, every time an attack is targeted at you the RNG runs from 0-4 with 0 being true and 1-4 being false, that function will then return a true or false value that determines if you dodged or not. That's the only reason I can think of it being in memory that way. Cheat Engine could twist that value to say 0 is false and 1-4 are true giving the illusion of really good shuffle RNG.
    Edited by Ghost-Shot on May 31, 2016 6:38PM
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ghost-Shot wrote: »

@Ghostbane

@Tower_Of_Shame

Sorry to hear that bud, make sure you appeal that. If they are checking all the rights things as they say, you should be reinstated in no time.

It is exceptionally annoying though, as I can imagine that there is some first time emps that have had this happen.

This shows that they are using facts based on logs. Yea, they screwed up on the Emperors..but thats not my point.

I hope it's the case bud, it seems to me if someone gets reported a certain amount of times, they are straight up temp banned (under investigation), which is pretty crummy. A few players have already spoke out on this happening to them.

I was emp before just wanted for the fun on the weekend, maybe I should have skipped on this plan...

Lol suspicious

Shuffle exploit makes a lot more sense now, actually, considering how easy it is to simply up your dodge rate. Given recent developments I'd say it's far more likely people were noting something legitimately fishy than not.
    So heres my thinking..
    The "shuffle crew" didnt want to be caught using this cheat which is why they dont spam ultimate like idiots(Zazeer) so why not use the cheat engine on SHUFFLE where they can blame it on the RNG and leave us with no counter argument and this they havent been caught.

@Lyar09 We have fought several times on the field and can say that your shuffle seemed normal.. You are not unkillable :) which is why(no offense) you arent as well known as the 3-4 shuffle exploiters.

@Ghostbane
    Dodge is probably coded as a Boolean value, every time an attack is targeted at you the RNG runs from 0-4 with 0 being true and 1-4 being false, that function will then return a true or false value that determines if you dodged or not. That's the only reason I can think of it being in memory that way. Cheat Engine could twist that value to say 0 is false and 1-4 are true giving the illusion of really good shuffle RNG.[

Yup....not much else to add there...

This is such a disaster on so many levels.

Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on May 31, 2016 6:43PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• KenaPKK
    KenaPKK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am surprised at how inflamed people have been this weekend. I shall remain calm and dispel the witch hunts, and my 3 guilds shall all remain zero tolerance to both hacks and guild chat accusations of hacking.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC original dueling and general PvP community guild
    Now the hub of competitive dueling and the joined PvP communities of NA and EU/PC

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • The_Great_Maldini
    The_Great_Maldini
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »
    It's gonna be pretty hard.

I mean, i had seen a couple players who i had always considered being good players very blatantly using hacks. so, i started thinking "have i ever had a legit fight with any of these people?".

very bad situation for any game.

I honestly believe that was this whole fiasco has taught me, is that I more than likely underestimated my ability as a player by comparing myself to these "godly" PvP players that were surviving onslaughts by 5+ people.

In reality I should have just believed in myself more.

I know this sounds like a cat poster, but it's true.
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

hist_bark.jpg

there are more than just this set, there are also sets that increase your dodge time after a roll as well as increase dodge time after being hit or casting a stam spell.

That is just applying the major buff.

@Ghostbane

@Tower_Of_Shame

Lol suspicious

So heres my thinking..

@Ghostbane
    Dodge is probably coded as a Boolean value, every time an attack is targeted at you the RNG runs from 0-4 with 0 being true and 1-4 being false, that function will then return a true or false value that determines if you dodged or not. That's the only reason I can think of it being in memory that way. Cheat Engine could twist that value to say 0 is false and 1-4 are true giving the illusion of really good shuffle RNG.

I would imagine the calculation/determination if something is dodged takes place serverside? I can imagine the state being saved in memory for response purposes, the determination happening there is baffling. And if it is indeed the case, determined clientside, then it would be ideally possible to be manipulated by ChumpEngine.
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

hist_bark.jpg

@Ghostbane

@Tower_Of_Shame

Lol suspicious

So heres my thinking..

@Ghostbane

I would imagine the calculation/determination if something is dodged takes place serverside? I can imagine the state being saved in memory for response purposes, the determination happening there is baffling. And if it is indeed the case, determined clientside, then it would be ideally possible to be manipulated by ChumpEngine.

I imagine its a bit of both client/server side. As stupid as it sounds I have a feeling that the true/false value is determined client side and then sent to the server in a data packet.
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

hist_bark.jpg

@Ghostbane

@Tower_Of_Shame

Lol suspicious

So heres my thinking..

@Ghostbane

I imagine its a bit of both client/server side. As stupid as it sounds I have a feeling that the true/false value is determined client side and then sent to the server in a data packet.

That undermines every principle of common sense.

But I believe it.
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    Addons
  • moiraleafcull
    moiraleafcull
    ✭✭✭
    Rhage's original post is excellent. Please do not derail with off-topic posts that will get this thread locked.
    Thank you.
    @moiraleafcull == 551+ Champion
    Daggerfall Covenant: Moira Leafcull - Temp AR 27 | Fara Nightsky - NB AR 6
    Proud to wear the tabards of Daggerfall Pride and LoM

• Bramir
    Bramir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like ZOS has evidence, and the cheaters got caught. Why would they ban people without evidence?

And yes, I can't help but laugh at 'my friends would never cheat'. That line is as old as cheating itself...
  • PrinceFabious
    PrinceFabious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bramir wrote: »
    Sounds like ZOS has evidence, and the cheaters got caught. Why would they ban people without evidence?

And yes, I can't help but laugh at 'my friends would never cheat'. That line is as old as cheating itself...

This man gets it
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhage's original post is excellent. Please do not derail with off-topic posts that will get this thread locked.
    Thank you.

I just wanted to put out that given the gravity of the situation, and the ease of immediately turning to cutting down each other, is something I would like the community as a whole to try and avoid as a whole for the betterment of the game we all play.

Other than that my post is open to all areas of conversation in regards to trying to find the "theory of everything," regarding these unpleasant times, as well as general public meeting ground, as an attempt to keep us all, at least, semi- united. The thread responses have been mostly inquisitive and no one has, "flung feces at another," just yet. As we are all kinda coming to grips of what is going on. I also continue the request to keep the topic and subject matter in that frame.

I appreciate your reminder of that here, bud. Cheers.
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You know, as baffling as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. It would be an easy explanation for the speed manipulation.

As a retired developer, I'm still in shock. Granted I never worked on a MMO-type platform, but I did work on some pretty sensitive stuff. I can't think of a single circumstance in which I would have EVER simply trusted client input without cleaning, validating and verifying client input. Even that's not perfect. But the notion that you simply take for granted the data is okay? Oy.

Back to the original topic: last night I found myself scrutinizing other players and making mental accusations. I finally just logged off even though I wanted to play the campaign end. Most of the those folks were no doubt 100% innocent, but this whole thing has been a poison pill.
    Edited by NBrookus on June 1, 2016 5:30AM
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you.

I just wanted to put out that given the gravity of the situation, and the ease of immediately turning to cutting down each other, is something I would like the community as a whole to try and avoid as a whole for the betterment of the game we all play.

Other than that my post is open to all areas of conversation in regards to trying to find the "theory of everything," regarding these unpleasant times, as well as general public meeting ground, as an attempt to keep us all, at least, semi- united. The thread responses have been mostly inquisitive and no one has, "flung feces at another," just yet. As we are all kinda coming to grips of what is going on. I also continue the request to keep the topic and subject matter in that frame.

In the end it sort of sounds like "don't report me bros".

I guess a lot of it is perspective... if you didn't have to fight the ever dodging horde on the other side or the 2 shot wonders that attacked faster than you can cc break (even with it on an easily accessible seperate key)... you would think little of the accusations.

In the end some of us are united, unfortunately it's the perps not the victims.
  • Bramir
    Bramir
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

As a retired developer, I'm still in shock. Granted I never worked on a MMO-type platform, but I did work on some pretty sensitive stuff. I can't think of a single circumstance in which I would have EVER simply trusted client input without cleaning, validating and verifying client input. Even that's not perfect. But the notion that you simply take for grant the data is okay? Oy.

Back to the original topic: last night I found myself scrutinizing other players and making mental accusations. I even started to contact a few guild GMs. I finally just logged off even though I wanted to play the campaign end. Most of the those folks were no doubt 100% innocent, but this whole thing has been a poison pill.

Yeah, I had no idea ESO was this susceptible to hacking or I would have been suspicious of a lot of the stuff I see in Cyrodil for a long time. Really pathetic that a game running this long had such a major flaw...

On the bright side, maybe I am better at PvP dps than I thought I was!
  • Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been EMP on any characters. I guess that means by virtue, I don't cheat. Ha Ha. I do think its wrong that they feel into that algorithm list. I am sure it was some part time support guy who generated it and failed to check it against the emperor list. What concerns me is the players who understand how important it is to build ultimate when fighting and go about it purposely to generate it.

I do not condone cheating, never have and never will. I can win the right way or learn from the mistakes and try it again. Sometimes I just want to have fun.

I have no love for the other factions in game and I am certain they feel the same way about me or my players. But I do respect them especially K-hole even though some of the individual players have been very disrespectful to me. Although I think that's part of the community and not the game.
  • Lyar09
    Lyar09
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.

I guess a lot of it is perspective... if you didn't have to fight the ever dodging horde on the other side or the 2 shot wonders that attacked faster than you can cc break (even with it on an easily accessible seperate key)... you would think little of the accusations.

You have to be the most skeptical and pessimistic person on these forums. Constantly accusing others and claiming to be the majority opinion.
    PC/NA | twitch.tv/ohhlyar | youtube.com/lyaryt
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭

You have to be the most skeptical and pessimistic person on these forums. Constantly accusing others and claiming to be the majority opinion.

I wonder if he tells people that he's "fair and balanced" every 10 minutes?
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    Who banned so far? Can someone tell me via pm?

Me to, inquiring minds want to know, drop me a pm, please :)
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    Who banned so far? Can someone tell me via pm?

Me to, inquiring minds want to know, drop me a pm, please :)

@Soris
    There is a well known sorc who runs 2pc Engine Guardian and is commonly called a European country who was prema'd (again, mind you)
    A bunch of Pact players who run with that infamous grand slam emperor, and I am sure more names will surface shortly ;)
  • Wycks
    Wycks
    ✭✭✭✭
    I curious to see if the un-killable lvl 33 EP player that was running around PC haderus for the last 2 weeks is gone.
    The numbers thing is always going to be there, but it’s more down to player skill and there are ways through ability choice to configure a group to be stronger vs. large groups of people. - BRAIN WHEELER - 2012 - LOL
  • moiraleafcull
    moiraleafcull
    ✭✭✭
    So many thoughts and feelings…but in the end the one that stands out is disappointment. Not disappointment that ZOS let this get out of hand or that folks cheat but that those who are really good and truly deserving of their PvP reputations will be lumped in with those who had to cheat to be good.

There are a lot of you I have had the privilege of running with, learned from, and know from experience that you are just that damn good yet if I voice it here, it will be regarded with some skepticism that I am “defending my own.”

There are others who I have had the privilege of running against and have also learned from (I can think of one EP sorc ganker who is still at the top of “my most killed by” list despite having left the game) because you also are just that damn good yet there are folks who will accuse you of cheating just because you wear a different color and/or they can't beat you.

I can appreciate the “ZOS isn’t doing anything so public shaming is warranted” mentality and the desire to expose/ban cheaters but I also appreciate the skill of a lot of the players I run with and against and would hope that folks be prudent in their accusations (video, combat logs, etc) and damn well don’t falsely report someone simply because they can shred your two key spamming zerg with skill and tactics.

I sincerely hope that those who are guilty are uncovered and deservingly banned and that those who are undeservingly under suspicion are exonerated. I also hope that we are mature enough as a community to police ourselves and not place the entire onus on ZOS.

When we next meet on the fields of Cyrodiil, I am looking forward to it being a “level field” of battle and fully expect you will still kick my butt.
    Edited by moiraleafcull on May 31, 2016 10:30PM
    @moiraleafcull == 551+ Champion
    Daggerfall Covenant: Moira Leafcull - Temp AR 27 | Fara Nightsky - NB AR 6
    Proud to wear the tabards of Daggerfall Pride and LoM

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KenaPKK wrote: »
    I am surprised at how inflamed people have been this weekend. I shall remain calm and dispel the witch hunts, and my 3 guilds shall all remain zero tolerance to both hacks and guild chat accusations of hacking.

No witch hunts, correct.

Though I wonder how many emp videos, guild videos, pvp highlights show the GM inflammation?

Though I'm excited because maybe new videos will surface showing very balanced pvp? Who knows :)

Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    claiming to be the majority opinion.

He can't be the majority opinion.. I *AM* the #CrownZerg !
    I haven't looked at the forums much in about 2 months.. I'm having so much fun today ;-)
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ghostbane

@Tower_Of_Shame

Lol suspicious

So heres my thinking..

@Ghostbane

I find that unlikely myself.
    The whole point of using a variable is to make it future proof.
    Ie allow anything from 0-100%
    So dodge chance probably is held in memory as a value from 0-100
    It will be the in game code that sets it and changes it.
    How that +-*/ or overwrite works is anybodies guess.
    How code interprets and validates the current value held 0-100 variable is also anybodies guess.

If the coders 'assume' the data in the variable is accurate....
    Edited by Rune_Relic on May 31, 2016 11:34PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited