The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What on Earth is going on with incremental patching?

• KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've received the same crash notice with the switching characters crash. I am finding that changing the file handling as in KhajiitFurTrader's post in part 4 is still working for me to prevent this.
    Huh? The file handle problem has been addressed with the latest patch to version 2.3.6. The client uses now an even higher number (5000) than originally suggested (4000).

I find when my add-ons won't load as you've described, quitting the game and restarting generally fixes the problem. (reloadui and logout and back into the character seem to have no effect). Upon logging back in after a full quit, the add-ons are all back and happy.
    For how long do they stay that way?

Could it be that there is a memory leak and/or handling problem with the LUA API? IDK

You all might want to rename or delete the file

Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/SavedVariables/ZOS_ingame.lua

in your home directory (use liveeu if playing on the EU megaserver).
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on March 17, 2016 5:39PM
  • capricorn152245ub17_ESO
    I've received the same crash notice with the switching characters crash. I am finding that changing the file handling as in KhajiitFurTrader's post in part 4 is still working for me to prevent this.
    Huh? The file handle problem has been addressed with the latest patch to version 2.3.6. The client uses now an even higher number (5000) than originally suggested (4000).

Perhaps as you suggested below, this is a problem with LUA and add-ons? I am unsure, I only know that changing the maxfiles limit prevents crashing, and not doing it results in crashes, however now the crashes seem confined now to zoning and character switching.
    I find when my add-ons won't load as you've described, quitting the game and restarting generally fixes the problem. (reloadui and logout and back into the character seem to have no effect). Upon logging back in after a full quit, the add-ons are all back and happy.

Could it be that there is a memory leak and/or handling problem with the LUA API? IDK

[/quote]

Perhaps so? I will try removing the file and seeing how it goes. At very least the problem is improving patch by patch, which is good news.

[/quote]

Perhaps so? I will try removing the file and seeing how it goes. At very least the problem is improving patch by patch, which is good news.[/quote]

Removing the file does not seem to have helped the crashing while switching characters (I got the Alert: Pending data load error (1922534-c00000000008f8a) Debug/Ignore Always/Crash)
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Removing the file does not seem to have helped the crashing while switching characters (I got the Alert: Pending data load error (1922534-c00000000008f8a) Debug/Ignore Always/Crash)
    Do you still get errors if you disable addons completely?
    Do you still get errors if you disable addons completely?

I'm still getting crashing, but it seems limited to porting out of Wrothgar to another zone after playing in Wrothgar for a while. Even with all add-ons disabled, and since the patch yesterday as well.
    And for the record, the client starts ignoring add-ons completely between character switches quite often for me too now.
  • LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, been out of the country for a week, so just catching up on the thread.

I updated with the latest incremental and have to say all went well. Switched between all my 7 characters to carry out crafting writs and stable training with no loss of textures or issues with add-on's over a 4 hour session. Interestingly, I logged in later and had a loss of add-on's after switching from one character to another and back to the initial one after just a few minutes (30 or so). A /reloadui solved this.

I logged back in for a 3 or so hour session later today and all was just fine again with multiple character swaps. Only difference between the three sessions was that for the 1st and 3rd, which was issue free, I ran through the launcher and clicked play. For the second problematic session I ran from the eso app directly and missed out the launcher completely. Not sure if this was the issue as my understanding is that the launcher just initiates the client app in any event, but just reporting findings.

My plan is to just carry on running via the launcher unless I have any issues.
    Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild
    Hmm. I'll test as well and report back.
    Hi guys, been out of the country for a week, so just catching up on the thread.

I updated with the latest incremental and have to say all went well. Switched between all my 7 characters to carry out crafting writs and stable training with no loss of textures or issues with add-on's over a 4 hour session. Interestingly, I logged in later and had a loss of add-on's after switching from one character to another and back to the initial one after just a few minutes (30 or so). A /reloadui solved this.

I logged back in for a 3 or so hour session later today and all was just fine again with multiple character swaps. Only difference between the three sessions was that for the 1st and 3rd, which was issue free, I ran through the launcher and clicked play. For the second problematic session I ran from the eso app directly and missed out the launcher completely. Not sure if this was the issue as my understanding is that the launcher just initiates the client app in any event, but just reporting findings.

My plan is to just carry on running via the launcher unless I have any issues.

So far it seems like the launcher is preventing the add-on and the crash issues associated with switching characters for me.
  • LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, although I'm puzzled why :*
    It's been running fine for me through the launcher all weekend so I've stuck with it too! Had some really bad fps drop in northern wrothgar today, but a relog cleared it and it was at the end of a four hour session with multiple character changes and a short while spent in Cyrodill.
    Edited by LaucianNailor on March 29, 2016 10:39PM
    Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild
  • LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to flag the use of the launcher again @chris.dillman FYI

I've only run ESO through the launcher for the past month + and haven't experienced a single crash, pink texture or issue with add-ons. As there has been a couple of patches since this time, I ran direct from the ESO App and bypassed the launcher as a test. Within 30 mins I had to do a /reloadui and this resulted in the loss of all add-ons working or visible in the menu and so forced me to quit and restart.

No idea why missing the launcher has this effect, but it could be worth investigation.

Other than the above, which is easily avoidable for me, I'm delighted with the 64bit Mac client. Thanks for the great work on it.
    Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No idea why missing the launcher has this effect, but it could be worth investigation.
    By all means, it shouldn't. Launcher and client are two completely independent processes, the sole exception being the former launching the latter via a system call. Furthermore, the Launcher isn't even based on their own code; it's build using a third-party, cross-platform SDK, which in turn is a part of a B2B service called DIRECT for Games (simply put, it's a sort of rsync to keep local client files in sync with a master repository somewhere on the 'net).

Unless there's a super-secret start-up parameter passed to the client binary on launch by the Launcher, which I doubt, starting the client one way or the other should make no difference at all (the amount of RAM the Launcher uses while being active is negligible).

• LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    By all means, it shouldn't. Launcher and client are two completely independent processes, the sole exception being the former launching the latter via a system call. Furthermore, the Launcher isn't even based on their own code; it's build using a third-party, cross-platform SDK, which in turn is a part of a B2B service called DIRECT for Games (simply put, it's a sort of rsync to keep local client files in sync with a master repository somewhere on the 'net).

Unless there's a super-secret start-up parameter passed to the client binary on launch by the Launcher, which I doubt, starting the client one way or the other should make no difference at all (the amount of RAM the Launcher uses while being active is negligible).

Oh I completely agree with your view.My 1st hand experience however has created a different outcome, which I'm completely puzzled over, hence calling it out to Chris (the programmer).

Why I would have the issue on the very 1st attempt at missing out the launcher (after 30 minutes play), when I've played 100+ hours without an issue when using the launcher (which has replicated the issues I experienced prior to May) stretches the bounds of even the infamous RNG Psijic Recipe in full drop possibilities :p
    Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 24GB recently, and there is most definitely a memory leak. I can reboot and start off with close to 20GB of free RAM, and within a couple of days of playing without completely quitting the game and rebooting, have only 4-8 GB of free RAM. The memory leak is real.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How much of used memory is wired? How much of it is used for file caches? On my machine with 32 GB of RAM, free memory seldom amounts to more than one half of physical RAM after a few days of uptime. How do your numbers change after you enter the following command in a terminal
    sudo purge

Do they change at all?

But why would you want to let the client sit active for days in the first place? Closing and re-launching it is done in a flash, and server-side inactivity timeouts will send you back to the log-in screen anyways.