Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "What Veteran Rank Removal Means for your Character"

• GrumpStump
    GrumpStump
    ✭✭✭
    i hope im not the only one who hopped for a title for having v16s before db drop...you know so later on down the road when there are more newbs playing this game you could show off your nice title. of course its per v16 char prior to vet rank drop.

was thinking a title like "old timer" if anyone thinks of a better title for a vet 16 char when db drops by all means list your title ideas. most ppl honestly dont care about the extra 40cp since alot of the ppl playing this game since launch already are capped.

Yeah, I think a title is in order for getting to VR16.

GrumpStump
    ESO+ Subbed until December 2019
  • WhatAProphet
    WhatAProphet
    Soul Shriven
    Quick question: is the new champion point level will be based on what: the total number of champion points? Because my character is VR7 and with this update, he will get to CP160...
  • Khydan
    Khydan
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty confused can someone help clear this up for me? So a lot of people are saying they are over the cap... are they gaining extra CP just in preparation for the cap to be raised?
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khydan wrote: »
    I'm pretty confused can someone help clear this up for me? So a lot of people are saying they are over the cap... are they gaining extra CP just in preparation for the cap to be raised?

Depends on which cap.

There is an NPC/gear cap of 160 which there are a lot over this
    There is the total allowable CP cap of 501 (not sure if a lot are over this but according to ZOS, there aren't a lot over this)

Some people prior to the CP catch up changes wanted to reach 1000+ CP's and after the CP catchup which established a cap of 501, ppl race to 501. I think you'd have to clarify which cap they're talking about first but it seems pointless to race to 501 but I think 400 is a good spot. For some, maybe they want to always be at cap for various reasons while others are looking at gear and NPC ranges when they say they are over the cap.

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Essiaga
    Essiaga
    ✭✭✭✭
    Essiaga wrote: »
    So if you have a v16 or CP 160 and you start an alt then Silver will be only worth 30% ... Why would anyone bother? Just do Gold or do what everyone seems to be doing already and grind scaled content such as IC.

It would make more sense to make all content CP 3600 and just battle scale players like you do in DLCs and Cyro. Then content is never lost and no zone will need re-scaled in the cap increase.

This is the problem with the champion system. The gaps you created between v1 to v16 and the fear of closing the gap. CP benefits are simply to great. 501 gives you the ability to increase your character so much. 25% damage + ... 20% regen + ... it's crazy amounts. Then consider class passives. NB rule the world.

BTW ZOS didn't remove Vet Ranks. They simply changed the name ... and it took 2 friggin years.
    We still have so many crafting materials that are now less valuable because my alts will never need CP 10-150 gear again and neither will the large majority of the population of the game. So much stuff in game has lost it's value ... trash.

@Essiaga
    But we don't even know if scaling is still a thing for CP.

What is being scaled and what does higher CP mean for NPCs?
    Scaling for DLC isn't going away. ZOS wants the content to be open to all so they can get their sells before that content becomes a lower level zone that no one goes to, like Silver, Gold zones, Craglorn, etc. How many people are farming DSA for master weapons? I would bet this is the main reason that Vet ranks are being relabeled rather then actually removed. Because the scaling is in place for DLC to be open to all.

Well if players have higher CP (like has been happening for the past year+) content gets easier and easier. NPC get easier to kill and the challenge goes away. Remove all your CP and run a dungeon or take your PVP build to Non-CP campaign. It's a very different game.

Scaling should still be in the game. The difference between a new CP10 and a CP501 again is 20% this and 25% that ... plus the experience of the player, gear level, the quality of gear, etc. The gap between players is very large. This isn't a game you can just jump in PVP and run. It takes a lot of practice if you're not zerging.

Also for trials and dungeons ... You're not going to take a CP10 player along. They have no monster helm/shoulders, No gear worth improving to yellow, they probably don't have a real rotation and the population of Vet 1 Players is going to shrink when your level is based on your CP so it will be harder for those lower CP players to find content with out scaling, just like it is with lvl 45 players ... So the gap is still there and scaling is still needed. The worst thing is the world is running end game content with people who grind their characters to end game and have no idea how to play.

Trials provide worthless gear and less of a challenge because they haven't been scaled. If they set all mobs at CP 3600 or 6000 and Battle Leveled everyone up when they raise the cap they're isn't any more work to be done to the games content and the content never gets left behind like Craglorn, DSA, etc. You just change the loot tables.

If ZOS doesn't know the scaling to make that happen already then shame on them. They shouldn't have introduced the CP system if that's the case.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you have a v16 or CP 160 and you start an alt then Silver will be only worth 30% ... Why would anyone bother? Just do Gold or do what everyone seems to be doing already and grind scaled content such as IC.

It would make more sense to make all content CP 3600 and just battle scale players like you do in DLCs and Cyro. Then content is never lost and no zone will need re-scaled in the cap increase.

This is the problem with the champion system. The gaps you created between v1 to v16 and the fear of closing the gap. CP benefits are simply to great. 501 gives you the ability to increase your character so much. 25% damage + ... 20% regen + ... it's crazy amounts. Then consider class passives. NB rule the world.

BTW ZOS didn't remove Vet Ranks. They simply changed the name ... and it took 2 friggin years.
    We still have so many crafting materials that are now less valuable because my alts will never need CP 10-150 gear again and neither will the large majority of the population of the game. So much stuff in game has lost it's value ... trash.

@Essiaga
    But we don't even know if scaling is still a thing for CP.

What is being scaled and what does higher CP mean for NPCs?
    Scaling for DLC isn't going away. ZOS wants the content to be open to all so they can get their sells before that content becomes a lower level zone that no one goes to, like Silver, Gold zones, Craglorn, etc. How many people are farming DSA for master weapons? I would bet this is the main reason that Vet ranks are being relabeled rather then actually removed. Because the scaling is in place for DLC to be open to all.

Well if players have higher CP (like has been happening for the past year+) content gets easier and easier. NPC get easier to kill and the challenge goes away. Remove all your CP and run a dungeon or take your PVP build to Non-CP campaign. It's a very different game.

Scaling should still be in the game. The difference between a new CP10 and a CP501 again is 20% this and 25% that ... plus the experience of the player, gear level, the quality of gear, etc. The gap between players is very large. This isn't a game you can just jump in PVP and run. It takes a lot of practice if you're not zerging.

Also for trials and dungeons ... You're not going to take a CP10 player along. They have no monster helm/shoulders, No gear worth improving to yellow, they probably don't have a real rotation and the population of Vet 1 Players is going to shrink when your level is based on your CP so it will be harder for those lower CP players to find content with out scaling, just like it is with lvl 45 players ... So the gap is still there and scaling is still needed. The worst thing is the world is running end game content with people who grind their characters to end game and have no idea how to play.

Trials provide worthless gear and less of a challenge because they haven't been scaled. If they set all mobs at CP 3600 or 6000 and Battle Leveled everyone up when they raise the cap they're isn't any more work to be done to the games content and the content never gets left behind like Craglorn, DSA, etc. You just change the loot tables.

If ZOS doesn't know the scaling to make that happen already then shame on them. They shouldn't have introduced the CP system if that's the case.

@Essiaga
    Do you have details of how scaling works now that VR is gone and that skill, stat and assuming the base stat increases are all within levels 1-50?

Does scaling also include a CP base stat change for those below 160 or without CPs for activity finder groups ?

I realize it's assumed because scaled content is on PTS but when on PTS some things have changed in silver, gold, Craglorn and scaled zones like material harvesting, NPC levels so what is scaling now and how does it apply?
  • megnin
    megnin
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    "One of the great things about basing character strength on Champion Points instead of Veteran Ranks is how favorable it is for playing multiple characters. As Champion Points are shared across your account, all alternate characters on your account are able to access your account's Champion Points at level 50. For example, say you have 160 CP on your account. When you create a new character and level them to 50, they will be able to equip CP 160 gear right away! "

This makes it sound like 1-49 cannot access Champion Points.
    Hmm, yeah, that's a bit odd. Is that bad wording, @ZOS_GinaBruno ? As it stands now on Live, any character on the account can spend the account's Champion Points, even those characters below Level 50. You need Level 50 plus x CPs to be able to wear the CP gear, but you don't need to be Level 50 to gain the attribute bonuses from CPs or to spend them in the passives.

Yeah just bad wording. You can still spend your CP below level 50. You just won't be able to equip the Champion restricted gear until you hit level 50. (the gear in the screen shot for the article requires level 50 and 160CP)

*When things are converted to CP from VR, will VRs who are at >VR16 be given the unearned attribute and skill points bonus retroactively?

"With the removal of Veteran Ranks, we had an extra 16 attribute and 16 stat points that needed to be allocated. Our initial thought was to grant all 16 as soon as you hit Level 50. However, we wanted to make the journey from 1-50 more exciting and rewarding. This lead us to doling out an extra attribute and stat point every 5 levels, and two extra points every 10 levels. This fit the 16 points perfectly and created a nice reward cadence for everyone. "

*A VR16 has the 16 points already. If levels 1-50 are given the 16 points at intervals, what about the VR1 or VR10s? If a VR10 has 10/16 then they must be compensated for the six points they could have earned. Will these be given at conversion?

* Consequently will any non veteran/non CP ranks be given this bonus prorated to what they've earned up to conversion? Does a level 11 get three points added for the bonus at level 5 and two points at level 10 after conversion?

A few examples of what skill points and attribute points a VR5, VR10, & VR16 and any level below 50 will have after the Dark Brotherhood DLC happens would be great.

I've been wonder the same thing. I have four alts "holding" at level 9, one at level 14 and one at level 49 because I'm unsure if they will miss out on the extra skill and attribute points if I hit level 10, 15 and 50 before DB. Some clarification here would be really nice since I'd like to continue the quests these characters are on as soon as possible, without loosing potential skill and attribute points.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RichLambert

Is anyone going to share how scaling works and what is being scaled in this new environment?

It's unclear on PTS cause no one has the missing skill/stat points.

Did you all not finish this part yet? @Wrobel
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really have any problems with the conversion other than that "CP160" seems like a convoluted way to say "Level 66."

@ShedsHisTail I believe once you look at it, it's not anything like being level 66

It's like having VR shared account wide is all
    +1

Typicall
    megnin wrote: »
    "One of the great things about basing character strength on Champion Points instead of Veteran Ranks is how favorable it is for playing multiple characters. As Champion Points are shared across your account, all alternate characters on your account are able to access your account's Champion Points at level 50. For example, say you have 160 CP on your account. When you create a new character and level them to 50, they will be able to equip CP 160 gear right away! "

Hmm, yeah, that's a bit odd. Is that bad wording, @ZOS_GinaBruno ? As it stands now on Live, any character on the account can spend the account's Champion Points, even those characters below Level 50. You need Level 50 plus x CPs to be able to wear the CP gear, but you don't need to be Level 50 to gain the attribute bonuses from CPs or to spend them in the passives.

Yeah just bad wording. You can still spend your CP below level 50. You just won't be able to equip the Champion restricted gear until you hit level 50. (the gear in the screen shot for the article requires level 50 and 160CP)

*When things are converted to CP from VR, will VRs who are at >VR16 be given the unearned attribute and skill points bonus retroactively?

"With the removal of Veteran Ranks, we had an extra 16 attribute and 16 stat points that needed to be allocated. Our initial thought was to grant all 16 as soon as you hit Level 50. However, we wanted to make the journey from 1-50 more exciting and rewarding. This lead us to doling out an extra attribute and stat point every 5 levels, and two extra points every 10 levels. This fit the 16 points perfectly and created a nice reward cadence for everyone. "

*A VR16 has the 16 points already. If levels 1-50 are given the 16 points at intervals, what about the VR1 or VR10s? If a VR10 has 10/16 then they must be compensated for the six points they could have earned. Will these be given at conversion?

* Consequently will any non veteran/non CP ranks be given this bonus prorated to what they've earned up to conversion? Does a level 11 get three points added for the bonus at level 5 and two points at level 10 after conversion?

A few examples of what skill points and attribute points a VR5, VR10, & VR16 and any level below 50 will have after the Dark Brotherhood DLC happens would be great.

I've been wonder the same thing. I have four alts "holding" at level 9, one at level 14 and one at level 49 because I'm unsure if they will miss out on the extra skill and attribute points if I hit level 10, 15 and 50 before DB. Some clarification here would be really nice since I'd like to continue the quests these characters are on as soon as possible, without loosing potential skill and attribute points.

You will not miss out on any of the points the current VR level characters have.

Currently you get 1 point for every level. The points for each VR level will be moved to 0-50. These will be distributed a every 5 & 10 levels. I cant locate the post but I believe it will be 1 extra point every 5 levels (ie: 5/15/25, etc) and 2 extra points every 10 levels (ie: 10/20/20, etc). When you hit level 50, you will have the same points as the current VR16 have earned per level.

Any character missing points will be awarded them at first login after the update. So if you have a level 15 character, you should receive the additional 4 points. 1 point for level 5, 2 points for level 10 and 1 point for level 15. If you have a level 50/VR1 character you will get all 16 points.
  • megnin
    megnin
    ✭✭✭
    Balibe wrote: »
    I don't really have any problems with the conversion other than that "CP160" seems like a convoluted way to say "Level 66."

@ShedsHisTail I believe once you look at it, it's not anything like being level 66

It's like having VR shared account wide is all
    +1

Typicall
    megnin wrote: »

You will not miss out on any of the points the current VR level characters have.

Currently you get 1 point for every level. The points for each VR level will be moved to 0-50. These will be distributed a every 5 & 10 levels. I cant locate the post but I believe it will be 1 extra point every 5 levels (ie: 5/15/25, etc) and 2 extra points every 10 levels (ie: 10/20/20, etc). When you hit level 50, you will have the same points as the current VR16 have earned per level.

Any character missing points will be awarded them at first login after the update. So if you have a level 15 character, you should receive the additional 4 points. 1 point for level 5, 2 points for level 10 and 1 point for level 15. If you have a level 50/VR1 character you will get all 16 points.

Awesome! Thank you.
  • jj45
    jj45
    Soul Shriven
    I have a slight concern with how this is being implemented, as I am a returning player as of a couple days ago.

I did most of my VR leveling before Champion Points even existed. I am currently VR9, and do not have many CP because of this. I am also a little over halfway through Cadwell's Gold.

If I do no further playing until this launches, I will be no where need the 160 CP that Cadwell's Gold zones will be moved to. I don't believe I will even have the 90 I will need to keep wearing my current VR9 gear.

Is it intended for old players who might want to return now to be gimped to where they can't pick up where they left off in the main quest? Or is something else going to be done so I can still quest in those zones after the update?
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jj45 wrote: »
    I have a slight concern with how this is being implemented, as I am a returning player as of a couple days ago.

I did most of my VR leveling before Champion Points even existed. I am currently VR9, and do not have many CP because of this. I am also a little over halfway through Cadwell's Gold.

If I do no further playing until this launches, I will be no where need the 160 CP that Cadwell's Gold zones will be moved to. I don't believe I will even have the 90 I will need to keep wearing my current VR9 gear.

Is it intended for old players who might want to return now to be gimped to where they can't pick up where they left off in the main quest? Or is something else going to be done so I can still quest in those zones after the update?

@jj45 You will be given (at least) 90 CP to ensure you are still able to use/wear the same gear you could before, at 90 CP you will still be gaining CP pretty quickly. Although yes you will be in a 160CP zone, you also have the option of running dungeons, or heading to a DLC area or Cyrodiil (which scales) if you feel you do need the full 160CP to complete Caldwell's Gold. Since you have been gone so long, I'm going to guess that when you were playing previously - the Caldwell zones were considerably more difficult than they are now - so at 90CP you will likely still be fine to complete the content.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • jj45
    jj45
    Soul Shriven
    MissBizz wrote: »
    jj45 wrote: »

@jj45 You will be given (at least) 90 CP to ensure you are still able to use/wear the same gear you could before, at 90 CP you will still be gaining CP pretty quickly. Although yes you will be in a 160CP zone, you also have the option of running dungeons, or heading to a DLC area or Cyrodiil (which scales) if you feel you do need the full 160CP to complete Caldwell's Gold. Since you have been gone so long, I'm going to guess that when you were playing previously - the Caldwell zones were considerably more difficult than they are now - so at 90CP you will likely still be fine to complete the content.

Thanks for the reply. So I did resub, so I do have access to DLC, but lets consider other old players who return, and log in as free to play to see how the game has changed. They won't have access to DLC, and if they can't pick up where they left off in their questing, this is going to push away other returning players.

My point is if I can do Cadwell's gold fine now, I shouldn't have a problem continuing it after the update, and if I do, that is a huge oversight by the developers. It was originally max VR10 content after all, not VR16.
  • Tommy198914
    Tommy198914
    Soul Shriven
    Why is vetran rank being taken away I heard it's being done on the 15th of next month
    Edited by Tommy198914 on May 28, 2016 5:17AM
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    prax07 wrote: »
    I am vr4, and after Weeks of playing I have 142cp. It's taken Weeks to get those, so not seeing these accumulate at a very fast pace. I'm very much sweating not having as many cp as every other vr16 when this converts over, and the gap is only getting bigger with those 40 bonus points I won't be getting. To me that's a huge deal. Having 160cp compared to 200 or 400 really is a big deal, can't. See how it wouldn't be. There's already threads about how players are going to kick lesser cp's out of groups.

@Toorlokviing I don't see the problem with people kicking players out of groups simply because they can't do there role. I wouldn't feel bad yet I've seen players now who claim to be over the cap getting kicked from groups, simply because they prevent the group from doing the content in one way or more. What I don't get is how people who don't put the time and effort in feel self entitled to get carried by strangers instead of putting a little effort to be able to do the high end content, after isn't it "High End Content."

But really their are only a far few select few players that are kicking players out of groups just because of CPs. Take that from someone that not at Cap yet but is still get asked by other guilds to either dps or heal dungeons as vWGT, vICP, and even Trial groups. But I do see people getting kicked even tho they do have like 501 plus CPs if they just simply under-perform and either the group can not get a clear because of it or it take a group 1 hour to complete vBC because Capped CP player/s have no clue and don't even """CARE""" one bit about everyone else in the group to even spend about a few minutes to do a little research, or refuses to take advice from other players who are completing said content with great ease otherwise.

The conclusion of my statement is. As Long as you can hold your own weight and perform near or above the level of the group you are in, regardless if you are CP capped or not people roughy %95 of the players in this game will not kick you. However if you became one of THOSE people who are notorious self entitled to other strangers to carry you at the expensive of "THEIR FUN" then yeah good luck to you kind sir/ma'am.
  • Toorlokviing
    Toorlokviing
    ✭✭✭
    @FearlessOne_2014

idk what you were trying to link me from...but i was talking about titles awarded to v16 chars at db drop since there will be a portion of ppl that are caped on cp and finding the extra 40 useless...im of course not one of those ppl as im still sitting around 390 cp but its good to acknowledge those ppl in the player base...after all...they kept this game going while the rest of us where either not interested in dealing with all the bugs in the first 2 years...or simply did not have resources/pc to handle/play the game during that time.
  • comey3ub17_ESO
    comey3ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    My problem with all this is I worked my but off getting to Vet level 16 and now that you are changing this lvl system you dont even give me but 2.5 points per level?
    That is so messed up, why don't I get 10 for each lvl I worked so hard to get, on top of that you are making it easier to earn Vet points.
    First you discount everything I have done in the past by not giving my what I earned in champ points and now you are making it easier for others to get those same points that you cheated me out of.
    So lets say someone managed to get to Vet 16 and they only have 60 CP you are going to give them only 40 which makes them lvl cp100, great you will let them still ware the gear they already had but you just deleveled them, al future earnings are based on that level 100.
    How can you justify what you just did? you just took 120 cp points simply from a vet 16 . you are punishing us for being max leveled.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem with all this is I worked my but off getting to Vet level 16 and now that you are changing this lvl system you dont even give me but 2.5 points per level?
    That is so messed up, why don't I get 10 for each lvl I worked so hard to get, on top of that you are making it easier to earn Vet points.
    First you discount everything I have done in the past by not giving my what I earned in champ points and now you are making it easier for others to get those same points that you cheated me out of.
    So lets say someone managed to get to Vet 16 and they only have 60 CP you are going to give them only 40 which makes them lvl cp100, great you will let them still ware the gear they already had but you just deleveled them, al future earnings are based on that level 100.
    How can you justify what you just did? you just took 120 cp points simply from a vet 16 . you are punishing us for being max leveled.
    Um, no, that Vet 16 will get 160 CPs. And you've already got all the CPs you have earned, as you got them while you were getting VRs. I don't understand why ZOS are giving any extra CPs from VR levels. That's getting extra reward for something you've already been rewarded for.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • m12d12_ESO
    m12d12_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The reasoning behind making this drastic move into full Champion Point system is absolutely obscured. This is like burning the house because its a bit dirty - Come on ZOS this confusing to players and too huge a change for an stablished MMO.
    In other words, it was too radical, not user friendly and absolutely frustrating!

I have played this game since 2013 and went along with all the changes - the ones I liked and the ones I didn't. But this one
    is a stumper in my mind -- Do you not listen to your subscribers? We waited to see what u came up with ...but in PTS it was not fully clear how it would effect us. I don't like it. Doing a way with something coherent and major, such as a regular leveling system was too dramatic and is a bad move. Why not just ad to the levels like - 51, 52, etc.? Keep the champions system but not replace leveling. It would have been much easier for long time players to stomach than this MESS OF Confusion that is NOT going to be player friendly at all.

I tried to describe this to a couple of friends on the fence about ESO and the laughed - loudly. They read the notes and they said " no thanks they would stick with WOW" and some other mmo they play.
    Edited by m12d12_ESO on May 31, 2016 5:19PM
    Accts
    mdzone5 cp 1051
    fragtaster cp 684
    lilly65 cp 652
    Almalexia 212
  • Coolio_Wolfus
    Coolio_Wolfus
    ✭✭✭
    i hope im not the only one who hopped for a title for having v16s before db drop...you know so later on down the road when there are more newbs playing this game you could show off your nice title. of course its per v16 char prior to vet rank drop.

was thinking a title like "old timer" if anyone thinks of a better title for a vet 16 char when db drops by all means list your title ideas. most ppl honestly dont care about the extra 40cp since alot of the ppl playing this game since launch already are capped.
    1. Antique
    2. Veteran
    3. V16 Veteran
    4. Ex Veteran
    5. Got Capped
    6. Olde Timer
    7. I got nerfed
    8. Grind Master